Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

IronicDongz posted:

as always here is your reminder that pokemon saying their names is stupid, the anime has it wrong, the games have it right, cute digitized animal noises for life :palmon:

Pikachu in the MGS2 helicopter scene: No! That man is not Pikachu!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't played long enough to get to the school yet. But I made it half way and have like, 20 pokedex entires. And I gotta say. I'm glad even my rival didn't pick the duck. The duck deserves to get stuff in a locker at the campus. Love my pal Fuecoco so far though.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pretty sure I had a toy as a kid that did exactly this.

It has taken me multiple hours to reach the treasure hunt. But I finally made it. My only regret is the Pachirisu that ran up a tree when I started a battle with a trainer, and me not knowing how to catch it up there. I still haven't seen another one. My completion. My 1% spawn probably. :negative: And so on.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Scholtz posted:

Spawns are a lot easier to game out now that you can eat food that makes certain types appear

Oh, right. I read something about that when I was looking at the new shiny manip stuff. I'll probably unintentionally run into another one somewhere before needing that. But that'll be nice when I eventually get down to the last few things in the dex. Dhelmise took me forever to get to show up in Sword.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Stab posted:

It's a nice medium between making players memorize the type chart and letting players get wrecked by a sudowoodo because they thought it was grass type.

I to this day have no idea what beats Fairy, or what Steel beats, aside form Ice. It's a nice feature for being lazy about generations old new types.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Today a Scyther with a tera diamond on its head wiped my entire team. (it was 5+ higher than 5 of them and spammed a boosted double hit move tbf.) I still have no idea what type that was supposed to be. But that's the first time I've lost a pokemon battle outside of online since RBY. Game is pretty good.

Also I got a bunch of great stuff from the raids that I'm excited to use. But they aren't new to this region. So I'm trying to hold off, and enjoy the new guys for a while first. But the tera gimmick is really fun so far.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

HopperUK posted:

If it looked like a huge diamond it was probably Normal type.

That makes sense. I didn't have a single fighting move to try. It also didn't let half my team try a move before one shotting them anyway.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Birds think they know so much about flying. Let's see what they know when they have a big boulder dropped on their back. :smug:

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I've been playing since launch, and still only have 3 or 4 badges. This game is great. It reminds me of how the first season of the anime felt. Just kinda walking around finding pokemon. And eventually I happen to run into a gym, or a not-gym with a car pokemon.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Spanish Manlove posted:

I don't think game freak could have handled making more models and animations for ride pokemon

I'd estimate about 60% of the time I've throw pokeballs in battle, my character isn't even on the ride anymore when the camera changes. The ball is at least in place for where the hand would be though.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have a Larvitar outbreak today. I beat 60, and then spent an hour trying the picnic trick I saw. Pretty sure I got gaslit by a Kotaku article.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Just wandered my way into "The Cave of Level 15-44 lol" trying to find how you get to that gym in the corner. Needless to say tera ghost Houndoom destroyed most of my team before I glanced up at the HP bar and saw the level.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I've only had the issue where the board will immediately give me a "You can no longer join" message even if I click a posting as soon as it shows up. But if I try it again, it will let me play. The matches themselves run just fine for me though. I've done tons of them, and never had any problems past getting one to let me join. I don't know if the model of Switch matters at all, but I'm basing this all on an OLED in handheld mode.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Just ran into my first few Zorua today. I appreciate the little things they put into the game like this to make the pokemon feel more alive. Now I'm wondering if Ditto is doing something similar, since I still haven't seen one when it's picture shows up on the map.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So, I love the SV and all. But as someone who reads all the dex entries as I try to fill the whole thing out every game, I'm noticing that about 80 of the 100+ that I caught so far are described as "Pizza Boi: Some dude died, there was a pizza nearby, and now this happened." It was fine for a few ghosts now and then a few gens back. But I swear half of these aren't even ghosts either.

edit: I guess they really went hard on the "A literal child is writing these" joke.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Trying to rush my way through the last few gyms and Titans (team star is so boring I'm skipping them for now), so I can get far enough to do some duping before I update for the second pass of the Charizard event thing.

The mountain on the way to the ice gym took me a while. But it was nice they had at least one area that felt like it was meant to be similar to the old 'dungeons'. Just a huge slog with alot of new stuff to run into on the way. I hope the next game has a way to work more of that into it, and a few less open fields between every other landmark.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I was literally just trying to Google this to understand why I’ve seen people spend hundreds of hours to breed perfect IV Pokémon

I get that higher attk /spattk means more damage per physical/special hit and higher def/spdef protects you better from physical/special moves, but why breed when you can use those candies or whatever?

The only reason to actually breed one is just for the sense of "I made this" kind of thing. But anyone telling you it takes more than an hour to get a 5-6 IV pokemon is just grossly exaggerating. And as proven by last thread, they're usually basing their nonsense on gimick youtube videos they saw, and have never tried the process themselves. Either way, the items do the exact same thing. The only difference is the menus will say you used items.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I was going around trying to find some trainers to get the TM rewards. And I found a tera Umbreon in a cave. I like how this is the one pokemon that just turns into its single type as its special tera type. At least it already has most of my egg moves I put on Eevees ready to transfer around.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Klungar posted:

I believe all of the fixed Wild Tera Eeveelutions have a Tera type matching their evolved type.

That's the first one of them I've seen so far. Good to know I'm not missing much if I never see the rest then.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm sure this is probably common knowledge by now. But if you don't like your outbreak spawns for the day, you can just reopen the game and it changes all of them. I just found out when I accidentally made Frosslass extinct, and thought resetting would keep everything down to the natures like it always does for everything else. :downs:

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Muscle Tracer posted:

Sorry, I think you may have confused this wish a second monster franchise, one with a far better TV show but far worse games.

