Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

There was some discussion at the end of the last thread about the lack of Battle Tower and the effects on the post game- but isn't there some sort of randomized school tournament thing? That sounds like it'd be as good or better than the really half assed Battle Towers we've been getting lately. Is it just not that good somehow?

I'm fine with the game being over when it's over, but it feels bad when there are cool post-game Pokemon but nothing to do with them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Flopsy posted:

Is the game actually playable? Because reading about everyone's experience with it sounds like the thing barely functions. :(
Don't worry, the jank is just graphical. So far the gameplay is some of the most streamlined and satisfying in the whole series. I haven't had time to play much but there are so many nice quality of life improvements. If background characters are sometimes 5 fps, that's more funny than game breaking.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Deki posted:

I like the Route 1 spread of pokemon but for gently caress's sake, my radar says there's Diglett nearby but I can't fuckin find any. I want a Diglett. I need a Diglett.
There was one in that cave where you meet your dragon bike, but I killed it by accident and couldn't find another.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

I'm glad to see pokemon going back to its roots and being a buggy mess
Have there been many non-graphical bugs? It's got a janky aesthetic but it plays just fine. (For me, so far.)

Dr. Stab posted:

Which game do I get, the one with the cooler professor or the one where the bike's wheels work?
Whichever version has pants you're okay with.

I think the bike that runs on all fours is fun, but I can't stand the colors associated with it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Pretty cool how many hair styles and colors there are, I can play as a pretty accurate child-version of myself!

Well, except for this Gilligan-rear end hat that entirely defeats the point of having so many hair options!
Press left on the d-pad. You can just take your hat off (and change into other versions of the uniform) at any time, though the feature is locked at the very start of the game.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

This is the most fun I've had with pokemon since I was 10 and I spent all night in the bathroom playing my first video game ever, a copy of pokemon blue that was given to me way too close to my bedtime for me to sleep.

I just spent the last twelve hours straight after work yesterday playing with a friend- 7pm to 7am. You can just join someone's world and mess around doing the same things. There's so much to see and discover and it's a blast to do it with someone else as invested as you. We'd reach a new zone of the game and ooh and aah at all the new pokemon, scream in terror at how under leveled we were, call out cool new pokemon we knew the other would like, get excited whenever someone's pokemon evolved.

We went east first, to deal with Klawf. We kind of over prepared since I had the grass cat and my friend decided to dump all of their xp items into their smoliv to turn it into a dollive that just dominated everything going forward. The raids are fun and streamlined, by the way, and it felt like we had earned my friend's over leveled dollive. I actually felt a bit under leveled with the nearby grass gym, but that was a fun change of pace. We decided after one titan and one gym we should go after the team star fire base to get a start on all three stories. We put effort into our anti-fire pokemon, my friend raising up a wigglet from scratch and me pushing my wooper to evolve into a clodsire.

We got so distracted by all the cool things! We got lost in the wilderness running from hyper aggressive tauros and found ourselves in not-barcelona by accident and then spent well over an hour figuring out all the shops. There was so much stuff there! It was kind of amazing to realize after pouring over shops for so long that we had only been exploring the south side of the city and most of the shops were in the north! On reflection there was really only like one or two big store's worth of stuff spread out between a dozen storefronts, but the experience was amazing. Loved the music in that city.

We got our act together and challenged team star's fire base. The brawl gameplay was weird and novel, but not too hard, even though my friend brought their over leveled dollive by mistake- the level advantage still made her useful. But then we got destroyed by the leader. We each managed to struggle through the torkoal well enough, and then we were just wrecked by what came after. We were completely under leveled.

But that collective defeat was one of the most compelling moments I've ever experienced in any of these games, because we spent the next half hour pooting around on our dragons in different fields trying to figure out what happened, what even was that thing after torkoal, what we could add to our teams to shore up their weaknesses and counter problems we faced. Eventually I found a gyarados in a slightly hidden path underneath not-barcelona and though it nearly wiped out my team, even though I was a higher level, I eventually caught it. But I'm not sure if using a gyarados for something like this would feel like cheating.

While we mused over these issues we went back and beat the bug gym leader, which was laughably easy at this point. We did a bunch of random raids, caught a bunch of random pokemon, and generally wound down.

