Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Okay, after all this time I have finished most of the game and can now get back to reading the thread and... oh god I've missed so much didn't I? Haven't played with any guides, just going by in-game info. I still have no idea about so many changes :v: I also see talk of new Pokemon? I didn't even finish catching the Paradox ones! Hell I didn't even get to finish a single shrine, I did find some random stakes tho. Got to the point where the history teacher marked it on my map, so I'll get onto that.

So I'm halfway through the post-game, but decided to take a detour to finally finish all my lessons at the academy in case it is needed for the big thing at the end and boy, the music will haunt my loving dreams. What a bizzare choice to never change it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Tera raids for more paradox mons available at the moment if you're interested. Both versions are available for online raids thank god but Scarlet players are eating good today I must say. I love my fluffy water raptor child.

Oh, how to find these on the map? Do I need to get lucky with the right type raid or are these special raids marked somehow? AMD what's that about 7 star ones? I've never seen or beaten any 5* ones, any tips on going for them. My good dogs are around lvl 70, but still struggle sometimes...

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Ah so the consensus is that Penny is the worst of the 3 rivals in SV. I was wondering what the thread opinion was.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I geniuenly mean that. Nemona is a great rival and her fights are very good and well paced.
Arven... he's great. His plot (and the entirety of Area Zero plot) is some of the most brutal and completely unhinged writing I've ever seen in a Pokemon game, and all he wanted was to feed some sandwiches to his sick puppy.

Meanwhile Penny contributes virtually nothing as most of the time she's a disembodied undercover voice and her plot is mostly inconsequential to the rest of the game. She's there because we needed an "evil" team and she got to be the leader. I will admit that I'm really happy with her battle team tho, I've always wanted to create one like that and it's great there's someone who can competently pull off that gimmick in the games.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

"... Mommy?"

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

HopperUK posted:

You're welcome! Let me know what you think.

My current favourite of the Pokemonalikes is Coromon. I really like the existence of a 1/35 chance 'potent' mon that has a different colour scheme. Though I don't really love the idea of colour being tied to stats; I kinda prefer how Pokemon does it these days, when shininess does not denote effectiveness, but you can make any given Pokemon battle-worthy if you want.

Only tried Nexomon briefly and couldn't work out how to nickname my mons which is a dealbreaker, though I think they do have that now and I probably just missed it.

Temtem doesn't appeal at all.

Are you playing Coromon on PC or the Android version? I'm kinda on the fence here, because I want to pull the trigger on the game as it has gorgeous pixel art and seems like a very competent evolution of the B2W2 era Pokemon mechanically.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
What, all these normal-type posts and no love for Body Slam? My Serene Greace Dudunsparce with 60% chance to paralyze on 85BP 100% accurate move was the star of a few gyms in Violet.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Wait, Pursuit got purged? And Signal Beam and Silver Powder at once?
:psyduck:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1635626839652675590?t=4jkdohp8a7qFoDbdBcKhYQ&s=19

https://hard-drive.net/hd/video-games/pokemon/with-over-1000-pokemon-game-freak-announces-a-cull/ how wierd we just talked about this

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

Throw out half the Water-types and that solves the issue

Or set the region in the middle of the desert

What I'm saying is give us a proper Orre trilogy with a thousand good dogs

I mean I would be all down for visiting Orre, but the games work *because* of the limited mon distribution, so adding a 1000 good dogs wouldn't improve them.
What would improve them would be removing that 100 floor climb dear god

wizard2 posted:

Game Freak give me Pokemon Conquest 2

Oh this I would get behind. Or a new Rangers game.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Bug being super effective against Psychic and Dark means it's always kind of relevant. And there are a lot of good non-Steel Bugs like Scizor, Lokix, Heracross, Volcarona, etc.

Even as a defensive type, it can leveraged with its resistances to Fighting and Ground, two common coverage types. We just haven't had many good defensive Bug combinations that aren't part Steel. Buzzwole's close but doubling up on its Flying weakness holds it back slightly. Araquanid isn't bad either, it's just a little too low on BST and has no reliable recovery.

A good defensive Bug/Electric type might be good though, like Vikavolt only has two weaknesses.

Araquanid with Water Bubble and Liquidation is definately not picked for his defensive potential let me tell you that.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

pyrotek posted:

You'd pretty much need two GB/GBC/GBA systems and a link cable to trade with one cartridge being an Everdrive using a completed save.

As a side note, if you wanted to do this legit, you'd need either Blue and Gold or Silver and one of Red or Yellow in addition to Crystal, and you'd have to make multiple runs in the Gen 1 game to get both of the fossils, and then a third run to get the final starter. How did people ever complete a Pokedex back then?

With Difficulty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzdOB5V7UCw This person completed a whole Living Dex in Gen 2 and it was a much bigger trip than everyone anticipated. They also did Gen 1, which was rather easy as it was only two games, so even if there were some difficulties, you just had to play the game a few times. Now they're attempting to make a Gen 3 one and it seems like it'll be a loooooooong endavour.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Zaroff posted:

Isn’t Gen 3 going to need you to go through the GameCube games multiple times (completing the 100-streak Battle Tower each time) in order to get things like the Gen 2 starters and legendaries?

Yes, also the whole e-reader riffraff.
Reminder, it only got worse.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1638058277224194049

Best Boy added to Pokemon Masters EX. I was kinda disappointed when he wasn't a secret boss or something.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Still cannot believe they called it Ionozone and not Ionosphere

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Zuzie posted:

https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1642667835733278720

Next tera raid battle is Ditto, you know, for those who don't have one already.

I don't! Great news!

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm glad I picked Violet but it does feel like Scarlet has the better exclusives (aesthetically). Slither Wing is cool.

