Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My favourite pokemon is Sunkern who is factually the worst one and I don't give a gently caress, he's great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I just started watching Journeys and when I realised Pikachu evolved because he loved Kangaskhan so much I got emotional.

I still kinda think the VA quality dents the cartoon a bit. The acting is not super. I'd change the language and read subs but for some reason Netflix doesn't offer Japanese as an option.

e: what a bad snipe. My copy hasn't arrived yet. Amazon are being slow. I am going nuts.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

oh my god there are so many pokemon in the first couple of areas. I'm dazzled.

diglettless goons, I caught one and I'm not gonna use it so if you're really hurting you can have mine

So far, noticing some occasional slowdown. One in a while a fixed camera angle will clip through the ground for a second. Fading in and out of cutscenes is oddly hesitant. The actual battling and catching is smooth and fast and fun.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I went with fuecoco and it was entirely because of his animations. He kept running up to me all :D and I could not resist him.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Maybe he actually likes pokemon. I thought the song was cute.

This radar is lying to me about Bounsweet dammit.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I'm seriously bummed

Like I know performance isn't important to everyone, and usually I've been able to excuse it. I dunno why it's getting to me this time but it's making me not want to play any further.

I put in hundreds of hours on PLA, so maybe I'm unfairly comparing it to that. But there's little things like not being able to adjust where you throw out your Pokémon that make this feel so cheap and phoned in by comparison

Does the ZL plus ZR trick not work for aiming? The pokecentre lady said it would!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Mr. Funktastic posted:

So are the bugs and glitches really as bad and prevalent as advertised? If so I may hold off on picking up SV until they get some patches in to fix it and improve the performance.

You will see slowdown, you'll see a lack of antialiasing, you'll see weird decisions about dropped frames in crowded scenes. It's not like, heaving with bugs, it's not unplayable, but that's going to be a matter of luck.

As others have said, the reason it's particularly annoying is that the game itself is *very good*. It's the Pokemon game I've wanted to play for ages (though I would want more fashion). It's just that it only mostly works.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

These hoppips are a goddamn hazard.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Wile E. Toyota posted:

So what did y'all name your bread dogs? :kimchi:

Bunty.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Nearly wiped to a wild Mankey! I can't believe he's going to get so cross he'll die. Relatable.

My only issue outside of technical ones is that I feel a bit overwhelmed. So many places! Pokemon! Items lying around! If they'd left in the ability to capture without a battle this would be my perfect game.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

The game is $60 USD and from a company that makes hundreds of millions in net profit. It should probably run correctly on set hardware with only one platform SKU to make the game for.

Oh it's unacceptable yeah. But it's not unplayable and people are just sharing their experiences so other people can make purchasing decisions. Like this is not okay, that it's like this. But we all fuckin bought it anyway.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I like how nearby Pokemon will like, pause and watch the battle. I was fighting a trainer and this nearby Growlithe got super involved, he would bark when moves happened and hop about as if he was excited to watch. Then he ran up afterwards and tried to fight me and Nora the electric rabbit destroyed him, but still, it was cute.

e: omg she's fallen asleep while I was typing and she's got her little paws over her eyes

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Augh I can't commit to a direction, it feels like there's always somewhere else to go. This is the best problem. I never usually dally around like this in Pokemon.

e: oh wow there's a little feature where it advises you whether to learn a move or not

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 19, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I would really love them to patch in a little sparkle effect and sound for shinies. I don't know what the new pokemons' shinies look like and it makes me worry I'm missing them.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Oh no sparkly Dunsparce ran away. I only want to love it! Is it coming back?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Larryb posted:

No? I just can't remember its name and wanted some Pokemon recommendations

Sorry for being curious, nevermind I guess

Greavard is its name I think. Don't know where it is, sorry. Lechonk's evo has a big male-female difference and I always enjoy that, it is still a piggy.