I get that the graphical jank and general shoddy feeling of parts of the game are a real barrier to some people, and it's legitimately something that makes them unable to enjoy the game, but holy poo poo do I feel sorry for those people because these games are some of the most fun I have ever had period, and it sucks for things like framerate issues to get in the way of that for folks.

And yes, a lot of my personal enjoyment was the company. I'm not going to pretend otherwise. But this is the first pokemon game to allow you to experience it with a friend like this and it is amazing. I feel like I've spent nearly twenty five years of my life dreaming of this moment.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Should I be focusing on Gyms

I did the first one, then fought a titan and kinda wanna poke a team star base but my mons are all around 24ish and I don't want my team to just stop listening to me :/
My understanding is that your pokemon will never stop obeying you. Pokemon that you catch in the wild that were already over the limit when you caught them are the only ones that won't cooperate. It's a very targeted mechanic to specifically keep you from running to a high level area, getting lucky catching a level 50 pokemon, and then just wrecking the rest of the game. It shouldn't be an issue in regular gameplay. Assuming I understand the system correctly.

Calico Heart posted:

Can someone help me out? In S/V how do I k ow if/get my starter’s secret ability…? I’m finding hidden abilities a really confusing and not straightforward concept
Each species only has one hidden ability. Look them up on Serebii or something and it will say ability1, sometimes ability 2, and then hidden ability. Starters only have one ability and one hidden ability so there's no ambiguity there. Other pokemon come in two flavors (that you can swap between with an expensive but purchasable item), and an additional hidden version.

I believe you can only get hidden abilities with an incredibly rare item that drops from the highest level raids. It's postgame stuff you won't have to worry about unless you're planning a pvp team or something.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I've already said it, but it bears repeating, but after a weekend obsessively playing this, it is easily the best pokemon experience I've ever had.

Folks were wondering about what the point of multiplayer was earlier and I think I can answer that, having played most of the game with a friend so far.

You can't trade or battle together or anything, but you can go "oh wow, look at the cool thing I found!" "I saw a hapiny spawn over here, let's see if we can find another one!" "Look at the view from this tower!" "I found the TM for dig here- that'll help with the electric gym in that crazy city on the horizon."

Just traveling through a cave together, or seeing a sign that says "dangerous pokemon ahead" and running into a gang of hariyamas chilling on the road five seconds later and laughing about it together is a magical experience.

That absurd physics based sandwich stacking game is even more hilarious with a friend. "Alright, just carefully stack that cheese... Nooo! We've lost another chorizo!" Great dumb fun.

Most of the challenges are solitary, sure, though it's still fun to react to them at the same time. And at least one of the gyms is effectively co-op: the normal gym is fun with is premise of confronting other gym challengers for their clues. My friend and I changed each other to figure out the puzzle, just for fun.

But my favorite multiplayer moment was when my friend was trying to breed Tatsugiri so she could use one at a level that would obey her. I visited and we made a sandwich to give egg power. But later when the eggs were hatching they were all Smoliv! Turns out my male Meowscarada and my friend's female Arbolivia were getting it on while we made a sandwich and didn't give the fish any time to do their thing!

Now my grass cat has a bunch of bastard olives, so if anyone got a level 1 Smoliv in a wonder trade yesterday that could be the story behind it.

I don't know if the game is "good" or not, and I really don't care. I've had more fun with it than any other Pokemon game, easily, and that's all that matters to me.

Edit:

The Bee posted:

They do seem to be based on proximity, yeah. Honestly, the grass gym should be pretty fine? The bug gym's lower level than it but not really by much.
Oh it's 100% proximity. I read someone say it told you what was next level appropriate and that was a lie because it told us to do the titan of the lake and that was loving hard. We did it though and the reward was great, but yeah... don't listen to the pokecenter advice!

Eiba fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 21, 2022

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I always go with new pokemon, but this time I got to use a Mankey on a technicality. It's great. Mankey is one of my favorite pokemon that I've never gotten to use because it was always a version exclusive to the wrong game.