Better names too, not everything is "Iron Something" :rolleyes:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I somehow always end up with a team that's weak to electric :v: I just can't seem to find any good ground/rock types I like. Gigalith was a workhorse of my Gen V team, but that dude died to a wet rag and most of his use was "send out the Sturdy one, giving me a chance to revive 2". Really should play more with Pooper. Little dude completely no-sold Ionos gym, but alas I benched him afterward.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Hammerite posted:

I think it would be interesting to have a generation where the starters all shed their primary typing once they reach their final stages. That's one thing they've not yet done

There are not many lines like that at all, are there? Not many Pokemon drop a type completely when evolving.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
My main gripe with Violet is still how badly optimized it is. This is worse than pre-Plat gen IV, it's just tiring to play.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Yes, and I would like to keep playing after the story to complete the pokedex, but the performance just pushes me away. It's so tedious. And it's not just rain, it's all weather, like the sandstorm that sweeps over the water town (:psyduck:), that tanks the framerate like no other.

Still like it and probably will buy the DLC, but this time I will pay close attention to performance. SwSh managed to improve on that with DLC so I kinda have hopes for Violet.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Then you get the weird shinies that change color palette when they evolve when the non-shiny variants don't?

Like Azuril + Marril being green but Azumarril turns gold for some reason. Because it's the golden egg?? Maybe?

This has something to do with how early shiny data was stored, like they didn't actually want to do 252 sprites recolored. Gameboy images took data from two sources - the sprite (arrangement of pixels) and the palette (what color those pixels should be). So, for a simple trick, when the game declared the Pokemon was shiny, the sprite was read from the same place, but there was a different (I don't know exactly how different, a flipped bit, some sort of equation?) palette loaded. And violla, now you got all the Pokemon in different colors.

Except you know, not all palettes are created equal. And the palettes that were being used for shiny weren't only Pokemon ones, as all graphics follows this rule. Since there is a lot of outdoors in Pokemon, there is a lot of green palettes for the changed bit to land on.

So it might be because the Palettes for Marril and Azumarril are from two different areas of the cart, and then Azuril was made green to fit the theme? I don't know when did they move from this method of shiny calculation, possibly as late as Gen 4.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
As fas as I'm concerned, all Pokemon are gay

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I gave it a quick bash, cassette beasts is great too and I loaded up White 2 and instantly started actually having fun.

I recommend Coromon, it's what Pokemon would have become if it never moved to 3D. It's on every platform under the sun.

Yeah I finished Violet's story, and even wanted to try an attempt to complete the Pokedex, but my god is everything so slow. My eyes just slide off it. I like everything about it except actually playing it. I think I will skip the DLC as well, I've got no hype left for this. Especially since there will be games to play this autumn.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

And on top of that, a Pokemon can be an Alpha in Arceus, meaning they get glowing red eyes and a distortion effect on their cry.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Why the gently caress these single promotional images are having character sheets with details you can't even see in the final image? Are they gonna make 3D models of this? Is project Voltage a game?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1701536279802831079

That's cool, also Miku has that gamer slouch in the second character sheet.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
SwSh feels like a lot of misplaced effort - on one hand, the places that they bothered to put some design into, like the big central city, not-London and the fairy grove forest were very pretty with nice vistas. On the other hand, the ones with encounters were loving one screen long corridors with no offshoots. It all felt so empty, like everything you can interact with was moved to the big open area. It also featured some of the most cumbersome navigation in the series (that one desert road with ladders was so bad).

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

There are gonna be songs related to that right?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Girl, what are those shoes?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Hammerite posted:

Arcanine is pronounced R-canine

...is it not?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
STRONG Jojo vibes from this one

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Hammerite posted:

Zigzagoon and Obstagoon are actually pronounced "zig-zag-go-on" and "obsta-go-on"

"Hydrocity"

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Dienes posted:

Pokemon Clover lets you change the ball a captured pokemon is in for a nominal fee. Makes me so angry when I switch to another game.

Wait isn't Clover that racist/hate filled romhack from 4chan? Because they had the idea for a solid Pokemon game and a joke one, and only the joke one got made, didn't it? The other one was Sage, still in the making afair.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Oh my god :allears:

I'm using that.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
https://twitter.com/OoCPokemon/status/1712356591704645848

What do you MEAN it's been 10 years??

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Yo but for real shoutout to the last well-optimized 3D mailnile title. While undercooked and feeling unfinished at parts, X and Y were a monumental step forward over BW/2 and I enjoyed them immensely. Even though people put more praise in SuMo, I have returned to PokeFrance a lot more than I did to PokeHawai. We didn't know how good we had it. The designs were great and new mechanics and moves did a lot to shake up the formula in a fun way, and X/Y need to be recognized for that.

Plus having this banger be the final track in the Team Flare Music Evolution Line was very much worth it.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Muscle Tracer posted:

It's particularly egregious when you're trying to do stuff between games. Like, moving an Ursaring from SV to Home to Arceus and then doing anything with it requires three different control schemes to do exactly the same actions. It's like something out of User Inyerface.

When I fire up Violet after a break I want to see my team.

Without failure, every single time I open, in this order: the Pokedex, the map and then the menu.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Paradox Volcorona having its wings be satellite bits is cool as heck, but it also illustrates the problem where the future paradox mons usually only really shine in motion. Iron Bundle just looks like a shiny Delibird, until it gets attacks and it turns out it’s a toy, for instance.

Yeah, I love the animations for Iron Brundle. I just hate the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Scholtz posted:

Lapras isn't an animal it's a boat

Reading this, my brain instantly went: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP0m-PJozWo