Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Holy poo poo, barely start the game and I manage to first get the camera out of bounds looking at the painting near your Mom's room and then I COMPLETELY broke the camera by going near the TV at the back of the lounge room and the camera refusing to pull away from that zone. Thank gently caress I saved before going downstairs.

What the gently caress have GameFreak been doing these past few years to gently caress up this fundamentally? Sw/Sh weren't even this bad, and they should've had those as solid foundations to build atop. Especially after Crown Tundra. How do you regress to the point of making your flagship title look like a beginner's first Unity project :psyduck:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Lol, did they really make a stupidly-long staircase to the school just to hide a loading zone? :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So just out of curiosity, do you just spot Shiny mons in the world now, or is it more "Surprise; It's actually shiny!!", When you pick a fight?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Fidough's evolution is amazing.

I wasn't ready for Pastry Dachshund, but I adore him already. Ironically I'd named my Fidough Strudel with no knowledge it would turn into this :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HopperUK posted:

I didn't check the ability text and the first time Pastry Dachshund got hit by a fire move I was *delighted*.

SHE IS ALREADY BAKED

whomst among us

The ambient Pokemon behaviours really are very good. I saw a Mudsdale galloping with a Mudbray following after it and it was simple but it really struck me, it looked lovely. And the Pokemon who gather around during fights and get excited and react to everything that happens, they are very good too.

This game is buggy and needed another 6+ months of work, but you can see what the clear intent is through it and it is fantastic. The ambient Pokemon wandering about are pretty much "What kids in the 90's wanted: The Game". A lot of the bugs are stuff that can be readily fixed too, and I'd be hoping there'll be something in the next few weeks to just stomp out the quick-and-easy bugs that're broken triggers (eg; the Elite 4 music, or the camera zone bug I ran into).

Even just the camera getting out of bounds shouldn't be too hard to stop, depending on how their engine works. (The very quick-and-dirty way, as they clearly have physics tools with the Olive Rolling, is to just make the camera a physical object with a collider and rigidbody so it bops into the ground/wall and stops).

...I also saw a Voltorb just blow itself up for no reason. :stonk:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HootTheOwl posted:

I don't know why this game couldn't come out next year. They already had two releases, one of which was already amazing in PLA, and this game clearly needed more time in the oven.
Even the story you can see the seams where they had to do a hard pivot: there's how many double battles in the game? Why do so many new moves and abilities reference double battles?
They spent so much effort on the academy but it doesn't do anything.

So close, game freak.

The more I play, the more I wonder if there's a last-second second build slapped on top of a first draft here and resulted it in it being buggy as poo poo to meet deadline? Like they got about, let's say, 60-70% of the way on Version 1 and then just hard pivoted off into what it is now because someone decide it sucked/had a better idea/just decide They Had Notes. I can't spot where the seams are on this like you can with some games that blatantly went through rewrites, but I swear there's definitely something that's not contiguous about it I can't put my finger on because of the way the school classes work.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Electric Phantasm posted:

Almost got destroyed by a wild Tauros because the first thing that happened is my Fidough landing a critical.

Anger point is scary.

After the last few games having kids gloves on from start-to-finish, it's utterly refreshing to actually have a challenge in some of the wild mons and even the random trainers. I got absolutely bodied by a guy with a Zangoose just powering it up and slicing my team to ribbons. Nevermind people having more than three mon's before the endgame in general. Absolutely loving it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Huh, Quaxley's line sure takes a turn :eyepop: I was expecting a swing from "Ugly Duckling" to "Swan Lake" going by Quaxwell. Instead swung wide to Carnivale Peacock. :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
This is very much a me/minor nitpick, but just coming off travel in past Pokemon games I'm... not really a fan of the presence of the Legendaries from the get-go as travel companions. It's interesting having just A dedicated travel pokemon, but the core of the games has always been your own party and partner choices, and Miraidon/Koraidon just feel a little too overly-present/reductive for me if that makes sense? I totally get why it's the case, but I feel something more interesting could've been done folding past travel pokemon concepts into an open-world game. Put the all-in-one Legendary mid/late game for consolidation as the cool thing to get, but add some other travel pokemon too like Gogoat or the Cyclizars. Maybe some are faster, or better jumpers, so if you want to go out on the water you're looking along the shoreline for something to ride on, or something to jump up a cliff face, that sort of thing.