Annihilape's cry is pretty disturbing. I love it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Larryb posted:

Ah, that's not as helpful a feature as I assumed it was then. Well, my starter's already in the 20's with a few attack upgrades thanks to raids so for the moment i guess I'll just stay the course and see what happens.
I've found a more helpful system is wild pokemon levels. If you outlevel the wild pokemon outside of a town, you can take the gym. If they vastly outlevel you, you're in for a fun challenge!

Mr E posted:

Clodsire has been my unexpected MVP so far, just a tanky cute mon that can learn a good amount of moves. I've finished 3 gyms, 2 star bases, and 2 titans. I haven't had issues with the gyms due to covering their weakness when I got there, same with the titans, but the last fights for the star bases I've done gave me a bit of trouble.
With a grass starter and water absorb on my clodsire, I've been totally immune to all my rival's terrestrializstions. It's great to be immune to two types. Slap on a leftovers, teach it toxic and dig, and it can take on the world. I love it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I mean, there's a huge difference between being able to find someone to trade you version exclusives/swap trade evolves and having to start your game over twice, trading your starter pokemon to another account and then getting them back, and THEN trading version exclusives/trade evolves. In reality the sheer number of pokemon in this game means it was going to involve some pretty sweaty poop socking regardless but red/blue completion was a pretty chill, if relatively time intensive.
You're right that it's a pretty intensive affair, but you realize anyone can breed their starter with a ditto and have infinite eggs so they'll be happy to give them away, right? You don't have to do all that complicated swapping to other accounts- just find someone who started with a different starter.

I'm kind of confused as to why you think it was more chill in Red and Blue. The starter situation was way worse since there was no breeding. You did have to find someone to reset their game a bunch of times to get the other starters back then. You couldn't even find people who beat the game since getting a Charizard didn't give you access to a Charmander, it basically had to be someone giving away their fresh starter at the start of the game. Twice.

Unless I'm forgetting something you could never get all the starter pokemon in one playthrough in any mainline game outside of Pokemon Yellow, though at least with breeding after Gen 2 you could find people willing to part with eggs.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Zore posted:

Yeah, but in R/B the item duplication glitch was pretty widespread knowledge. Being able to dupe rare candies and vitamins made training a complete breeze compared to literally any other game.
To be honest, grinding the raids in Sword/Shield and Scarlet/Violet are basically as easy as abusing MissingNo.'s bounty. Not as easy to get to level 100, but you easily get more than enough to just get pokemon to evolve. And it doesn't gently caress up your hall of fame.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The school stuff is... weirdly good? Like, it's just text dump from pokemon characters, but I don't know. There were some good amusing moments and fun characterizations in there.

It's so bizarre that it's just kind of stuck off in a corner that you have to actively seek out. Who's going to actively seek out a series of lectures? Don't get me wrong, it's totally the right call that it's all optional, but it seems like a lot of effort for something like that.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Deki posted:

Yeah, what the gently caress. I just did these fights and got the same error
That sounds bad. Really bad. The hype music is a really big part of the experience. Is there a way around it if it happens, like resetting the game or something, or if you've got this you're just hosed?

Have most people been getting the correct music?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Echophonic posted:

Man, I guess I have to head down to the southwest to find Sinistea, huh? Just wanted some chips to get Charcadet evolved and maybe swap for the other armor.
I'll give you some advice I wish I had: the Sinistea ruins in the southwest are in the second to last gym town by level. It's difficult late game territory. Charcadet evolves into Ceruledge at like level 40 if you're doing the game straight.

You can find ways of sneaking up there early through a back tunnel. Check out the odd brown snaking path by the coast. You might need a few upgrades for your dragon bike.

Good luck!

Personally I just gave up on Charcadet when it was level 30 and useless and I still hadn't found a single Sinestea.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I...no if you just explore north of the 3rd lowest level gym town you can get to where it evolves at like level 25 ish on average since the wild life is like 23-28 in the area. Like even just following levels it's almost half what you're saying, lol. hell the area AFTER that town is only like level 32-38!

Just go north of the electric gym town and follow the main path till you hit another town. There's a guy in the middle of it basically screaming "COME GET YOUR EVO ITEMS"
Welp! I somehow missed those guys! Oops! That makes a lot more sense than all the bullshit I thought you had to do.

