Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I'll get the thread started: your favorite Pokémon is the worst one and my favorite Pokémon is the best one, happy to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

get out of my comfort zone.

Where we're going, we won't need comfort zones.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

My copy doesn't get here until later today via Amazon but lol, I don't think I've ever seen the first few pages of a Pokémon game's release be universally 'uhh, this is kinda nice but also this is very broken'. Heavy Cyberpunk first few days vibes in the thread.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Excellent, I love trainer customization.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I would just like to acknowledge that after reading this thread all day, my copy of Violet showed up, I popped it in, and my camera glitched out the instant I stood up from my chair in my bedroom (literally the first player interaction of the game). Pokémon is my favorite franchise.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I do appreciate that my mom in this game is a MILF, and that by immediately offering my school's headmaster a 'cuppa', we've established that I'm Brit expat trash living in Spain ruining everyone else's lives. It's the little attention to detail that matters.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Game runs a little weird, but my love for Fernando is strong and real.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

worms butthole guy posted:

i really liked Lets Go, kinda liked Shiny Diamond, hated Legends. Would I like this game from a gameplay view?

It's closer to Diamond or Let's Go than it is Legends. I would argue the bigger issue is how much you like open world games, because it's basically the Diamond structure with the Legends open-ness.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Next generation will have a kebab mini-game where you have to skewer ingredients using the gliding mechanics from PLA.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I've been running support Umbreon all morning trying to help people get their Greninjas, and hot drat, public groups are wild. No matter how many screens I drop or Taunts I toss off to stop the Double Team, some pubbie shows up with a Charizard and I'm like, Well OK.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Does the Steam Engine ability stop water damage or just boost speed when hit by it? Wondering if I could turn this shiny Coalossal into something useful. :v:

You still take the damage before you get the boost.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Lux Animus posted:

What Big Chansey doesn't want you to know! Where and how to find Herba Mystica recipes for humans. Ten Potions later, I woke up next to an Amoongus...

I took a pill in Paldea to show Big Chansey I was cool.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Got Pikachu on the third try with a pubbie group running support Umbreon. Toss up Light Screen and Reflect, Snarl to drop its SpA, and cheering Heal Up when anybody gets low. I definitely prefer support playing with randos, 95% of the time they're all focused on DPS, so keeping them alive and with damaged minimized is the easiest way to not lose your sanity. Play Rough sorta sucks as a Dark type, but with the screen up and somebody dropping Chilling Water (someone's alway using Chilling Water) it's not a huge deal.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Iron Leaves is a certified pubbie-killer. I don't think I've seen a five star wipe groups as fast as this guy does.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Bede's not a jerk rival, he's just a douchebag, and I really like that distinction. Gary Oak was a jerk rival because his whole purpose was to grind you into the ground. That's cool. But I enjoy a good quasi-antagonist who just exists to be a big piece of poo poo, not because of anything specifically against you, but just because they suck, real bad.

Bede walked so Melli could run.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Hahahahaha you joking right? There's like a million fuckin mons in this poo poo

What you gotta know is, the dev team will spend months coding 151 different curry flavors into a completely optional minigame in SW/SH, but nobody wants to clean up one of the core functions of the game, because that's boring and dumb.

Please understand.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Pokémon Box organization:

- Living Dex (National Order)
- Various Forms (Vivillion, Minior, Unown, everything except Alcremie, gently caress that)
- Best Pals
- Legendaries
- Shinies
- Jank poo poo I Got Trading

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

indigi posted:

is Decidueye likely to have any electric type counter moves? rock and ice will have to deal with fighting moves

I don't think Decidueye gets anything Ground in previous gens, so unless they've changed the move pool for this gen, I don't think he'll have anything that strictly wrecks Electric.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

PKMN Trainer Red fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 8, 2023

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I'm just sitting on top of this loving mountain waiting for some little rear end in a top hat with a Totodile to come get absolutely hosed by my Pikachu.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Thank you for remembering how much I love my beautiful dog boy, he's perfect in every way and the hilarious addition of a sound chip that makes him sound like Scooby-Doo having a seizure pushes it over the edge for me.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I don't mind playing with pubbies in online raids, part of the charm is planning something that can help carry the ten year old playing for the first time.

