Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Played through Scarlet with Weed Cat

Now for Violet with the Jojo Duck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The Scarlet Autumn and Violet Winter outfits are the best-looking options

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

Also apologies if this has been answered before but when do you get to fight the box legendary (I assume at the end of the Star arc if the past is any indication)?

They're part of the fourth storyline once the other three are complete

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

Also how does the auto battle function work for that matter?

Auto-battle works by facing a pokemon and pressing R to send your pokemon charging at them

Your pokemon can take damage during them depending on what it's facing, and type effectiveness is taken into account, which leads to some utterly bizarre instances of your pokemon losing to a hoppip that only knows Splash when actually battled, but since it's Grass/Flying, it can deal with water and grass pokemon surprisingly well (conversely, you can get the jump on higher-leveled pokemon without having to battle them for some nice exp the same way)

Your pokemon won't faint during AB, it'll wear itself out and come back to you

Be warned, if you press R while running at a pokemon, you'll slide before sending out your pokemon, which can lead to bumping into them and triggering a regular battle, and sometimes other pokemon will run into you and start a fight

Also, your pokemon will not attack Shiny pokemon during an Auto-Battle

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Countblanc posted:

where do you get evo stones (specifically thunder stones)

Tera raids tend to have them as prizes - see if there's any Electric dens on the map

Three badges unlocks them as items at Delibird stores, and there's spawns for them in Levincia by the sea, and atop a turbine in West Province's Area One

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Neo_Crimson posted:

I heard you can change a Pokemon's Tera-type? Is this true?

You need to gather 50 Tera shards of a specific type - you'll get 50 Normal shards if you go to the Treasure Eatery (the place where the swap occurs by talking to the chef) in Medali after beating the gym leader there, and 50 Rock shards by completing the Math academy course

They can also be picked up from beating Tera pokemon and on the ground in the crater

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Borsche69 posted:

although iirc some of that gets ruined since i think you're unable to catch something that's a higher level than you? is that true?

There's no penalty for catching high-level 'mons, they just aren't likely to obey you until you get enough badges (one badge starts at level 20 and then each subsequent one is +5 levels, with 8 unlocking full control)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

HootTheOwl posted:

The catch rate for Pokemon with a higher level Pokemon is much lower than if your active Pokemon is at a higher level then the wild one

...weird, I had no issue snagging a level 75 with a team of 40s

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I will never not be hosed up by Psyduck not being psychic type.

Got some good news for you this gen then...

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

wizard2 posted:

....define "try real hard"

ROFL Octopus posted:

The Tera Scyther in South Province Area 4 is always Tera Normal type

You can also get a free Normal Tera swap by going to the Treasure Eatery in Medali after beating the gym and talking to the chef about changing Tera types, and they'll give you 50 Normal Tera shards to try it out

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Vandar posted:

Terastallizing is going to be fine and fun in PVP where you can play mindgames and have to try and work around it, but in the singleplayer it just kind of sucks. It doesn't give the same dopamine rush as going Mega or Dynamax or even throwing out a Z-Move.

Oh I get a dumb hat, thanks, awesome. Shame you're going to make me run all the way back to the Pokemon center to recharge it, but thanks.

You can recharge the Tera Orb by interacting with Tera Dens and then backing out - a little sound effect and particle effect will kick in as the menu pops up

You also get LP for doing so, like getting watts in SwSh

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah I'm firmly in camp Game Good, Could be Better

Also did Gen 1&2 give some preference to the players pokemon going first in battles? Suddenly I'm having loads of other pokemon (even wilds) attack first, and I'm not sure if that's a mechanical change or if this Ralts is just slow as gently caress.

What's its nature? Could be running one that reduces Speed (Brave (raises Attack), Relaxed (raises Defense), Quiet (raises Special Attack) or Sassy (raises Special Defense)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Avalerion posted:

Does that saying even exist in japanese?

