Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

DoctorWhat posted:

Hey I have a question.

Why did Game Freak take the menu off of Start? Like, I know this started generations ago, but it was baffling then. Do we know why?

I think it was just ease of access since start buttons were tiny and the other bigger buttons weren't really being used for much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

For Nintendo games? That's about how they often look

It depends on the game. Some of them are comically detailed and long. And some are like this.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Augus posted:

The only real shortcomings they have is that they came before the introduction of fairy types and the elimination of HMs, and that the main stories cap out in only the 50’s so you won’t be using cool evolved mons like Hydreigon until the post game

I will also add that the earlygame of BW1 really sucks rear end because your choices are so limited so you can't circumvent gym 1's tutorial without the monkey. You can't even get the regional bird until after gym 1. Even before XY started showering you with choices, BW1 has the most limited roster early on compared to the earlier generations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I just realized they nerfed Thunder Wave to only have 90 accuracy instead of 100, that was a bullshit move!!!

That was a gen 7 nerf after paralysis was popular in gen 6 VGC. :V

They also nerfed paralysis’s speed cut to 50% instead of 25% back then.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Not really too far in, but I'm having a lot of fun just getting sidetracked. Little disappointed my first upgrade was a dash. I mean moving around faster is definitely a great boon in a game like this, but I was hoping for something that lets me move to new places. :v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah the breeding stuff is outdated. Bottlecaps used to be absurdly rare, but now they’re super easy to get. Mints to change nature weren’t also easy to get as they are now.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Azurill has a 25/75 gender ratio. 1/3 of those girls will evolve into boys because Marill has a 50/50 gender ratio.

Not anymore. Some improvements to how individual Pokemon are coded starting from gen 6 locks in values so changes like that can't happen anymore.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

On my way to the water gym I decided to take on the earth titan since it was on the way. Yeah this thing wasn't meant to be taken on this early as I saw from Arven's level, who carried me hard in the 2nd phase. Salt Cure did wonders at chipping it down, but Arven carried me. Felt good to circumvent the level curve and gliding is a cool feature to unlock.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

BitBasher posted:

That's not true in all cases though. Breloom can never learn Spore if you don't delay the evolution from 23 to 40 when Shroomish learns it. If you don't do that you can end up with a Breloom where spore isn't even on the move list to remember. I had it happen in Scarlet with my first Breloom.

Which is bizarre as gen 8 went out of its way to stamp out all such cases, but Gen 9 had a few mons that slipped through like that.

Pretty sure all the stone evolutions don't fall under this anymore though.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

Progress flag for mints is six badges

This also causes bottle caps to be stocked at Delibird Presents.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Haifisch posted:

One style of game isn't better than the other by default,

Tell that to a bunch of people that think open world is like the ultimate genre, cause hoo boy there's a lot of those folks and it's pretty annoying.

That being said I'm enjoying my time with Scarlet, though yeah the world is a bit too empty at times.

Framboise posted:

Emptiness may make the world look big and full of adventure, but it doesn't really make for engaging gameplay.

Not entirely true. You do want some emptiness here and there to make the world feel bigger if you're having a big explorable world. Of course there's such a thing as going too far with it.

Though overstuffing a world can hurt a game as well and make it feel too small or cluttered. Seen quite a few cases of that.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 10, 2022

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Shadow Pokemon are typically decent at the points you get them at, but if you don't purify them, they'll fall off in usefulness.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

:supaburn:

I just noticed a yellow Sableye, was confused and then realized what I was looking at. No shiny boosts either.

Also holy gently caress Area Zero. :stare:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Your friend motorbike is basically locked to your game since it can't be put into a box or traded. The rear end in a top hat motorbike is the one that's meant to be treated as a regular mon.

Alternatively speedrun through the game on a 2nd account and trade the rear end in a top hat bike from that account there, though that will either require NSO for an online trade or a buddy with Violet in real life willing to trade bikes.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

So here’s a question that doesn’t really have much of an answer beyond wild speculation: what’s the over/under on breeding for natures being semi important if you want your minted mons that you spend hours grinding 500k each on not being a thing in the next generation? How likely is it that GF is like “poo poo making nutty rounded out mons was too easy let’s dial it back, especially if you move any to Home in March? Or is it simply a stat change that is somehow kept and won’t be reverted by balance passes applied against your will to any PokéPals in your Home boxes?

Natures don't change from mints. They and the stat changes have been decoupled, so it's highly unlikely they'll revert that. Mints only change the stat changes.

Natures do matter for breeding, as the stat changes from the original nature will be passed down, not the minted changes.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Larryb posted:

So has it been confirmed that Terra Raid Pokémon have a 100% catch rate no matter what ball you use or is there a small chance of it breaking free and escaping like in the Dynamax Raids from the previous games?

Tera raids are guaranteed catches like with Dynamax Adventures.

Blaziken386 posted:

weird question: how does tera-type affect non-direct buffs and boosts? I ask because I just got a water-tera Avalugg and i distinctly remember hail getting a buff this gen - do sandstorm/snowstorm defensive buffs apply to tera'd pokemon who were originally rock/ice type, or am I being too hopeful?

i ask because hail buff + iron defense + body press is calling to me like a siren song, and I would like it very much if I could have that bonus while also being a type with actual resistances.

