Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What best approximates your holiday experience?
This poll is closed.
A time of festivities with family and friends that reminds you of life and love 5 13.89%
A time of rumination and reflection as you consider your year and the next 4 11.11%
A time of quiet, cloudy depression where you fold yourself in shows and video games until it's over 17 47.22%
A time to smoke just so much god damned weed 10 27.78%
Total: 36 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

I remember catching a lot of poo poo for asking if having the Southern Cross tattoo had too much nationalist connotation, but I guess I can pull that question back out.

It did for a minute about 10 years ago. It seems to have mellowed a bit now. It's definitely not a literal nationalist thing. There is a lot of overlap, and it's enough to raise the question, but not enough to condemn.

Also goddamn if you've ever had a bad day at work just think you didn't need to get in a ring with Sergei loving Pavolvich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

CarlCX posted:

The origin of negativity towards Helwani is completely rooted in Dana White bitching about having even the most basic, boilerplate levels of actual journalism in the industry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKV71BojOYk

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Calling a Jewish person a "rodent" and accusing them of chasing money feels particularly loving lovely in the current cultural climate.

e - and "a maggot"

e2 - and "lizard"

The central beef seems to be that Paddy got pissed when he felt that it was cos of Ariel that people knew that Paddy's team asks for money for interviews, when Paddy's own manager literally posted a thing to instagram saying "Yo fighters you should get paid for interviews".

And then the other one is that "Ariel wants to get paid", as if that's not what everyone in the loving world (including and especially in the UFC) is doing.

e 3 - At least the response on social media seems to be unanimously in Ariel's favour. Like all Paddy's fans are saying "you really kinda hosed this one mate"

e 4 - Yes Ariel's video could have been half as long, but it's honestly heartwarming to watch the entire community stand in solidarity with an awkward dweeb. Just an astonishing own goal from Padbert.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 8, 2022

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

lmao this kid getting absolutely eviscerated in the comments. its relentless :lol:

i dont think ive ever seen a prospect lose so much stock just from one fight, much less one that he """won""". just a textbook case in how to handle everything completely wrong.

It wasn't just the fight, it started the week before with his unprovoked attack on Ariel, and Ariel bringing receipts. All the comments were saying "love ya paddy but this sucks man"

Then when doubled down and kept lying, and kept talking himself up, it got worse, on every video he appeared in, including ones like Amelia's Chicken Shop Dates.

Then to have a performance like that, and call for "fight of the night", both in the ring and to Dana afterwards (has anyone done that?), any shine he had has completely gone.

CarlCX posted:

Yeah, like, Paddy Pimblett is a dumb rear end in a top hat, but he's made the conscious choice to be a dumb rear end in a top hat. He's long since committed wholesale to the Conor-lite thing, it's not like he can dial it back now. He's going to ride it without ever deviating right up until the moment someone completely breaks his poo poo, and I can only hope that it is Ilia Topuria.

But he wasn't a dumb rear end in a top hat, was he? He was a loveable happy-go-lucky scouser who spoke up about bullies and stuff.

Have we ever seen such a complete burn and turn in less than a week?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

mister posted:

At first I thought Paddy had a bit of a point under all the shittiness. I mean calling Ariel dog whistle anti-semitic names is super lovely, and he's done similar things often enough that he shouldn't get the benefit of the doubt, but asking for appearance fees isn't unreasonable. Ariel is getting paid for these podcasts so why shouldn't the fighters get compensated for their time? They get paid little enough as it is and you can't pay rent in exposure.

Then I saw today that DJ said when Paddy asked him to appear on Paddy's podcast there was never any offer of pay. So Paddy is a hypocrite as well as a race baiting turd.

Fighters can ask to be paid for interviews if they want. It's basically unheard of, but they are free to do so. And the journalists are free to say "nah we're good". And then everyone moves on.

The issue is that Paddy lied about the whole thing.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

mister posted:

The time that fighters spend on podcasts

Is time they spend on building their profile and their brand and likeability and marketability and making new fans and building buzz and calling out other fighters etc, which is ultimately how they make money.

But the issue here isn't whether fighters can or should ask for payment for interviews, although that is a potentially interesting subject. Nor is it about who or what is a journalist.

This all happened last year - Paddy's manager asked Ariel for a budget, Ariel said "pass", and that was basically it. The next day Ariel asked someone "yo has anyone ever asked you for payment?", to which they replied "no, that's whack", and he never mentioned it again.

Paddy's manager put out a post on instagram saying "fighters should get paid for interviews!" and still no one made any kind of big deal about it. Whether or not Paddy('s manager) is right to demand payment is a seperate conversation, which could have happened last year, but that's not what's going on with this story.

This is 100% about Paddy telling completely unprovoked and easily disprovable lies about Ariel, and the community laughing at the rake that's smacked him in the face.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

mister posted:

The part I wanted to discuss is the question "should the fighters get paid for doing media?"

There definitely are some ethical issues with paying interviewees, but the idea that they shouldn't be paid because they are already benefiting in exposure doesn't sit well with me. If I have an artist paint a mural on my building, that would also build their profile and brand and could lead to other jobs for them. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't be paid for it.

Because an artist putting a mural on a wall is their job.

There are two ways to make that analogy actually work, which would be:

A) Interview the artist about the mural, which would give them exposure - should they get paid for that? Probably not.

B) Ask fighters to fight in your building's lobby - it's exposure, so should they get paid for that? Of course.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Education and socio-economic background have nothing to do with making poo poo up to assassinate someone's character, and telling the truth is not splitting the atom.

But speaking of which, man Bryce Mitchell is sure on some poo poo. It's such a shame that someone who seems like he could be an otherwise sound fella has been so clearly poisoned by a very specific information virus in a certain media silo.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

BlindSite posted:

It has a whole lot to do with why you'd make poo poo up and lie and think you can get away with it.

That makes no sense. It would be way more likely to see this kind of behaviour in Trump fail-son than in a working class kid from Liverpool.

You can put it down to being fed bad information by bad management, but it still takes a special kind of rear end in a top hat to go out of your way to willingly attack someone for poo poo you know to be false.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Can they not find someone else for Whittaker to fight in Perth?