Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Vandar posted:

My wife's car is in the shop so she's taking my car to work tomorrow so I won't be able to pick up my copy of the game until tomorrow evening.

Tomorrow is going to be a long day :negative:

you could buy it digital, download it right loving now and play it in like 4 hours.

I'm on the fence right now, leaning towards not buying it. I got Sonic and God of War, and there's gonna be some wacky sales in a couple days so I could get AI Somnium Files 2, Elden Ring and like finally DQ11 for the same price as pokemon...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I saw a clip of the map just not loading and popping in and out during attacks and someone going 'the game is like this all the time'

Is it really a unplayable nightmare or did one person run into a bug and blow it out of the water. First pokemon game I've been interested in awhile and making me nervous

The vibe i'm getting is that it's mostly fine for the average user just a lot of slowdowns and minor graphical glitches, but as a true open world game there's a ton of variables so some folk will end up having dogshit experience.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Scholtz posted:

The clip function only caught the last frame of this so I had to up the brightness but lmaooo

this rules

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

https://twitter.com/o7R6FnxTQzhxSF3/status/1593456042146672640

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

HD DAD posted:

Lol an NPC in Los Platos walked toward me and just phased out of reality like a ghost.

Game rules.

https://twitter.com/Alpharad/status/1593480110828462085

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

HD DAD posted:

Love my floating bread dog

I know the recipe asked to let it rise, but this is ridiculous!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Avalerion posted:

Does that saying even exist in japanese?

The weakness chart falls apart if you think about it too hard. Steel being weak to fire... when steel actually has a higher melting point than most other materials? Grass being weak to fire might seem like a no brainer... until you try to start a campfire from green wood. Why is rock weak to water?

Junichi Masuda feverishly believes that jet fuel does, in fact, melt steel beams.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Game seems fun but too jank for me to pay the 60 right now. I hope the choice pays off for me and they do that "update with the rest of the content we wanted to launch with" patch 1 month later like they did with PLA.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Now that it's been a bit and the meta's forming and everything, I got a question:

Does Hisuian Typhlosion have anything going for it? There's like 3 new 'mons with the same typing as it this gen, and his signature move really doesn't seem better than older moves.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Reminder that in a couple of hours, Kalos vs Galar will happen to decide which gen is objectively better than the other.
https://www.google.com/search?q=wor...30q7;dt;fp;1;;;

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Personally, I think this at its core comes from a practicality angle. The VAs are in their 50s and either would get replaced or the characters finally retire. This is a pretty nice way to retire them, Ash is finally finding Butterfree and will also get back together with his ex from that one movie.
https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/1603699094689652736

Really curious how the production issues in the backhalf of 2022 impact this. The new anime certainly looks like it's OLM with its style and the compositing done in that desk scene.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Pokemon put out a video about over 1000 very good dogs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa08Y-fhfTI

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Catching up on the anime to at least be up to date for the last cour stuff, even if it doesn't seem that interesting. Watching Goh and others try and find Mew and Mew just plays an epic prank on Goh by, uh, showing him teh origin of all life?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

poison/dark confuses me and all i know is that i can earthquake that thing and probably nothing else. loving drapion.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Treecko posted:

Black and White ruled it gets so much undeserved hate

Free Kyrem and give us the original dragon GF

BW is the best game in the franchise and I love it so much.

They should never loving do the original dragon, it's entirely against the point of the game!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Larryb posted:

I missed the stream, what does the DLC entail exactly?

you go to a little japanese region for summer vacation and fight some new zygardes. Then in winter you go to BlueBerry Academy

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

loving go catch raptor suicune NOW
https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1630221526850060289

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

same energy

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1634052707295141888

One of the rare times TPCi actually acknowledges Mezase Pokemon Master. And that remix is frankly mostly Mezase with some backing from the chorus and second verse of Gotta Catch 'Em All. I'm starting to really think they're doing a simuldub or simulsub with the new anime.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Team Rocket did break up at the end of today's episode, but i'm sure they'll get a happy ending in the last two. My hope is they just go back to alola with all the pokemon they got back from HQ and run the best dang donut food truck in the region :3:

I doubt we'll get Team Rocket analogues here. I'm honestly not sure what the format of the show even is, i thought it was paldea school stuff, but that fully staffed airship with the huge pokemon battle field as its wings sure looks like the main setting that travels from location to location. They only say that Liko is from Paldea (and Roy from Kanto) so who knows if the show actually is in Paldea at all.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Do Plusle and Minun fuse, or do we just get PlusPlusle and Minunun.