Tera type completely changes the Pokemon's type to the tera type, with all of the benefits and downsides to them.

So unfortunately the Avalugg will miss out on the weather buff.

Lux Animus posted:

What I'd like to know is how Adaptability (ability: attacks of your type get a 2x STAB instead of 1.5x) works if you Tera into your original type AND use an attack of that type with Adaptability. 2.5x STAB?

Adaptability's damage bonus will be lost for anything that wasn't the tera type.

If the Tera type was one of your Pokemon's original types, the damage bonus is increased from 2x to 2.25x.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

indigi posted:

are square shinies still a thing

Nope, they got dropped pretty quickly.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Flutter Mane is such a massive cheat code for Charizard. It doesn't have physical attacks, so its low defense matters none. Most of its moveset barely does anything to Flutter Mane, or doesn't do anything at all. Also if Charizard uses Sunny Day, hello Protosynthesis.

Modest is the nature of choice and 252 HP/252 Special Attack/6 Special defense is the EV spread.

Make sure to equip one with a Covert Cloak to avoid burns and most importantly Confusion from Hurricane.

-Moonblast
-Draining Kiss
-Calm Mind
-Fake Tears

Moonblast is your main damage option, with Draining Kiss for healing. Calm Mind will help your Flutter Mane tank its attacks even more. Fake Tears is also excellent because Charizard wastes its debuff purge with the Overheat cheap shot combo at the start of the battle, so any debuffs you put on it are pretty much permanent.

Tera type is ideally Fairy, though it probably won't matter as -6 Sp. Def Charizard still takes tons of damage through the shield.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 16, 2022

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Quick question about event 7* raids, if I clear them once solo, do they respawn again? I know they don't give more guaranteed Patches and Charizards, but the EXP rewards are good for how easy they are with Fluffy Misdreavus.

Same rules as 6 star raids. They reset once per day.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Vandar posted:

The Charizard raid is basically solved and everyone knows what they're doing for it so as long as you know what you're getting into and come prepared it's pretty drat easy.

Support Grimmsnarl built for special defense is also excellent at shutting down Charizard and basically causing the rest of your team to be dragged kicking and screaming to victory if they have enough offensive prowess.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

Geeta, the Pokémon league chairwoman, creeps me out. In a game with a lot of more fully acted characters she is still one of the ones that is still extremely flat and not very emotive. I really did expect her to be the main villian of the game for a while. I guess she is just a normal administrator and eats live Fidoughs for dinner on the side.

I'm wondering if there's more to her, namely cause they make a specific point about Glimmora being a rare mon that you can find in Area Zero (even though Glimmet can be found rarely outside of it). That and the connections Glimmora has to Terastallizing. I guess we'll see in the DLC.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I doubt its anything shady but wouldn't be surprised if she's been to Area 0 before and will be involved in whatever DLC stuff will be happening there

Yeah I doubt she's evil, just probably has more to her the game didn't really explore in the base game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Well I've finally done it. I caught a competitively viable shiny Scream Tail in a love ball. I think I'm going to take a break from shiny hunting for a while after this because holy poo poo even with the shiny charm and sparkling power 3 finding one is a massive struggle. On the flip side I caught a spare so if anybody wants her she's up for grabs. First come first serve just shoot me off a PM.

Thanks!

Bobulus posted:

Has this already been noticed? Whenever I got to the auctions ingame, I always get three auctions, and there's a fourth booth that's empty. I always thought that was weird, since there's four food-selling vendors around them. Last night I discovered that when the map loads, there is a fourth auction NPC, but after a moment they despawn. Normally, you wouldn't be able to see this, since the whole town would load together, and the view of the auctions would be blocked by the roof and walls as you enter the city. However, I was standing in the auction area while I did raids, so I was able to see the load.

I even had one time when the NPC reappeared, but they were insubstantial: My character couldn't talk to them, passed right through them, and they had no 'auction' word balloon.

That NPC sells transformation items, like for Rotom or for Arceus. They only spawn in when you have one of those mons in your boxes.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Found that out the hard way. Fortunately attacking moves with debuffs attached such as Spirit Break will still apply the debuff.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Egg moves are also transferred instantly. You don't need to AFK. Set up the picnic then leave instantly. Bam, moves are transferred.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

"The treasures could only be freed by someone pure of heart." Hands out Nasty Plot TM as a reward. "I'll offer to take the treasures off your hands if they're too much for you."

I think the history teacher might be evil.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

There's been 1 patch that helped performance slightly. Very few outright game breaks but some nasty frame drops and slowdowns in some areas. In my time playing I had 1 game crash, no idea what caused it, just picked up a rare candy and software error. It'll depend on what your tolerance is for that kind of thing, but overall it'll hold itself together.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Friendship evos in this game are basically dump ev berries (17 without a Soothe Bell, 11 with one) down their throat and level them up and that's it. It's easily the easiest game to get those in.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

indigi posted:

can you buy them? in sumo you got like 60/day from poke Pelago

Auctions can sell up to around 80 to 90 berries. Raids also dump quite a few on you.

