Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I love the smell of a fresh Pokémon thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

arrowdust posted:

How's the battle speed?

I never really finished Shield because I just got sick of the battle system. But the new critters in SV do look good.

What do you mean you got sick of the battle system?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

arrowdust posted:

After playing every gen except XY and except the remasters like FRLG, the battle system just felt samey and slow. I'm contemplating whether the battles in SV are different/faster enough to merit a playthrough, or whether I'm just done with the Pokemon franchise forever I guess.

No, the battle system hasn’t changed much.

Maybe you’d be interested in Legends: Arceus though? Catching is the main focus in that game and what little battling there is is pretty quick

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

wizard2 posted:

Is there a way to see what your Tera Type bonuses and weaknesses are? even just an app or a website, bc I got a Psychic Tinkaton and that SEEMS like itd be a neat thing to me but I honestly dont know what it means or how exactly I benefit

The short answer is you become a Psychic type(with the same disadvantages as any Psychic type) and Psychic moves will do more damage. If you don’t have a Psychic move you can use Tera blast and it’ll become Psychic while you’re Terastalized

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Blaziken386 posted:

does anyone know if there's something specific you need to do to get the version-exclusive tauros variants to spawn? I know it's supposed to spawn as the leader of a pack of five, but I've been running around for like 20 minutes without one showing up. Do I have to do a certain gym battle or something, or are they just stupidly rare?

If you're looking on the east side of the map I've never seen one there. On the west side I instantly found 2 though

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It turns out the top bun of a sandwich doesn’t matter at all, so you can do stuff like this without any penalties

https://twitter.com/WargleRathat/status/1596744884035399680?s=20&t=CoYhzcBFRJNlJIftxhfHlg

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah on some sandwiches with tons of ingredients the bun is a liability, so just toss it in the trash

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

This affects more than just that too. For example moves with below 91% accuracy ALWAYS miss on the first turn

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Larryb posted:

To both you and the enemy (and sometimes more of the former than the latter)

It’s only because of how the raid bosses health works, in regular battle the recoil is manageable.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Can you fail at catching pokemon of ruin or is it like terra battles with guaranteed catch?

If you KO them they just go back into the shrine, it’s quite nice

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Did my first shiny hunt with a level 3 Bug Sandwich in the desert.

It went well

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

HootTheOwl posted:

Did SwSh have sleep animations for battle?
Pokemon leaving their eyes open during sleep stands out to me this gen and I thought we were past it and/especially because during picnics pokemon can just doze off and close their eyes.

Yeah I think it’s a bug

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

HootTheOwl posted:

Wait, you can catch multiples of this?

There’s another one in the story, you can catch it postgame. This was probably done because you can’t trade away your ride mon, this one you can.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I put them all in Dusk balls. Conveniently 2 are in caves too

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nodosaur posted:

Next 7 star raid is Cinderace with a Fighting Tera type.

How nice they're still allowing my Azumarill to stay useful...

It’s very likely it will have Gunk shot

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What's the advantage of using shell bell over leftovers? I haven't spent much time in the competitive scene and I'm curious

Raiding doesn’t have much to do with competitive really

Also Leftovers is really bad for raiding because of the text after each attack, since it’s realtime(sorta)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Offline raids tend to be easier because you don’t get penalized when AI teammates die

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Can you transform from a teammate?

Yup!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There’s some extra story for the main charcters(Nemona, Arven, Penny) in the school in postgame and they’re a really nice touch, especially Penny’s. They invite you to their dorm room at the end

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Avalerion posted:

So when can you capture the future/past donphan in the desert area? Read online it should be there a day after defeating the titan form of it but not finding it.

It should be there after defeating it, not sure how long ingame it would take to spawn. It’s not directly in front of the Herba mystica cave if that’s where you’re looking

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

indigi posted:

why is Azumarill such a popular raid Pokémon? in my experience the past few days they would come in, belly drum, immediately die, and repeat til the raid wiped

Even without support they can almost one-shot the boss if they survive to do one attack(and get all their health back with Shell bell).