But the actual online experience -- the long waits between turns, the random pauses and unpauses as other people select moves (or don't!), the lag in updating information, the absolute commitment to not providing you with literally any helpful information about your teammates... that poo poo's pretty rough.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I need to fix my one gang tag and I haven't had a Pokémon one in a while, what do we think of something like this?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

indigi posted:

can they be chomping

HopperUK posted:

If we settle on one I'll queue em :)

Bless you.

[Edit: I can also make other gang tags if nobody wants to be reminded of the awful sandwich mini game, let me know your ideas.]

PKMN Trainer Red fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 13, 2023

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

indigi posted:

I’d have a PKMN Trainer Red fanboy gang tag if I could

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Whoops, forgot to compress -- THIS one is small enough.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Kestral posted:

New player here - am I sleeping on Normal types? Because every time I run into some rando trainer with an Oinkologne I get absolutely bodied. Candina the Model killing half my team with lipstick'd pig is very haunted. Why does this level 20 pig have 80-power Steel moves?! :psyduck:

Normal types rule because sometimes the devs will give them absolutely ridiculous move pools, and you can get surprise sniped by something unexpected, like the terrible pig. Kicks rear end.

HopperUK posted:

The gangtag is uploaded! I'm heading for bed now. Post if you want it.

Hell yeah I want the tag. You can toss my Taser Balls one; I know I have two spook ones but I have to keep both of them so I match my brother MacheteZombie. Also, if you can put them both on the same line with the marquee, I think I screwed that up and now one is slightly lower than the other and it makes me want to cry, thank you, I love you

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

HopperUK posted:

I just liked the name of Signal Beam.

I will be tackling tag requests later on, will post when I think I'm done so folk who missed out can PM me. I'm thinking I'll give it a day or two so people have time to spot it.

Thank you, Hop!

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Eh, it's not worth anyone spending a lot of time on, I think I'll survive. Thank you so much for putting in the time to do all this!

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Egg Bomb is the one that made me a little salty. As a kid, I thought Exeggutor literally throwing one of his heads at someone was the coolest thing on the planet. Now they all stay firmly attached to its stupid head. :jerkbag:

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

One day I hope we get a team-up game with Clive and The Masked Royal so we can finally get some closure on these mysteries!

PKMN Trainer Red fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 14, 2023

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Mods are gone, posts photos of dogs

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

CAN'T STOP WON'T STOP

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

This is another one where you truly need someone to play dedicated support. I feel like the 7★ raids were designed for a battle system that doesn't actually exist in reality, one where you have some degree of communication with the people you're raiding alongside in order to get people doing dedicated damage, people doing Status work, and people doing screens and healing. If you had a local group of four that you could do some light planning with, most the raids would be fun and a little challenging, but it's truly just rolling the dice when you play with pubbies or NPCs. I very rarely enter a public raid with a dedicated damage mon any more, I have MUCH better luck playing healer.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

First 2/3 of the Decidueye raids:

This ain't too bad!

Last 1/3 of the Decidueye raids:

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Flopsy posted:

Out of curiosity is it possible to breed down vivillian patterns if they're on the female? I have an ocean pattern one but she's in a love ball. I'd like to see if I could get that pattern in a quick ball.

Negatory, good buddy -- unless something has changed in the last few weeks, any egg from a Vivillon will have the 'default' pattern rather than the pattern of the parent. I'm pretty sure this gen's default pattern is the Fancy Form. I could be wrong of course, but they haven't let you pattern breed them before AFAIK.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Well shoot.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

indigi posted:

they got some shine by providing the inciting incident for SuMo

I love that Spearow/Fearow is just the default 'rear end in a top hat' Pokémon. You need an unrepentant shithead Pokémon for plot reasons? Here's your vile bird, it hopes you die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007