Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

In a just world he would be dragged from his house and made to beg for forgiveness to every nurse in the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Everybody wants to know your personal details these days. I bought two short shovels at Tool Station and they wanted to know my name and address in case I wanted to "return the spades." That's why I have the receipt. All I need is some company sending me advertisements for shovels.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Toolstation and Screwfix aren't really like normal shops. Very online and accounty. You can almost feel them squirm with discomfort if you try and buy something without having an account.

Salisbury Snape posted:

Enjoy the monthly Toolstation and screwfix 'deals and offers' letters through the post that you can't seem to unsubscribe from

Oh I told them they didn't need that information and to just hand me my receipt, politely I wasn't an arsehole. To be fair the guy serving me just handed over the receipt with no fuss.

Mebh posted:

Its about long term re-engagement. Most businesses are about managing a subscription count and ins vs out. Returning users from a large inactive pool is one of the cheapest ways to generate growth.

One of the big problems is when you do something new and want to tell your customers "hey, bob's donkey semen emporium has a new Conservative only vip lane, discounts for returning customers! Refer a friend!"

How do you best tell everyone? A user account has an incredibly short lifetime, a mobile number on average is a few years. Email is ~10 years. Real addresses are super valuable and you can get a reliable number of returns even today.

So naturally you can pay a harvesting company to get a load of contacts. Same if you need money. You can sell yours!

Yay ca

I barely wish to engage with people in the first place re-engagement is very much a no thank you.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

That reminds me of something else that's been baffling me lately. It seems mad how much people gamble. If I'm in the queue at the kiosk in a supermarket more often than not there's someone in front of me just spending like, 15 quid or more on scratchcards and lottery tickets. And it's just crazy. Surely if you spend that much you must see that you keep losing it. I get that gambling addiction is a thing but that's a significant amount of money. loving garbage society that has people that desperate to get out of it that it has them spending money that would actually make a difference on a hopeless bid to get out of it.

Makes me think of all those scumbag labour MPs in bed with the gambling lobbyists. Not enough rope in the world to right the misery they bring.

A lot of people I work with gamble. There's one guy I work with semi-regularly who will put on six or seven bets in a ten hour shift, every shift. He bets so much that it put his mortgage up when he went to get one. One of the lads in my gang always bets on the footie but instead of putting a bet on a match he always does an accumulator as he wants to win more than £1,000 or he says it's not worth it. It's crazy how much they pump into gambling.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/MichaelTakeMP/status/1602985452943835136

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

smellmycheese posted:

Vine is one of the dimmest, most credulous people in broadcast media, and that’s saying something.

https://twitter.com/MichaelTakeMP/status/1586844713373646854

We do not have their best and brightest.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Cold one in work today

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jel Shaker posted:

can see your willy out on the reflection

My junk had safely retreated into my abdomen for warmth.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I'm glad I don't have to do work parties, would be very annoyed to have to hang out with work people without being paid for it.

Not having a works do is about the only thing I miss from my last job. I used to quite like having a natter with people I worked with but didn't speak to a lot because i always found out a bit more about them.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

^^ A friend of mine lost her grandmother today.

OwlFancier posted:

Eh, I guess I have to spend all day being personable so by the time that is done I am not generally in the mood to do it any more unless I really like the person I'm doing it with.

E: plus the general trend of "learning more about my co workers" has been "unsolicited opinions on how nigel farage has the right idea and did you hear about the family of asians trying to buy my house too cheap"

I hope you don't think my post was meant as a slight against you, if you don't fancy a Christmas do I don't see why you should go we all have our own levels of public interaction. Usually things I find out are less about politics and more about people's recipes or some talent for something they've never talked about or even some interesting event from their personal history.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

Don't get sick or injured this christmas, comrades

https://twitter.com/SusiHarris/status/1601173805627412480

EDIT this was on top of another poster in the UK cspam thread who personally saw someone keel over and die in the A&E waiting room

12 years they've had to fix this. They really don't care do they.

Apparently Stanford University has created a list of words that they suggest should be replaced because they are harmful. It's a Daily Hate article so I won't link but here's the list:

quote:

Original: walk-in

Swap: drop-in, open office

Reason: 'Ableist language that trivializes the experiences of people living with disabilities'

Original: grandfather

Swap: legacy

Reason: 'This term has its roots in the "grandfather clause" adopted by Southern states to deny voting rights to Blacks'

Original: guru

Swap: expert, subject matter expert (SME), primary, leader, teacher, guide

Reason: 'In the Buddhist and Hindu traditions, the word is a sign of respect. Using it casually negates its original value'

Original: brave

Swap: none/do not use

Reason: 'This term perpetuates the stereotype of the "noble courageous savage," equating the Indigenous male as being less than a man'

Original: man hours

Swap: person hours, effort hours, labor time

Reason: 'This term reinforces male-dominated language'

Original: American

Swap: US Citizen

Reason: 'This term often refers to people from the United States only, thereby insinuating that the US is the most important country in the Americas (which is actually made up of 42 countries)'

Original: whitespace

Swap: empty space

Reason: 'Assigns value connotations based on color (white = good), an act which is subconsciously racialized'

Original: prostitute

Swap: person who engages in sex work

Reason: 'Using person-first language helps to not define people by just one of their characteristics'

Original: kill(ing) two birds with one stone

Swap: accomplish(ing) two things at once

Reason: 'This expression normalizes violence against animals'

Original: trigger warning

Swap: content note

Reason: 'The phrase can cause stress about what's to follow. Additionally, one can never know what may or may not trigger a particular person'

Of course the comments on the article and twitter are all about it being 1984 or ultra Marxist but I think most of the reasons are decent enough even if I don't agree with all of them.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kokoro Wish posted:

You're speaking as if this isn't exactly what they were aiming for.

I suppose I had a naive hope that they wouldn't be so blatant about it.

Mega Comrade posted:

This has been happening a lot in tech. Sometimes its good changes, sometimes its changes that are a bit silly. The biggest problem is they are almost always USA centric with zero thought to the rest of the tech world that also uses English.

It is quite Amero-centric for obvious reasons and some of it is bollocks, but stuff like U.S. citizen v American seems reasonable in part though when you get someone saying "Well I'm Canadian and he's United States Citizanian" that would sound too strange.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Nenonen posted:

We could just call the country Usastan and the people Usastanese, it's not like Pakistan is an 'actual' name for a place or people. Or name it Springfield.

Call it Yankeeland and the people Yanks.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Are there any protocols around COVID now or is it "Economy's dyin' Cloud so get out there and spend/work!"?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Only Kindness posted:

No, there are no covid restrictions, nor any need to isolate or whatever when coming into the UK. No free tests. You can get a vaccine/booster on the NHS, that's about it.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths

We only lost 210000 people, so get back to work and stop talking britane down, slacker. It's broken, Nigel said so.

Thanks I've had three jabs maybe I should look into getting another one. I feel fine mostly just a bit of a sore throat and a bit fatigued. My missus seems to have the other thing that's going round and she's feeling worse. She's done a test and it has come back negative. I'm a bit worried about the tests because they've been locked in a drew for over a year, on the packet it said they should be good till 2023 so I'm hoping they'll be fine.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Tarnop posted:

I had covid recently and tested positive on year-old+ lateral flow tests

Good to know they're still usable, thanks.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I've found the test packs I've had for quite a lot of months, albeit they're still in date, have only a tiny amount of the liquid in them and after mixing the swab in with the liquid, I squeeze whatever I can out of the squeezy thing and then more or less have to 'paint' the spot where the drop goes with the cotton bud end of the swab for there to be enough for it to start climbing up the test slot.

Btw as you're in Wales IIRC, you can still get free packs off the website, just basically answer the questions that you need them for whatever reason. I got a fresh box about 6 weeks ago, and my sister's had umpteen new boxes just doing that.

I might have a look into that, the missus took a test and it came back negative so I've been relegated to the back room and have just gone round the house using anti bacterial (I know it's not bacteria but if I recall COVID is pretty fragile outside the body so it should work.) spray on things I think I've touched.

I'm going to take another test later to make sure it's not a false positive and then report it if need be.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah any Normal Saline* should work fine; saline nose spray, neutral contact lens solution, needle exchange supplies, aquarium store, lab supply, maybe even deionized water from wilkos or the hardware store but I'd take that with *puts on enormous dad joke christmas jumper* a pinch of salt.

*from Normal Island, anything else is just flat brine

Banger, I have lots of that.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

There are no rules for covid like there are no rules for any other infectious disease, with people left to judge their own response based on their own conditions.

Such as "I don't work somewhere that will pay more than statuary sick pay, so I'm gonna work no matter how poo poo I'm feeling because I need to stay warm".

