Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Going through Black 2 for the first time, what are some Gen 5 onlys that are really fun to use? I currently am at the 5th Gym and been training a Tynamo but also have a Joltik. Not sure which one is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Zore posted:

Electross is a stronger mixed attacker but Galvantula can get Compound Eyes for 97% accurate Thunders which is fun as hell and its not super slow. Also Tynamo takes for-loving-ever to evolve and can't learn poo poo until it does so you're stuck with a kind of terrible Magikarp until level 39.

Ya I been trying to evolve and it's just a tiny little fish til 38. My Tynamo is 2 lvls away from evolving while Joltik I could power level but he is 24. I also don't think I have compound eyes it's still worth it?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Has anyone else completely dropped their starter for their team like half through the game? In my Black 2 run, I just dropped by Pignite for Daramuka. Also in general it seems like there are so many fire options in this game that the starter is irrelevant while it seems in older gen fire was one of the harder types to get early on.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Super No Vacancy posted:

i rarely use the starter theyre usually ugly by the third evo

Starters last evolution are usually cool though but it felt like in early gens you had to rely more on them since you often just got shittier typings in the wild.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

I usually have my starter around the whole game. We're buddies, I mean, c'mon.

Ya I do the same but I meant mostly for following runs and if you've played with the starter. I was talking about Black 2 where I had already played the starters all in Black 1 but thats the first time it even occured to me to drop a starter other than Pokemon Yellow where I kinda didn't consider Pikachu the starter in my head.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Nanigans posted:

These games are made for babies. I beat Brock with Charmander by just using Ember because Geodude and Onix's Sp. Defense is so low.

Strong Pokémon, Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best.

Ya I think this is the best, I use to watch all the reveal for the new pokemons and follow a guide to see which pokemon were available in which area. Just spoiled the game, I remember when I first played Silver I had no loving idea what I was doing and everything felt like a surprise. Every encounter can be meaningful, also this applies to basically every other game. I will watch a trailer once, if it's a studio I like I will play it anyways so I don't need 30 in depth gameplay walkthroughs.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Almost done with B2. Never used Ferrothorn before this run, even with 4x fire weakness and genv having so many fire types, this thing is an absolute tank. With the barbs and ingran you can basically take anything on. Also the sprite in gen v was way better than whatever they decided to update it to afterwards.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I read the game of the year thread and someone mentioned orange tales rom hack. I knew I had to try rom hacks because I loved that part of the anime originally.

What are some good rom hacks to get started off? And how do you play them, is it just typical rom stuff or you have to do something diff?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Whats a good fire type in gen 2 if you don't take cyndaquil?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Zuzie posted:

Or just bite the bullet and grab a Growlithe or Vulpix, evolve your Eevee into Flareon or wait a bit and get a Ponyta.

I just got a Vuplix outside Ecutreak, I am having issues killing my rivals Bayleaf it's so bulky thats why I wanted a fire type. I don't have bug, poison and my flying type is a hoothoot which tends to be defensive as well and can't punch through bulky poo poo. I got Ekans/Nidorina and Paras but I don't think I'll train them so Vulpix it is since im on SS version.

So far I been beating the rival with Ghastly's curse and most gyms I struggled with I used Ghastly as my trap card. Croconaw learns Ice Fang so that is useful but you need to put Bayleaf to sleep to get in.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 8, 2024

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

galagazombie posted:

Do you mean gen2 as in literally playing GSC or just Pokémon introduced in gen2? Because you can get Slugma/Mancargo as early as Violet City in HGSS and he works great in that game. Otherwise every other Johto Fire type is either a legendary or post game only. If you’re playing actual gen2 and any mon goes Arcanine and Ninetales are right there at the start and are the best you’re going to get barring Entei.

I should have reworded, I didn't mean gen 2. I am playing Soul Silver so Gen 4 but I don't believe in these remakes they had many new mons from even gen 3 or 4. I caught a Magmar which seems better off the bat than Vulpix which has poo poo moves and I have to train. I know someone said you can buy flamethrower at golden rod, I need to look into that as well. But usually I do prefer to use pokemons from that region I am playing in but its not a strict rule.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

ice beam and flamethrower are available at goldenrod gamecorner

Since you're in ecruteak i think you can make it to the lapras in union cave (on fridays). It'll take super effective damage but Lapras is tankier and higher damage than bayleaf, especially if you got ice beam.

I started Totodile so would it be much to have Lapras with another full water type? I also got ice fang on it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

Theres probably like a dozen poison pokemon available too, like the nidos and koffing. Bug/poison and grass/poison are quad resist to grass and both types should be easily available in ariados, bellsprout and i believe venonat is in the forest?

I got a Heracross and I think this is my first time ever using one but man this thing packs a punch even with poo poo moves and underleveld its so easy to train.. I dropped Noctowl from my team, it helped me in certain areas but generally found it to be way too weak. I thought flying type would be more useful early on but this poo poo sucks, I guess you can train it quickly in the towers vs Ghastlies and bellsprout tower since it has foresight. Replaced it with Milktank and drat that poo poo is strong. My team is pretty offensive. I was thinking of switching Heracross for a Fortress since I have nothing that can just tank dmg.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Nanigans posted:

Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites.