The weakness chart falls apart if you think about it too hard. Steel being weak to fire... when steel actually has a higher melting point than most other materials? Grass being weak to fire might seem like a no brainer... until you try to start a campfire from green wood. Why is rock weak to water?

Rock and Ground are weak to Water due to erosion wearing them away

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Eiba posted:

I always go with new pokemon, but this time I got to use a Mankey on a technicality. It's great. Mankey is one of my favorite pokemon that I've never gotten to use because it was always a version exclusive to the wrong game.

Annihilape's cry is pretty disturbing. I love it.

Houndstone's bone cracking cry scared the hell out of me the first time I met one in battle

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

hatty posted:

Arceus did the unforgivable and made me sick of seeing Drifloon. Bad game

Also why were the bronzor so aggressive

Who angered the mirrors

Are they jealous of the Reveal Glass and the genies or what

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The sports chanting really doesn't work when there's like...three people watching the fight

At the same time, turning the music off lets you hear the various sound effects, like the sarcastic "woooow" when a Pokemon faints, or the awkward clapping from the few NPCs watching the fight, and the tinkly Tera effects on Flying-types when they flap their wings

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Can't wait for the massive beta Scarlet/Violet leak in a few years with a stable build, more elements like being able to stealth-catch from PLA, and earlier Paradox Pokemon in the overworld :allears:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

MacheteZombie posted:

The glide not working similar to Arceus's was a bummer and lol the drop off of your path if you glide for too long.

It's really funny if you glide off the highest point on the map, because not only will you eventually lose all forward momentum, you'll eventually just go into a free-fall

Koraidon's ability to absorb terminal velocity forces is pretty drat impressive

Say what you like about the game, but its NPC design is fantastic
I want those gloves, dammit

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Flopsy posted:

On that note the Elite 4 battle was a big mix for me. The music during it was absolutely loving terrible

Seems like it bugged out for a lot of people and only played the intro file

Song's a bop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4DybEiz7NI

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Clive has style for miles.

god I love how absolutely see through that disguise is. come on, man, clavell

:hmmyes:
I mean, it bamboozled me and the game literally had to tell me who it really was, and it was more fun to play along and let him take on some responsibility as an adult in charge of education

Masked Royal and Kukui are different people too, ya know? :colbert:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I did like how Larry (hindsightedly) foreshadows his involvement in the E4 with his Staraptor, which you'd dismiss because he turns it pure Normal

I'm curious if the DLC will play around with adding fights where the opponents will Tera into something that's better defensively/offensively instead of into their type, or at least have several potential Tera types to pull from like how Battle Tower-esque opponents can have a pool of potential teams to pull from

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Dienes posted:

In other news, I don't know what I expected but herding giant olives wasn't it.

I didn't know using your bike was an option until my second playthrough, but it greatly speeds things up

I also wasn't expecting it to make all those noises, which contributed to it taking far longer than it needed to

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Kirios posted:

Sounds like it'll go on your permanent record.

Every trainer battle now starts with the opponent going "Oh wow, aren't you that person that only got four questions on the final right? Boy am I glad II never went to the academy if this is the education's results."

And then you send out a very angry bike that punches them in the face

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Even just the camera getting out of bounds shouldn't be too hard to stop, depending on how their engine works. (The very quick-and-dirty way, as they clearly have physics tools with the Olive Rolling, is to just make the camera a physical object with a collider and rigidbody so it bops into the ground/wall and stops).

It sorta already is though, and I wonder if the fact it clips into the ground and walls during battles is due to it not being (as) restricted during battles so it can be used to show off cinematic angles for attacks, since there's the "rotate camera during battle" aspect, but then I've had the camera reset to the traditional angle with dramatic attack zooms after a pokemon breaks out of a poke ball

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Machai posted:

Do you get one terrastalization for the entire E4 or can you do it once per fight?