No regrets giving up on Ceruledge though. Got an Annihilape instead and absolutely love that angry guy.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I'm glad other people had trouble with Mela. It's totally not clear what level you're supposed to be at that point so she was a huge challenge. I needed to actually strategize and come back to it a second time.

It was great! This has been the most fun pokemon game, basically ever, because I've stumbled on things too early and had to deal with really difficult challenges. The hardest fight in the game for me was Arven because I basically went up the west in geographical order, which meant I was dealing with really difficult titans way too early. I was still in the 30s when I first fought Arven and got surprisingly far against his team. I kept coming back every so often to test myself again. It was great.

Open world fixed level Pokemon really is the best compromise between accessibility and challenge. There's enough content that there's always going to be something about at your level that you can take on fairly easily, but you can also just go somewhere else and have a really rough time and have to figure out how to deal with it. I've seen some criticism that they should give more of an indication as to what's an appropriate level, but honestly unless you're doing a blind nuzlock who cares if you find yourself destroyed by something out of your league? Just make note and come back later when you're stronger. It's a lot more fun to blindly stumble about and feel the thrill of discovery, and I'm glad they didn't take that experience away with a bunch of signposts.

Such a good game.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So I caught a Scream Tail in Violet. Is that supposed to happen? My friend and I were doing the endgame at the same time and we had been doing the whole multiplayer thing. She caught an Iron Bundle in Scarlet.

During that final story sequence we couldn't see each other running around, but I guess we could see and interact with each other's Pokemon spawns?

It's funny because I'm pretty sure I've seen Larvitars flicker into existence briefly while we're exploring together, but they quickly disappear on my end, as Scarlet exclusives. But at the end of the game there was just a hosed up ancient Jigglypuff standing there with no explanation.

Area Zero is a really mysterious place I guess.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So by any objective standard Kanto was a lame, empty post game.

People aren't objective though. It owned in every iteration purely based on nostalgia. Remember that really long squiggly route between Lavender Town and Fuchsia City that you really never had to do? It's back and you get to wander around it again!

I do not rate GSC or HGSS that highly. Near the bottom of my list actually. But as empty of content Kanto is, it has never been an empty experience just because of what that arrangement of videogame tiles means to me.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Flopsy posted:

My main issue back in the day was what they had to trim back to make it all fit. Viridian forest got chopped down, Lavender tower got converted into a radio station, Cinnabar island disintegrated during a volcanic eruption etc. It was just this sense of hey remember all that poo poo you loved about Kanto? Well it's all gone now--ENJOY. It was handled better in the remakes (they left the forest alone thank God) but still there's this odd feeling of loss. Who the gently caress makes a radio station out of a funerary building for anyway?
See, I actually liked that stuff. Made the nostalgia hurt. But in a good way.

HopperUK posted:

I'm not sure it's going to be possible to separate out 'nostalgia' from 'I was a literal child when I played it' from 'it was my favourite game in all other ways' to find some kind of Objective Truth on this matter to be honest.
Yeah, that is essentially my point. Was it weird and empty? Sure, I can see that. Did I get good feelings walking through the familiar places I played as a small child? Yes. So was it "good"? I don't care that's beside the point. I enjoyed it. Other people might not. That's fine.

Stux posted:

literally never grinded in the game as a child. once mroe this thread is laid low by rpgs 10 year olds easily conquored lol
I figured out how to emulate a Japanese copy of Pokemon Gold before it came out in the US when I was like 10. I couldn't read anything and got stuck on the part where you had to deliver the pokemon egg or something, but I wanted to see what Cyndiquil evolved into so I sat there on route 31, as far as I had gotten, grinding him up until he evolved.