Just caught Tandemaus after seeing them both skipping through the grass and I am in love. And I think the game uses sensible pronouns as in 'They were both sent to your boxes!' so I wonder if it'll do that for Falinks in future.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Goddamn these things. :kimchi:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Larryb posted:

Like I said, I’m not gonna be able to play this myself until tomorrow but I’ve already got the beginnings of a team in mind based on the posts I’ve seen here:

-Quaxly (I’ve gone with water every time and haven’t regretted it so far)

-Flamigo

-Wattrel

-Nymble (I’m aware its first form isn’t great but Kamen Rider Pokemon is too good to pass up)

-Klawf

Any recommendations/substitutions (for example, is there a decent wild fire type you can find early on)? I also have no shame in using legendaries since I don’t play competitively that much so at least one of those guys is probably getting swapped out later in the game anyway

You can get Houndoom and Charcacet and Litleo very early on.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Wait there's really no indication that a Pokémon is shiny this time beyond its color? They didn't include the sparkle explosion this time??

If you're using the autobattle system where your pokemon runs around and kills things, it will refuse to attack a shiny. That's your only other hint.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

MoonCrab posted:

About how long does it take after a game's launch for gf to release official art of all the new pokes? Even though I'm probably gonna pass on this game for a few months, I still wanna see the new dogs :kimchi:

(Not just the literal dogs, the other dogs too)

Serebii will be collecting it asap I should think. Listen I took a picture of the mice I don't know what more you want

I wanna see pics of all the shinies.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Rare candies-- only if a Pokemon is exactly one level from evolving and I don't really want to use it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

How do you even get to the stony cliff titan if it's blocked by mountains? Are there HMs in this game like Rock Climb?

Is that Klawf? You can get to it, there's a spiral path around the cliffs.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

So I'm trying to evolve Pawmi's second into it's final form, and I'm pressing R to let it run around beside me, occasionally curb stomping things along the road. Am I doing this right?

I went round in circles in town for a bit.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Took a few goes but I am content with my look. If they ever sell clothing options as DLC they will pick my pocket so easily.

It just occurred to me that naming my Tandemaus 'Nadja&Laszlo' is gonna seem odd if they spawn children.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

BrainDance posted:

What are our spoiler rules now that the actual games are out? I don't know how this works.

Are actual eevees in the game or just the evolutions? I've found a couple wild evolved ones and it seems like they hid one level 50 of each terastalized around the map? Found 3 so far.

They're in the game. I found one in the bug gym starting area yesterday.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I love Maschiff. I know a red mastiff and they always look so tragic. Exactly like they're about to say 'please take me seriously right now :(' And the one I know is huge, and also terrified of everything, so will try to get in your lap. I love her.

My mice evolved and now there are four of them. I kinda wish it would keep going TBH. I feel so excited playing this, it's just - tech issues aside (and I've been lucky that way), it's so *fun*. It's so *Pokemon*. I feel like I'm on an adventure. I wanted a stronger water type so I headed for water and there they were. This is almost exactly what I wanted. I'm not even minding having to fight to capture any more since the mice got Thunder Wave and Super Fang.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

You can remember fairy by thinking about fiction. They're weak to steel because fairies can't stand cold iron and they're weak to poison like Tinkerbell drinking the poison in Peter Pan.

I know they're strong against dragon but I'm sure there's more about them I'm forgetting

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Flopsy posted:

Finding a charcadet is an absolute motherfucker in this game. For presumably being everywhere they're extremely hard to find. Kinda had to give up my dreams of using a ceruledge because the one I caught has a modest nature. She's too well suited (heh) to being an armarouge.

One just ambled up to me in the starting area just after Los Platos. Meanwhile can I find a bounsweet? I cannot. I've got a Steenee I'm just gonna breed it instead.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

mycatscrimes posted:

Personally I prefer it without voice acting. Adding voice acting just means i'll play the game with the sound on a lot less. I get that I'm the weird one for finding it intrusive though, games have long since moved past my personal preferences on that front.