Once per

Same for the tournament

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I vastly preferred SwSh's climactic boss fight from a spectacle standpoint, since the big drat heroes moment in SV was even more painfully scripted (plus you can't do stupid goofy setup builds to one-shot the final boss or set it up so Hop's sheep gets the killing blow)

SV's character writing is leaps and bounds better though

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Thank you friend for the Very Important Gif. It should even be added to the OP it's so Important.

:hmmyes:
Should be the thread icon, really

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

What's the best place to go zone out while hatching eggs? I've been running around Mesagoza, but having to dodge pedestrians is kind of annoying.

Also if anyone needs a sprigatito, charcadet, or twenty of each, let me know.

The desert's wide open with not too many spawns

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Diet Poison posted:

Still silly that you can't ride a regular Cyclizar at any point in the game.

Yet another reason we should be able to join Team Star

:sigh:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

BrainDance posted:

Reminds me of when I did this and just sat there holding a direction in SuMo

The irony being that there's an enclosed paddock juuust large enough for tauros to spin around in just to the bottom-right they intended for that exact purpose, and in view of the day-care lady, who'd cross her arms when an egg appeared

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Flopsy posted:

I want to build team of bipedal cats just to piss off the entire community as a whole.

Incineroar, Meowscarada, Purrloin, Meowth, Alolan/Galarian Meowth, Perrserker, (Galarian) Sneasel, Sneasler, Espurr, Meowstic, Trubbish, Garbodor...

Plenty of options to pick from

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Blaziken386 posted:

started violet playthrough so i can get various version exclusives

help what do i name my weedcat

Erik if it's a male
Christine if it's a female

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

man there's a real good game buried in here, isn't there

Buried under piss-poor optimization, yeah

I wonder if the DLC will continue to add stability or if it'll be poorly-optimized basegame with better-performing DLC areas

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I stumbled my way into the Dark base first and had an absolutely miserable time, so I thought Mela would be easier since she was on the "recommended" path

Then it turns out she's even stronger

10/10 trolling trailers tricking you into the wrong path (Which is a very Dark-type thing to do; are we sure ol' Dark & Moody didn't cobble those trailers together?)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

I never tried but can you actually have a rap battle with Ryme when asked or is it a “but thou must” situation that leads to the usual gym match anyway?

She thinks you're joking, sadly and you continue to the match as normal

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

IcePhoenix posted:

how do you change natures?

Mints appear in Chansey Supply after six badges for 20k a pop

They can also rarely be found as sparkling (non-ball) items on the ground and as Raid Rewards

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

HootTheOwl posted:

Did SwSh have sleep animations for battle?
Pokemon leaving their eyes open during sleep stands out to me this gen and I thought we were past it and/especially because during picnics pokemon can just doze off and close their eyes.

What they need to do is incorporate the overworld sleep animation into the battles

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

On another note is STC training actually a thing in this game (as in, can you do anything by going back to the Team Star bases after finishing that story)? And if so, how does it work?

Just go there and find out for yourself

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Shiny777 posted:

I remember the tutorial for the first one warning me that Team Star would heal their mons if I wasn't fast enough. I kept expecting it to happen and slow/undo my progress at some point in the later bases, but it never did.

They also mention that you'd have to defeat Mela's grunts, not pokemon, in order to draw her out since they were all busy keeping her calm, so I wonder if there were going to be more mechanics in the Star Bases but were scrapped for all using the same Star Barrage gimmick

Also, Star Bosses sending out their car to run you over overrides any stat-ups you would've gotten at the end of the turn; used Aqua Step with a Moxie Quaquaval to take out Mela's torkoal and I didn't get the Speed or Attack boost before she sent out Revaroom

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hammerite posted:

The little short ones they made were good. There was one with Scraggy and Mimikyu, and there was one that set up the intro sequence to Red/Blue with a nidorino... were there others?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNSPvUnU4wF7B5uqYUT94GQ2Nv4aQqGE9

There's also Bidoof's Big Stand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTidwW3iLHk