Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Let West Coast, Best Coast sit forever on this first page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
In news that shocks nobody.

Guardian live blog posted:

Royal commission into robodebt scheme continues
Luke Henriques-Gomes

Damning new evidence presented to the royal commission shows government lawyers warned officials the robodebt scheme may have to be wound up in March 2019, eight months before it was finally stopped.

The March 2019 draft legal advice from the Australian government solicitor was prepared in response to a legal challenge brought by Madeleine Masterton and Victoria Legal Aid. The advice said Masterton had very good prospects of success in her case, because the “income averaging” method central to robodebt was not consistent with the social security act. It noted that while it was commenting on Masterton’s case, the AGS was “conscious it had broader implications”. Yet rather than winding up the scheme or pausing it while the solicitor-general opinion was sought, the Department of Human Services wiped Masterton’s debt two months later, as Guardian Australia revealed at the time. This left Masterton with no case, forcing VLA to find a new plaintiff, which it eventually did. This plaintiff, Deana Amato, won the case in November. Documents shown to the royal commission show the Department of Human Services had wiped Masterton’s debt because it did not want the federal court to make a determination about the legality of the robodebt scheme.

The royal commission was shown an email from DHS chief counsel Tim Ffrench to top DHS official Annette Musolino and compliance general manager Craig Storen. Storen told the royal commission he didn’t necessary know that this advice would mean the scheme would have to stop. The advice wasn’t to me. I was copied into it. I was aware of the general thrust of the advice … I was aware that there was then processes in place to seek a firmer Commonwealth position on the legality of apportionment. Storen was then shown a part of the advice which noted it had “broader implications” beyond the Masterton case. Storen said later he understood the government needed to “consider its position more broadly”. “The Commonwealth was yet to determine its position on where it wanted to take the delivery of the program,” he said.

The royal commission continues.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
fRaNk AnD fEaRlEsS aDvIcE

Guardian AU Blog posted:

A former Department of Social Services official has told a royal commission he was “directed” to water down legal concerns about the robodebt scheme when the policy was been designed in early 2015.

Andrew Whitecross, a former mid-level official at DSS, had been involved in commenting on what became the initial plan for the robodebt scheme that was briefed to the then social services minister Scott Morrison.

The royal commission heard Whitecross and a colleague, Murray Kimber, had fiercely criticised the proposal in January 2015, questioning its legality and fairness as well as the estimated budget savings.

But Whitecross said he was told to water down those concerns by his boss, acting deputy secretary, Catherine Halbert, before the feedback was passed onto the Department of Human Services (DHS), which was formulating the plan.

Whitecross claimed Halbert had said she had spoken to her counterpart at DHS, Malisa Golightly, who had “expressed her concerns about the strength of DSS’ comments”.

“She [Halbert] wanted me to tone down the comments that Murray had provided in his response,” Whitecross said.

“I took it as a direction,” Whitecross added. “We had a disagreement in the conversation about that. I believed the policy wasn’t well developed and lacked merit … and we should be fairly forceful in communicating that.”

Whitecross subsequently provided new comments that watered down the advice, though his revisions still noted the robodebt plan would need legislative change.

Those proposals were sent to Morrison in February 2015 after being finalised by Golightly and the secretary of the department, Kathryn Campbell.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I'm not sure if i'm reading between the lines properly, this is about the AFP being the paramilitary wing of the liberal party again isn't it?

*loud AFP raiding sounds*

What are you talking about, the AFP isn't the paramilitary wing of the LNP!

Now to not post or be seen for months for entirely unrelated reasons that I am legally unable to discuss.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Tulip Market Courses:
Tulip Bulb Certificate
Masters of Bulb Trading
Certificate for Bulbs for Business Development

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Trans-hate candidate that lost in Warringah:
My childhood idol thinks I'm an rear end in a top hat, time to not reexamine myself but whine about it online.

https://twitter.com/jetfury/status/1600760397648330752

:owned:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Woof, worrying to see that online political radicalisation is at the point where people are gunning down cops who are looking for missing people now.

