Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Ginette Reno posted:

Wonder how long the Pens will wait before Ltiring Letang

Usually meddling ownership is the worst thing in the world but I really hope in this case FSG steps in and refuses to let Burke trade away All The Draft Picks including the Bedard lottery ticket in a desperate effort to save his job. Without Letang, it's over. The time to detonate and start the rebuilding has come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

If they take Dumoulin and Letang is LTIR'd forever they'd still need to retain a bit to make him fit. Throw in Kapanen and we have plenty of room then.

They'd have to give San Jose like three 1sts but if they could pull a Kucherov and get Letang back for the playoffs, it could be just crazy enough to work.

e: Dumo has a limited NTC amd and San Jose is probably on his blacklist though

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

That'll buy him another 4 months of drifting through shifts like a restless ghost

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If a team like the Caps wants to sell, they should be selling now not at the deadline if an acceptable return is to be had, to maximize their Bedard lottery tickets.

But they are not going to sell, because of Ovechkin. Just like the Penguins aren't going to sell as long as Crosby is there. Both teams will be buyers this year.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I do!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

tbh Bruce is almost 70 and may well be past it, both tactically and motivationally. But no, no he is definitely not The Problem in Vancouver.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Dirty Burger posted:

And also that they have Unfinished Business

Yeah they've been leaving a lot unfinished this year

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Binnington has some very serious anger management issues and probably needs therapy. Dude is out of control a lot.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

They've been making tweaks to goalie equipment rules to make them smaller every year or two for the past decade. The rising shot percentage is mostly due to that and slightly increased enforcement of interference/crosschecking (but probably more due to the extra power plays than the rule enforcement itself)

Enjoy it while it lasts, inevitably they will get lax on enforcing those rules and scoring will plummet again

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I wonder what it's like for McDavid every November when he realizes, nope, not going to win the Cup this year either.

He's creeping up on being old enough that it will begin to dawn on him that he is never going to win the Cup.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

McDavid will finally get his Cup as a deadline pickup in 2030 as the Penguins lift their third Stanley Cup of the Bedard Era

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I get what you're driving at but that's a big oversell. Ovechkin was so dangerous that he warped the game hard in his team's favor just by being on the ice. He is a bit overrated in a historical context because his value is 95% on offense, but purely on offense he is right there with Gretzky and Lemieux as the most offensively valuable players ever, despite not being on their level as a passer/distributor (though he is underrated in that area). Crosby was the better player because Crosby was also an elite defensive forward, but Toews, Kane, Stamkos? lol come on.

As for "most accomplished", well, the Capitals have won more games than any team in the NHL during Ovechkin's career, despite having zero (0) long term players besides Ovechkin who are likely to ever be in the Hall of Fame.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Guentzel did two lovely things (slashing Anderson when it was clear the puck was frozen, then slashing Skinner) but Skinner obviously also went way overboard. Kind of surprising coming from a guy who really doesn’t fight or get many penalties at all.

Yeah it was weird seeing Skinner give a poo poo, if only for a few seconds

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Spelling Mitsake posted:

What happened with Skinner anyway? He seemed to completely collapse as soon as the Sabres resigned him, but now he looks to be back in his old form. Why was he so bad for a couple years?

Yeah to restate what BB said more pithily, the answers are "he stopped giving a poo poo" and "much better linemates" respectively.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Letang loves hockey.

And he hates everyone and everything else.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Mind_Taker posted:

I just looked it up on Natural Stat Trick:

Over the past 3 seasons Washington outscores the opposition 16-3 when they have their goalie pulled and Ovechkin is on the ice.

When Ovechkin is off the ice, they are only outscoring the opposition 21-13.

Ovechkin's GF% when he's on the ice in EN situations is better than any team's GF% in the same situation during that 3 year span. But yeah let's keep him on the bench and have Nic Dowd and Garnet Hathaway missing empty nets instead.

So you're saying the best pure goal scorer ever is really good at scoring goals in this particular man advantage situation? Sounds suspect imo.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

DancingMachine posted:

Some Kraken twitter guy speculates a Tolvanen-Wright-Sprong all-offense 4th line when Wright returns.

Yeah that definitely sounds like the kind of thing Dave Hakstol would do

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Chytil is a good enough player but if replacing him is your biggest offseason problem you're in pretty good shape.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

kill me now posted:

No one is betting on the ducks to win outside of someone hoping for a long shot.

I am, in fact, betting on the Ducks to win, because Maple Leafs gonna Maple Leafs baybee

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's only a matter of time before all teams in all NA sports are in the playoffs every year and they do ladders. Playoffs = $$$.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

8 divisions of 4 teams, the 1st place teams all automatically go to the playoffs, intradivisional 4th vs. 3rd, winner vs. 2nd ladders for the other 8 teams. That's where we're gonna end up

Ginette Reno posted:

Petry to IR:

Bit of a blow. He's been very reliable this year.

They'll be fine, I mean how important is it to have right defensemen really?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Hey remember when CAS wanted Laviolette fired and the Caps to trade away everything not nailed down, way back like 2 weeks ago

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

On the other hand, a career of conserving energy for the sole purpose of socking dingers is doubtless a major cause in the durability and longevity that will make him the #1 goalscorer ever.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

imo the Sens have decent talent and just need a competent coach.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

DancingMachine posted:

Wait so you're allowed to just ram the guy with the puck coming down the ice? Why doesn't the defense just do that on every play?

It's extremely difficult to hit the guy square on and pretty much requires him to not be paying attention, usually you'll whiff which takes you completely out of the play and also can get you injured. Plus it's hard to line him up without it being charging.

Reaves can try it because hitting/cheapshotting/trying to injure dudes is his entire job and taking himself out of the play doesn't matter since he does nothing useful hockeywise anyway. But 95% of players will just infuriate their coach if they go for the big open ice hit and miss. It's actually one of the most obvious differences between hockey now and hockey 20+ years ago, watch any game from the late 90s and there are dudes flying around trying for big open ice hits and usually missing all the time.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 15, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

No it's fine when Ryan Reaves does it because it's Part Of His Game. Now I finally understand why it's actually cool and good when Tom Wilson routinely tries to kill people on the ice, sure any other guy should be suspended for months but for him it's OK since attempted murder is Part Of His Game.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Seriously, we always wonder what the hell the DOPS is thinking. That is exactly and unironically what they and everyone else in hockey believes and why Tom Wilson and Ryan Reaves are genuinely heroes to them, brave knights errant, the last Real Men in hockey. It was the victimized player's coach that said that poo poo about "nah it's cool, that's just part of his game, our guy should have kept his head up".

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If you're talking about a player who can't really play but is on the ice for the sole purpose of trying to hurt people, I think Reaves is the last full time punchman. There are a few others that bounce up from the minors a few times a year for Rivalry Games or whatever bullshit. Otherwise it's guys like Wilson and Scheifle and Trouba, etc., who regularly take runs but are in the lineup because they can play.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I keep telling you all, Tom Wilson is 100.0% going to be head of DOPS after he retires

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Golden Man posted:

That hit fuckin rocked... blew that dudes rear end up drat...

Hi George

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Who had December 15 in the pool?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I assume it basically means healthy scratch, i.e. still counts against the cap

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Calling it now, Ruff will be fired with the Devils in 6th place in late January

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

rex has been over it in fine detail but Hakstol's system is practically designed to make his goalies look bad and feel bad. If you take the models at their word then he's got nearly a decade now of good defensive teams always being let down by their lovely goaltenders.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You know what the NHL needs, even more back-to-backs for players to shuffle through like zombies. So entertaining! DUMP THAT PUCK! (stomp stomp stomp) DUMP THAT PUCK!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Anyone should be happy to get 10:1 against the Penguins making the playoffs, much less loving 50:1. 98% that's just lunacy.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

I think Vegas is pretty on-target with them. 75% to make the playoffs feels right with 6 good teams in the Metro and 3 in the Atlantic.

Yeah that's about where I'd put them, around 70-75%. I bet no way in hell would Dom actually lay 9-to-1 with his own money, much less anything close to the 49-to-1 he so confidently claims.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

eXXon posted:

Why are there so many loving hockey players named Cale or Kale, I've never met a single C/Kale in my life are they all prairie farm boys? Is it something in the soil they can only grow them west of the Great Lakes?

There are, uh, three Cales and one Kale that have ever played in the NHL, one of them 15 years ago?

Jamwad Hilder posted:

yea it's really noticeable lately. he struggles to speak sometimes. i think he's almost 70 so maybe he'll retire soon.

I just listened to the Bruins/Knights broadcast and was wondering if he had a sore throat or something, it is very noticeable. He also messed up the names of Knights players several times.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I kinda feel what you're saying, but if you think Hakstol and Maurice and Torts are running the same system as Cooper and Sullivan, I don't even know how to begin to respond to that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

clean ayers act posted:

was bored at one point last night and watched a bit of a PHF game on espn+ (apparently it was an outdoor game??)

Boy, that league has a way to go. the camera work was like a high school hockey game. constantly off the puck and slow to transition, announcers fumbling names and audio from the ice that sounded like it was from mars. i cant imagine anyone getting into the product with that production value. the WNBA, for all its flaws, actually feels competently produced when you watch it

That's because the NBA actively backs the WNBA way more than the NHL does the PHF.