They fuse but also gain the gimmick of one of them getting dipped in ketchup or blueberry jam to have plusplusle and minunun powers

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Trying to catch up with the final cour of the anime before Ash leaves, but, man. Halfway through episode 3 it's just very awkward because the sendoff makes sense, do 10 episodes of the average pokemon episode, play the hits with some nostalgia bait stuff, but the problem is that there were over 700 episodes following that formula and i dropped out at 250 maybe and any time i tried getting back in i stopped at 3 episodes. Misty vs Ash trying to decide who gets the water type pokemon and then at the ten minute mark Team Rocket tries to steal it is just, so overdone even if all the individual bits were nice.

But that's mostly a me problem. What I'll say it's an actual problem is that they promoted this cour as "AIM TO BE A POKEMON MASTER" with Gary going "Ash, how close are you to being a pokemon master?" in the first trailer. The words pokemon master have not been said 9/11 episodes in. Gary is slated to show up in the last episode. This is very much a "the real treasure was the friends we made along the way, and Ash will always be traveling, forever and ever" ending, which isn't bad but folk thought it'd be more like eleven episodes that tie different stuff up neatly.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Episode 6 of aim to be a pokemon master is a pretty good "Pikachu and Meowth get split up from their groups and have to work together" episode.

Episode 7 is also really good. A Wailmer is stuck in a rock so the whole gang tries to help, eventually they need Team Rocket because their mecha magikarp thing is sure to have enough power to pull stuff. Team Rocket doesn't wanna tell them it's been manpowered this whole time.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 18, 2023

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

galagazombie posted:

So now that the anime is ending I'm curious. Were there any Pokemon who didn't get their own "Pokemon of the Week" episode? Even when the show went more SOL in gen 7 it still kinda had the formula of every week some Pokemon getting the spotlight. There's a thousand of the drat things one of them must have slipped through the cracks.

absolutely the porygon line. 2 and z have maybe, maybe cameos hidden in huge crowd shots at best. After that most of the Gen 8 pokedex since the anime was more about all regions at that point

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Insanely good pop, glad they kept that for the very end
https://twitter.com/morningmoonmeme/status/1639253742527676416

Was a really sweet ending, though obviously I need subs. But it amounts to Ash, Pikachu and Team Rocket realizing that they still want adventure and challenge, and so they'll keep traveling forever.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Nessa posted:

I was watching Journeys with my kid the other day and there was an episode where the girl had a sleepover at the scientist lady's house and discovered her obsession with Psyduck. She thought scientist lady must be in love with this guy in a photo with a Psyduck and manages to track him down. She's then shocked and disappointed to learn that she wasn't interested in the cute guy at all... just the Psyduck. Ash and Go are side characters in an episode that really feels like a completely different anime. Like, it just focused on how this young girl looked up to the smart scientist lady and wanted her to be happy.

I liked it. I like the slice of life style stuff. I hope the new series is more along these lines as well. You can just have interesting stories about people that live in the Pokemon world. It doesn't necessarily have to have bad guys and battles and follow a certain structure. That stuff is fine too, but it's nice to mix things up a bit.

I also like that there is a Magnetite named Francois. There aren't enough nicknamed Pokemon in the anime.

Yeah, journeys does an episode like that every 12ish, usually with Chloe, and those are my favorites. Down to earth slice of life but pokemon are there also is my jam. Early on there's an episode where she's upset everyone thinks she has to love pokemon and be a professor like her dad, eventually her mom talks to her about how finding what you like to do is what matters; she had wanted to be a comic artist as a kid, but her passion for art lead her to graphic design.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

First two episodes aired today. In the final weeks of the previous season, they had a pokemon from paldea show up in a minute long skit at the end, but for some odd reason they didn't credit Sprigatito but did every other pokemon. Turns out that's because Sprigatito is voiced by Jessie's VA.