Guardian AU posted:

Wieambilla shooting: property owner Gareth Train posted regularly on conspiracy website before police killed

Exclusive: The brother of missing man Nathaniel Train had posted about preparing an ark and alleging the Port Arthur attack was a ‘false-flag’ operation

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Morrison getting grilled in the royal comission is on now, just as slimy and evasive as you'd expect, but it's nice to see him actually being pressed on his bs.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

It's a bit hacky honestly that the leader of the opposition, who's fash as gently caress and hates trans people also looks like Voldemort.

Like, come on writers room, that's just lazy. Also, read another book.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Recoome posted:

First they came for the bogans, and I did not speak up because I was not a bogan

PAGING BCR TO THE THREAD, PAGING BCR AND THE DEATHCOPTER TO THE THREAD.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Wizard Master posted:

Pls be respectful mate.

That was very respectful. Hasn't even pissed or poo poo on his grave.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Proud evil commie.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jan/13/george-pell-wrote-memo-calling-papacy-of-pope-francis-a-catastrophe

Guardian Au posted:

George Pell wrote memo calling papacy of Pope Francis a ‘catastrophe’

If you're wondering why dead huge piece of poo poo thought the Pope was bad, you'd be correct in assuming it's for "literally all the wrong reasons".

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

froglet posted:

Guess who's pregnant and been taking the stuff to the max this past week coz there's really not much else I can take with this blasted virus or the tonsilitis that took over after?!

... This gal. :dance: :gonk:

:sigh:

Interesting to know, though. :smith:

Congrats Froglet! Look forward to meeting Froglet-let.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Gigantic piece of poo poo Alan Tudge has resigned. Probably off to some cushy job in the private sector

Guardian AU posted:

Pressure had been building on Tudge over the past couple of years. He has faced intense scrutiny over his handling of the robodebt debacle while a minister in the Morrison government, including an appearance before the royal commission last week, and because of an extra-marital relationship with one of his former advisers, Rachelle Miller.

During the grilling last week, Tudge denied he was responsible for his department’s failure to check the legality of the robodebt scheme, telling the royal commission the issue didn’t cross his mind “until I read about it in the newspaper” years later.

Miller last year secured a $650,000 settlement from the commonwealth after filing a complaint with the Department of Finance alleging she endured bullying, harassment and discrimination at work during her time on staff for Tudge and another Liberal frontbencher, Michaelia Cash.

The two former ministers denied the allegations, and no admission of liability was made by the government. Miller was in the House of Representatives chamber on Thursday when Tudge confirmed his resignation.

Just an all around stand up loving bloke. Another who has caused immesasurable immiseration and walks away with no loving consequences whatsoever. I wish him nothing but the worst in all his future endeavours.

EDIT: tl;dr the tudge, the.

hooman fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 10, 2023

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
You know you'd be a pretty nice house if it weren't for your garden. Is that like, intentional?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I would post and bold the particularly poo poo bits, but when it comes to robodebt, that's everything.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/feb/27/alan-tudges-senior-staff-failed-to-ask-about-robodebt-schemes-legality-inquiry-hears

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

imnotinsane posted:

The best part is they did it to save 600k a year when they do over 20 billion in gold sales. Absolutely the dumbest idea ever, why even bother with returns so low and such a great risk.

Business Grindset.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Ah yes Macro Business, its the immigration that's the loving problem, that's the only thing that could be causing this problem and that is the thing we need to address. loving immigration, that's the only loving single god drat thing.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I was under the impression that immigrants live in houses too?

They sure do, and that's literally the only* factor that influences rental prices and supply.

*Excluding all the things which MacroBusiness absolutely refuses to think or talk about.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

What? Macrobusiness has been pretty consistent on this stuff for as long as i've been reading it.

Consistent on which stuff?

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2023/03/rba-crashes-economy-into-wall-of-woke/
Calling things they don't like "woke"?

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2023/03/proof-immigration-is-driving-unemployment-up/
Confusing correlation with causation to push racism?

I've never read macrobusiness before, and these are just two articles from today. I don't feel like I'm cherrypicking here.

I mean, if you're saying that Macrobusiness consistently thinks immigration is bad and will use any excuse to bash it, ok.
But the real consistent thing I see here is absolutely dogshit dogwhistle journalism.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian AU posted:

Department withheld key documents from watchdog that flagged potential illegality of robodebt

The department responsible for implementing the robodebt scheme withheld key documents flagging its potential illegality from an independent watchdog investigating the program, a royal commission has been told.

The commission is seeking to understand the role of the commonwealth ombudsman, whose 2017 report identified a number of flaws in the scheme but stopped short of declaring the “income averaging” debt calculation process unlawful. While giving evidence, the senior assistant ombudsman, Louise Macleod, was shown multiple documents, including emails flagging the scheme was potentially illegal, that she had never seen before.

Surely... surely at some point someone is going to jail.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Cartoon posted:

Already obsolete. Lol.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/oct/05/will-all-submarines-even-nuclear-ones-be-obsolete-and-visible-by-2040

We won't get to see the TOP SECRET minister level breifings that have led to this enormously extravagent spend, but they really, really need to address this issue in some significant detail or it will be money pissed up the wall. It is so foreseeable that you might note that Guardian article is from 2021. And lets not mention our disposal of the associated Nuclear waste, a problem that has been 'considered' by not worrying about it until we actually get some (waste) in 2050. Perhaps the hope is that this will also be subject to inevitable delays so we don't have to come up with a solution for a bit longer. Or maybe we can equivocate about the sovereignty of the waste and tell the yanks/poms it's their problem.

Money... pissed up the wall? for Military Procurement? IN THIS COUNTRY?

Why I never!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

crepeface posted:

dumb oval office

Never have two words contained more truth.

Ranter posted:

A spectre is haunting Asia. The spectre of dumb cunts.

Anidav please do the needful. The thread title needs you.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Pleasant Friend posted:

Paul Keating was Australia's Tony Blair and stanning for him because he makes some lovely anti-american remarks is this thread showing its full rear end.

It's definitely a case of "Heartbreaking: The worst person you know just made a great point".

I'm no Keating fan, but on this he's right. We can have a defensive posture that isn't funnelling money into US weapons manufacturers. How are those F-35s going?

Edit: It's also really funny that whenever someone describes the evils of China you can word replace it and it remains basically accurate for America. Imperial powers gonna act like imperial powers in imperial power shock!

hooman fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 17, 2023

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
^^ I've seen other reports, such as the below:
https://blogs.griffith.edu.au/asiainsights/australia-spent-billions-on-jet-fighters-off-the-plan-now-were-having-trouble-even-flying-them/

In other news, weaselly oval office Jim Chalmers has graced us with this turd.

Guardian Australian posted:

“Australia has a productivity problem,” Chalmers will tell the event, according to advance remarks circulated by his office.
He will tell the Ceda event that national income would have been $4,600 higher in 2020 if productivity had just kept pace with the 60-year average. “If we stay stuck on the current course, the PC projects future incomes will be 40% lower and the working week 5% longer,” Chalmers will say.

Really... will it Jim? If we had only lifted "productivity" (he's conflating multifactor productivity with labour productivity, because labour productivity keeps going up) all our wages would be higher, huh? Ooh and if we don't we'll have to work more or earn less? gently caress, I guess those are the only two loving possible options if workers aren't outputting as much as you demand during a global loving pandemic.

Wait a second, I guess this graph showing labor productivity and wages being disconnected since the 90s (and probably earlier too I just can't find info on it) will just evaporate into nothingness if we did more productivity this time. So this time when productivity goes up wages will go up! We should just entirely disregard the destruction of unions and right to strike and all the evidence we see, because this time will be different, you pinky promise. gently caress you, you disingenous oval office. Go spend another billion on missiles.