To be clear I'm totally fine with it as-is and thoroughly enjoying it, just idle thoughts that something better could've been done with what's available.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Terper posted:

I think the endgame strongly justifies Miraidon/Koraidon's role in the story as the only travel option you have. For future games I'd like them to open it up more, yeah, but I think it was the right choice for this game.

Oh yeah, I totally get where the idea and execution is here and I'm fine with it (it's a lot of fun roaming around once you get some travel abilities too). I'm just kinda musing there's money left on the table for something broader to play with for an open-world Pokemon game, as they included a couple of prior transport pokemon and one new explicitly transport-type pokemon you just aren't allowed to engage with despite everyone else doing so.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BAD rear end minion memes! posted:

Being able to breed Pokemon mounts like the Chocobos in Final Fantasy would be amazing!

I wasn't thinking individual stats, more like say Cyclizar and Mudsdale are A Fast Mount, Gogoat are A High-Jumping Mount, that kind of thing. But it'd be interesting to have stats influence that just a little to oomph out a tiny bit more speed/height/glide time/whatever for those that'd want to.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spanish Manlove posted:

I don't think game freak could have handled making more models and animations for ride pokemon

Just argument's sake and some back-of-napkin game coding, etc, but you actually wouldn't necessarily need to do that much. The key factors here are standardization and scalability given the scope of the game, and that's actually more doable than you might think; The Pokemon movement animation sets already exist as-is for ambient running/walking/flying animations and collision models. Your only actual work here would be designating a seat position on the back of the pokemon model and placing the player model there in the existing "Sitting on Mount" animation when mounting the "vehicle" pokemon and taking control of it. And it doesn't have to be every single pokemon, so you've got a pretty good handle on what your conditions will be for placement, behaviour, etc.

Model-wise, that's something you can fudge with a standardized saddle seat with handles. Something like the Mudsdale one in Sun/Moon. Player avatar sits on saddle, place saddle at SEAT_POINT on your mount pokemon, should work nice across anything that's a quadruped and not too wide. Some of the others are viable too, for example that paragliding rig from PLA for flying types - just place it the carry bar flush with the hanging feet on all the bird pokemon with flying animations and you're done.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HopperUK posted:

there are TANDEMAUS SHOES

this is huge

You cant just say that and not say where they are. :toughguy:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

goferchan posted:

Holy poo poo... you get your navigation abilities from Herba Mystica :psyduck:

gently caress. :cripes:

There's a scenario writer somewhere at the Pokemon company smiling smugly and he knows exactly why.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Finally rolled a Fuecoco in a surprise trade to round out my starter trinity.

I don't regret choosing Quaxley, but Fuecoco really is just the bestest and sweetest boy. :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I just called mine Pompaduck, for his fabulous hair.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FoolyCharged posted:

Man, those are some comically lame patch notes. Have they always been that bad?

"What did we do? We uhh... fixed stuff. What stuff? No, no, that's not important enough for the report. Hmmm.... but 'fixed some stuff is only one line and my boss might yell at me for that. I guess I'll distinctly list 1 bug, that should keep me out of trouble"

No, that's probably possibly more in line with a policy of general "Security fixes" in bug-patching notes. The point isn't laziness but to obscure game-manipulating exploits they don't want the playerbase at-large to learn about like, say, item duplication. Because the moment that's listed clear as day in patch notes, people start holding onto the old version to abuse the hell out of it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blaziken386 posted:

its a double pun!

both the past/future tense, but also in english: "(ko/mi)-ride on" :cheeky:

gently caress :cripes:.

I knew the past/future bit, but somehow the ride-on bit just slid right on by. :negative:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

big black turnout posted:

Lol just saw a Tinkaton named Discord Mod

I call mine Violence.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Finished the main story and I swear Area Zero is the Beta Rooms for this game's development. There's some really jank over-bright lighting throughout and it's all relatively simple terrain art.

Also for the love of god, bake your static lighting Gamefreak. Or at least fix your occlusion culling so turning doesn't cull the wall out of sight behind you and remove the shadow it was casting in front of you.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I missed out on the Charizard raids, sadly...

...but I got REAL lucky and received a Charmander in a wonder trade! :peanut:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Larryb posted:

It hasn’t been patched at all but none of the glitches are particularly gamebreaking and you might not even notice anything major.

That aside, I would probably call it one of the best Pokémon games in recent years and say it’s definitely worth playing despite some minor hiccups

Actually it got a 1.1 patch a little while back.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Eiba posted:

I don't imagine it would be particularly easy to implement dozens of riding animations for various pokemon, so I don't seriously expect it, but I think it would be really fun!