After saying goodbye to the old cast, Pikachu and Jessie still stay in main roles lmao.

https://twitter.com/AnipokeFandom/status/1646829317513711618

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Beachcomber posted:

What's that Pokemon zipped into a costume at :30?

some sorta youtuber character we haven't met yet

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Watched the new pokemon anime. It's pretty good!

Liko is a very introspective, socially-awkward person. The very introduction to her is, well:

so that really sets the mood. She's in the most "thought out OC RP setting" possible with the Indigo Academy, a campus school where teachers interview students to give them a starter pokemon from any region and teach them stuff. She gets a Sprigatito who's hard to get along with since she just wants to go anywhere to sunbathe, so the friction of two characters who aren't very open but in different ways.

The first episode spends most of its time with her trying to understand Sprigatito at all and over the course of a few months they start getting along enough before the inciting incident. Then some hired goons wanna steal her necklace that, as posted, has the DLC pokemon. She gets some good reactions to the anime bullshit she's having to deal with.

The goons are fought off by a group of adults in a flying ship called the Rising Voltters or something. The main thing that sticks out to me is that it feels like at some point in pre-production, they were toying with the idea of having it be Ash, Brock and some of their companions as adults.

Friede is a careless but well intentioned action man who loves taking risks, helping people and pokemon battles with his partners, Charizard and Pikachu
Murdock is a more sensible man who loves cooking for everyone and has a rock type companion (Rockruff)
Molly is that "Punk Nurse Joy" you've probably seen and she's the first to criticize Friede's recklessness.
Orla is a mechanic we haven't seen her do much besides try her best to keep the ship running when they go into a storm because Friede tried to shakeoff hte goons.
They're a cool group, and it's not really a bad thing that they're new characters instead of the old cast as adults, it just stuck out to me how easily I could see an adult Ash Ketchum act exactly as Friede does. Friede's Pikachu is distinct from Ash's in that he's way more physical; the three moves we've seen so far are Thunder Punch, Double Team and Volt Tackle. It's cool seeing it throw hands with that fire/ghost megaman battle network pokemon.

Throughout the action bits, the focus stays on Liko's reactions and how she processes the situations, she keeps thinking to herself and that's pretty neat, I feel. She's willing to give herself up if it means saving the innocent pokemon in the ship, she keeps thinking to herself it'll be fine but Sprigatito pushes her to actually act on what she wants to do, ie, fight to protect everyone and not give up and all that good shonen jazz.

My main takeaway is that it's super neat, a very different vibe that focuses on how the pokemon world exists outside of the stuff covered in the games, which is always my favorite part of the anime. Stuff like the goons having Skarmories and a Corviknight to chase the heroes, but nobody whipping out a pokedex to try and advertise the 'mons, or in class the teacher showing everyone how to setup the pokedex feature in their rotom phones, including rebooting the phone. Basic tutorials about Pokemon being presented by the Nidothing youtuber (another "she's just like me fr fr" moment is that when she gets on the bus at the start, the two girls that were on the station start watching Nidothing's videos and she thinks about how she also likes that channel... but she can't think of how to bring it up naturally, so she just shouldn't talk). Though I'm curious about the school setting; besides that stuff with giving everyone their pokemon and setting up their pokedex, we don't actually see what they're supposed to be studying, and Liko's going to be with the Rising Volt Tacklers for at least a few episodes, so i don't really know when they'll come back to the school at all since she's on the run from the goons that want to datamine her necklace and figure she's a part of the secret.

My second takeaway is that TPCi is loving stupid. This would be doing so well with official subs! The spring anime season is fairly light compared to the last few. Three animes are the main ones, Demon Slayer, Gundam, and Oshi no Ko. Right now if you ask a western anime fan, the only forever animes left are One Piece and Boruto. Pokemon with a fresh start, an introspective female lead, and a more grounded tone would be doing so well in the anime space on social media. It's the perfect time to finally catch up with the localization industry, but I guess they put out those localized trailers of this season just so people can wait 4 months to see the dub (also, christ, the netflix model really is worse. At one point the dub was 2 months behind the japanese release and now it's this far behind instead)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

There's like a tiny handful of shows Netflix actually releases weekly and they do so much better. I can't understand how Netflix does it themselves, sees how much buzz Disney+ and its other competitors get on their shows with that release and still choose to mostly do clumps. It's not even full shows or seasons, just enough episodes to feel like a hassle to watch at once but not enough to be a satisfying story.

