Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

T-Bone posted:

Every time I think Detroit is going into the inevitable tank they win a few. Maybe the Rangers and Panthers are gonna truly and really gently caress up

e: Devils own, etc, but I don't trust this so called goaltending thing, feels like they're giving up a little too much lately and I think it will cost them a bit coming up against tougher teams

I thought Vanacek was great tonight...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Viktor Arvidsson trying to become the NHL Nick Castellanos

e: That lady doing the interview is gonna get some poo poo for that though. It's a 4-1 goal and you have to pause that interview to cover it? Yikes

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 7, 2022

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

mcmagic posted:

I thought Vanacek was great tonight...

oh yeah I just mean I don't like the chances they're giving up and I'm sure the goaltending will come back down to Earth at some point, probably against Carolina/Boston/etc when they play them later this month, I'm just looking for poo poo to complain about tbh I mean what the gently caress this team is unreal

Nemec/Hughes/Casey playing sick great lately too :stare:

Arseny Gritsyuk starting to heat up in the K a bit too

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

T-Bone posted:

oh yeah I just mean I don't like the chances they're giving up and I'm sure the goaltending will come back down to Earth at some point, probably against Carolina/Boston/etc when they play them later this month, I'm just looking for poo poo to complain about tbh I mean what the gently caress this team is unreal

Nemec/Hughes/Casey playing sick great lately too :stare:

Arseny Gritsyuk starting to heat up in the K a bit too

If you beat the lovely teams and go 500 against the good teams you will do fine. They aren't going to keep up the 18-1-1 pace lol

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

T-Bone posted:

So how is this a goal?

https://www.nhl.com/video/crosby-nets-back-to-back-goals/t-335529202/c-14110956

But this isn't?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOSo4U5ZVVA&t=66s

e: I guess the Crosby was ruled goal on the ice, and the Bastian one wasn't. But they're still both in the crease and the goalie initiates contact (although the Bastian one is a little more 50/50 about that). Bastian is also deeper in the crease.

Bastion makes contact with Murray prior to the shot being taken and contact is made in the crease and it impedes Murray's ability to play his position. Sid is well outside the crease and doesn't make any contact with the goaltender until after he's sprawled out completely to make the save. Edit: also that Sid is attempting to shoot/redirect the puck and this motion is what leads to him having contact with the goalie.

To me it comes down to impeding the goaltender from playing his position and Sid wasn't adjudged to do so where as Bastion (definitely imo) was.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 7, 2022

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

n: Jets beat Panthers 5-2
v: suck it paul maurice

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Is there a team that exists (or has ever existed) that is/was too talented for Paul Maurice to ruin taking over as head coach?

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

T-Bone posted:

So how is this a goal?

https://www.nhl.com/video/crosby-nets-back-to-back-goals/t-335529202/c-14110956

But this isn't?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOSo4U5ZVVA&t=66s

e: I guess the Crosby was ruled goal on the ice, and the Bastian one wasn't. But they're still both in the crease and the goalie initiates contact (although the Bastian one is a little more 50/50 about that). Bastian is also deeper in the crease.

The Crosby contact doesn't impede the goalie's ability to make a save (He is already down with the puck going over his pad when the contact happens.) It's not automatically no goal for touching the goalie.

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Bastion makes contact with Murray prior to the shot being taken and contact is made in the crease and it impedes Murray's ability to play his position. Sid is well outside the crease and doesn't make any contact with the goaltender until after he's sprawled out completely to make the save. Edit: also that Sid is attempting to shoot/redirect the puck and this motion is what leads to him having contact with the goalie.

To me it comes down to impeding the goaltender from playing his position and Sid wasn't adjudged to do so where as Bastion (definitely imo) was.

Yeah, this.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

fisting by many posted:

The Crosby contact doesn't impede the goalie's ability to make a save (He is already down with the puck going over his pad when the contact happens.) It's not automatically no goal for touching the goalie.

It arguably does since I'm not sure he can extend his pad out as far as he'd want to and Crosby is in the crease there

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah I think the Bastian one is a little easier to see but not to pull out my "has been playing goalie since I was five years old" card but that contact would absolutely impede my ability to make a save there

e: I think you could maybe argue that he probably doesn't make the save anyway given the angle of Crosby's tip and I think that's their real rationale for letting it stand, because there's clearly contact preventing his pad from extending how he wants it to.

That and it was a goal on the ice.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 7, 2022

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Folks, it's time to ask the question.

Is Ville Husso elite?

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Matt Murray is All Elite. :colbert:

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
First hockey player to hit the one winged angel in a fight on the ice

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

MJeff posted:

Folks, it's time to ask the question.

Is Ville Husso elite?

I thought for sure the Wings were going to get the rare "score an ENG and lose the game" combo, but no, Tampa turned on the Death Star and Ville just shrugged it off.

