Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

God I hate Alex Tuch. Don't get me wrong I would love him if he was on the Avs, but as it stands now I can't stand his stupid face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

DancingMachine posted:

They're 4-1 vs. the east though to be fair they haven't played the best teams in the East. (Carolina - L, Penguins, Penguins, Rangers, Capitals). They're 2-2 against the other good teams in the west (Jets, Avalanche, Knights, have not played the Stars). I'm not sure "The West sucks" is a reason to think Kraken are frauds. Shooting percentage and iffy goaltending seem like reasons to me to be skeptical they can maintain the current pace, but the 5 on 5 numbers look pretty good and it would be surprising if they lost more than they won going forward wouldn't it?

Looking up and down their roster there's quite a few players I would feel real comfortable betting that they won't continue producing at their current pace. Maybe not everybody regresses at the same time, and they can keep it moving along. Or they could pretty easily hit a streak where they lose 10 in a row.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I'm thinking I have to take a break from watching the Avs until they start getting healthy. It's difficult to watch them get housed by the Flyers and recognize the more talented team won.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

fermun posted:

Also Jayson Megna got placed on waivers for salary cap reasons and the Ducks claimed him, so the Avs need to call up 2 forwards from the AHL or put in a claim for Dominic Toninato off waivers from Winnipeg, either way, a chance they dress their 24th and maybe their 25th forward for the season tomorrow.

Claiming Megna seems so pointless I almost have to assume it was done out of spite.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

If he gets another 1300 assists I don't see why not.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Cartoon Man posted:

If they were static I wouldn’t care but when they’re animated it loving sucks rear end.

The static ones are worse because of the lack of motion blur. At least with the animated ones there's so much noise on the screen is difficult to focus on any one thing that's wrong with the picture.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Twin Cinema posted:

It's weird, because I am pretty sure last season, I said Anaheim is a great young team on the rise. Zegras, Terry, McTavish and Drysdale. But, it looks like went from one of the best young goalies in the league to one of the worst goalies. Unsure what happened there.
The Ducks were vaguely in the playoff picture last year, and then just decided to blow it up for some reason and the team has been dogshit since. Maybe it's worth it if they win the Bedard lottery, but if not, in not sure what plan B is.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Uh what? Anaheim wasn't anywhere near the playoffs last year. They weren't even close to competitive in the worst division last year.

March 14th, the other teams had games in hand, but the Ducks were 4 points back from the Oilers and 3 back from the Stars.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I dunno. The Ducks are bad but they're bad on purpose. It's easy to forget that they're basically icing a NCAA roster, in terms of age (that's an exaggeration, but like half their lineup is real young). Zegras, McTavish, Drysdale, Terry, and Lundestrom already has the makings of a pretty good core, and Terry is the oldest at 24. They have some other decent prospects in the pipeline too like Olen Zellweger and Nate Gaucher. Then you figure they add one of Bedard, Michkov, Fantilli, or Carlsson this summer and I think they'll turn it around pretty quickly. They have the potential to be scary good in a few years.

They're young, but their contract situation isn't great for a team that's miles away from the playoffs. Zegras, Drysdale and Terry are all RFAs this offseason and are going to get paid. Then they are going to have to replace almost their entire D corps with whatever cap space is left.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Jamwad Hilder posted:

They have 13 million in space right now and Klingberg (7M) Shattenkirk (3.9M) will almost certainly be traded/not re-signed. Maybe Adam Henrique (5.825M) and Kulikov (2.25) too. They're still going to be bad, but having young players called up to fill roles won't be a problem for them. Like Olli Juolevi, remember that guy? Apparently he's in the Ducks system now. The cap won't be a problem. Zegras might get paid but Drysdale and Terry will get bridge deals I bet.

They're still going to be bad for the next year or two, but it's not going to last forever with the talent they have in their system.

Terry's already on his second contract, he's not signing a one year(?) bridge deal. Given the market for young defensemen who are worth a poo poo, you are absolutely going to have to give a 7-8 year deal to Drysdale.

eXXon posted:

If you're a team giving up 4+ goals against per game, replacing your entire defense sounds good actually.

Imagine the guys who can't crack the lineup on that team. Now imagine having to play 2-3 of them every night.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

Hunt is fine if he's on the 4th line. Ask anything more of him and yes, he sucks.

Vesey has been a huge upgrade over him.

It's a real weird trade for the Avs, and just kind of seems like they are doing a solid for Hunt. Presumably they moved him because they are happy with Meyers, Foudy and Hudon and want to keep those 3 around as guys start coming back from IR. But, I don't get the point of getting Malgin back in return.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

O don't know if you can blame the PP on Maurice as it officially died in the playoffs last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

This year the east is at least interesting if nothing else. I could swear the 8 playoff spots were locked up by Christmas time last year.