Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

rex rabidorum vires posted:

No one wants another page(s) worth of Rex talking about the Kraken and Dave Hakstol.

You could probably get away with just quoting the last time you did it. They haven't really changed their zonal play or breakouts at all. It's just super loose most of the time and there really isn't competition in the Pacific at all. They're finishing better than last year, but the o-zone is still reliant on breaking fast and hoping the D can't get set up. Cycle game is still pretty middling a lot of the time, but a little better than last year. They still have trouble with teams who play a good structured game though, and that's Hakstol hockey going back to NoDak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Misanthrope posted:

I would prefer Wayne Rooney

Yeah, but will Chris Rooney be there too?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Retain half and send him home to Minnesota and watch the goals pour in. Then they can be all in for Bedard.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Drunk Canuck posted:

Toronto has a population greater than other provinces so of course no one is going to want to listen about the Jets loving 3rd line scoring struggles when only 4 people would even read that article.

Want less Leafs coverage, start growing your fanbases via babies.

You babies.

Those babies will just grow up and move to Toronto though.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DOOMocrat posted:

https://twitter.com/grodysattva/status/1599535253256896516

at least I got this one for the folder

hell of a point imo

MAF still trying poo poo.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

kill me now posted:

Can we talk about how Zach Parise has been a wonderful addition to the Islanders over the past few years. An absolute god drat bargain at a league minimum salary.

No.

Just think how you’d feel if he was getting paid 7m AAV instead. I’m still mostly happy with how that went. I just wish Lou had traded for him instead. Even retaining 50-60% would have been great (for MN).

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Iodised QQ posted:

It's nights like this where the Rangers trading Ryan Reaves makes me sad, because there was absolutely a non zero chance that Reaves would fight Jordan binnington at some point in this game

Now he has 4 opportunities left to fight Binnington instead. I kind of doubt he would, he seems to pick of guys more his size and that's just easy picking.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Koth posted:

Does the Avs regular season even matter?

Only if they somehow miss the playoffs. I don’t see it happening as they get healthy bodies back over the rest of the season.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

The Dirty Burger posted:

In Seattle’s 24th game, which was his 8th. Send this kid down already

He just came back from his max of five games in the AHL for conditioning.

He looked better in the first last night, but then the whole team just started getting stifled by the Canadiens playing defense. I was confused too, but they had good gap control and stood them up in the neutral zone which is kryptonite to the Kraken stretch game.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Diet Crack posted:

I think the sarcasm didn't parse in text on this occasion. Point being that who knows what they will call when people go into the crease, it seems potluck sometimes.

These two things are not alike because of where the puck is when contact occurs. Bastian was not playing the puck when contact occurred, Crosby was attempting and succeeding in playing it when contact occurred. This is a pretty big difference, but the people on the TV and radio can't seem to ever figure it out. It's not kid hockey where you can't score while touching the crease and I'm pretty sure it falls into rule 69.7 under contact for a loose puck.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

pseudodragon posted:

It's not just the NHL too, 99 is de facto retired in all of organized hockey because who the hell is giving a kid a 99 jersey so no one should have any sort of attachment to the number so really retiring it is a PR move that affects 0 people. On the other hand, pretty much every youth team probably has an 8 on it.

That's because most youth orgs start at 1 and count up so they aren't duplicating numbers in the lower age groups. There are a ton of 87 and 97 out there too once they're picking their own numbers.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chad Sexington posted:

I have no dog in this fight, but Shesty 100% did the unnecessary glove flourish I would do playing goalie in street hockey.

It's okay for a goal scorer to celebrate, but not the goalie when making a cool looking save. Double standards for celebrations of course.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I didn't say anything about Guentzel, but no he didn't do anything that deserves a suspension, and you can't go backwards and give him an in game penalty (and like you said he got a penalty during all of that).

Skinner went after him and it ended with Skinner trying to cave Guentzel's face in with his stick. Its clearly a suspension.

As to the two above videos, one is with Chara on the Bruins so what like 4 years ago? The other is during the bubble. Neither is relevant to this season. (both should be suspensions).

The big difference is that Skinner started it and well after the whistle with a clear intent to injure while the puck was not in play. That wasn’t some exchange of cross checks like the Gallagher/Chara one or something that was during play like the other one. They’re all cross checks, but you can see how each one is fairly different in context of what’s happening.

As to how long suspensions are? That’s voodoo and down to whether George has taken a poo poo yet that day I swear. I’d hope they have a chart for it, but why they wouldn’t share the progression with anyone doesn’t make sense to me. Make it clear to the players/coaches/fans what the suspension will be and for what reasons and no one can complain when it gets laid out.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

clean ayers act posted:

surely if letang wanted to he could LTIR retire , its crazy to me that players keep wanting to play through this stuff.
hes got 3 cups for christsake

Maybe he just likes playing hockey.

I can’t really imagine what goes through a mind with a decision like this.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Those other guys (except Kane I guess) all being out there primarily to defend the 6-on-5 while Ovechkin is just there to steal another goal from a teammate is probably a factor too.

It’s not really stealing a goal if that’s the purpose. Ovi and Kane are out there to kill the game off with that extra goal scored. Score and empty net with 2min left and you’re almost certainly winning the game. That can mess with how they attack the zone too, so not as worthless as everyone likes to say.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

BOOOOO

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

.Spec posted:

I don't know anything about the dude cause I never see preds games but I'm still surprised Tolvanen fell all the way for the Kraken to pick him up. They put Kuhlman on waivers which means he'll end up on the Firebirds but I'm still not quite sure where they fit another W in. Donato's spot maybe? Or they sit Sprong in a "sniper who hasn't quite panned out" swap?

I'm pretty sure they only resigned Sprong because they couldn't find anyone else they wanted for that spot on the 4th line. So this kind of makes sense to me. I can't wait for Wright to get back from the world juniors so he can get scratched for Tolvanen as well.

Francis is a drat idiot.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Not only was that amazing during broadcast, it was even more fun to once again watch the Wild beat the Oilers. It’s been around 17 years straight of dominating Edmonton, and it’s even better with the current lineup. That makes 8 of 9 wins now, starting with the seven game win streak.

7 games is around 30% of Nurse’s contract. So I’m hoping it’ll be 6 more after this one.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 13, 2022

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

AntiDepressor posted:

I’m sure his numbers will stay the same when Bruce gets fired and Mike Yeo takes over.

It's like all of Chuck Fletcher's terrible decisions have multiplied and are taking over other clubs.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

QuasiQuack posted:

At what point does tanking turn into match fixing? someone arrest Dallas Eakins :negative:

The funny part is they do seem to be trying to win games, they're just stupid bad at defense and shot stopping. It's incredible just how bad they've gone. It's Arizona Coyotes bad.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

rex rabidorum vires posted:

At 5v5 - Columbus, San Jose, Los Angeles, Montreal, Buffalo, and Vancouver all sport worse sv% than Anaheim and Arizona ascending from .893 to .907. Then you hit the Yotes before Calgary and then Anaheim. In all situations you have: Los Angeles, Vancouver, San Jose, Seattle, St. Louis, Buffalo, and Columbus before reaching Anaheim. Range starts at .877 ending at .889 (Anaheim). Yotes land 14th worst at .897.

Point being don't insult Arizona's bottom mid-table goaltending like that. Now the rest of that whole....on ice thing.....yikes it's bad yes. For both Arizona and Anaheim. Bottom of the league bad in fact. It appears there are 2 distinct groups of 'very bad' this year with Anaheim/Arizona and Chicago all posting 40% xG splits...then a clump of Philadelphia, Vancouver, Columbus, Detroit, and Montreal next all hovering around 45% xG.

Haha. I was speaking collectively, but this makes :thejoke: even better.

Anaheim is somehow just abysmal and there’s not really a thing you can point to and say beyond “well they’re really young, maybe they’ll get better”. In just a few years they dove off deep into a rebuild and look like they’ll be there for a couple more. Maybe they’ll be the surprise in 2026 like the Devils were this year.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I... agree... with Gary Bettman?

Wild Card is good enough, don't need to cheapen it. The play in is the regular season. What benefit does giving these bottom half teams a platform to play in when it's not even being pitched as being in front of the teams' home crowds? I know I would be super upset if I had season tickets, my team was at #7-8, but then I don't get to see them play at all because they went to California in a neutral venue and lost to a #9 team and now I don't get to see any home playoff games. It would be stupid bullshit.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
But his mom told him that it was a draw, so it must have been.

He's lucky he went down fast or he would have really gotten his rear end kicked.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Yeah, Gibson doesn't look off the angles on it. He just doesn't have any help from the rest of his team. Someone needs to be boxing out Tavares and I'm sure at least 1-2 of the Ducks had a chance to get in better position on Marner too.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

VOTE1 posted:

Not on a “what was he supposed to do!?!” Frame, but from someone who has never played, how practical is it for Reeves to hit there without putting him in hospital or is the only real option there to pull out of the hit of the defenceless player?

Hronek isn't considered a defenceless player there. He has possession of the puck and is eligible to be checked. Reaves isn't picking up speed to make contact, he just takes the center line through the body of the player. Elbow isn't extended either, that means out from the body, not tucked in, so it's not Elbowing. It's not an Illegal check to the head either because he takes the center line and they were square and front-front. If the puck wasn't there, or there were timing or angle issues with the hit, I'd be all for a good few games suspended. But there's no way to take a square hit and part of you not hit the other player's head.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

People are discussing their hot takes on realignment ideas rn. Random, but it’s interesting to see people suggest there be fewer games per season.

They're fun thought experiments, but the owners and probably even players won't be looking for fewer games in a season for the fact that if there are fewer games, then the cap doesn't go up and when it does it goes up slower.

Four team divisions would lead to dumb geographical things like dumping the California teams + Arizona together and having a dumpster fire division. And then dumping Seattle into Canada-West. I don't see this leading to a better season/playoff experience either, because you're taking only 2 from every division and in years like this with a stronger Metro division, you'd be missing out on one of those teams that would make it via wild card right now.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Simplex posted:

Imagine the guys who can't crack the lineup on that team. Now imagine having to play 2-3 of them every night.

Some of it is so they can hit the cap floor. The Ducks are just really bad this year and I’ll be surprised at this point if they don’t start selling early and get real solid positioning for the lottery.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

.Spec posted:

Truly the regression has begun. It's funny though that they're right back where they were last year where the defensive lapses and sub-average goaltending are sinking them, only now they have decent forward depth and their 5v5 numbers at least looked good enough. Hopefully they can turn it around now that the road trip is over but woof. If this continues I can only hope it ramps up the heat on Hakstol.

Legitimately, he's done very little adjusting to his style of play since he was at North Dakota 15 years ago. The goal of it is to play downhill fast, then come back up high and try to cause chaos in front of the net. I'm not sure how much patience you'd have to watch old college hockey tape, but this is a really good game that shows the style with a really good line up. A bunch of players on both teams are still playing in the NHL now, so it's not just a bunch of washouts playing either. You'll see the D jump up fast on high risk breakouts, you'll see lots of stretch plays, and you'll see guys in green sweaters who can legit cycle the puck now toss it up to the point and crash the net instead of maintaining possession and finding a better shot. It worked great in college hockey against so many teams who just couldn't put up with the speed from being physically outmatched. That doesn't happen in the NHL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ij8TLM2upA

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

T-Bone posted:

Seattle needs to get better goaltending but they'll fine once they start playing against the dreck in the West again. The only team that looks capable of threatening their playoff spot is Calgary, and there aren't exactly any world beaters ahead of them.

Now the real interesting team lately is Washington, they are looking more and more capable of making a run. The top 7 in the East look like a lock to me, but Detroit is probably done (I wouldn't be surprised if Florida/Ottawa/Buffalo are in front of them by end of Jan) and it's starting to look more like Islanders/Washington/Florida for that last spot.

That poor start and the Kuemper injury might be too much for the Caps ultimately but they look dangerous.

There aren't goalies enough to go around who can put up .910 s% or higher. The distribution between this year and last is down, and having two goalies sub .890 is not helping. But I still maintain that Hakstol is terrible to goalies regardless. You could take Igor and give him to Hakstol and that .930 s% would be down to under .910 in 10 games. I wouldn't be surprised if Grubauer was suddenly a .910 goalie again with a different boss behind the bench.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

T-Bone posted:

Better goalies than Grubauer have turned south at 30. It's more likely that he's never a good starter again.

Hakstol has been an above average 5v5 coach defensively his entire NHL career -- 13th league average xGA over his tenure with the Flyers (9th actual) and even last year Seattle was 11th in xGA.

There's a lot of consternation in this thread about him (and coaches in general) but a lot of it I find to be conjecture. I absolutely do think coaches can lose a room (motivationally and tactically) and that NHL teams are generally right to try coaching changes to jolt their teams. I don't think there are many (or have been many) NHL coaches that provide extreme negative or positive value on their own (outside of maybe my avatar and a few others). Certainly not compared to what you can do with your roster management.

Coaches definitely lose a room, but with Hakstol it's not that here. For me it's down to how they breakout and the rotation in the o-zone. You can have a xGA of 2nd right now, but if your actual GA/G has you sitting in 20th, you can't just blame the goalies which is what a lot of people do. (Last years was 4th xGA, but 24th actual GA/G). They're playing better in the o-zone this year which is nice to see, but defensively they've been mostly the same because that's the system. Borgen-Soucy are typically a lot better at making those decisions to jump into play with support, but the other pairs are not so good with the decision making. You could change who's playing, but that doesn't solve the problem of the system expecting them to jump fast up ice, or the system wanting them to frequently shoot from the points. Making adjustments to the system will change that. Hakstol has shown that he's stuck with his system, and I don't expect him to change it at this point.

So what other options are there? They've shown they're not changing the d-zone system. The first pairing is as big a problem in that system as the third pairing. You can't change all of the players, and Philly had the same issues and that's all different players. So it's down to it being a coaching problem. I wouldn't suggest really watching a lot of tape on it, it's not worth the time unless you really want to dig into the Kraken for some reason. But the players are still bought into the system. The play fast break hockey and frequently fly the zone early to try to score on the transition. Even with the win streak and Jones playing relatively well, he's under .890 for the year. They'll just keep getting punished for their D-zone structure/breakouts until it changes.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

T-Bone posted:

You're not going to see any kind of major system change (and certainly not mid season) from just about any coach in the NHL. There are adjustments, sure, but if they want a huge overhaul it's going to be a coaching change. If Seattle's GA continues to heavily lag behind its xGA (and 5v5 historically it didn't for his Flyers teams) and they're in danger of missing, then sure, fire him, but I don't see any evidence that he's not capable of getting that team to the playoffs.

Exactly why I’ve been disappointed since Hakstol was announced in July before the expansion draft. I’ve known his style and systems for around 20 years now and the players keep changing but there are obvious things you can expect.

They won’t change Hakstol mid season this year though, you’re right. The Pacific is soft and I wouldn’t put it past them to make the second round against LA and get destroyed by Vegas. It doesn’t make me confident in the future though because there are still the system problems that will not get changed.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I'm sure he's fine and probably a perfectly ok AHL player but its really funny how like half the NHL is obsessed with getting the Home Town Kids who play a handful of games and then get waived when they don't pan out. Boston does it like twice a year, Minnesota too I think.