His numbers would be looking pretty sexy if he, uh, didn't let in six goals in a period that one time

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Sid is well outside the crease

crosby's contact with the goalie is made in the crease, which is what supposedly matters. his leg hits the goalie's pad inside the blue paint.

not saying it should have been disallowed or anything. there is clearly a subjective / judgment call aspect to whether the contact "impedes" the goalie and because it's subjective it seems pretty rare that they see anything in a replay / challenge which convinces them to reverse the on ice decision either way

secret volcano lair fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 7, 2022

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Well the Kraken appear to have turned back into the pumpkin of last year's team with terrible defense, worse goaltending, and chaos sloppy offense. But at least Shane Wright got his first goal tonight.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

New Jersey are this year's Panthers, which means they're going to get stomped by Tampa in the playoffs and make a bunch of insane moves in response that crushes all the momentum and cohesion they had. Quote me in six months.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

DancingMachine posted:

Well the Kraken appear to have turned back into the pumpkin of last year's team with terrible defense, worse goaltending, and chaos sloppy offense. But at least Shane Wright got his first goal tonight.

In Seattle’s 24th game, which was his 8th. Send this kid down already

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

ThinkTank posted:

New Jersey are this year's Panthers, which means they're going to get stomped by Tampa in the playoffs and make a bunch of insane moves in response that crushes all the momentum and cohesion they had. Quote me in six months.

I don't think they'd flail as much as the Panthers because their core is younger. But if they gently caress up re-signing Bratt, that could amplify a normal regression, yeah.

I'm less certain that Tampa has what it takes to be the spoiler this year, though I guess they're 7-3 in their last 10.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

I'm less certain that Tampa has what it takes to be the spoiler this year, though I guess they're 7-3 in their last 10.

Tampa looked exhausted last year and still made it to game 6 of the cup finals. I'm not counting them out until they finish a season 20 points below the playoff bar.

Kucherov is 4th in NHL scoring and almost no one has even mentioned his name this year.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

People get bored of consistent greatness. It's why everyone ho hums Connor for whoever is within striking distance of him in any given season.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

People get bored of consistent greatness. It's why everyone ho hums Connor for whoever is within striking distance of him in any given season.

Conor McDavid is tied with 15 players from 25th to 40th in 5v5 scoring and has been scored on more often than his team has scored. A bazillion powerplay points and his team is barely in the WC hunt. Sure seems like a flat track bully to me.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Speaking of the Devils, I saw this in-arena bit and it's pretty cool.

https://twitter.com/ryannovo62/status/1600312939478671367?s=20&t=EmRgfe197luri3TlcWqkDA

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm not an Oilers fan by any stretch of the imagination but Connor is the best player in the sport by a pretty big margin, and adding qualifiers to make it seem like he's not is silly. Saying stuff like "he's only 15th in scoring if you don't count all these other points he scored" seems kinda dumb to me. If it was so easy, why isn't every other star player scoring at his level? Robertson is the only non-Oiler coming close and it's required him playing at an insanely unsustainable level for anyone that isn't Connor McDavid.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I'm not an Oilers fan by any stretch of the imagination but Connor is the best player in the sport by a pretty big margin, and adding qualifiers to make it seem like he's not is silly. Saying stuff like "he's only 15th in scoring if you don't count all these other points he scored" seems kinda dumb to me. If it was so easy, why isn't every other star player scoring at his level? Robertson is the only non-Oiler coming close and it's required him playing at an insanely unsustainable level for anyone that isn't Connor McDavid.

Secondary SidConnor

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
he's a great player but his team sure sucks and the only guy he really seems to elevate is Draisatl (who is also a great player). remember when Crosby got Chris Kunitz onto Canada's Olympic team? when Jarome Iginla turned Dean McAmmond and Craig Conroy into a legitimate 1st line? Connor is great but he also sucks its one of life's great things

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Hand Knit posted:

Speaking of the Devils, I saw this in-arena bit and it's pretty cool.

https://twitter.com/ryannovo62/status/1600312939478671367?s=20&t=EmRgfe197luri3TlcWqkDA

This was so good lol

How do you not love Chico.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

The Dirty Burger posted:

In Seattle’s 24th game, which was his 8th. Send this kid down already

He just came back from his max of five games in the AHL for conditioning.

He looked better in the first last night, but then the whole team just started getting stifled by the Canadiens playing defense. I was confused too, but they had good gap control and stood them up in the neutral zone which is kryptonite to the Kraken stretch game.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Like I brought up before in the off-season about Conor vs Austin you can be the most ridiculous offensive player on the planet (like Conor is) but if you also give back just as many your team isn't going to go far.

In all situations Conor and Leon lead the league for total on ice goals for (amongst forward). They also clock in with 64 and 61% goal split. However, compared to other 'elite' players that's near the bottom of what you want to see. Pasta or Berge are 75%. Matthews and MacKinnon are 72ish%.

