Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I keep starting 4 on my 3DS and getting put off by the weird warped camera that makes me feel like my blood sugar is low. Do the other versions have this

Also DQ ftw obviously. I played 8 first (3ds) and it was enjoyable but didn't really click with me as anything special, then played 11 on Switch and it's one of the greatest JRPGs of all time. Builders is great too.

Actually my first was Dragon Warrior Monsters on Game Boy which was completely out of my territory as a kid and I had no idea what I was doing lol, might go back and play it sometime

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Nov 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

God I can't wait for DQ12... had a look at the release schedule of the mainline games there and they've all come out at most 5 years apart so this will be the longest we've ever waited between a real DQ. that means it must be the best one yet

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I love dragon quest but maybe not enough to play an offline port of a Wii MMO

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

tmfc posted:

lmao getting arrested by the japanese police for truancy because you skipped school to play dq3 ftw

wasn't it because of this that they agreed to never release Dragon Quest on weekdays again or something lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

In Training posted:

I'm sad that this is it, this is the last new DQ I'll experience until XII comes out in 5 years. unless theres a way to play an English patched version of X on a private server

Apparently there's a big update coming to DQ10 Offline coming in June so we might finally get a translation or even a fan effort. Don't see why not

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

XI is stunning + is one of the best JRPGs ever made

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nice uhhh charging cable

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Wearing damp dust accumulating socks at all times ftw

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yeah it's called Scotland :D

Dammit I was excited to say that

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Leadthumb posted:

I also knew a guy that went barefoot at the office, but he was 4'10" and the lead programming director and talked exactly like scrooge mcduck and everyone liked him so much that they just let him do it. When he retired the office threw him a party where he told the whole office he was probably going to get bored and kill himself so don't bother trying to contact him lmao

I wondered how Schmorky was doing these days

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Act 3 is weird because it’s by far the shortest in terms of actually plot except you basically have to double your level to successfully complete it so most of it is just you learning how to metal hunt

I feel like it had the most side content and optional stuff though. I never really felt the need to grind, I just did it because I'm sick in the head and should be euthanised

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dragon Quest :)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

does dragon warrior monsters count, because i'm playing that

when i first played it as a child i didn't know it was a spinoff of a game series, so i was surprised that all the regular monsters like dragons and golems and zombies and stuff could eventually be bred into weird "???" horned dudes in robes

That game absolutely confused the gently caress out of me as a kid lol, the only RPGs I'd played were Quest 64 and Pokemon and I had no idea what Dragon Warrior/Quest was, so I just had to grapple with this weird rat frenzy version of Pokemon

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

mbt posted:

yeah it rules. the remake of 2 on the 3ds is incredible

Oh poo poo I didn't know about this. Someone pick it for game club please

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

bees x1000 posted:

Picked 8 back up, going to try and beat it before Zeldamania. I'm guessing I'm around the halfway point? The second Dhoulmagus fight was pretty tough without any full party heals. Am I supposed to know where Jessica went? I'm wandering around town and don't have any clues.
My man here doesn't have an instinctive nose for hot gingers w/ fat tits lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

bees x1000 posted:

I thought I was done but now I have to get seven more things to beat the bad blob

Christ another JIZM member

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Good soup! posted:

Yeah I'm hoping it does really well, I'd love to see other games in the series get the same treatment

Hell even do games outside of DQ. I'd say Chrono Trigger but I feel like the square enix (bizarrely) doesn't care much for it. Just thinking back to that one exec responded to fans asking for a new game and he said something like "if they want more, they should buy more!!!", like bro what the gently caress are you talking about, your fuckin games sold millions across multiple platforms lol, did the dream team insult you back in the day or what

I don't want a new Chrono game exactly but it's very bizarre that SE doesn't seem to have ever even considered it. Even for a big Japanese publisher their decision making process is completely inscrutable

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

In Training posted:

It's the GOAT and manages that feeling for like 120 hours.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

With one exception: if you turn on too many Draconian Quests, you can only turn all of them off, not just some.

The Draconian Quest implementation is all very weird and questionable all around

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lobster Harmonica posted:

It's like they relegated the standard fare harder difficulty options to a sub-menu but wanted to fill it out more so they added toggles for goofy romhack dialogue replacement and "sometimes you'll randomly have a panic attack" etc

That's all weird enough but I more mean things like not being able to turn them on and off at will, only letting you turn on a certain amount of them freely etc. Wtf this is not a game that otherwise imposes arbitrary stupid poo poo on players, just let me do what I want

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Act 3 pwns but it is pretty weird that it basically erases all the character development of Act 2 lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

galumphing lummox posted:

"Hey, do you want to do Act 2 again, but lamer?"

It's just different.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

I like act 3 because I want to save all my friends.

It's the perfect DB style get so powerful you can go back in time and fix everything story, and hell, you've earned it

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fungah! posted:

they should port the ds versions of 4-6 and the 3ds version of 7 amd 8 to swinch. ive got every ff game.on here up to 12 let me get every dragon quest on here too

Yes but they also need to turn off the weird fisheye lens warping camera that they decided to put in the DS ones for some reason

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

tony quidtana posted:

In Dragon Quest 3 every item shop in the overworld sells chimera wings despite the fact that the chimera enemies can only be fought the dark world after you jump into that hole that opens up only after you defeat Baramos. How were they procuring all those chimera wings without chimeras?

They lower big fishing rods down small sinkholes, mines, chasms etc that catch careless passing chimeras and pull their wings up. Simple.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

extremebuff posted:

love the trick the game pulls when you solve the first few quests and open up that cave, treasure chest in your face w the world map in it, and you see youve just completed a baby tutorial island surrounded by continents

This is one of the coolest things a game can do imo, like Elden Ring's map borders just growing comedically larger and larger every time you explore or have a warp teaser visit to somewhere distant

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It's here boys. Get ready for cozy Xmas gaming

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Good soup! posted:

Close.........the overworld theme is one of the weaker of the DQ games

But it's such a tiny problem that it probably doesn't count so yeah gently caress it it's perfect

The new music generally isn't great, whenever I found myself really enjoying or noticing a track it turned out to be from a previous game. The 140 year old war crime lover needs to be put to pasture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

he died lol. but apparently he'd already done the music for 12 so not free just yet

I feel like I can still hear his voice if I listen closely to the wind, whispering "Nanking was asking for it"