Monster Rancher did not have a better show. Based on what I only sort of remember from the dub over a decade ago. :colbert:

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Tender Bender posted:

You have to search "[What you're looking for] reddit" to find anything useful about any game that came out in the last few years, it sucks.

I do this, but with gamefaqs instead. They get to the point much quicker. And I don't have to scroll through 20 people answering some unrelated thing before I find the one with what I'm looking for.

OP: "What should I do with Pikachu?"

20 identical posts below: "Well, Miraidon is a special attacker, so you if you picked the wrong starter..."

:nallears:

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Reik posted:

I hit top 1,000 in doubles ranked and I don't think I have it in me to push any further. Have they done any special rewards or anything in the past based on your ladder ranking?

Usually bottle caps, BP and a few other easy to get items.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BitBasher posted:

Right, that's kind of my problem. They aren't the same so I didn't want to trade one permanently. Looks like I may pick up and shotgun through Violet.

Since there is no Home support there's no way to trade between my own two versions of a game right now? I have to use a third person?

This is the only reason I haven't updated yet. I didn't know you get 2 of them until a few days ago. But all the info I kept seeing is so conflicting that I decided to just wait and clone one so I don't have to regret anything.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

snohax posted:

Can confirm this is correct. Only the ride Ko/Miraidon can be cloned, and it's only really useful for duping items. After learning about the glitch I tried sending a clone to my friend with Violet, but trying to select it gives an error message that your buddy can't be traded.

edit: That said, DO make sure to make a bunch of clones before updating. As of the current patch you can still duplicate items so long as you have a clone in your party from the old patch.

That sucks. But I guess the ride version probably has something different in the code to prevent losing it anyway. I'll just do a touch trade for now, and then wait for shiny Miraidon in 2-3 years to keep for the living dex.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Finally hit the credits. This is probably the only pokemon game where I actually liked the story. Still couldn't care less about Team Star stuff. And the gym story is just the standard Pokemon thing. But the rest was good.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Can anyone do a quick trade back and forth with me so I can register their Miraidon and give it right back?

I can offer some other Scarlet exclusive for the trouble after, if you want.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I saw Glimmet a bunch of times all over the map when I played. The caves were lousy with them especially. Not even as a stalactite thing. They were just in groups on the ground everywhere. :shrug:

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BitBasher posted:

On a related note my Moriadon took a combination of 40 Ultra balls, and a few others to catch, while at 1 HP and asleep for most of the throws. I was down to one use of spore before he finally caught. I thought it might have been bugged.

My Koraidon struggled to death before I could catch it on the first attempt. They have the old legendary catch rates. The annoying part is when I got 3 shakes, and then couldn't get a single shake for the next 20 throws after that. I ended up just using the master ball. I never use them in any game anyway.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I've only used sandwiches when I couldn't find Frigibax after finishing the entire game. They basically forced me to use it to find one.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

it’s like a critical hit but for capturing Pokémon. they added ‘em in gen 5, and it basically means that instead of rolling three or four dice to determine whether a Pokémon is captured the game rolls one die. if it’s a yes, then it’s a yes. (in-game this looks like the ball performing one confident shake instead of a handful of iffy ones.)

I think critical is still 2 checks instead of the standard 4. Which get shown as the shake and the seal. Unless they've changed it between SM and now.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
edit: nvm

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Saw my first 5* Ditto raid today. The host's Tinkaton got copied through Imposter, and we didn't get to make a single attack before it systematically ran the timer out as quick as possible just killing the whole team over and over. :downs:

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Blaze Dragon posted:

You take Raid Ditto on by having the host run a Magikarp. No matter what level they are, that's a win, easy. That's how I got a 6* Ditto before I could even do 5* raids.

I completely forgot about that idea. Maybe some day I'll find a den on the map and can host that one. It's the only way I'll get a Ditto in a rando raid.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

derra posted:

I don't have Online so I made a Persian with Shadow Ball, Nasty Plot and Fake Tears to snooze through my ghost Ditto. I wonder if my allies could take out a Magikarp.

I've never seen a Ditto at any of the dens, or I would probably try it offline too. But I also don't check many of the dens anyway. But I did find another online tonight. I forget what it turned into, but one person on the team basically did 80% of the bar in one hit, so it worked out this time. :toot:

It has 4 IVs, and it's missing both attacks, but whatever. Good enough to get a decent start whenever I finally figure out what I even want my team to be this gen.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rudoku posted:

Ditto raids are full of assholes using Raid mons as the host.

Confirming this. They all just brought in stuff that got the whole team killed as quick as possible when I could get in any.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Nessa posted:

Man, I knew Violet would outsell Scarlet, but I didn’t think it would be nigh impossible to do paradox trades. I keep trying to use the trade codes and only ever encounter others with Violet.

I had the exact opposite problem. I kept getting paired up with the same people also playing Scarlet over and over for about 3 of them. Eventually I got one of the Violet paradox things from a surprise trade.

edit: clearly vioet players are just stingy. :thunk:

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DizzyBum posted:

So you could name a Magikarp "MEWTWO" and its picture would be a Mewtwo even though it was still a Magikarp.

I had no idea about this part. And now I'm sad I missed out on doing that to people.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol saw this today

:airquote: rare :airquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It took about 4 tries hosting the Cinderace raid. But I finally found a group that didn't bring a Koraidon to help Cinderace. Or a purple Megaman to just stand there and not do anything. Or a Taurous that would instantly die the second it spawned with no attacks going off every single time, because the net code is good. I know you're out there somewhere, 2 Slowbros that got healed by me the entire time them until 1 of them 1-shot the boss. :patriot: