Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Water is just alcohol free vodka.

There is no need to play to stereotypes, Suoma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

We really are a miserable island that deserves to fall beneath the brine.

There's so much to digest in this video that I can't even really start. The misunderstanding, the entitlement, the economic illiteracy. Just horrible people.

When the revolution comes they will be made comfortable against their will and forced to boil piss until their passing.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I wonder if this is because they're antibiotic resistant? Apparently the rise of resistant S. aureus kills 50k Americans a year. We're better with handing out antibiotics here but some resistants will pop up.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah, I guess without being able to tell immediately you will just assume it's a normal cold or whatever. Wonder if we ... okay I googled it and they're like 7 quid a test. Geez.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

*pulling out the monkey paw shaped defib*

Scotgoons, what does this "women what wheesht" phrase mean. I know it's a ScoTERF phrase but I didn't read enough of The Broons But Horrible to understand the meaning.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ah so the term means "be silenced" effectively?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Kinda funny that I remembered it as "women what wheesht" rather than "women won't wheesht" because of the equally vacuous "women who mensturate"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I think its more that there are a lot of kids with less previous exposure to strep because they were living in lockdown when they would normally be picking up less serious versions in playschool or nursery, so their immune system isn't coping. Strep A normally kills a couple of kids a year but it's hitting harder this year despite there not being any evidence of mutation.

Yeah, that makes the most sense given the distribution. loving horrible to think how much we rely on constantly getting mildly sick to not get majorly sick.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

With the pus meaning mouth I'm assuming it's a b/p hardening from bus likely from French bouche, or whatever proto-word that became modern bouche.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Thing is I don't necessarily mind if people ask where I'm from but generally it's because it's someone else with more diverse heritage than "white British" curious about a fellow funny tinge haver.

I guess if a snobby white woman was asking it while waving calipers I'd feel differently about it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah, definitely asking "where are you from" getting an English town and going "yeah no where are you really from, Negroid" with the italics part silent but audible, that's a different ball game to "ah nice, and what's your family heritage?" and if they aren't happy to say then shutting the gently caress up.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That's true, normally I only ask "where are you from" to someone with an obviously non-local accent. I guess to someone as inbred as the queen's advisor a normal London accent does sound non-local.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Also her surname is literally a demonym for a peoples who come from a belt in north-western Africa.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Answers Me posted:

https://twitter.com/joinaunionpls/status/1598967242946883585?s=46&t=Den5X5WNAmOH50iGBNRp7w

I hope British journalists - and 99% of the whole media class for that matter - are never allowed to forget what they did.

we regret to inform you that the goldfish has forgotten

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Albinator posted:

I mentioned this at the end of the last thread, but that obviously non-local-accent-having person may have been living there for decades. Once you've been there that long, having it as the first question you get when you meet someone new is tedious. I do recommend finding something better.

First question certainly not. If I don't even know you're name I'm not gonna narrow my eyes and hiss-whisper "Geordie?"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I didn't even realise we lost because I'm been ignoring this world cup because it's played on the blood of South Asians.

gently caress this cup, and whoever wins it might deserve it but also has the shame of taking home a cup full of slave tears.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's always weird to remember Gabriel Pogrund writes for the Sunday Times because he's a legit journo and not an anti-left psycho.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

kingturnip posted:

I guess if your interest is in investigate journalism, your options in the UK are fairly limited these days.
The Sunday Times does at least like to have big old exposés fairly often, so if you have some choice in what you work on, you could theoretically steer clear of too much political muck.

Yeah, and it's basically Sunday Times or Financial Times for this kind of thing.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

The Guardian still does investigative journalism at more or less the same level as the Times, and is slightly less overt in its right-wing bullshit most of the time (if only because Times opinion columns can get truly, insanely awful on a level that even the Guardian's TERF brigade have difficulty reaching).

It does but it also puts out "BOMBSHELL: Brexit has raised the price of cotton socks 4%, WHAT DID BORIS KNOW?" style of headlines that make me roll my eyes so hard the optic nerve frays.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gritty Cinderella reboot where the prince burns every woman's feet until he identifies his beloved

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Also I finally got covid :confuoot:

So goongrats to the super-avoiders who managed to outdo me

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

RE Jeremy Vine, TrashFuture have a bonus episode where they actually sit down and talk with him and he is pretty open that his show has some of the dumbest, most arrogant shitheads in our country call in, and he's well aware of it. He also thinks it's useful to have a mainstream outlet for stupid dogshit opinions because it's both a national thermometer and a national pressure release for insane people.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

WhatEvil posted:

Any sign at all that he realises that airing that dogshit also spreads and normalises it?

Well he specifically said how during lockdown he wasn't allowed to air specific views on covid and the vaccine and that Facebook/etc. groups took his silence as proof that it was a conspiracy, leading to an overall greater uptick in social media believing that it being the one thing he wasn't allowed to countenance proved it was Actually Real.

When I first listened to the episode I thought he was full of poo poo but over time I've started to come around to concept that we might actually be a brain diseased society of rat people.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Payndz posted:

Kissinger's malevolent sorcery is so strong, it even removed his picture from the Trilateral Commission's website. Clearly there can only be one picture of him, and it's in his attic, looking very young and handsome in a reverse Dorian Grey.

What was Carla in front of that was so damning they had to do that lovely mask.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

FnF posted:

Boiler heating chat :

Could someone elaborate more on this? 'cause, yeah, this seems super-counterintuitive (unless the boiler is loads more efficient at ~13C ambient than ~7C ambient, which seems crazy to me :confused: )

I have a ~7 year old Worcester combi-boiler, if that's relevant.

For others who answered this question partially, isn't Testro's point more that letting the house drop to say -2 and then trying to get it back up to 15 every morning is more power inefficient than burning a steady stream of heat to get it there once and then maintain that temperature?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The guy behind the sausage roll songs is a Tory IIRC, or at least proudly voted for Johnson

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

But that's the problem, some people don't realise the cost efficiency to be made there - they see "heating being on" -> "I'm bleeding out the arse to pay bills" and end up freezing themselves.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's annoying because when I first saw the name I thought of the kawaii metal band LadyBaby who will perhaps get you weird stares for liking

But at least aren't a bunch of charity song grifters.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I guess they did grow up to be less cringy

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The beardy guy split into the two redheads.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I tried using a snake to exclude draughts but whenever I wasn't paying attention he'd swap himself out for a cardboard box and go invade Shadow Moses.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Just have all the sickies quad up in beds like Charlie Bucket's grandparents.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I thought these fuzzy bastards always tried to find the hottest part of the house, why's this one trying to become a catsicle?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Fucker's using a first name for a surname, no letter he writes has merit.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

my old ones were pretty fun, getting slaughtered on the company dime

helped that I really liked my old colleagues mind you

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hope you can move on to greener pastures.

Or at least to snow that isn't yellow.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah we had a contingent who you could head down the local after work and there'd nearly always be someone there any day of the week. Hell sometimes the hardest question we'd face on a given day was which one to head to. The one next door, the one round the corner one way or the one round the corner the other

then one of us started dating the manager at the other one round the corner and it basically became our fiefdom

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I demand more traditional music!

*scenes of matt hancock dancing to bangra*

not like this

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

kecske posted:

what could be more traditionally british than a balding fat man banging a drum

two playing out of time because they're both determined they're right and the other one is loving it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Just buy a giant sack of silica gel and shove it next to the important stuff.