Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

wizard2 posted:

every Pokemon is somebody's favorite Pokemon and somewhere a small host of loaded Wailord fans finally have their wish

I'm actually pretty interested to find out who are the people that have like, Rellor or something as their favourite Pokemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Later games also having much more elaborate stories also probably made it more difficult for the manga to come up with creative stories that don't go wildly off-canon.

RSE was probably the last time they really managed to kinda do something creative. After that they lean more into character gimmicks, like manzai or being really into money or science or something.

The RBY and GSC arcs were really fun though. Gold remains the best protagonist, and the gym leader tournament was great.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

And BW went with the theory that the Striaton Trio were the Ninja Triad all along.

That one is news to me, the wiki doesn't seem to mention any of that either (and in fact says that they fought the Triad in BW).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
One kinda interesting difference is (endgame spoilers) Arven having a deadbeat mom vs having a deadbeat dad can hit kinda different.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's pretty hard to lock down an absolute favourite Pokemon these days, but a few personal favourites: Mabostiff, Fuecoco, Buizel, Bulbasaur, Turtwig.

I tend to lean towards Grass/Water types so making a team of just my favourites would be pretty bad competitively. :v:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Sorry, it's Tentacools, forever.

But at least you're not running into a million Zubats and Geodudes now.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I honestly think the Dex cut thing is Good because 1) it lets the developers experiment with stuff like Terastalization without having to worry about Shedinja (for an example—this is applicable to any new stuff and any old Pokémon) and 2) it encourages genwunners and their ilk to discover and fall in love with new Pokémon.

I love when somebody who hasn’t played in many years is like “whoa this thing is awesome, I’m assuming it’s new?” and I get to go “oh that’s Tropius it’s from 2003 :)

Tropius is very cool and I like to use the banana boy.

All-food team would be a cute gimmick to match Arven. I think you might be able to do it with all Grass? Tropius, Appletun, Flapple, Scovillain, etc.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Replace Growlithe with Fuecoco, and Sharpedo with Mabostiff for Gen 9.

Some of those were real easy, some I actually had to pause for.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Trying to think of a thematic 'big herbivore' team (so deer, bulls, goats, etc.) that doesn't get completely mulched by a common weakness (because a lot of these are gonna be Grass or Normal types). Paldean Tauros is definitely an option (but it's weak to Flying like the Grass-types), not sure who else to fill the ranks with yet.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

indigi posted:

Xerneas could cover you for fighting/flying

Nessa posted:

Mudsdale is a big herbivore! Farigiraf too.

If it’s not limited to ScarVio, then there’s also Rapidash, Zebstrika, and Wyrdeer.

I hadn't considered Xerneas, that's a good option.

Went with Xerneas/Aqua Tauros/Gogoat/Mudsdale/Rapidash/Bouffalant (not in SV but eh). Not the biggest fan of Mudsdale, but he fits and stops me from having too many similar weaknesses.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Snorlax hasn't been OU for a long time now but he's like Starmie where he's never really bad, just a victim of powercreep.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There's a new favourite Pokemon sorter that also does it by generation. Also includes alternate forms if you want to get fancy.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Filling out the sorter also reminded me how much I bounced off Gen VI. I was already losing steam in Gen V but doing it again reminded me that I actually liked a lot of Pokemon from that gen. With Gen VI most of my picks ended up being Mega Pokemon of older gens, the only original ones I really liked from that era were Gogoat, Pangoro and Tyrantrum.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Flopsy posted:

Same with magneton in Gen 1.

I mean, you could prefer Magnemite, that's valid.

There are a few lines where I just like the middle evos more. Quilava, Lairon, Wartortle.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Arven and Nemona may be my favourite rivals since... Barry? Which is funny since I didn't think much of Arven from previews and wasn't sure how to feel about Nemona (even among friends, they either love or hate her).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Penny has a great battle theme, for what that's worth.

I actually just realized that while Penny's team is easy to remember and Arven's is 5/6 thematic (and also includes Best Boy), I couldn't really remember what Nemona's team even comprises of so I had to look it up. Pawmot is cool at least.

Hammerite posted:

I think the 3 sidekick characters are all good characters but the thing that makes them actually likeable is that you're allowed to get to know them over the course of the game rather than the game trying from the start to be all "these are your friends and you WILL love them SO HELP ME"

Hey, Tierno's cool. Not wild on the other two tagalongs in X/Y though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Larryb posted:

Only Viola for some reason

The fact that Fantina doesn't have a heavy French accent is just lazy.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Larryb posted:

Oh yeah, forgot she was Gen 6. Yes, she has an accent too (and a thick one at that)

She's actually Gen 4, but a clear Poke-French migrant.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm always surprised by how strong Lokix is considering it's an early bug type. Especially considering how weak Spidops is in comparison.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Now that we're a good few months into SV what do people think of Terastilizing? It's definitely better than Dynamax in my opinion, I think it's better than Z-Moves. I still have a soft spot for Mega Evolution though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I also only just remembered that Kingler has a Gigantamax form which nobody ever uses because Kingler.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I really want to see what Recycle looks like in the anime but hold items aren't really a thing in it.

How does it even work

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
They can also really want to be something like extra wet, or to shed the burden that was being made of steel or something.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Mega evos definitely breathed a lot of life into Pokemon that were otherwise being or had been left behind. Venusaur, Kangaskhan, Pinsir, Beedrill, etc.

Kinda wish some of them were a bit more competitive, not like anyone's seriously using Mega Glalie or Manectric, but I appreciate the effort in a lot of them.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
We should have gotten Mega Plusle and Minun since they're the worst Pikaclones with a gimmick that's never worth it anyway.