EDIT: Graph source: https://australiainstitute.org.au/post/real-wages-have-not-kept-up-with-productivity/

hooman fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 17, 2023

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Budzilla posted:

I would say it is too "light"

I think you should look around and see that 5th generation fighters (and all modern military products for that matter) for everyone have been a huge resource drain.

What defensive posture would you suggest? Keating isn't taking into account expansionist policies pursued by China and this will alienate Australia if we follow his advice. Yeah, Australia has had lovely foreign policy(especially E.Timor) in the past but that doesn't mean much larger countries can't be worse than us.

Is there any amount of military procurement that will result in Australia winning a war with China?

I guess this is fundamentally a philosophical question rather than a policy one. Either we throw billions at weapons at the beck and call of the US to aid their posturing against China, or we say "lol" and keep good trade and relations with China and act as an economic partner (note partner) in South East Asia.

We are entering an economically bipolar world, from an economically unipolar one. Possibly even tripolar depending on what the eurozone does. So doing only US lead military procurement seems a far worse defence strategy than, if we take the military defence view of "we buy poo poo so we don't get invaded, not because it will actually stop anyone who really wants to try", spreading out our bribes between the US, EU and China.

hooman fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Mar 17, 2023

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Recoome posted:

Also [SERIOUS] question here, how does the government expect anyone with a HECS debt to pay off the loan with the 2023 indexation looking like 7.19%? The increase for me will be about 7k this year which means I'm effectively dead in the water as that is slightly more than I contribute in a year.

Short answer: They do not.

Liberal governments have consistently increased the cost of education to the people being educated as well as making the terms of indexation on the loans more onerous. Labor have failed to undo the changes while in power. So our public education system that supports anyone getting a higher education is slowly being eroded (same as our public healthcare system) into haves (can pay outright) and can (will be paying it off forever) and have nots (off to the fruit picking mines with you lazy proles).

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Budzilla posted:

Australia and China aren't the only countries in the world and if there is a war between the two you can be sure as poo poo others will be involved.

This is my point. Our defensive strategy relies not on military procurement but on creating strong bonds with nations that could crush us, so that they have an incentive to protect us if someone else decides to get grabby. With that in mind why are we only yoking ourselves to the US and why are we funnelling huge amounts of money to them while antagonising China?

EoinCannon posted:

It's pretty good that the terfs are being publicly lumped in with the Nazis and a liberal politician (who is now facing an expulsion vote) in Victoria.

I'm not even sure "lumped in" is the right description, the terf to fasc pipeline is pretty well developed.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Lmao that the Labor finance minister is now starting to softly walk back minimum wage rising in line with inflation.

God, they haven't learned a loving thing.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

freebooter posted:

The difference is that only one of these countries' governments will permit you to publish a book, a newspaper article or even a Twitter post about its historical and ongoing atrocities.

Because (see above) the US is a free country that shares our liberal values, while China is a totalitarian dictatorship.

If the US and China go to war and the US loses - and assuming this outcome somehow avoids a nuclear holocaust anyway - the future is going to become bleaker for Australia irrespective of whether we have or have not "antagonised" China by picking the other side in a conflict. That's the same reason Japan, South Korea and many countries in SE Asia are also strengthening ties with the US, and the same reason Poland and the Baltics are the most vocal European supporters of Ukraine.

Ok, lets take a totally cynical route with no judgement about which is better out of the US and China, (I personally agree that it's probably the US, but also lmao that every criticism you levelled at China can equally be levelled at the USA, not to mention the military adventurism of the US in the middle east).

Shouldn't we hedge our bets by placating both? Then no matter who wins or comes out on top, we've got a big friend? Because fundamentally Australia's support is not going to be critical to any theoretical war effort (which I don't believe is a realistic probability).