That's my story of grinding in a pokemon game as a 10 year old.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

oddium posted:

being underleveled is the only thing that makes the single player game hard which is why hg is the best. also the best setting and story
Actually that's why Scarlet and Violet are the best. Never have you had nearly so many opportunities to get completely wrecked in a Pokemon game. Getting destroyed and going through my team trying to figure out how I could tweak it to overcome the wall I just slammed into is the most fun I've had with Pokemon in 25 years.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I was literally just trying to Google this to understand why I’ve seen people spend hundreds of hours to breed perfect IV Pokémon

I get that higher attk /spattk means more damage per physical/special hit and higher def/spdef protects you better from physical/special moves, but why breed when you can use those candies or whatever?
There is literally no reason now that bottlecaps are an accessible thing. People have just been traumatized into being obsessive perfectionists by past generations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I don't mind being under leveled, it's being overleved I hate. The game is easy enough without accidentally being five to ten levels over the "challenge"

Knowing the highest level Pokémon a trainer would use and following the level curve was way more fun for me because I got to control what I faced.
Here's my solution to that which I would totally have done if I knew the structure of Paldea and I really want to try on a subsequent playthrough:

Take one team and go west. Get as far as you can, fight poo poo you should be able to, have a blast.

Then box that team, and start over with another low level team of 6 pokemon and go east.

You get to play with 12 guys, the 2nd team gets to have a lot more diversity, and you're always wildly under leveled with intense fights.

By the time your two paths meet up in the north maybe pick 3 from each team to be your final guys. Seems like it would be a fun way to keep the game challenging and use a lot of pokemon without being too much effort or too contrived a challenge.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Framboise posted:

Reaching new cities in SV isn't even fun-- there's very little to interact with and each city has a bunch of buildings you can't go into, with the same food and clothing shops that have maybe only a couple differences from the others.
I understand this isn't a critical part of your point, but the bolded part it's totally wrong. They're the same clothing chains, but they have completely different inventory. I don't think there's any clothing duplicates in the whole world. At least none that I noticed. Maybe some very basic things I skipped over.

I was very fortunate to be exploring the world with a friend. Reaching each new city was incredibly exciting. We'd run around gawking at all the sites, pointing out what was cool and what was dumb, all on a quest to find the clothing shops to find cute new bags and hats. The clothing stores were a big part of the draw of each new town.

As far as exploring the open world, the exciting parts we liked to communicate with each other were mainly what new pokemon we saw, and where there were TMs hidden. TMs are a funny thing. 99% of them were effectively useless, but for some reason it was always exciting to find another yellow ball. Even if it was a duplicate it felt like you were more free to just throw that move on a pokemon without worrying about crafting another. Since you can relearn moves and TMs it felt like you could do that as much as you wanted. Of course in fact it ended up not having a whole ton of utility, but the point is it felt good, and that meant exploring felt good.

That's just my experience though, and it was very heavily influenced by the company I had while I explored. The game is definitely set up so that you can just go straight from point A to point B and have the game be a series of gym trials and nothing else. It's all what you make of it. If different pokemon and TMs and atmospheric vistas don't do it for you... well, that's all there is in the open world.

Personally that was more than enough and it ended up being the best Pokemon experience I've ever had.

FoolyCharged posted:

But making pokemon you caught personally unusable because you didn't want to do things in the order they wanted you to is the opposite of that?
They're usable after you beat the gym near where you caught them, unless you skipped a bunch of gyms.

It's a sensible system so you don't just go to the highest level area first thing, catch a level 50 pokemon, and just destroy everything in the game with it. If you want to destroy everything in the game with a level 50 pokemon you gotta work a bit first. I think that's fair.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 10, 2022

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Have I misinterpreted EVs? I thought you only got EVs from participating in a battle.

I was raising a new team of pokemon for postgame/raids/what-have-you and figured I might as well EV train them. I maxed out my Iron Moth's special attack and speed while I had the rest of my team in my party so they'd level up at the same time, since I was basically starting from scratch with all these guys.

When I went to start my next pokemon and checked their EVs they already had a small number of special attack and speed EVs! All of my benched pokemon had the same little spikes in special attack and speed! How did they get those EVs? Do you get EVs without ever participating in battle?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Hammerite posted:

Goons always matter of factly asserting things that they came up with that I have no idea how they arrived at them or what they're based on. Sometimes I just feel like posts have a multi-volume backstory I wasn't in the room for
The long haired hiker/camper NPC has a weird expression.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

strongly wish that they would bring back BW2's Hard Mode in future games (albeit with a far less stupid unlock condition). The fights in these games are so much fun when you take them on underleveled - you can do larry at level ~25 but he'll make you work for it - but it's a shame that you can only do a couple of gyms like that unless you basically throw out your team for every town. Brassius is a fantastically insane bastard, but I'll never be able to have an enjoyable fight with him because he's an early gym leader.

nemona truly is the most relateable rival in the series. stop holding back and fight me for real, dammit! :argh:
I trained up a new team for the post game. I'm keeping them all less than 60 (except my starter who's 70, but I'm not the kind of person who boxes their starter!) so hopefully the gym tour is a bit of a challenge.