Pachirisu isn't great either, but I guess it has Super Fang.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
SV is probably the first game in a while (since Gen 4, I guess) where I could see myself restarting and doing a second playthrough. There's more than enough diversity in Pokemon and how you complete the game, and the story is one of the better ones in Pokemon games.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Kestral posted:

What I'm struggling with right now is how to evaluate them, and figure out what one of these destroyer-of-worlds looks like, and what's something you field because you like the noise it makes when it pops out of the ball. Any idea how to get up to speed on that?

Also, I started Violet and this game is the most incredibly wholesome thing I've experienced in a while. I was surprised at how friendly the rival (?) is! I was expecting a big jerk but this girl seems like a cool bro, like one of those rare middle schoolers who doesn't become a raging rear end in a top hat and looks after the little kids instead. If her unbridled love of BATTLE makes her do a heel turn I'm gonna be sad. Also the music in this game absolutely slaps, and I haven't even gotten to the Toby Fox tracks yet. Delightful experience so far, I am tempted to try completing the pokedex if the rest of it is this charming.

Honestly, you just use your favourite little pals and have fun.

If you want to know who the destroyers are you could probably look them up, but if you just want to go on a fun journey with your buddies and eat sandwiches with them then go nuts and you'll be fine.

Also yeah, we haven't really had a jerkish rival since like... Gen 2?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'll admit to bouncing off Gen 6 myself, but that's because I was experiencing Pokemon burnout at that point (it actually started with B/W2). Even ORAS, a game I should have loved, I ended up being just kinda 'okay' on.

Gen 9 brought it back, it was my first time since Gen 4 buying and finishing a Pokemon game within a week of release (meanwhile, I still have not finished Legends: Arceus).

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Mar 4, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

wizard2 posted:

in that like 10 minute stretch where you partner up with Hugh, he killed the first Shiny I ever saw lol

RIP Shiny Rattata

Is that better or worse than Wally catching a Shiny Ralts in front of you, and then un-Shinifying it in all future encounters with him.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Xander B Coolridge posted:

The usefulness of water absorb Clodsire in the story playthrough cannot be overstated though.

It feels like cheating

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Nothing beats the OG fish, Seaking.

Pokemon Blue was my first game as a kid, and I distinctly remember using the Super Rod on that bridge near Cerulean, fishing up a Seaking, and then crying after I threw all my balls at it and failed to catch it. Good times.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Furnaceface posted:

James always ended up with some of my favourite grass type pokemon in Victreebel, Cacnea and Carnivine. Also his Mareanie was great.

I like that James has had a spread of types in Grass (Victreebel, Cacnea, Carnivine), Psychic (Chimecho, Mime Jr) and Poison (Weezing, Victreebel, Mareanie). Meanwhile Jessie is very heavily Poison (Arbok, Seviper, Dustox), and then some randos like Yanmega/Lickitung/Wobbuffet.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's actually wild to remember that back then, James crossdressing got an episode banned for the west.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
DPPt era was good because it actually let Jessie get some wins (she was mostly a flop in the RSE era).

Also it's a pity Jessie will never catch an Onix and/or Serperior so she could have a mostly snake team.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I don't hate TR being portrayed as actually competent, it's just that by that time they were a well established comedy set so the tonal shift is jarring.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

MorningMoon posted:

Team Rocket did break up at the end of today's episode, but i'm sure they'll get a happy ending in the last two. My hope is they just go back to alola with all the pokemon they got back from HQ and run the best dang donut food truck in the region :3:

I doubt we'll get Team Rocket analogues here. I'm honestly not sure what the format of the show even is, i thought it was paldea school stuff, but that fully staffed airship with the huge pokemon battle field as its wings sure looks like the main setting that travels from location to location. They only say that Liko is from Paldea (and Roy from Kanto) so who knows if the show actually is in Paldea at all.

James better take Growlie with him, the loyal pup's been waiting for him forever.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Gargancl is definitely the surprise win from Gen 9, being mono-Rock, having a superb ability and an amazing signature move, along with Recover. Terastilizing also really pushes it even further.

I like that this gen has some random early mons that turn out to be really good like Gargancl and Lokix. We've had that in previous games too like Talonflame and Corviknight, but this gen feels a bit more spoilt in that regard.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

wizard2 posted:

I think you're spot on. There are just so many greats from early game, it's almost unfair to the rest of 8 Gens. Dachsbun and Clodsire could be crap and they would still get play on their stellar designs alone but they are definitely definitely not crap. I wonder just how much intentional this was to stack the beginning with fantastic/easily understood designs and combat ability?

Pawmot is also another really good early get, especially considering it's a Pikaclone who tend to be one-stage with middling stats (though they have gotten better the last three gens).

There are still a few early mons that are fairly mediocre competitively, like Oinklogne and Spidops, but I think most of the kinda 'ish' mons tend to end up near the middle instead, like Squawkabilly.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Larryb posted:

Going back to Team Rocket for a moment I forget, did Jessie & James appear in the Yellow adaption during Special (I know they were in Electric Tale of Pikachu which was very loosely based on the first two anime seasons)?

They did not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Balache404 posted:

Normal fills the role of "non-elemental" in Pokemon's huge elemental chart. It's not COMPLETELY non-elemental since there are a handful of interactions including them but it's the closest approximation of that. Ironically Normal types typically have the widest array of elemental attacks available to them of any type.

The flip-end is that Psychic types also have a wide spread of elemental attacks but are usually better at actually using them because they had a realistic Special (Attack) and/or Speed stat, there weren't a lot of Normal types that could actually deal good damage with those elemental moves.

There's a reason things like Starmie took off in OU but nobody was really that scared of Blissey as an offensive unit outside of Seismic Toss.