If you hatched an egg you'll need even less berries, as those start off at 120 friendship.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

https://twitter.com/Sibuna_Switch/status/1605461560293482496

Well that explains the sky high rate of critical captures. Most of them aren't really critical captures.

Failed critical captures aren't really visible anymore. It's the same as getting 0 shakes.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Critical captures are always 1 shake check. The first shake is guaranteed. At that point it can break out or stay in.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

indigi posted:

what's the purpose of giving raid Pokémon all that extra HP if attacks are similarly boosted to do much more damage? just more leeway to calibrate stuff?

Damage is not boosted. The way the damage formula works means that the damage can get super sky high, which is why the HP on the raid mon is buffed. The other thing to remember is that there's 3 other teammates smacking the raid mon at the same time.

quote:

+6 252+ SpA Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Beam vs. -6 0 HP / 0 SpD Cinderace: 11736-13808 (3899 - 4587.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Possible damage amounts: (11736, 11874, 12012, 12150, 12288, 12426, 12564, 12702, 12840, 12978, 13116, 13254, 13392, 13530, 13668, 13808)

Assuming Sylveon's capabilities as a laser cannon aren't hampered for the upcoming Cinderace raid, this is the kind of nonsense you can get up to with enough setup.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

They're a 1.5x boost to the respective stats. This stacks with buffs and debuffs. The cheers are permanent and are only dispelled upon the raid mon clearing buffs.

In solo raids, you can actually apply the stat cheers twice, in which the bonus goes up to 2x. In group raids they can only be applied once.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

:3:

Shiny hunting this gen is ridiculously powerful.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Cinderace is also smart enough to go for the highest damaging option, as STAB Pyro Ball will outdamage a super effective Iron Head in some cases.

Grimmsnarl isn't ideal, but it's fine. The only real issue that will arise is if you have a Psychic Terrain setter on the team, which will basically completely shut down Grimmsnarl.

Toxapex is pretty much the best and most consistent support I've used for the raids. Unfortunately unlike with Charizard, there aren't really outright hard carry mons, as if your teammates decide to bring belly drummers, welp hope things will either work out or the raid is over quick so you can find another one. Only issue with it is that the movepool gutting it got means it can't cover certain situations, but it's been pretty solid as long as the team wasn't outright throwing.

Solo Slowbro is basically foolproof. Buff up enough times, throw on a cheer, and one shot the poor rabbit. Slowbro's main enemies are its teammates in actual groups, as if they die, the timer will get deducted and trigger Cinderace's scripted reactions.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 30, 2022

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

indigi posted:

I had all my feather dances fail in the last two raids I did except for the first one in each, is there some mechanical requirement for that move I’m not aware of? bunny was buffing the whole time so he definitely wasn't at -6

If the shield is active, status moves will fail. Moves with secondary effects can still bypass it though. Which is why Chilling Water and Acid Spray are the debuffing moves of choice.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I've tried out a Qwilfish and holy crap this thing is a god tier support. Not as safe as Toxapex, but it's capable of doing so much more.

The downside is that it causes the host and the other players more likely to abandon the raid.

Surreal to see this thing actually useful for once though.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

If there’s enough support the Slowbro won’t need to set up as much and can beeline spamming Nasty Plot and can launch the stored power nuke early.

But yeah that’s the typical move rotation if everyone’s not quite on the same page. It’s unfortunately quite a selfish, long, and not really being a team player strategy since it takes so long to pull off, but it’s fairly reliable as long as the rest of the team doesn’t die.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

snohax posted:

So in the case of that Slowbro, if this was you joining a Cinderace raid and immediately attacking, then unfortunately you were in fact the problem there, and if you had hung back and used some status moves or cheers instead, Slowbro would likely have wiped out most if not all of the boss's health with a single Stored Power.

Stored Power Slowbro as reliable as it is, is an incredibly selfish, long, and specific strategy. So no, they weren't the problem for not knowing about this specific strategy in some random raid where there's little communication that can be done. The Slowbro is dead weight for most of it and basically can't adapt to other situations since they can only do one thing. There's a reason why pretending to be Martin's Solrock is a horrible strategy otherwise for most other raids.

The raid mechanics also are not very clear for people who don't look this up on the internet, which is a big portion of the playerbase. Not helped by raids being very loving jank.

blizzardvizard posted:

I don't think you need to use a move of your Tera type, you just need to be Terastallized to deal more damage to the shield. My Grimmsnarl would deal more damage with Chilling Water while Fairy Tera'd.

Unfortunately no, it has to be the same tera type. Moves that don't match the tera type don't deal more damage through shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The anime is also geared towards a much younger audience than the people who play the games. Basically just kids, where the games are a more general everyone demographic with a focus on kids. They probably thought SM Lusamine was too heavy a subject for that audience.

Can't explain why USUM did that to her. Probably as someone said just to shift the spotlight to Necrozma.