I brought up the same thing a while back, amd this should be a relatively scaleable solution with some standardized Ride saddles, because all you need per Pokemon is a designated mounting point for their saddle type to be placed as every pokemon has a full set of movent animations already for running around the world on their own.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AlternateNu posted:

By actual laws of physics, flying types should be immune to electricity and ground types should be weak to it. So :shrug:

Incorrect. Ground types are safely Grounded against electrical surges. Flying types get fried because they're often airborne and therefore just cop a lightning hit right through them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
All I want out of this Pokemon Presents is to see DLC for New Pokemon Snap that just rolls the original game's locations into it as a sneaky remaster of the original.

Along with Let's Go Johto games.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If Trubbish is a Garbage Cat, does that technically make it a raccoon pokemon?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So does Meowth just poop coins in it's sleep?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I've just got this mental image of Rick with angry little eyes, effortlessly stopping each punch with his little nub arms like he's Neo at the end of the Matrix. :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Finished the Teal Mask's story. I enjoyed the DLC well enough, but I kinda feel there should've been another village or two around the mountain or something. It's a good-sized map for the DLC, but just feels like it has a little too much "nothing" in it.

Paldea's got plenty of open space too, but it's at least in service of being a journey between places. Here it's just round the mountain and back again to the same village a few times over with nothing to break it up a little.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't really like the two versions thing but I think it's cool some Pokemon require multiplayer.

That's neat imo.

I think there's a small argument in versioning having lost some relevance in the Switch years, simply because it's not "as" portable a console as prior Pokemon platforms (ie; For trading mons on the school playground). That said, I still think it's a neat way to encourage people to socialize and cooperate if you want to get that complete Dex.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ibblebibble posted:

I found Bugsy in Radical Red and I got him down to like 1% on his final pokemon before he knocked me out. Scizor is a pain in the rear end when you don't have fire moves!

Anyway Steel-type Miku. Not what I was expecting but very cool anyway.

https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1706609619869581343

Huh, I was expecting big scissor-blade twintails for her hair.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Scholtz posted:

Fighting:
Heracross
Hisuian Sneasel
Tyrogue
Hitmontop

Dragon:
Mega Ampharos
Kingdra

Doesn't look good for Johto!

Personally I'm hoping for Mienshao/Noivern

I want to bet Hitmontop for fighting, due to it being based around Capoera.

I could definitely see Noivern for Dragon. :hmmyes:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Okay, yeah, we shoulda seen that one coming.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

galagazombie posted:

Called it. the bastards. This was the real reason for Dexit, to make it so no game can actually store all your teams since at least a few members of any team won't be in one game or another, to try and force you to pay the ransom fee for Home.

Home is a necessity for a collectathon franchise across multiple platforms and successive titles. It means the newest games don't get hamstrung by considerations and tech debt for interfacing with older games, they only have to talk to a standardized API that can ingest and return compatible pokemon for that game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MorningMoon posted:

I gotta assume the development was troubled. The complete lack of Gen 9 makes me think this was meant to release early last year.

Lack of Gen 9 doesn't necessarily mean that if it's different teams working in parallel. Arguement's sake, etc, Pokemon might change during development, so it's not something you can rely on for your other game if the main one cuts or changes something you just wrote a sidequest or character around.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PAX-AUS has free pin sets for playing their Hidden Treasure of Area Zero DLC demo. I've beaten the DLC already, but a free pin set is a free pin set :shrug:. Honestly I was kinda hoping it'd be the four Ogrepon masks, but it's still pretty nice for a freebie.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
What I want to know is when we're getting Australia as a region?! :colbert:

Our food thing can be obscenely-piled HSP's.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Each gym is a "Biggest" location, with Gigantomax Pokemon. Like we'll have the "Biggest Rock Gym", and it's just a colossal boulder.

The Water Gym is housed inside the Biggest Bucket, etc.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Australian starter evo chain; Quokka > Wallaby > Kangaroo. (Fire)

The other two can be a Platypus (Water) and a Wombat (Grass)

Funky Valentine posted:

Regional variant of Sinistea that's a haunted beer can.

Nah, it'd be coffee and predominantly found in the South-East area of the map as a Dark type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I just wish they'd give us Let's Go Gold/Silver :sigh:.

And give us an Apricorn or Great Ball controller to go with it, Gamefreak :shepspends:.