Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
west coast road trips are stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I sincerely hope someone in the Caps front office is making plans for being sellers at the deadline. They haven't really had to do it since 2007.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah I think Orlov might get a good return, and maybe Mantha if they decide to cut bait on him after just a year. I don't think Jensen will get a first just because Chiarot did, although obviously the Caps would be wise to play that up. Otherwise it seems like it's a lot of older depth players who probably only get you mid-round picks and longshot prospects in return. Strome seems like an interesting candidate, he's been playing well but he's also 25 and could theoretically be part of the next Caps team if they think they can retool on the fly and be in the playoff picture again in 2-3 years

Wilson, Kuznetsov, and Carlson would all net pretty big returns but I have a hard time seeing any of them traded. I think the Capitals, if they acknowledge there's a problem at all, will only commit to the aforementioned Retool/Rebuild on the fly model that seems to rarely work. I doubt they trade any of those three if that's the case.

They already look like a team that is retooling on the fly. And if they stay in the mode, there's no way they move significant pieces like Wilson, Orlov or even Jensen. Because you can't lose them and get better signing UFAs, so they're kind of stuck.

If I were to put money on it, I can see them trading like... Sonny Milano and Conor Sheary for late-round picks and just eating poo poo.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Mind_Taker posted:

I think he’s going to score a lot regardless if they sell off or not. Yeah they need to keep some guys around like Strome and maybe like Oshie for leadership or whatever but I don’t really think Ovie relies on guys like Mantha, Kuznetsov, and Carlson as much as we might think.

Yeah I'm not sure what mortgaging the future gets Ovi exactly goals-wise. I guess you do need a PP1 with enough threats that the PK can't just drape a defender on him. (That's what was happening when Oshie was out.) But unless you can trade futures for a time machine to go back and get the 2009 Nicklas Backstrom... what's the play exactly?

Ah, who am I kidding, they're not going to do poo poo except trade McMichael for some Martin Erat motherfucker at the deadline that will do nothing. The interesting thing is what they do in the off-season with all the UFAs coming off the books.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

T-Bone posted:

https://twitter.com/NBCSPhilly/status/1599243267241279489

lol

He's right though, the Flyers played great and should have won.

Yeah kept the top team in the division to 18 shots. What else could a coach want?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Hand Knit posted:

Anyway, Calle Jarnkrok got injured so the Leafs called up Semyon Der-Arguchintsev

Don't just make up names come on.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

yeah but what about 5v5

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Also Dahlin murdered a guy last night.

https://twitter.com/buffalosabres/status/1599574820865597441?s=46&t=hpXkqW8_Wal_rdFDqhixig

Dahlin is insanely good this season, to the point that he could win the Norris. He’s 2nd among defensemen in points and has elevated his defensive game. Many people are saying this.

Dahlin definitely has the rear end to throw the stinger. Seeing his skates flailing in the air after though is :eek:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think he's one of the best defensemen of the modern era and it's a shame that injuries have shut him down for so long.

One of the best offensive defensemen, maybe. Just looking at GSVA, Fox, Dahlin, Pietro, Hamilton, Lindholm, Siegenthaler, Makar, Theodore are all above him because his defense kind of stinks still. That was true even in his prime.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

The Oilers are a uh... high event team, eh? Caps shelled them for 50 shots.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

New Jersey are this year's Panthers, which means they're going to get stomped by Tampa in the playoffs and make a bunch of insane moves in response that crushes all the momentum and cohesion they had. Quote me in six months.

I don't think they'd flail as much as the Panthers because their core is younger. But if they gently caress up re-signing Bratt, that could amplify a normal regression, yeah.

I'm less certain that Tampa has what it takes to be the spoiler this year, though I guess they're 7-3 in their last 10.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Jhet posted:

These two things are not alike because of where the puck is when contact occurs. Bastian was not playing the puck when contact occurred, Crosby was attempting and succeeding in playing it when contact occurred. This is a pretty big difference, but the people on the TV and radio can't seem to ever figure it out. It's not kid hockey where you can't score while touching the crease and I'm pretty sure it falls into rule 69.7 under contact for a loose puck.