But still, I'm pretty sure TPCi licenses the shows per seasons, hence why Sun and Moon exclusively was on Disney XD when everything before was Cartoon Network, and Journeys went to Netflix. If the company that holds one of the biggest IPs in the world wanted to, they could've done simulsubs (if not full on simuldubs) on their own app or crunchyroll or any streaming service. But I guess when the next big thing like Ash winning his first league or the wold championships happens they'll just gladly not comment on it at all while CNN is running stories.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Official now, no name, but it's funny they got to pretend the new anime hasn't started yet

https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/1647948029805182976

https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/1647993562443788289

I don't care who's to blame, I'm gonna be so loving annoyed at TPCi tweeting out anime screencaps every other week while the only legal way to watch it in the US is to wait 4+ months. Thank god that Some-Stuff has been doing good subs for the past seven years.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

They've simuldubbed some of the web animations, but for subs I think the only official stuff was Horizons announcements.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Larryb posted:

I haven’t watched the dub in a while, do they still do that in the more recent series’?

Yes. They got the music composer for My Hero Academia, one of the guys in the height of his popularity with young boys, and the dub still kicks that music away for generic poo poo.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I love that 2DHD from that one Square studio just uses Unreal 4. This one guy can make approximations of that style with UE5 to do a little bit of pokemon
https://twitter.com/DottDev/status/1647768613569572866

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

wizard2 posted:

lol.

I wonder when the bigshot tech industry devs are going to retire "AAA" and give us some other $10 million dollar euphamism?

Microsoft tried to call their crystal dynamic budgety Perfect Dark remake a AAAA Game before the company they made for it collapsed and the project became a budgety game made by Crystal Dynamic

Flopsy posted:

Something along those lines in conjunction with Nintendo's tendency to slit the throats of any passion projects people make I think. Genuinely I hope they don't get sued for this.

I doubt it, it's just practicing modeling on Unreal5, it's not like a fangame or anything.

Also, it turns out that part of Sugimori's old style as we know it is just because of some lovely copy machine at NoA in the 90s overexposing the art
https://twitter.com/Lewchube/status/1648072834164432902

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 18, 2023

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

no, and good thing, because AAA games all suck poo poo insanely

Resident Evil 4 is the best game ever made, twice

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

AAA games only mostly suck poo poo insanely, you’re right

That's fair, but also this is the worst year for that take lol. RE4, Tears of the Kingdom, Final Fantasy 16, Spider-man 2, the Grandblue Fantasy action game, Star Wars Jedi Survivor, Street Fighter 6, maybe Diablo 4 people say it's good, Alan Wake 2, Armored Core 6, lots of super big games slated for this year.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Scarlet and Violet would be a lot better if they started you on the battle bus every time you booted teh game.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I'm mixed on the anime right now. Taking a cour for set up is nothing new to a show that's meant to last a year or three, but this feels particularly slow, specially for Pokemon. In Journeys and SM you got what the goal would be at the end of the first cour (Ash finishign a Kahuna challenge, seeing Leon beat Lance and wanting to beat him) and that's happening here where we'll see what the goal is once we meet Liko's mom. But five episodes in its been just introducing characters and that Liko's pendant has a mystery, whereas the previous two seasons had several standalone episodes in the first cour. Promotional stuff talk about how Liko and Roy's fates are intwined by seeing a special shiny Rayquaza, which is set to happen on episode 6. We'll get to Paldea (and meet Nemona) in a few weeks, but specifically not Liko's mom yet.

But all those nitpicks kinda fall short when this decompressed take means that whole singing sequence got to be over a minute long and super adorable :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Ignis posted:

my favorite male VAs (Friede's) as part of the cast

ah yes, Battle Beast from Yugioh Arc-V