Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
My favorite Pokemon are not in Scarlet or Violet but they do at least have a lot of new interesting friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
They also created the most insane move ever this gen

Population Bomb, 30 base power Multi-Hit move that hits between 1-10 times. And there's a held item that skews it to the upper end. And the Pokemon who gets it has Technician and a version of Dragon Dance that clears entry hazards.

I did some calculations on it and if you high-roll you can just delete literally anything that doesn't have an immunity or 4x resist.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

Are there really only 4 outfits in this whole game?

Yep. There are a lot of accessories but lmao that they decided to cut back on outfits this much.

The stupid jersey you got forced into during gyms in SwSh was an omen apparently.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Deki posted:

I like the Route 1 spread of pokemon but for gently caress's sake, my radar says there's Diglett nearby but I can't fuckin find any. I want a Diglett. I need a Diglett.

Diglett is in a cave you go to as a forced part of the story, don't look too hard for it before then

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Koraidon looks about 1000000% better in its flying or powered down states.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Down by lakes to the Southeast. They're a stronger but slightly slower Hawlucha and get good STAB at low levels, they're kinda monstrous in game.

Almost literally 'what if we swapped Hawlucha's Atk and Spd and gave it Scrappy'

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Larryb posted:

Sounds good, does it evolve out of curiosity?

No, single stage.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Klawf is also single stage and kind of a monster early game since you can pick it up near the Titan Klawf and a ton of the early game goals are weak to rock. I also had good experiences with Maschiff, the new dark dog, and weirdly Cyclizar who shows up with no real fanfare.

Right now I'm rocking Fuecoco's evo, Klawf, Nymble, Flamigo, Wooper-P and Cyclizar.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Scromit Comet posted:

The thing that I remind myself of to avoid paralysis is that this game absolutely shits exp on you. The new raid system is way better and faster and always gives candies and the exp share is always on so you totally can have a 'back bench' you work from.

Also how is the grasshopper's evolution? I'm pretty meh on it but also I found it as my first shiny of the gen so kinda feel a little loyal to the lil guy!

The evo is solid. Decent stats, good typing and some really good move access.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

Has anyone gotten to use the cute dolphin I found when I wandered off into area 6? I have no idea how it performs because mine just goes to sleep and ignores me.

But it's adorable, so it stays on the team anyway.

Yeah, unfortunately its got a really dumb evo requirement and absolutely hideous and gimmicky evo.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Larryb posted:

How’s the stage before that out of curiosity and how soon does it evolve?

Nymble is fine, evolves at 24.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also if anyone is curious, this is the list of the level order of all the Badges/Titans/Team Star bases

Cortondo gym (bug)
Stony Cliff Titan (rock)
Artazon gym (grass)
Open Sky Titan (flying)
Team Star Dark Crew
Levincia gym (electric)
Team Star Fire Crew
Lurking Steel Titan (steel)
Cascarrafa gym (water)
Team Star Poison Crew
Medali gym (normal)
Montenevera gym (ghost)
Quaking Earth Titan (ground)
Alfornada gym (psychic)
Glaseado gym (ice)
Team Star Fairy Crew
False Dragon Titan (dragon)
Team Star Fighting Crew

Its bizarre they point you at Fire Crew first when they're about 6 levels over Dark Crew.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Larryb posted:

Ah right, so this is the first game to buck that particular trend then

Gen II and III bucked it as well. Hoothoot and Taillow aren't really the same.

If you want an equivalent to them you're looking for Wattrel who lives on the coast.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Larryb posted:

How’s the Wattrel line (assuming it evolves) then?

Also are there more than 8 gyms in this game (though I assume you still only need 8 badges to challenge the League as usual)?

Wattrels good, its Electric/Flying and roughly what you'd expect from that. One evo.

There are 3 Storylines in the game. 8 Gyms, 5 team bases (that are basically equivalent to gyms) and 5 Titan Pokemon (basically totem fights from Sun/Moon). Each has some capstone at the end, the Gyms go the the E4.

You need to finish up all 3 storylines to get everything as the Team bases lock a lot of TMs, the Titans lock your movement options and the Gyms raise the level Pokemon you catch will obey you at.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Larryb posted:

I’ve heard you can get recommendations on which gym to tackle next from a lady at the Pokecenter but does the game give you any hints regarding the location of bases/Titans?