Yes, I have no sick pay so I don't work I don't get paid plus over Christmas I can earn a lot of money so I don't want to miss out.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just found a bunch of disposable gloves so I'll wear them when I'm out and about with a mask, should be alright.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Am I remembering right that the virus can last on some surfaces for up to 3 days?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Nothingtoseehere posted:

No. There was a single study out of Hong Kong Feb 2020 saying they could find virus RNA on surfaces up to 3 days afterwards, but virus RNA =! Infectious virus. Labs could never get a sample that could infect a petri dish from a surface, let alone actual people. Back when people actually did case tracing, there was basically no cases firmly linked to an infected surface rather than breathing in a infectious persons air. Covid has always been a airborne disease, not a surface contact one - all the hand washing and cleanimg surfaces promoted in the early pandemic by the WHO did nothing against covid (it was very useful against the common cold however)

So priority of wearing a mask and staying out of peoples way to help prevent the spread?

Thanks for that, it's why I ask questions here I always know someone has looked into it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Yea - if you want to minimise your chance infecting others, wear a mask which fits firmly to your face, and minimise how much time you spend in indoor places even masked. If you can, make sure windows are open or in places with constant airflow.

But also, covid is endemic in society, so even if you are cautious then people will probably be infected whatever you do. It's a good thing that we have a functional healthcare system to catch serious cases...

Great, thanks. I'm isolating in my back room at the moment so the missus doesn't come into contact with me and I work outdoors but will wear a mask at work. Mind you half the people at work believe either COVID is just a common cold or a conspiracy to control us.

learnincurve posted:

I've said this before on SA and I'll ask again, please don't post glinner.

glinner didn't get a visit from the police because he was mean to trans women, he was investigated because he ran a targeted real life hate campaign against my friend Amy. He had her beaten up and put in hospital, had bricks thrown through her window and had her followed and photographed. Then he put those pictures up on his twitter. Her "crime" was living a street away from his ex-wife's shop. They couldn't prove he had instigated the attacks, so did him for the doxxing. During the second lockdown she was so scared about what he would do while her boyfriend was away she came to live with me for the duration.

loving hell, I'm sorry for your friend. Glinner is a loving menace. How did he manage to do that and they not prove he was instigating the attacks? It's always the worst people that get away with it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

learnincurve posted:

They think he was either winding a group of young lads up in the pub, or paying them, but he left no evidence other than these pictures that had been texted to him which was the only thing they could nail him on. We think he was paying them because there have been no incidents since he lost twitter/the divorce.

He's a vile poo poo.

Barry Foster posted:

Bessantj if you're going to be in public get an unvalved n95/ffp2 that has headstraps (NOT ear loops, they're real bad)

Will do, I'm pretty sure we have some in the works van.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I read it as £1 billion and thought it wasn't that bad then reread it and er, oof.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Have to say I had a very relaxed if long day in work today then came home to an empty house instead of a nice cooked dinner like I was expecting! But my missus came home later then expected as dinner up my brother's house was going lovely and everyone was having more fun than expected so I can't complain.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Only Kindness posted:

If I'm Prime Minister and a food bank opens up in my country, that's me firing my cabinet, resigning and calling a GE, cos that's me failed.

"Failed" as in the phrase "failed state".

You wouldn't have one go at fixing your mistake?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just been caught in a YouTube Shorts rabbit hole for the last 2 hours. Only started the first vid because it was one of those Alex Jones 40k edits and gently caress me it was a diet of Joe Rogan, Peterson, that Andrew Tate fella and some assorted people with opinions on women. If you listen to these people the only thing men have to offer in a relationship is money and the only thing women have is their virginity. If there are young men out there that agree with these people then really they're calling their own mothers and/or sisters whores.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

I keep getting these ones that are usually like some woman radio host claiming to offer 'relationship advice' but under the thin veneer of that it's all reactionary garbage, like how you have to fill some narrow range of roles or all women will leave you or feminists are untrustworthy or whatever.

I'm not even sure who this poo poo is for, I'm guessing men whose bullshit detectors kick in automatically when they see some divorced domestic violence enthusiast or conspiracy theory gym bro alpha claiming to know 'what women want' but still fall for the pretty Fox news anchor propagating utter shite?