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Budzilla posted:

Read the Wikileaks file I linked a few days ago, it explains Australia's problems of security ties vs economic ties. While it does not explain everything and if you can't be bothered to read it I will summarise. China sells a lot of stuff to the world including the US but Australia is one of the few countries with a trade surplus with China. However world shipping is secured by the US and its massive navy so we need them to keep the shipping lanes open or if they decide to close shipping lanes to China then Australia and China will both be hosed. China is causing problems in the SCS and its fishing fleet doing illegal fishing in territorial waters of other countries, this is pissing off everyone and is causing them to turn to the US security umbrella. If the US decides or is persuaded by other countries to do "something" and we are all in with China for security we won't have a say to ask the US to keep our interests in mind.

Thanks, I missed that in the thread and will hunt it down and give it a read. This is an actually persuasive argument about our security position, dealing with economic and political realities rather than Booo China bad, USA GOOD FREEDOM DEMOCRACY!

EDIT: Also to be clear I'm not at all advocating all in for China, but for being slightly less all in for US to our own detriment.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

freebooter posted:

Having a big "friend" which is also a totalitarian dictatorship would not bode well for Australia's long-term future. But you obviously aren't going to agree with that line of thinking if you also believe America is only marginally better than China.

I'm not trying to have a go at you here, but America has the largest prison population in the world by raw numbers and 6th now by % all of whom are legally allowed to be enslaved to capital. 698/100,000. China meanwhile sits at 91/100,000, very close to Australia at 92/100,000.

American also has the nightmare of death by cop, 1000 people per year. ~3.5 per million residents. The only one in the top 10 that isn't a "developing" country. Australia 0.17. I can't find any stats for China so I'm not willing to take that one was a big L for the old USA but hoo boy.

China is totalitarian, but the USA has full 2 party agreement on brutal border policies, and not holding police accountable, and allowing pharmaceutical companies to extort people for their very lives, with an electoral system that basically ensures it's only ever R or D holding the helm. When your only two parties don't differ on a whole huge swathe of policy where is the actual choice? It's the old joke that "The United States is also a one-party state but, with typical American extravagance, they have two of them." (note Democrats are significantly better than republicans on the small areas of difference, eg. womens rights, though they fail to effectively defend them, and LGBT rights.) A heap of poo poo that Trump was loudly (and rightly) criticised for doing, Biden has simply kept in place.

Like I get that the US has been propagandising us for years, and I personally feel revulsion towards making this point because of how democracy good communism bad brain poisoned I recognise that I am. Yeah China has absolutely committed atrocities, probably genocides, it's belligerent and expansionist and a threat to it's neighbours but my god, have you looked at anythign the USA has been doing for the last 40 years. How many countries have the CIA explicitly or implicitly couped? How much power does the USA have to offload its inflation problem to everyone else through rate rises? How about political prisoners in the US, except it's not for their views it's about threatening corporate domincance or the military industrial complex. Look at what's happened to Steven Donzinger for daring to hold Chevron accountable for dumping chemicals and poisoning land. gently caress man, look at the train derailments and poisoning their own citizens, the lead in the water. America is not and has never been a bastion of human rights.

Have you ever actually travelled to or worked in China? How about the rest of South East Asia? Have you worked in or been to the USA?
If you honestly asked me if I would felt safer working the USA or working in China, I'd rather go back to China.

You are totally free to disagree, like if you've been to and worked in both as well and say, "nah I felt way safer in America" that's fine and I respect that, but please don't pretend that American Imperialism is somehow fundamentally different to Chinese Imperialism. Both are hosed and dogshit and both should end, but they won't, so here we are.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

9 years on, just as relevant as ever.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

freebooter posted:

Yes to all three except working. I've worked in South Korea and the UK but nowhere else (except Aus obviously).

In terms of personal safety I feel safer e.g. walking down the street in China (and also pretty much anywhere else in East Asia) than in the US.

In terms of feeling safe from the government, or picking a country to raise my children in while imagining what that country might look like by 2040 or 2050, America by a country mile. (And Australia above America by another country mile).

I think it's telling that you rattle off the Howard Zinn view of America without a direct comparison to China. Do you think police in China are "accountable"? Do think China doesn't have a problem with lead in the water and poison in the air? Do you think the factory and sweatshop workers of China aren't also "enslaved to capital"?