The only issue is people bring them to EVERYTHING, even stuff that will just kill them before they can attack. Also Play Rough makes the boss HP bar do wonky things.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Muscle Tracer posted:

I recently had a raid where someone attempted to bring an egg, and apparently succeeded? Not sure if it was some kind of glitch, as I immediately canceled the raid.

Thankfully it’s just a display bug at the recruit screen, it’ll be a normal mon during the actual raid.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

HopperUK posted:

Are you allowed to just nickname them the names of other Pokemon? Like can you trade a Ditto named Palkia?

Yes

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Hammerite posted:

One thing I'm confused about is I occasionally see people in raids with Purrserker. Where do you get Purrserker in this? did I miss an event?

Do the language classes and then do the teacher’s side quest

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Klungar posted:

But is there any mechanical difference between the two types of Sinistea?

Nope it’s a worthless cosmetic thing(that you can’t even see without camera shenanigans)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

indigi posted:

well, I’m sad to report that catching a shiny sinistea in the overworld doesn't guarantee authenticity. is there any way to chain shinies

Did you catch it in an outbreak? Because apparently outbreaks are either all phony or or all authentic

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

indigi posted:

I don't think so, I didn’t even know outbreak mechanics were in this game lol. I've just been running around outside Alfornada. how do you know when there's an outbreak

It shows on the map

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
You can also find chests at ruins. There should be enough on the map to get enough coins for your first Gholdengo. Any after that are gonna take a while to gather the coins though

HootTheOwl posted:

Chests can be found at watch towers and respawn every few days

No they have a very low chance to respawn every day. Unfortunately it can take quite a while to find them again

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dienes posted:

Wait, do wild Chanseys/Blisseys no longer have lucky eggs?

Nope. You can only get 1 lucky egg per save unfortunately

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Larryb posted:

The game literally just gives it to you as part of normal story progression though which is nice but yeah, that seems to be the only one you can get

It’s after the 6th gym though so if you want to make new saves to get more it’s quite a chore. There was someone in the discord doing that.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

wizard2 posted:

In general, what are my options besides Azumarill for bulky physical attacker Water types in Gen 9? No specific activity in mind.

Dondozo’s not bad

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

wologar posted:

Holy crap. Are pokemon raids turning into a meta-only ragefest?

Cinderace is incredibly hard

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Potato Salad posted:

So, what does the Slowbro do, and what are the supporters doing while the Slowbro sets up?

Iron defense x3, Nasty plot x3, Stored power. The rest are keeping everyone alive, setting up Psychic terrain, ect.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mesadoram posted:

Is there a way to see what current sandwich buffs you have active?

Right on the D-pad

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

TheDK posted:

I've been doing alright soloing 6* raids while farming Cinderace for XP candies, but I'm hitting a wall with dragon tera Magnezone.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Miraidon doesn’t work? It resists both Steel and Electric and has Dragon attacks.

EDIT: Garchomp would work too

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jeoh posted:

Is there any kind of public roadmap or schedule for upcoming patches and/or DLC?

lol no

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

wizard2 posted:

was Meganium in any Scarlet/Violet datamines? pretty certain no but w/e

love that silly doofus

No. Only Gen 2 starter is Typlosion(because of the Hisuian form). DLC could still add the others though

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Hammerite posted:

the thing that's like "gets scared by loud noises" or "loves to eat chocolate" or whatever? It provides a small amount of information about the mon's IVs. IIRC it tells you the highest IV and its value modulo 5 or some poo poo like that. If you are trying to figure out what its IVs are and the IV calculator you are using supports it, you can enter it as an additional piece of info to narrow down the possibilities a little.

This is much less useful in modern games since checking IVs is so easy though

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

humpthewind posted:

There's already a video out there of electric tera Shedinja holding an air balloon and using sunny day to control weather. I guess only entry hazards could take it out?

Poison/Burn and Stealth rock can also do it

But yeah if Shedinja ever gets in Gen 9 it'll either be unable to Tera or Tera-ing will negate its ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Hammerite posted:

how do outbreaks work? are individuals that spawn in an outbreak more likely to be shiny, like in PLA?

I think something is wrong serverside at the moment, just had another crash as a raid started

Yes, and the shiny rate is higher after 60 mons in the outbreak have been defeated. After that you can just use a picnic to reset the spawns over and over until you get a shiny