Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mind_Taker posted:

I think he’s going to score a lot regardless if they sell off or not. Yeah they need to keep some guys around like Strome and maybe like Oshie for leadership or whatever but I don’t really think Ovie relies on guys like Mantha, Kuznetsov, and Carlson as much as we might think.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/video/ovechkins-backstrom-star-hilarious-life-insurance-commercial/

But who will pass Ovie the puck !

It will be forever funny (and a bit sad yes) that Backstrom made it less than a year from that commercial before going on long term injure reserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mike_V posted:

the blues suck and i'm going to die laugh-crying as the team becomes the Sharks for the next 4-6 years

The bad stuff: Armstrong signed everyone to long term contracts except loving Petro.

The optimist side: Armstrong also has shown no attachment to players, so he’ll almost def trade Tarasenko and ROR at the deadline.

That does open up cap space for over the summer (assuming ROR doesn’t come back after being traded, which I doubt he would). That said, how easy is it to replace a top line scoring winger and a #1 / #2 center (plus they badly badly badly need a top pair defenseman like….Petro).

Yeah Blues might be hosed into mediocrity for a bit.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Starsfan posted:

I remember when Karlsson was originally traded out of Ottawa the Stars were considered front runners at one point but the asking price in the deal (which was stated to include Miro Heiskanen) was a bit too rich in the end...

Well Erik Karlsson is exactly the kind of player the Stars need right now lol.. there is a quite noticeable John Klingberg sized hole on the blueline at the moment, and sending out Jani Hakanpaa with Esa Lindell on the 2nd pairing to hack the puck into the ice is not going nearly so well as one might have hoped at the start of the season. And those are the Stars good puck moving defensemen outside of Heiskanen!

I dunno.. feels like something has to give soon, because that's really the one and only weakness this Stars team has and it's felt very evident in recent games.

I have good news on a good defenseman that the Ducks will have available to trade at the deadline.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

Torts hooked us with a second goalie pull so Ovi could get two empty netters.

loving ruled.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

I get what you're driving at but that's a big oversell. Ovechkin was so dangerous that he warped the game hard in his team's favor just by being on the ice. He is a bit overrated in a historical context because his value is 95% on offense, but purely on offense he is right there with Gretzky and Lemieux as the most offensively valuable players ever, despite not being on their level as a passer/distributor (though he is underrated in that area). Crosby was the better player because Crosby was also an elite defensive forward, but Toews, Kane, Stamkos? lol come on.

As for "most accomplished", well, the Capitals have won more games than any team in the NHL during Ovechkin's career, despite having zero (0) long term players besides Ovechkin who are likely to ever be in the Hall of Fame.

Tbf Toews is one of the top NHL players of all time according to the NHL. He’s obviously right there.

Also, you think Backstrom makes the all ? You gotta think he makes it, and they put his exhibit in the hallway on the way Ovie so people can pass Backstrom on the way to Ovie.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThinkTank posted:

Do whatever it takes to get Ovi to #1. I want to see an increasingly drunk and despondent Gretzky trotted out on television in the weeks and months leading up to his record being broken. We might actually see his soul die on live television.

Gretzky lives in st Louis , any remnants of a soul left years ago.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fermun posted:

He's on pace for a 51 goal season at age 37 and has 3 more years after this season is over on his contract? He absolutely could beat Wayne, wow. I always thought it might be a possibility but it's still incredible.

It’s still really annoying that there have been 2 lockouts during Ovie’s prime (plus covid shortened seasons) , so literally he would already be there if not for them.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

clean ayers act posted:

was bored at one point last night and watched a bit of a PHF game on espn+ (apparently it was an outdoor game??)

Boy, that league has a way to go. the camera work was like a high school hockey game. constantly off the puck and slow to transition, announcers fumbling names and audio from the ice that sounded like it was from mars. i cant imagine anyone getting into the product with that production value. the WNBA, for all its flaws, actually feels competently produced when you watch it

Not just the mentioned lack of support from the NHL, but women’s hockey in North America has basically been split in half with the split of PHF and PWHPA. Last I checked, the PHF has the only actual league, but most of the top tier players are boycotting the league. Pretty much all or most of team USA and Canada do not participate in the PHF , which honestly means there’s not gonna be enough talent for the PHF right there, plus you def lose allure that the best players that people actually know like Hillary Knight aren’t there.