Haven't actually done it yet so who knows how it'll actually go but that's my attempt at making a hard mode for myself.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

gotta finish all the paths (8 badges, defeat all titans, defeat all star leaders), become champion, finish area zero boss, defeat the gym leaders again, finish the academy ace tournament, get a phone call that says a bunch of hard raids have popped up, clear a few of those, then get another phonecall saying an even more dangerous raid has popped up
I will say I've only done the first thing behind spoiler tags there and I'm already getting some 5 star raids- assuming those are the first level of hard raids you have to beat a few of.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Is there some reason more people aren't using Annihilape? I haven't bothered doing raids online, but having just started solo raids it's managed to take out (some) 6 star raids pretty handily.

Rage Fist's power up (apparently) doesn't get reset when you get knocked out. It also learns bulk up, drain fist, and screech for a bunch of setup you probably only want to bother with if you're doing it solo, and even then I've had the AI chip damage reset buffs/debuffs before I was done setting up.

But in any case Rage Fist seems like a pretty good move since it's a power up that can't be reset, and Annihilape is fairly bulky and physically powerful.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Has anything from gen 6+ ever gotten any attention in subsequent generations, like a regional form or a new evolution? We just got a Bisharp evolution which is pretty exciting, but I think that's the only post-gen-3 pokemon who's ever gotten a new evolution in a later generation, unless I'm forgetting something.

Basically it'll be a depressingly long time before gen 9 pokemon get a touch-up to make them more viable.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Hexmage-SA posted:

Beat Victory Road. I actually lost once to Geeta and was very surprised when I got to skip the Elite Four to get to the rematch immediately. Then I met up with the best Pokémon rival and had a battle that ended with my Clodsire versus her Quaquaval, which absorbed Aqua Step and tanked Ice Spinner to win with two Earthquakes. I was pretty happy with this outcome because I'd long since grown attached to Clodsire after having used his Paldaean Wooper form to mow down fairies and such at the start of the game.

Now onto the mysterious Area Zero. I'm honestly kind of excited to finally see what's the deal with this place.
I used my clodsire (and wooper) against Nemona in every battle after the first one and she never learned it had water absorb! It was great. Water absorb on a pokemon that should be weak to water moves is a ton of fun 'cause it seems to bait out the AI literally every time. It never gets old.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

In my dream Pokemon game they'd keep the ride pokemon slot like they have in this game, but you could put any pokemon in there that you could ride. Some would be fast, some would have more utility, but the important bits would be that you caught them- I want to ride my pokemon, not some forced rental pokemon. Also important: you don't have to fight with them or have them on your team. I don't want to bring back modern HM slaves to get around. Just let us equip our own pokemon to ride!

The game could give you a free cyclazar or something to start with so you'd always have something efficient to ride, but if you want to swap it out with a rapidash or machamp or whatever, you should be able to.

I don't imagine it would be particularly easy to implement dozens of riding animations for various pokemon, so I don't seriously expect it, but I think it would be really fun!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Saagonsa posted:

Hidden power fire was very popular and losing that crippled things that absolutely cannot deal with steel types otherwise.

Tera blast is neat, but it being so restricted feels not great compared to how hidden power was.
That kind of sounds like hidden power was taking away one of the advantages that steel was supposed to have- that some things just can't deal with them. Shouldn't there otherwise borderline steel types that become more viable without it?