I would think, to anyone, when your super star 'best player' in the league isn't actually that dominant during the periods that the vast majority of the game is played at. That might be problematic and maybe he isn't actually 'the best player' because being the best player might include things like 'not getting scored on' and 'playing defense'.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yeah I agree with that, but Connor and Leon can't play all five positions. To use your Bruins player examples, since I know that team better, part of it is that Bergeron and Pasta are indeed elite level players but they also play with McAvoy, Marchand, Krejci, Hall, Lindholm, have competent goalies in net and skaters in depth positions. Connor has to play with garbage, frankly. I don't think they've had a real NHL caliber #1 defenseman or starting goalie in like a decade.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Chad Sexington posted:

I don't think they'd flail as much as the Panthers because their core is younger. But if they gently caress up re-signing Bratt, that could amplify a normal regression, yeah.

They should re sign Bratt literally today but that has been true for like 2 years and they haven't.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

In all situations Conor and Leon lead the league for total on ice goals for (amongst forward). They also clock in with 64 and 61% goal split. However, compared to other 'elite' players that's near the bottom of what you want to see. Pasta or Berge are 75%. Matthews and MacKinnon are 72ish%.

that number really seems like it might have something to do with the bruins and leafs having much better defense and goaltending

like Toronto and Boston are 2nd and 4th in goals against above expected, Oilers are... 27th

secret volcano lair fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 7, 2022

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
McDavid's 53% xgoals seems fine enough considering how insanely good he is on the PP to go along with that.

Also most of the guys who have eye popping 5v5 xgoals numbers are surrounded by teammates who are also dominating 5v5. Like sure Bergeron's 70% is sick, but Marchand is at 66%.

Meanwhile the Oilers have like five players who even manage to hit 50% xgoals 5v5.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

There's a bunch of smoke of the Oilers trading a pile of things for Erik Karlsson.

Gimme a Mcdavid/Leon/Hyman/Nurse/Karlsson 30 minutes per game gently caress it lets go

If the Oilers can't play good hockey, just give me ultimate chaos baby. Its that cocaine is hockey tweet but 80 times a year

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
trading for Karlsson when he actually has value again and then watching him get hurt within 5 games is going to be perfect

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I remember when Karlsson was originally traded out of Ottawa the Stars were considered front runners at one point but the asking price in the deal (which was stated to include Miro Heiskanen) was a bit too rich in the end...

Well Erik Karlsson is exactly the kind of player the Stars need right now lol.. there is a quite noticeable John Klingberg sized hole on the blueline at the moment, and sending out Jani Hakanpaa with Esa Lindell on the 2nd pairing to hack the puck into the ice is not going nearly so well as one might have hoped at the start of the season. And those are the Stars good puck moving defensemen outside of Heiskanen!

I dunno.. feels like something has to give soon, because that's really the one and only weakness this Stars team has and it's felt very evident in recent games.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

ThinkTank posted:

ThinkTank posted:

Yes to the first although it won't be Tampa but some other cretinous East team (hopefully not the Rangers and Schrödinger's Elbow).

But yeah I think they're too early in their new car phase to do anything too crazy, then again they didn't extend Bratt but at least that was before .827 god mode

I think the most realistic insane things they could do are not extend Bratt / trade Nemec-Casey for like a rental or some stupid poo poo. Although Fitzgerald's comments about these topics are encouraging.

THAT being said, I think it will be interesting next year and I wouldn't be surprised if they're worse if they lose some portion of Graves/Severson/Wood/Tatar and are relying more heavily on young players like Luke Hughes/Nemec/Holtz/Bahl.

e: The Montreal media keeps trying to push that the Devils want Josh Anderson because there was interest in the offseason before the Palat signing and everything else but that's just Montreal media, I'm 99% sure the Devils will stay the gently caress away from that garbage contract (do NOT quote this).

Assuming everyone is healthy I absolutely do see them adding a middle six forward at the deadline, probably not blockbuster variety unless the Meier price isn't insane (it will be). But some middle sixer with grit who can score a little would be fine.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 7, 2022

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Starsfan posted:

Is there a team that exists (or has ever existed) that is/was too talented for Paul Maurice to ruin taking over as head coach?

In the case of last night's game, the Panthers were missing Barkov and Anton Lundell. They've had extreme problems fielding a full set of skaters for games because of Bobrovsky's absolute albatross of a contract and might have to jettison someone like Sam Reinhart when Anthony Duclair comes back from injury because they can't fit under the cap. For all the good that Bill Zito did in 2021 filling out a super fun core, he has been really bad this year being cap compliant and it has shown.

Of course, on the ice, the Panthers look like dogshit compared to last year because Paul Maurice's systems suck rear end. No debating that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

Kuch creating some deadline cap space early I see.