I really dislike Disco Elysium's voice acting but I realise I'm the only person in the world.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

oh my god the way the new Tentacruel-a-like just fuckin *books* it away from you. I had to bean it with a pokeball because no way was I catching it on foot.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I dunno I was playing SwSh last week and this game feels way swifter than that. I suppose it didn't occur to me to compare it with Arceus cuz I did so little battling in Arceus.

Gonna evolve my primeape, gonna get him so mad he dies. Gonna call him Robin.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Eimi posted:

Yeah I hate anytime a stat change happens if it hits multiple stats.

I don't know if Arceus was faster or not, Arceus managed to make traversal feel far more interesting. The maps here feel boring as hell, no real interesting terrain or secrets to find, at least thus far. As well the wild pokemon don't really feel threatening or as if they're barring the way. If anything the ones I hate the most are the tiny ones you can't loving see because you trip all over them constantly, very annoying.

I've been having a great time running all over the place and finding items and TMs hidden and tera pokemon and stuff. This is one of those moments that really brings home how different tastes can be.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Lux Animus posted:

Found a Red-flower Floetta (Fairy type that holds a flower) with Tera type Grass, which I thought was really cool because its Ability makes all Grass allies (intended for doubles battles, obviously) immune to status effects, which now include itself while it's Terastylized. Neat!

Tera transformations are gonna be such a strategic explosion, if this hasn't been made clear enough.

Other interesting tera finds: a Jolly Ice-Tera Charcadet, a male Water-Tera Pichu (future surfing Rai-guy?), a Jolly Steel-Tera Falinks (named 'The Horns' and wearing a Rocky Helmet ATM), among too many others, and I noticed that only one of the Tandemaus wears the Normal-tera diamond ring hat (all the single ladies?)!

I got a dragon-Tera wattrel and I don't know if it'll ever be useful but it looks neat.

Found the same Floette! I wonder how randomised the overworld tera spawns are or if they have a chance to appear in the same spots for everyone.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Came out of a trainer battle and like five psyducks all standing around going :psyduck:

Feels like they're mocking me

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Larryb posted:

I kind of like that Team Star is basically just a group of juvenile delinquents, also I think this might be the longest period you’ve gone in a Pokémon game prior to meeting the requisite professor.

I like that Terastallization gives Pokémon little visual changes as well (like a giant lightbulb for Pawmi and a waterspout for Quaxly)

You guys weren’t kidding, Flamigo is a loving beast stat wise (especially early on)

Flamigo looks amazing terastaliized too. Dopey balloon bird. Love him. I called mine Jefferson because of Alice in Wonderland.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Hrist posted:

Today a Scyther with a tera diamond on its head wiped my entire team. (it was 5+ higher than 5 of them and spammed a boosted double hit move tbf.) I still have no idea what type that was supposed to be. But that's the first time I've lost a pokemon battle outside of online since RBY. Game is pretty good.

Also I got a bunch of great stuff from the raids that I'm excited to use. But they aren't new to this region. So I'm trying to hold off, and enjoy the new guys for a while first. But the tera gimmick is really fun so far.

If it looked like a huge diamond it was probably Normal type.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

So my dog is getting old and her health is starting to fail and what I'm saying is, I wasn't emotionally prepared for all this. It's that drat Stoutland all over again.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

I'm sorry, that's a tough situation to be in. At least you gave her a long and happy life :unsmith:

Thank you. She is a good girl. A bit longer yet, we hope!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Dumb question but looking at stuff, can Palafin's ability be used in Raid Battles?

How would he change his clothes if he can't leave the field?!

Well that Dark team didn't know what hit them. I have looked up a guide just on what order to do the main stuff in. I won't follow it to the letter but it'll help me keep from forgetting anything.

I enjoyed the flying titan! Some of the setpieces are imaginative and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Flittle is the cutest

There's a lot of adorable to go around this gen!