Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it’s because the netherlands is the largest province of holland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Mebh posted:

It always irked me how everyone calls the Netherlands, Holland. Even in Spain if you say the correct term: Los Paises Bajo (literally the low country) people would look at you blankly for a second then go "Oh... Holanda?"

Hah I tried to say the full version to someone, but mangled it and she got confused that I was claiming to be from the Basque country like her

E:

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 27, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TACD posted:

This is good though, isn't it? Like how everybody understands it's impolite to say _the_ Ukraine now, I thought we were all trying to move towards pronouncing foreign countries / regions according to the preferences of people that live there?

E: I'm not sure how Türkiye is pronounced now, is it like Turkey-ey? (thanks to my laptop for autocorrecting the spelling for me :c00l: )

I think it's realistically a bit impossible to have people be able to pronounce all other places like the people who live there do, because it necessitates being able to fluently shift your pronunciation to include sounds that probably do not exist in your native language. So what you're mostly going to achieve is being wrong, but differently so.

And so specifically in this instance I think it is primarily just a social signifier, you pronounce it the fashionable way to show your membership of the ingroup of world leaders who are very concerned about saying words the right way but definitely won't be taking any of those refugees if we can avoid it thank you very much. And the media of course can focus entirely on the performative symbols and everyone can get very self righteously angry about them, while policy continues to gently caress people over.

Like I said, it's clap for the nhs. Clapping for the nhs is not a bad thing, it might even be a good thing, but its function in society has very little to do with whether it is good or bad, but how the performance can be used as a signifier of group membership, and as a superficial focus of attention rather than on things that affect people's material lives.

I might know how to pronounce a few places in the native fashion but if I went around doing it nobody in the UK would have a loving clue what I was saying, so what I use is primarily determined by who I'm talking to, not whether or not saying the place the wrong way has the same effect as saying whether or not you believe in fairies.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 27, 2023

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jel Shaker posted:

it’s because the netherlands is the largest province of holland

Yes, it'd be like saying England when you mean the UK or GB. Don't. Do say it with a really stupid Steve McLaren sequence fake Dutch accent: de Nederlandsh

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

...and, presumably, after that it goes to the UK gov, and if they're convinced, talks with the EU. It's pretty much a basic good faith check before it can be done, also I'd imagine you can't do it if you're not in Stormont, working. Would this be enough of a turd-to-throw-at-fans to make the DUP happy?

The Loyalist history with good-faith mechanisms is less than optimal. And eitherway, Junior has already come out and said he's not supporting it:

https://twitter.com/nicholaswatt/status/1630268128033685504?s=20

Which is at least enjoyable to me because Jamie Bryson was on Twitter earlier trying to sell it as owning the taigs, and now he's trying to course-correct.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TACD posted:

This is good though, isn't it? Like how everybody understands it's impolite to say _the_ Ukraine now, I thought we were all trying to move towards pronouncing foreign countries / regions according to the preferences of people that live there?

E: I'm not sure how Türkiye is pronounced now, is it like Turkey-ey? (thanks to my laptop for autocorrecting the spelling for me :c00l: )

If you want to hear Türkiye then watch Al Jazeera tomorrow, top of any hour. They'll have a story from there about the recovery of the region from the earthquake & they specifically pronounce it that way

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I think it's realistically a bit impossible to have people be able to pronounce all other places like the people who live there do, because it necessitates being able to fluently shift your pronunciation to include sounds that probably do not exist in your native language. So what you're mostly going to achieve is being wrong, but differently so.

And so specifically in this instance I think it is primarily just a social signifier, you pronounce it the fashionable way to show your membership of the ingroup
Yeah, there's places where there's definitely the wrong name, and it has been the wrong name for a while, so anyone still saying Bombay or Keenya is probably an ancient imperialist, and anybody under a certain age saying Rhodesia or The Transvaal is immediately suspect unless they're an historian (and then it's still a coin flip), but you can go way too far the other way and be guy-who-overpronounces-things and that makes you look a bit of a tool, especially if you're overpronouncing without having the right phonemes.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Tucky

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also I can't even pronounce bath the way people in bath would pronounce it without sounding like I am making fun of them, so it seems especially farcical as someone who lives in the uk

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, there's places where there's definitely the wrong name, and it has been the wrong name for a while, so anyone still saying Bombay or Keenya is probably an ancient imperialist, and anybody under a certain age saying Rhodesia or The Transvaal is immediately suspect unless they're an historian (and then it's still a coin flip), but you can go way too far the other way and be guy-who-overpronounces-things and that makes you look a bit of a tool, especially if you're overpronouncing without having the right phonemes.

Yeah I mean nobody in English pronounces München right, or spells it right, it's just Munich. Ditto Milano, or for that matter Moskva. Some place names get translated, Kiev is just convention in English. This is because it was dominated by the Russians for centuries rather than an endorsement of the Russian invasion.

All though if Brits want to go that way and start talking about the War Crimes court in 's‑Gravenhage where we need to send Tony Blair then I'm all for it. Way the Dutch pronounce the g in that/Den Haag is fun, very phlegmy.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
My home counties dad unironically pronounces Newcastle with a geordie accent, and it never doesn't sound silly.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

The Ukraine came about because Ukraïna translated as "borderland" so the definite article was applied similar to Nederlanden translating as "lowlands" so in English it's the Netherlands. But yeah, preferences of the people who live there should be respected.

On that note and closer to home, can the British media stop using "the Republic", "the Republic of Ireland" or "the ROI" when referring to their closest neighbour? The country is called Ireland. That's its name. You'll never see it referred to as anything else on any official Irish documentation (except Éire).