They're literally all marked on your map after you go through the first part of the game and go to the school for the first time.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Large Testicles posted:

do you really need to unlock flying or swimming just to get to the second gym if you go in the order it recommends?

No, you can get there easily without either.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
The new way to pass egg moves onto Pokemon already in your party is fantastic. Gave my Cyclizar Power Whip and it took all of 3 seconds.

God I hope they keep this going forward.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

HopperUK posted:

You can remember fairy by thinking about fiction. They're weak to steel because fairies can't stand cold iron and they're weak to poison like Tinkerbell drinking the poison in Peter Pan.

I know they're strong against dragon but I'm sure there's more about them I'm forgetting

They're also strong against Dark and Fighting and resist Bug/Dark/Fighting. Also resisted by Fire/Poison/Steel.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Countblanc posted:

How does this work exactly

Have a Pokemon in the party with the egg move you want to pass on, does not need to be in the same egg group
Have an empty move slot on the Pokemon you want to learn the egg move
Have the Pokemon you want to learn the egg move holding a mirror herb (which you can buy in Cascarrafa if you don't have one)

Then just start a picnic and the Pokemon instantly learns it. You can just quit out immediately.

I just shoved some candy into a Stenee to evolve her, had her remember Power Whip as its a level 1 move for Tsarina and then deleted U-Turn on Cyclizar and gave it the mirror herb.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Does anyone know if time based evos go by system clock or by time in-game? In-game seems to cycle pretty quickly through day and night now, not matched to real world time.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I do find it kinda weird regular Tenacool/cruel aren't in the game but we have both Diglett and Wiglett

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I ended up with a team of Skeledirge, Vavaroom, Lokix, Baxcalibur, Toedscruel and Pawmot.

Shoutouts to Flamigo, Maschiff, Cyclizar, Klawf, Wattrel and Frosmoth who cycled through before I finalized the team. All of them were also incredibly solid

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

What's the deal with the Pokemon in the map when I open it up? None of them are near by.

Also I wonder traded into weed cat so I just need fuecoco

Its just a list of some of the possible spawns

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Framboise posted:

Eeeeee, my very first Tandemaus and it became a Maushold of four on my first try :kimchi:

(If only it got Skill Link.)

I think Maushold of four is the 96% chance, three is the rarer one.

Also lol, it does not need Skill Link because the way Population Bomb works is it keeps attacking until one of them misses. So throw on a Wide Lens and laugh at your 300 BP STAB nuke

Then in the post-game get the HA item to switch to Technician and laugh even harder at your 450 BP STAB nuke.

Zore fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 22, 2022

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Eiba posted:

You're right that it's a pretty intensive affair, but you realize anyone can breed their starter with a ditto and have infinite eggs so they'll be happy to give them away, right? You don't have to do all that complicated swapping to other accounts- just find someone who started with a different starter.

I'm kind of confused as to why you think it was more chill in Red and Blue. The starter situation was way worse since there was no breeding. You did have to find someone to reset their game a bunch of times to get the other starters back then. You couldn't even find people who beat the game since getting a Charizard didn't give you access to a Charmander, it basically had to be someone giving away their fresh starter at the start of the game. Twice.

Unless I'm forgetting something you could never get all the starter pokemon in one playthrough in any mainline game outside of Pokemon Yellow, though at least with breeding after Gen 2 you could find people willing to part with eggs.

You could in X/Y if you got lucky with Friend Safaris. I think that's it though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, but in R/B the item duplication glitch was pretty widespread knowledge. Being able to dupe rare candies and vitamins made training a complete breeze compared to literally any other game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Can you get Own Tempo Rockruff in the game? I caught a shiny one but it was one of its normal abilities and I dunno if they ever implemented a way to get Own Tempo from that.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Echophonic posted:

Is it possible to cross-train egg moves like it was in Sw/Sh? I'd like to get sucker punch onto my starter.

Yes. Have another Pokemon with Sucker Punch in your party, delete a moveslot on your starter and give your starter a Mirror Herb to hold (you can buy them for 30k in Cascarrafa at Delibird Presents if you don't have one). Then just start and exit a picnic.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

Agreed!

I'm hoping the answer is no, does the herb get consumed when the move is learned?