I'm not that into the competitive scene so I don't know what effect it really has on the health and diversity of all that, but it seems like more limitations and asymmetries is a more interesting system. Though obviously if those interesting limitations also mean there are way fewer viable pokemon, I can see how that's lame.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

In addition to this, what is the best way to level up to do 5/6/7 raids consistently? I imagine once you can farm the high end raids its xp candy, but what do you do to get to that point?
You don't need level perfect 100 pokemon to do 5 star raids. Your end game story team should be able to take some of them on, enough to get you the xp candies to start working on raid specialists. If you're struggling start with 4 star raids- they still give you a fair bit of xp candies. And even then you don't need to be shooting for level 100 straight away. I raised up some raid pokemon to like level 60 or 70 and only boosted them further when I got destroyed by a raid.

I did all my raids solo, so I'm not sure if this is bad etiquette online, but I'd hope people wouldn't care if your pokemon aren't perfect for 5 star raids.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

pseudodragon posted:

How hard are the Cinderace raids? I will probably only have time to build one dude before the event kicks off. Does it require specific builds that are just used for the event or would a more general build like the Grimmsnarl build listed earlier that I can use for other stuff still be viable? Like where would they rate on the scale of "do whatever as long as you're actively being an rear end and optimization is just to speed run the encounter" to "If you do not follow the strat with frame perfect accuracy, you will wipe" would 7s fall?
You can do Cinderace solo with a Slowbro. It might even be easier 'cause you can set up more or less at your leisure with the AI allies being so useless you'll have plenty of time to set up. You want:
Stored Power
Nasty Plot
Iron Defense
Slack Off

Just buff everything- defense first- and Stored Power will do insane damage. Slack off as needed. You won't one shot it, but you'll come close. You should be bulky enough to set up a little bit again after your buffs are wiped to take it out on your own.

This Slowbro build seemed fun to me so I didn't mind building it as one of my first raid pokemon.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Darox posted:

Shadow Claw has a bigger damage number and is therefore better. 70 > 50, that's just math. This is how I judged every move as a child and why my teams were filled with hydropumps, fireblasts & thunders.
Me too! And that's how I got an intuitive grasp of statistics as a child. 80% may mean something will probably happen, but if you're doing it with any regularity you do not want to be counting on a mere 80%.

HD DAD posted:

I’m 34 years old and I beat Violet mostly spamming Play Rough, because I am lazy and dumb
Me too! And that is how I got a new perspective on statistics as an adult. 90% is also really frustrating! You can kind of rely on it in a way that you can't for 80%, but there's a huge difference between a 90% move and a 100% move, particularly when the situation is close enough that hitting in a particular round really matters.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

If a type is strong against something and also resists it, I can just about remember that. If you split it up in weird ways I begin to get lost.

So like I can remember that Dark resists Fighting because Fighting is strong against Dark.

But Dark is weak to Bug? Really? I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the idea that there are viable bug type attacking moves, and now you're telling me dark types have to watch out for them?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

If they add the Suicune and Virizion from the journals to the DLC then it's going to confirm the idea of Paradox pokemon being based on hopes/dreams, as those are explicitly something someone just came up with out of their own imagination.

It's actually a bit weird that they don't really confirm that idea in the base game. It's very strongly hinted at with how badly each professor dreamed of certain types of pokemon. It's actually a pretty nice and subtle layer to the story that's pretty clear when you think about it, but you do actually have to think about it a bit. That's a nice nuance for a game like this.

It does make the AI professor "going off to have adventures in the past/future" feel like a tragic euphemism for destroying itself. But who knows, if dreams come true in Area Zero, maybe they are off exploring some other world.

Man, the story in this game was surprisingly good in a lot of ways.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Araxxor posted:

Yeah pretty much the only known details about those are their moves and that the illustrations in the books are red herrings. The real versions of those mons look different apparently.
How can that be known, exactly?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

There is no canon.

Canon only matters for anticipating new stories that reference old stories. The specifics of these stories will never be referenced again. All these fictional stories are equally real. There is no canon. Embrace ambiguity and appreciate everything just for what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Treecko posted:

I'll try Thief

I want to sell the light balls I'm Pokebroke
Thief doesn't work at all like that this generation, even if you successfully steal an item in battle.

I was so proud of myself for being prepared enough to steal leftovers from some ace trainer I met on a random route early in the game, but the game didn't let me keep them.