It's better than Southern Ireland. That's the one that always makes my blood boil.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The Land Of Ire (because they're angry)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Dies Eire Land

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like there was a brief time in the 90's where a load of places referred it to as Eire and then it sort of stopped?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Microplastics posted:

The Land Of Ire (because they're angry)

When I was small, "ire" meant nappy rash. So, we have a strong claim to being the Land of Piss

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like there was a brief time in the 90's where a load of places referred it to as Eire and then it sort of stopped?
iirc that suffered from serious guy-who-overpronounces-things without having the right phonemes problems until Ireland said "please stop, Republic of Ireland (the football team (the country)) is better than this."

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

When I was small, "ire" meant nappy rash. So, we have a strong claim to being the Land of Piss

That is quite clearly England you valour stealer

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Erin's Isle is a quite nice name for a place.

There should be an equivalent for GB, then it would match.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
do you not want to be part of a 32 county republic

notakesiebacksieeees

aaaah! :hehe:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i hope rishi goes straight to constitutional reform so the DUP can't block the formation of an assembly :allears:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

The old Irish currency the punt had Eire stamped on all its coins.

Nilbop posted:

The Loyalist history with good-faith mechanisms is less than optimal. And eitherway, Junior has already come out and said he's not supporting it:

https://twitter.com/nicholaswatt/status/1630268128033685504?s=20

Which is at least enjoyable to me because Jamie Bryson was on Twitter earlier trying to sell it as owning the taigs, and now he's trying to course-correct.

There's no clause defining banning catholics, so the DUP will never agree to it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

crispix posted:

idk if this is an in joke or w/e but you can watch it back on channel 5 if you demand evidence to back up my shitposts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P9LX54Yaus

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
oh i see

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

keep punching joe posted:

What was the supermarket who changed their own brand Chicken Kievs to Chicken Kyiv? Very respectful.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Late-night quiet hour food shopping doubletake

Glad to see ALDI doing its bit for the war effort :hmmyes:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Guavanaut posted:

iirc that suffered from serious guy-who-overpronounces-things without having the right phonemes problems until Ireland said "please stop, Republic of Ireland (the football team (the country)) is better than this."

Football fans will be familiar with the overpronunciation phenomenon from all the tedious triangle-wankers insisting on saying Bartttthhhhhelona about 15 years ago

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
look at those tomatoes and salad? How we used to live

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

NotJustANumber99 posted:

look at those tomatoes and salad? How we used to live

lol the in-tiny-writing Serving Suggestion has never been more apt

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

OwlFancier posted:

I don’t know if it was really confined to the 90s, but from what I understand there was a bit of a shift within the Irish political establishment regarding Éire as a name in English. Initially both Éire and Ireland were the official names of the country, and since early Irish politicians were keen to stake out an Irish identity on the world stage, many preferred Éire be used.

But then enter, us bastards. The British government of course refused to ever use the term “Ireland” to refer to that country since of course we still claimed a quarter of the island. Also we can’t be hosed using diacritics so we’re just going to call the country Eire, which is a different word in Irish, but who gives a gently caress. Over time some in the Irish political establishment came to see Eire as used by the British as basically a calculated insult, which really took the charm from the name in Irish, so some came to regard using the Irish name in English as wrong. Enter “The Republic of Ireland” a compromise term which was designed to get the British government to stop being total fucks about the whole thing and use a term the Irish could live with.

Except, of course that nobody in Ireland really liked “Republic of Ireland” because it was tainted with the stink of having been crafted to appease the British government. So right up through the 90s there was this tension of whether it was better to call the country Éire or The Republic of Ireland cause if you just called it Ireland British officials would pitch a fit.

After the Good Friday Agreement we chilled the gently caress out and just accepted “Ireland” as the name of the country and since that was what everyone else wanted to call the country all along Éire basically vanished overnight except in Irish language usage.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do say "the 90's" because I wasn't conscious before that but yeah, it does feel like it stopped after that and I assumed it had something to do with the GFA.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
According to John Crace
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/feb/27/brexit-done-northern-ireland-protocol-sunak

quote:

What was new was the Stormont brake. This would allow Northern Ireland to veto any EU laws it didn’t like. Except it would probably never happen. Here was the brilliance! First of all, the DUP would have to reconstitute the Stormont assembly for the Stormont brake to be viable. Then the DUP would have to find another five assembly members from other parties who were as mad as they were.

Apparently this is part of the NI deal. If so, it does seem rather good & congrats to whoever actually thought it up.

(I mean in the context of getting the wretched thing through and hopefully with the Brexit Benefit of completely & utterly sidelining the vile DePfeffel.)

(Disclaimer: I haven't read the protocol details because getting up early on a Monday to go in to work for a full day on 3 hours sleep does me in completely. And also I would far rather we had never had the brexit in the first place & this is just fixing a tiny part of what they broke in the first place).

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/footiestatto/status/1630116697813274624?s=19

Incredible scenes

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Apparently his excuse is that he auctioned it off and then somebody gifted it back to him

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

I didn't think they'd be so eager to climb into the Giant Trebuchet tbh

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Drinkslinger posted:

Apparently his excuse is that he auctioned it off and then somebody gifted it back to him

a gift which he failed to declare

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Drinkslinger posted:

And that tory donor got something back in return no doubt.
Some PPE or no bid contract

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

forkboy84 posted:

Yes, it'd be like saying England when you mean the UK or GB. Don't. Do say it with a really stupid Steve McLaren sequence fake Dutch accent: de Nederlandsh

We all do it though over here. England and Holland sitting in a tree...

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

I really, really, really hate this fucker.

I always expect Tories to be useless pieces of poo poo, that's par for the course.

But his clout chasing, and clear absolute love for himself, turns my stomach in a unique way. Don't know how someone hasn't killed him already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

A better campaign promise than any drat thing Keith has ever said