Nope.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Lux Animus posted:

On the other hand, this is the first pokemon where there are NPCs in the modern towns who don't have anything to say to you and they look like they're on their smoke break outside the chain restaurant. Laziness or realism?

We've had that since Gen V

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I am beginning to think Blaze Breed Tauros don't exist. Been searching for like an hour now.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I also have a big lol at the end of the Team Star storyline

Where Penny reveals she's been hacking the league to give you the LP and turns herself in. Then the followup convo where she's confused that they're not punishing her but are instead incredibly insistent that she works for the League part time now. And will also be working for them upon graduation.

Team Star in general rules as another take/expansion on the same themes Team Skull had.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I like some of the Tera-type hats but some are incredibly low effort and bad.

They also clip on a ton of Pokemon including one of the Starters and Pikachu so lol

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Do we know how it stacks with things like Adaptability?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Larryb posted:

Are there version exclusive gym leaders in this game like there were in SwSh out of curiosity? And if so, do any Titans/Team Star bosses also change depending on your version?

The Earth Titan is different between games, the rest are the same.

They're both Paradox Donphan, Scarlet just gets the past version who's Fighting/Ground and Violet gets the future robot version who's Steel/Ground

Zore fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 24, 2022

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

worms butthole guy posted:

Some questions about the game and I'm not trolling, these are informing my purchase:

1. How long is it to start and get into the game? I hate when games have like a hour of unskippable BS now a days
2. With the open world, how often do you run into Pokecenters? One thing I always hated about pokemon was how your party didn't renew health wise after each battle and i'm guessing its still the same.
3. is Porygon in this

1) Not super long? Maybe about half an hour if you power through to when everything fully opens. For about half of that you have control and can gently caress around catching stuff or whatever.

2) Relatively common? There are like 20 spread out over the map and you get drowned in healing items on the ground + there's a button you can hit that auto-heals you from the inventory now

3) No

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
The end of the game goes incredibly hard

They kill the professor like 3 different times in the course of 10 minutes between the reveal of the original's death, the AI getting shutdown and taken over and then the AI committing suicide to destroy the time machine. Its honestly kind of impressive.

Also Jesus, poor Arven. Like holy poo poo I think he takes the cake for 'most hosed up Pokemon childhood' by a mile. Not only abandoned by one parent then neglected by the other, the one in his life dies and gets replaced by a robot that fucks with him and ultimately goes on to suicide in front of him

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

Just started. I think I am digging it so far, despite issues that others have probably elaborated on better than I could. I will say that I wish throwing a pokeball to instigate a battle was a little more instantaneous.

That said, there are little touches in this game that I really like, amongst them that the more docile pokemon will sneak up where they think you are not paying attention and look at you out of curiosity.

Question: Have pokeballs always have had a really good catch rate even against full HP 'mons, at least starting out? I tried throwing a pokeball first thing up to the first pokemon center you get to and only once I have had it fail.

Does this mean that years of 'beat the pokemon up before catching' has been a waste of time? :tinfoil:

For low level route 1 Pokemon? Yeah, you've basically always been able to chuck a ball at a level 2-5 Pidgey and catch it immediately. Level and species make a huge difference to catch rate, and most early game Pokemon are towards the higher end of the scale.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Pokémon is the biggest franchise on the planet and a relatively small amount of that revenue comes from the games, so the dev cycle is kinda beholden to fueling the Pokémon cash cow with new Pokémon every few years without much in the way of leeway. Or at least, that’s how I understand it!

On the other hand, it’s pretty loving bizarre that Gamefreak didn’t just ask for help from say, Monolith Soft since Xenoblade 3 was finished a while before it was officially announced according to leaks.

Just throwing more people on last minute doesn't actually help that much. You'd need to integrate the bigger team from the beginning (hire more people Gamefreak)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

big black turnout posted:

Ah okay I've only done like 1 and 2 star and they were fine there

They're fine up to 4 star and you can power through 5 Star on your own if you level enough. 6 Star is a huge pain, you need other people or to relentlessly optimize for it.

That said its leagues better than SwSh where 6 star offline was effectively impossible because 4 KOs ended your run and the NPC trainers Kos counted. And they brought poo poo like Magikarp

Zore fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 28, 2022