This is why you have Canada vs USA okaying like, 5-7 games a year, because while yeah, it’s a fantastic rivalry, everything is in purgatory and they don’t have anything else to do.

IMO it’s a loving mess and huge detriment to women’s ice hockey. Optimally, they should probably just dissolve the PHF , their past decisions and leadership just have it too toxic for the other side to cave and join. Dissolve it, have the NHL come in and lay down better funding , rules etc.

Unfortunately Bettman / the NHL really doesn’t give a gently caress unless it makes a profit, and that’s a huge catch 22 because women’s hockey probably can’t take large steps forward without said investment. Until then, the NHL will just give their token generic bullshit we support women’s hockey statements and use the mess as an excuse not to fund anyone.

And it’s all even more stupid because if you grow women’s hockey, you just might get a lot more women watching hockey, but lol at the NHL thinking ahead.

Edit: to answer the original comment better on watching women’s hockey, yeah it needs better funding and it’s def way slower when you don’t have the best of the best. I highly recommend watching one of the rivalry series games, Canada vs US is just so much faster to watch.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 17, 2022

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Last I checked the WNBA still isn't financially self sustaining without the money the NBA's pumping into it, but the NBA unlike the NHL understands this concept.

That sounds right , and honestly I would agree with anyone arguing that women’s hockey just might not be able to be profitable. But yeah, NHL is idiotic because it would indirectly really grow their fan base.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

clean ayers act posted:

oh for sure, i am a big fan of watching the womens tourney in the olympics and worlds when i can actually get access to it. Definitely didn't know all that backstory about the PHF, thanks for that

Yeah, and the PHF has a bunch of history of loving things up, they cut pay a few years back, so it’s a lot of distrust. Put it this way, PHF had to change their entire name to try and make it less toxic.

pseudodragon posted:

I can't even blame the NHL for not wanting to get involved at this stage. There was no way they were going to step in the middle of the old CWHL/NWHL international slapfight and at the league level they probably don't want to come in and basically be "you guys don't know what you're doing so let big brother take care of it".

There needs to be some sort of united front from Canada/USA Hockey, the PWHA and PHA with some sort of plan first, even if it's the realization that the current situation sucks rear end and they need to blow everything up and start from scratch, but it needs to come from the women's orgs.

I mean, good point for sure , but if the NHL participated from day 1 it’s possible it’s not the poo poo show it currently is.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Re the 84 game season, I thought I remembered that as a kid and apparently they did it in the 90s for a couple years wth 2 games at neutral sites.

Flyers already play most of their games this season in the neutral zone , although that’s if they’re lucky and having a good game.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

VOTE1 posted:

If you buy a second hand car, which is visibly on fire in the yard, the service book says it’s been set on fire a bunch of times and the salesman tells you not to buy it because it’s on fire.. you probably can’t get a refund once you find out it runs a bit hot.

That said it’s almost impressive that Miller hasn’t (even pretended to) offer to donate proceeds to charity (or I dunno the victim) and is just happy banking it all - maybe he’s realised he’s beyond any PR return.

It’s extremely depressing to say this, but why would he ? He literally has faced no consequences so far, and it seems like his parents condone his behavior. It’s loving ridiculous , but he’s just a really, really bad person. Who just got rewarded 6 figures despite being a horrible person. Depressing.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Matt Murray lol

Or Carter Hart I guess.

Jordan Binngton was right there. So close you could have thrown a water bottle at him.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hand Knit posted:

Yeah I think Hart was supposed to be a The Guy level prospect but then it turned out he was on the Flyers.

Hart is not having quite Vezina level season , but he’s been really really good this year. Def #1 goalie level , and probably enough to be top 3 for team Canada (which yeah, they don’t have a lot of options).

The fact that he is only the Flyers , and is doomed to spend his career being shelled by pucks for 50 games a year is a tragedy though.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Kucherov has even easier zone starts than McDavid and worse possession metrics

if you are building a team and not picking McDavid first, you have failed

I donno, Chuck Fletcher would tell you that building a team is pretty hard and not that simple.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Dumo was a great player for the Pens for a long time and I hate talking poo poo about him, but he's really gotta go :sigh: then we can go back to talking poo poo about K****** K****** as the gods intended.

Kaapo Kakko ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Tbf, it would be both funny and cool if the Sabres made it in. Goaltending alone I don’t think it could happen, but hey.