Ya I know all that but gen 2's weak mons are REALLY effing weak.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I really don't like Kalos and the geography. But really love the mons from that gen. So I am happy. Actually just doing a playthrough now with Chespin for the first time. Forgot how easy this game starts off.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Gen 6 is the best because Pancham

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

In X do you ever face your friend who has the type that is strong vs your starter?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Larryb posted:

I believe the MC you don’t choose at the start will have it, yes (and you fight them and your other friends a few times over the course of the game)

Ok I haven't fought the one who takes your weakness, only fought with them.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just a random thought I got, why does Amnesia cause you to improve your defense? I know the moves don't all make sense but this one is confusing...

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Almost done with my X playthrough, gently caress Meowstic. What a loving annoying pokemon.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

First time playing Scarlet, is there many areas with higher level pokemon that are out of the main path.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Larryb posted:

Yeah, it’s kind of like SwSh except the entire region is one big Wild Area (however you will need to get upgrades as you go in order to cross certain terrain)

Oh ok the only switch game I have played is Let's Go Pikachu.

As for the open world, I don't mind it but I really wish they had more unique animations like in the 3D era.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

What are the pokemon you always wanted to use but never used? Playing Scarlet, I been using Luxray for the first, I always loved it's design but for some reason never used it in the previous games.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

ScoVio has generally made it easier to rotate Pokemon so you can try out your favourites.

But for me it's usually one of those single stage Pokemon that's encountered around the middle or last third of the game and you have no reason to really swap it into your party. Like Dhelmise, Comfey, Relicanth, etc.

Also, just kinda... slowish Pokemon in general. Some you can make work, like Gargancl, but things like Coalossal or Cradily can be really difficult to use in-game.

Ya it's like when you get a party member in a jrpg in the final chapter but are already used to using your current team. It's like way too late.

In Pokemon games, usually you get ice or dragon types quite late so those are the ones I still end up including in my team if it makes sense.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Most of the region birds are better than pidgeot by miles.

Smogon Bird alone destroys the category.

Pidgeot isn't even good in gen1. Pidgeot freaking doesn't learn any flying type moves until super later.

When I first played yellow as a kid, I always thought spearrow looked cooler but I would already be invested in a pidgey by then. On later runs I realized how much more superior Fearow really is.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

It doesn't really matter since Pidgeot can just use Normal attacks since it's not like Flying attacks are doing you better against Rock types anyway, the one Ghost line is very flimsy, and you barely face any Grass or Bug types after Celadon. Plus you can just use Fly.

The important thing that it has is swagger.

Ya but you can wreck Erika. I really like Spearow in Yellow and if B/R if you start Bulbasur.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

galagazombie posted:

You need a Fly slave anyway so just use that. Fly has 70bp in RBY, with stab that’s enough for pidgeot to ohko any fighting/grass/bug that any npc might throw at you.

Fly is two turns, I wanna go brrrt and drill peck pokemons to death.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Wanted to know how you yall use and organize your boxes? I use to do by types when I was a kid but then started doing by evs/ivs of pokemon I wanted level up later.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

in ScVi I only have a handful of organized boxes: Parties, To Home/Dittos, Raid Guys (which is for guys I beat in high-level Tera raids since the guys I use go in Parties), Maybe ‘Mons (guys I might use in VGC), VGC (guys I do), and Buddy Trades (Pokémon with NPC partner marks from the Blueberry Academy).

everything else is just scattered around randomly. if I need it I’ll search for it!

I am thinking of doing parties but isn't there a system for parties in Scarlet?

wizard2 posted:

when I was wake and bake, I would spend whole 10 to 12 hour shifts meticulously organizing, but now after years of painful sobriety and responsibility, it's a total disaster.

at this point, I just stuff em in there and hope for the best. good luck in there, Pokébuddies!

:911:

Ya since Lets go this has become hard for me as well because I use to be the type who only caught what they wanted to train and didn't know EVs/IVs/natures. But with catching granting exp, I just catch everything so thats why I asked the question since I have struggled to organize my box.
At the end of each play session I am just organizing my box for 30-40min.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Really loving Scarlet so far, I know this game received horrible reviews and I do think technically it's lacking.
I would only wish if the artstyle was bit more stylized like Arceus, some of the mons models look off to me.

But the amount of new mons is crazy in this game.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

sundaymorning posted:

I have just recently started playing it too and I am very pleasantly surprised thus far. I haven't enjoyed a pokemon game since either gen5 or 6 and scarlet/violet is genuinely reigniting my faith in modern pokemon a little bit. My main problems so far, other than the technical hiccups, are mainly just that the concept of 'paradox mons' doesn't really gel with me personally, and that I'm not the biggest fan of yet another new generational battle gimmick.

Ya I hadn't played any of the newer games post Lets Go Pikachu but I absolutely loved the changes that game brought to the mainline series. It just removed so many tedious aspect of the old games, whenever I go back to older games I am annoyed at how exp share and pc/box system works.

I do wish they put something where you can have a mon in your team but not have it use exp share and increase the % for the rest of your party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Want to checkout Pokerogue, saw it blowing last few weeks on youtube. Looks fun, definitely will give it a try when I have more time.

In general there is so much good fanmade stuff in this community, you never run out of content even aside all the official stuff.