Boston and Minnesota have a lot more options to do it and at a consistently higher level than most of the rest of the league. It's a nice story and great for the kids in the area though, so even if he only plays 5 games it's a good PR boost for youth hockey in the region. There's still a shrine to TJ Oshie here at the rink he grew up playing at in Seattle (until he was playing Midgets and 15). The kids like to see it though, so I wouldn't want it to go away. Anything that's good to get kids excited to play hockey. Rinks in Minnesota and Massachusetts are highly likely to have a wall full of pictures. You can add a number of other cities/states to that list, but those are the ones with the biggest numbers still.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I just listened to a game called by Leah Hextall, and she's improved so much since last season. It's good to hear. She's no Doc, but she's no worse than any of the other B-tier regional play by play people out there either. Another year or two and she might even be pretty good. Cassie doesn't seem to be a good fit with her as she's the opposite of what Eddie Olcyzk is as a color commentator. She doesn't jump into the conversation enough in the lulls in play and Edzo does too much. She does get points for being better than Pierre McGuire.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Dunno. He's definitely falling forwards. I'm leaning towards accidental.

It’s the sort of motion that happens a dozen times a night in face offs. This just looks like bad luck. Most of the time they’d just be tying up hands.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Pungry posted:

This is by far the best goal I've seen live.

https://twitter.com/BR_OpenIce/status/1604661857377058816

Kraken fans made noise every time they were asked to by the PA but got deathly silent when play started. It was pretty funny.

Every game I go to I have to listen to people try to explain hockey to each other. Once in a while you get someone that knows what they're talking about, but a lot of people just seem to be there for the expensive beer and selfies. It's part of it these days, but it doesn't make it a lot of fun to watch them. There was a goal waved off immediately a few weeks ago and people were cheering for for like 20 seconds. There'd probably be three dozen people booing Bettman if he were there. They just don't know any better.

Absolutely beautiful goal from Eberle would have been nice to see in person.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

drat
Couturier, Ellis, and Atkinson are almost $20 million of dead capspace

I feel bad for the players and fans. Injuries are not cool.

But Chuck, how does it feel being 10+ million of empty cap space. Lols.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

.Spec posted:

This was absolutely all time. You knew it was going to get waved off as soon as they showed the replay but that didn't stop the majority of the arena from getting it wrong. I assume these are the same people who yell GRUUUUUUU at every save regardless of who's in net for the Kraken.

That Eberle goal was sick as hell though, I think it caught just about everyone off guard when it went in.

Or the drunk guy who yells shoot when the puck is at the blue line and they don’t even have possession.

I’m glad people are having fun, but it does sort of ruin things when everyone jumps up and starts high fiving and I’m just sitting there because it was clearly not ever a goal.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Shoulda done it when they played the Devils.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Pungry posted:

The most frustrating thing about this year is that Panthers' management already expected it to be a step back and all these small injuries keeping key players out of big games gives them further excuses to just run it back the next year with little change. "Oh, Barkov was out against the Bruins and it was Spencer Knight's first game back off of two weeks of sickness, of course they got thumped", "oh Duclair was out for 3 months, no wonder they had to sign Eric Staal", "oh they're putting $14.5 million against the cap for goaltending with Bob and Knight and were expecting the salary cap to go up for next year, of course they can't expect to compete" etc etc etc. Just super frustrating that you can list any number of excuses for why this year is not working anywhere near as well as last year without considering that this dumbass culture change of hiring Paul Maurice and trying to emulate the Lightning is the actual problem.

Does that mean I can just complain when Minnesota crumbles to a 3rd place finish because of cap issues? Lame. Build a team or don't, but the excuses are like telling your fans to eat poo poo and that's not cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's not that he's lazy. It's that he just doesn't care.

Every night you backcheck we’ll pay your greens fees for a day and there will be a hot dog cart that will follow you around.

Granted someone probably already tried this, but it’s worth a shot.