Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

There’s apparently a vocal ending theme at least

Also for those that played the game early via the leak was your experience this buggy? Because I don’t realły remember hearing about any of this stuff until now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I don’t mind the song personally but yeah, that is sort of weird. Maybe he’s a fan of the series or something

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sounds like a useful party member, where can you find these guys?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zore posted:

Down by lakes to the Southeast. They're a stronger but slightly slower Hawlucha and get good STAB at low levels, they're kinda monstrous in game.

Sounds good, does it evolve out of curiosity?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zore posted:

No, single stage.

Well that kind of damage at low levels still sounds pretty good. I’ll definitely try to pick one up once I get the chance to actually play this, any other early wild Pokémon you’d recommend?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vandar posted:

It's a Kamen Rider. That's all you need to know.

(Okay but seriously it has great speed and attack, a good typing, and a solid movepool.)

How’s the stage before that out of curiosity and how soon does it evolve?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So what’s the requisite generic bird and rodent of this game and are they worth using at all?

Also how does the whole Tera system work and how soon in the game can you start using it/doing raids (also can your starter use it as well)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rudoku posted:

It's Fletchling and eventually Starly for birds. Lechonk, Fidough, Skwovet, Yungoos and Azurill for mammals. There's a lot of pokemon in the first few areas.

No new tiny bird Pokémon? That’s weird (though then again I don’t remember Gen 7 having one either)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Framboise posted:

This gen doesn't have a new 3-stage bird like other gens have afaik, but a bunch of one-off or one-evo birds.

Also Gen 7's bird was Pikipek/Trumbeak/Toucannon.

Ah right, so this is the first game to buck that particular trend then

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zore posted:

Gen II and III bucked it as well. Hoothoot and Taillow aren't really the same.

If you want an equivalent to them you're looking for Wattrel who lives on the coast.

How’s the Wattrel line (assuming it evolves) then?

Also are there more than 8 gyms in this game (though I assume you still only need 8 badges to challenge the League as usual)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 19, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zore posted:

Wattrels good, its Electric/Flying and roughly what you'd expect from that. One evo.

There are 3 Storylines in the game. 8 Gyms, 5 team bases (that are basically equivalent to gyms) and 5 Titan Pokemon (basically totem fights from Sun/Moon). Each has some capstone at the end, the Gyms go the the E4.

You need to finish up all 3 storylines to get everything as the Team bases lock a lot of TMs, the Titans lock your movement options and the Gyms raise the level Pokemon you catch will obey you at.

I’ve heard you can get recommendations on which gym to tackle next from a lady at the Pokecenter but does the game give you any hints regarding the location of bases/Titans?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 19, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zore posted:

They're literally all marked on your map after you go through the first part of the game and go to the school for the first time.

Good to know

Also is it true that your game’s professor ultimately turns out to be the main antagonist (which I kind of figured from the start honestly given the general look of them)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 19, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Terper posted:

Spoilers
It's not wrong, but it's not entirely right, either. They are intimately connected to the final encounters, though.

So who’s the leader of Team Star in that case?

Also apologies if this has been answered before but when do you get to fight the box legendary (I assume at the end of the Star arc if the past is any indication)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 19, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also how many other Legendaries are in this game?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 19, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

They're part of the fourth storyline once the other three are complete

So postgame exclusive then? Ah well

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Won’t have a chance to start this game myself until tomorrow but based on the posts here I’ve already got an idea of what I want my starting lineup to be. How’s Lechonk and the bagel dog out of curiosity?

Also how does the auto battle function work for that matter?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

How’s the candle ghost dog from the trailers then and how soon can you get your hands on one? Also is Lechonk’s evolution any better?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Or you could just ignore me since plenty of other people here seem capable of answering said questions normally. Thanks for being an rear end in a top hat about it though

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 19, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Greavard is its name I think. Don't know where it is, sorry. Lechonk's evo has a big male-female difference and I always enjoy that, it is still a piggy.

Just caught Tandemaus after seeing them both skipping through the grass and I am in love. And I think the game uses sensible pronouns as in 'They were both sent to your boxes!' so I wonder if it'll do that for Falinks in future.

Thank you. Just one last question related to the above: does Greavard evolve?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 19, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rudoku posted:

It's a puppy with Pickup. It's gonna evolve.

Only when leveled up at night apparently:

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Houndstone_(Pok%E9mon)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

Auto-battle works by facing a pokemon and pressing R to send your pokemon charging at them

Your pokemon can take damage during them depending on what it's facing, and type effectiveness is taken into account, which leads to some utterly bizarre instances of your pokemon losing to a hoppip that only knows Splash when actually battled, but since it's Grass/Flying, it can deal with water and grass pokemon surprisingly well (conversely, you can get the jump on higher-leveled pokemon without having to battle them for some nice exp the same way)

Your pokemon won't faint during AB, it'll wear itself out and come back to you

Be warned, if you press R while running at a pokemon, you'll slide before sending out your pokemon, which can lead to bumping into them and triggering a regular battle, and sometimes other pokemon will run into you and start a fight

Also, your pokemon will not attack Shiny pokemon during an Auto-Battle

That seems like a hindrance if you’re trying to actually catch said Pokémon though.

Also if Pokémon can fight on their own does that mean you can also catch them on your own without having to battle ala Legends? Or are literally the only mechanics they ported over the open world and a few Hisuian forms?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 19, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Just play the game or don't holy poo poo this bit of using the thread as google is dumb.

What part of "I'm not able to play this game yet" do you not understand (also it's not a "bit" I'm just genuinely curious about these things and don't care about spoilers)? Anyway I'm done so nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 19, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 19, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Anyway, for any bugs they wind up fixing in this game I hope the food eating scenes stay exactly the way they are

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 19, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Like I said, I’m not gonna be able to play this myself until tomorrow but I’ve already got the beginnings of a team in mind based on the posts I’ve seen here:

-Quaxly (I’ve gone with water every time and haven’t regretted it so far)

-Flamigo

-Wattrel

-Nymble (I’m aware its first form isn’t great but Kamen Rider Pokemon is too good to pass up)

-Klawf

Any recommendations/substitutions (for example, is there a decent wild fire type you can find early on)? I also have no shame in using legendaries since I don’t play competitively that much so at least one of those guys is probably getting swapped out later in the game anyway

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 19, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

HopperUK posted:

You can get Houndoom and Charcacet and Litleo very early on.

Sweet, thanks

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rageaholic posted:

Oh poo poo, I beat the bug gym but didn't know I was supposed to go to grass. This game isn't great about telling you where to go next!

Apparently talking to people at a PokeCenter will give you a hint as to what gym to take on next (though some towns are blocked off by abilities you need to beat Titans in order to get)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/GameXplain/status/1594034207877402624

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

CatstropheWaitress posted:

what's up with the effective/supereffective being visible in the attack menu? It seems to turn on/off at random.

That’s been a thing in the franchise since at least SuMo (but only against Pokémon you’ve encountered already). It’s pretty handy to be honest

Anyway finally got to actually play this and it’s fun so far (the story and characters are also much more enjoyable than SwSh). I kind of wish they’d kept the feature from Arceus where you could just chuck balls at Pokémon from the overworld without having to initiate a battle first but it’s not a dealbreaker or anything

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I haven’t encountered much in the way of major glitches yet but I will say the game does drain the Switch’s battery supply pretty quickly while in handheld mode (I’ve gone from 100% to 81% in the span of a couple minutes of play)

Edit: I’ve been informed this is apparently not the game’s fault so nevermind I guess

That aside, I will say that Nemona is a really likable rival character so far

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 20, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Uh, how old is your Switch?

About a year or two but I’ve never had this problem with any other game on it (including ones from the past few months). It’s probably an issue on my end regardless though so nevermind that part then

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I kind of like that Team Star is basically just a group of juvenile delinquents, also I think this might be the longest period you’ve gone in a Pokémon game prior to meeting the requisite professor.

I like that Terastallization gives Pokémon little visual changes as well (like a giant lightbulb for Pawmi and a waterspout for Quaxly)

You guys weren’t kidding, Flamigo is a loving beast stat wise (especially early on)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 21, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On my way to the first Titan, I assume they’re like Totem Pokemon and can’t be caught right?

I also assume you get to fight Nemona at her full power late in the game as hinted at early on

They really could have made the Pokemon in the overworld a little bigger though, I keep running into wild encounters by accident (especially when in tall grassy areas)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I don’t have the map locations memorized but was thinking of tackling the Earth Titan, Fire base, and Grass gym first. What’s the minimum level recommendation for those (I can always grind off some Tera raids if need be)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Bee posted:

I don't recall specifics, but the fire base is definitely spicier than the other two. Heck, Team Star in general is the harder content, which may be why the game seems to push for going east or west for the gym and titan content first.

Ah, the PokeCenter I talked to recommended the Grass gym first and I figured I’d tackle those since they were on their way and I had a couple Water types on hand, though it’s possible the recommendations are based on location rather than level

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eiba posted:

Oh it's 100% proximity. I read someone say it told you what was next level appropriate and that was a lie because it told us to do the titan of the lake and that was loving hard. We did it though and the reward was great, but yeah... don't listen to the pokecenter advice!

Ah, that's not as helpful a feature as I assumed it was then. Well, my starter's already in the 20's with a few attack upgrades thanks to raids so for the moment i guess I'll just stay the course and see what happens.

Also I kind of like that walking past a trainer doesn't automatically initiate a battle anymore (speaking of, how long does it take before you encounter someone with more than 2 Pokemon on hand?)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 22, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eiba posted:

I've found a more helpful system is wild pokemon levels. If you outlevel the wild pokemon outside of a town, you can take the gym. If they vastly outlevel you, you're in for a fun challenge!

With a grass starter and water absorb on my clodsire, I've been totally immune to all my rival's terrestrializstions. It's great to be immune to two types. Slap on a leftovers, teach it toxic and dig, and it can take on the world. I love it.

The Klawf Titan was piss easy for me so I guess I’m on the right track after all

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, is there an in game way of keeping track of how many steps a Pokémon has walked with you (since Pawmo needs 1000 to evolve)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So on Tera raids, is it possible for the Pokémon to break out of the ball like they could in the Dynamax raids or is it a guaranteed catch?

Also when do harder raids start appearing? All I’ve been getting are 1 and occasionally 2 star rated ones so far

Framboise posted:

Also also this game absolutely sucks older Switch batteries dry so fast. My girlfriend, who plays exclusively handheld, was complaining about how fast hers drained, then I showed her how my battery was lower than hers after playing handheld for about half as long. She's got the newer version with the better battery lol

Oh good so it’s not just me then, if you get a new Switch you can transfer everything over just by logging into your profile right?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Scromit Comet posted:

when I first met him I thought he'd suck because he came off as another Gladion type but way too old for the 'angsty maybe genuinely traumatized teenager' act to be kinda endearing but as soon as I started the titan quest with him I realized he's just a giant nerd who was trying to sound cool and loved him.

And he becomes more sympathetic with each Titan, poor guy just wants to help his dog