The real sin is giving Sid the goal when it looked like an own-goal by Gavrikov.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

he’s only like the 5th most accomplished star of his generation, so no, not even close.

the bigger knock on him IMO is that he’s never been “the guy you’d pick first for one game if your life depended on it.” he’s almost never been in the top 3 in that. Wayne was the clear answer to that for basically ten years straight, then Mario for like six years, then Lindros/Hasek/Jagr, then like Lidstrom/Pronger, then Sid for a ton of years and now Connor.

even at his peak years, for a game/playoff series I take Malkin over him, Sid, Toews, Kane, Datsyuk, Bergeron, Stammer arguably just for forwards. he’s been blessed to stay good and healthy for a long time, and I think he’ll get the record, but he’s not anywhere near Gretzky.

lol ok

No way they retire No. 8 leaguewide. But the league seems to have locked pretty hard on his scoring quest as a marketing gimmick for getting the NHL to break through on Sportscenter and national sports pages. It's all they really talk about on the regional broadcasts. And when the Caps are broadcast nationally the announcers generally don't seem to know a single other player or what narratives are actually going on with the team, but they'll talk about Ovi for a couple hours!

I expect the marketing will only get goofier, especially as the Caps get worse and Ovechkin gets closer to the mark.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Mr. Kite posted:

I've said before, I hope OV loads up on ENGs to make up for all the games he's missed because of lockouts/covid.

That said, is there a count of all-time non-ENGs?

e: Oh I totally misread that.

Levitate posted:

he'll always be the "guy just stood there and socked dingers" player to me

e: also the "probably loaded up on all kinds of experimental peds"

e: also also "supports a fascist dictator"

Even if you memory holed his early years as a rush scoring monster, I don't see how you could look past his physicality.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 8, 2022

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Koopa Kid posted:

I think most stats guys would tell you that Keller is good, but that team is so putrid and usage is so important to numbers that it’s hard to compare

It's called "the David Booth effect" in my mind palace.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

I have long suspected that Florida pads its stats. Tell me how it's possible that a franchise so irrelevant always manages to have a couple 90pt guys on the roster that they end up trading for a haul before they struggle mightily to attain those same heights?

I think that mostly applies to a certain era of the team in the 2000s. Jokinen, Booth, Bouwmeester. It really was just getting more ice time than they probably deserved in a soft division. And then traded after their best years so there was always going to be a drop-off.

There were guys like Nathan Horton and Michael Frolik who were more or less equally productive after moving.

tbd where Huberdeau falls

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Lol what a fuckin shithead thing to say

I have no dog in this fight, but Shesty 100% did the unnecessary glove flourish I would do playing goalie in street hockey.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Ovi will only score engs from now on

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Mind_Taker posted:

I feel like Washington has also been much better this year than in prior years when the other teams goalie is pulled. I’ll look up the stats but in prior years they’d give up tying goals pretty frequently when they had their grinders out there. Now it seems like they just put the Ovie turret out there to end games when the net is empty.

Yeah it's surprising how effective it is since it's basically 6 v 4, but I guess knowing Ovechkin is cherry picking might throw opposing offenses off-balance a bit? He's really good at hitting the shot from range and, weirdly, almost seems like a better player in transition with the net empty? He had a nice little move last night where he passed it to himself off the boards, for example. Didn't score on that one, granted. Maybe it's not that he's better but that in ENG situations he takes the puck up-ice at all, which he just hasn't done for like a decade.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

The Flyers got pissy about the multiple ENGs too.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Diet Crack posted:

Get the feeling the Devils goaltending is slowly but surely regressing to the mean.

They're also moving out of the easy portion of their schedule. They have the second-hardest strength of schedule through the rest of the season.

The Caps by contrast are out of the murder section of their schedule, are two points back of the wild card, have won four games in a row, have a hot hand in their backup goalie, and might get Tom Wilson back in the next month. (Although there has been nothing concrete on the latter.) It's looking less likely they'll be sellers at the deadline.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

They are noticeable and they suck. I feel like in the early going they kept the animations to when teams had possession in the defensive zone on a PP or whatever. But I've seen them do animations now with possession in the offensive zone and it's definitely distracting. Saying nothing of the glitches.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I'm a little surprised prices for the Caps next two home games haven't gotten crazy. Going to be a really fun atmosphere I think. (I'd go except for... you know, the airborne plague.)

Gambling on the games has gotten kind of funny. You pretty much have to take the Caps -1.5 on the puck line if you think they're going to win because how could they win by just one goal with Ovi out there scrapping for ENGs?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

Hey remember when CAS wanted Laviolette fired and the Caps to trade away everything not nailed down, way back like 2 weeks ago

Hey now, I always thought it was pointless to fire Lavy.