There must be a market for it because there are so many of them, maybe the more 'intellectual' incel.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Gambrinus posted:

I've never watched a YouTube short in my life, but I keep getting recommended one about a pretty blonde lass that plays for West Ham (can't remember her name). I have no interest in West Ham and aren't signed into YouTube on the TV so no idea where they get that from.

Perhaps it's a popular video so as you're not logged in it's just giving you that.

Guavanaut posted:

I get big divorced dads vibes, like men who are less about some wannabe Chad saying "you got to get swole and cocky and buy these supplements to get pussy" and more a pretty lady reassuring them "college educated women end 300% of relationships because feminism teaches them to hate the family", but I can see crossover with the more 'intellectual' incel and, far worse, with young men who have been told to listen to women when it comes to dating advice but don't yet have a working terrible advice filter (although it's probably a bit boring for them).

That makes sense hoovering up those MRAs and the MGTOW people.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

Littering isn't an issue you can just solve with more bins.

Go to any carpark with a McDonald's drive through nearby. You only have to wait maybe 10 minutes before you see someone dump their eaten order out their window because stepping out of the parked car and taking the 10 steps to the bin is just too much to ask.

I hate littering. I was walking through town once and watched as a teen/young adult took a burger wrapping out of his McDonald's bag and just dropped it on the floor, meters from a bin. I felt like grabbing the wrapper and stuffing it in his mouth. What made it worse is that he was walking with his mother or at least an older adult.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I wonder what British politics would look like if John Smith hadn't died.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

elbkaida posted:

There's lots of fun stuff there. A lot of London areas are 50-60% British identity but <5% English Identity. Then there's places in Wales identifying more English. Also more people picked Irish ethnicity then identify Irish, not sure what that means?

About 20% of the population of Wales is English so I can see there being some big % of people that ID as English in some areas.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I just remember at the time him being portrayed as a good thing by the working class people who still had a working memory of the union battles of the 70s and early 80s. Granted I wasn't old enough to have a proper understanding of politics (1994, so I would have been 15ish) but he seemed to have the same positivity around him as Corbyn did. Good vibes that lad.

Yeah I was about the same age when he died and didn't have an understanding of just how much Blair would change the party.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Apraxin posted:

"we're doing this out of respect and compassion for trans people", two days after badenoch appoints this loving sun columnist and gb news presenter as a 'policy fellow advising the government on matters of race and gender'
https://twitter.com/MercyMuroki/status/1463099580048936965

Oh yeah we haven't heard a peep out of Rowling and Stock.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Payndz posted:

Stupid wokey Hitler!

Also I think we have found it: the hottest of hot takes.

https://twitter.com/sullydish/status/1615389832678604812?s=46&t=-z3jOCNMLDZ0xIO4GJLDJA

I think if someone said this to me I would punch them in the face harder than I've punched anyone or anything in my life.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

A few pages back but saw this in the replies and loving hell

https://twitter.com/canarynorwich/status/1616020075873443841

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I had a look at the thread and there are people agreeing with him. There are people alive TODAY that took part in those struggles. Living history is being rewritten, these people's hatred have made them insane.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Here have an interesting video on Britain's best game show with one of the worst hosts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-7Wev90lw4

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Drinkslinger posted:

Jon Holmes, eh? I seem to remember him getting fired from Virgin Radio in like 2001 for getting a nine-year-old girl to say the phrase "soapy tit wank" live on air

Sounds like a winner

quote:

He then moved to XFM London "for approximately an hour" before being fired for going to the toilet on air in fellow presenter Dermot O'Leary's desk drawer. Subsequently, the late-night Jon Holmes show on Virgin Radio ran from 2001 to 2002, but Holmes was fired after several controversial stunts. Virgin was fined a record £75,000 for Holmes's feature "Swearing Radio Hangman for the Under-12s", in which he persuaded a nine-year-old girl to spell out and then repeat the phrase "soapy tit wank". Unrepentant, Holmes's own website boasts: "Jon still holds the record for 'largest fine ever for taste and decency offences in British broadcasting'. Sadly he didn’t get a certificate or anything."

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Tough on the causes of crime? Alright Starmer going full on to eliminate poverty! That's what will happen right? I mean it's a great way to 'PREVENT!' so he has to doesn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Apraxin posted:

BBC back to the exact same Both Sides presentation of gay people as they had in 2005, loving great
https://twitter.com/BethFisherSport/status/1622933017848123392

It's the same things over and over again.