Five-game win streaks are nice. And like I said yesterday, the strength of schedule will get easier in the macro. But they've got a pretty decently tough stretch through the end of the year. Dallas, Toronto, Detroit, Winnipeg, NYR, with some Ottawax2 and Montreal mixed in for flavor. If they keep the momentum, yeah sure let's engage in optimism, but they're still a point back in the wild card.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Doesn't throwing sick HITZ count as defense?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

I feel like Ovechkin has become pretty good over the years at scoring goals around the net as well. Not that he was ever bad there, but he has a real knack for getting to rebounds these days.

Like yeah he's still smashing dingers, but he's really good around the net and it's probably not something people think about with him because he has such a long highlight reel of smashing one timers and scoring rush goals.

The dingers are a little rarer these days because it's not super hard to just stick a player in his face on the PP. The PP1 unit isn't as good as it used to be to take advantage of an effective 4 on 3.

One of the newer wrinkles is having Ovi rotate low to the goal line and either take a pass from the bumper or pick up a rebound or redirect from a Carlson clapper. He uses that spot a lot more when they have possession 5v5 too.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

That Reaves hit is one I would always try and line up in the NHL video games, but horrific to still see happen to a human.

If he has to blow a guy up, should have gone for a hip check instead of extending through his dome.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Caps have already had their spin with the IR. I think they'll be mostly on the upswing.

Lindgren has been excellent as a No. 2 goalie, so it might actually be a contest as to who is 1A/1B when Kuemper is back, which is supposed to be really soon.

Fehervary has been skating.

Wilson has been traveling and practicing with the team.

They've kind of scored by committee this year so unless they lose Ovechkin, Strome or Kuzy, they'll probably be OK. I still think FLA/BUF/NYI could all beat them out for the No. 8 slot though, even when they're healthy.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I'm not sure what to make of that honestly. Hischier has never seemed like an intent to injure guy. If he is, that actually makes me think the Devils have a chance this year, because Cup winners seem to need to be dirty psychos to win it all.

I was going to say Colorado is the only winner in recent memory that weren't dirty psychos, but Makar has had some chippy stuff this year.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I can't believe the bookies let me make money betting against Chicago. Who is on the other side of these bets?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

If the Sabres continue to get good goaltending they will be competing for a playoff spot, but it’ll probably be a wildcard so the Metro is only allowed to send 4 teams, sorry. Maybe the Devils will crash and burn? The Islanders? The Rangers? Who knows at this point.

Winning 4 straight and with a +18 goal differential, they make a pretty good case. They definitely have upside than the other bubble teams.

Caps are definitely right in the mix and if the playoffs were at the end of January, I think they'd edge the Isles for the 8th spot. There's enough season left that there's likely to be another momentum swing or two though. If they get in, I think it's just because their remaining strength of schedule is is much easier than the Islanders/Sabres/Panthers.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Gerblederp posted:

There’s only one true winner here and it’s not close

I know the answer is supposed to be the Leafs but as someone who grew up in Jersey and who lives in D.C. now, historically New York fans are usually the most annoying to actually interact with because they think they know everything.

Maybe the answers are affected by how online you are? I don't go to games anymore with COVID and I mostly only interact with hockey fans here. So for questions like "which fanbase do you think is the most delusional about their team" it's like... none? Leafs fans seem to know they're cursed. Boston sports fans are generally annoying too but their team is actually really good this year.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

801 babyyyyy

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

802 babyyyyy

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Caps look like a playoff team even with half the team injured. Real goaltending continues to be nice too.

Levitate posted:

I hope Trouba brains ovechkin tonight

Eat shutout nerd

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Fire Lindy!

Sorry Lindy!

Wait, no, fire Lindy!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

The Bruins played well in the second but their first goal was just off a bad turnover and the second was some Marchand/Bergeron fuckery on a bad line change. To my dumb-dumb eye test they looked pretty even.

It's not so bad to lose to a team as good as the Bruins. Problem is their next games are against the Pens and Carolina, so that strength of schedule keeps hurting them. They may not pick things up until their west coast road trip.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

The Pens have played awful hockey since the Christmas break. If they play tomorrow like they did against the Islanders and Wings the Devils will probably no joke put up like 60 shots on goal.

Respectfully, I've learned not to take the midseason dooming of PAS very seriously.

Devils are 2-7-1 in their last 10. Pens are 6-2-2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

If you're wondering how the Bruins lost at home finally, I just HAD to make my Caps bet a parlay with an easy Boston layup.