The difference - as I said earlier - is that we can have this very debate on a website forum hosted in the United States. We wouldn't be able to in China.

At least we agree on the feeling of personal safety. Again, I'm hardly a China booster, things like uprooting entire communities and flooding them out are nightmares. Hiding their own ecological disasters and slave conditions are absolutely true. However they also haven't started a bunch of hellwars in the middle east and overthrown a bunch of other governments. Like I said, imperial powers gonna imperial.

China is a lot more direct in the censorship of the media rather than the US's indirectness. However when you look at the influence that the government has over places like twitter and facebook in terms of saying what can and can not be published, and what is classified as "misinformation" the US is definitely tending towards the China's current policies, especially in republican controlled states. I mean even the TaxMan (Rip in piss) got visits from the US government if what goons were saying got too spicy. So while I agree the US is "better" it is a matter of degrees rather than a fundamental difference.

If I wanted to have kids, and had to raise them in the USA in 2040, or China in 2040, I'd probably pick China, on the school shooting basis alone. I am also thankful as gently caress I live in Australia.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

What if Dom's wife dies but she becomes part of Unit 1 and Dom gets caught using taxpayer money on the human instrumentality project?

Porkbarreling a human instrumentality project.

Get in the loving Dubbo Shinji.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

freebooter posted:

This is just sheer whataboutism. Everything is always a matter of degrees, but the "degrees" in question here are basically at opposite ends of the scale. The US ranks 42nd in the Press Freedom ranking, while China is an abysmal 175th (almost dead last). The US is not disappearing booksellers or shutting down newspapers or routinely censoring vast swathes of the internet. The idea that there's any equivalency whatsoever between the US and China when it comes to freedom of speech (or lack thereof) is farcical.

No poo poo sherlock! Yes I am literally discussing the things that the USA does because, holy gently caress, you posted this:

freebooter posted:

Because (see above) the US is a free country that shares our liberal values, while China is a totalitarian dictatorship.

I am providing evidence that the US is not a "free" country and absolutely does not share our liberal values. In fact the USA does not give a single poo poo about liberal values in spite of the things that they do better than China. Should I argue that China shares our liberal values because they haven't started a bunch of hellwars that the USA has? Because they aren't currently supporting a genocide in Yemen? Because they aren't best friends with MBS who had a journalist sawed to pieces? Must be a bunch of shared loving liberal values there. (China is doing a bunch of different dogshit things!)

Oooh loving press censorship, Australia has no formal press censorship, and yet shockingly, nearly all our press is dogshit bootlicking anyway! Stenographers, dogwhistles and ad copy disguised as news. There's the vast majority of all press in Australia. Concentration of press ownership censors our press for us instead of the state doing it.

Which would you pick, no healthcare or no press freedom? I know which one will personally kill me a fuckload faster.

EDIT:
Have you forgotten "Australia Needs Tony" or this garbage, our very free and fair press.

hooman fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 23, 2023

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

freebooter posted:

Telling the Hong Kong protesters about how we have it pretty bad too because of that awful Murdoch fella

Answer the question.

hooman posted:

Which would you pick, no healthcare or no press freedom?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

we just need a forum for arguing about which country is worse so the worst posters from dnd and the worst posters from cspam don't poo poo up every thread in both forums with it

We both agree China is worse, and we're both from D&D though.

The only difference is that one of us believes the USA holds liberal values.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

freebooter posted:

I would pick press freedom/freedom of speech, because at least then you can agitate for healthcare. I would rank it above all other freedoms for the same reason.

Now in turn, please answer in which country you'd prefer to:

- marry a member of the same sex
- practice whichever religion you like
- apply for and be granted a passport without restrictions
- move to another province or city without losing access to public services
- write a letter to the editor of a newspaper denouncing the government
- Read Wikipedia

1. Lol, lmao. I wouldn't do any of that chief. I'd be dead.

2. No argument you make against China, which I agree is bad, proves this case:

freebooter posted:

Because (see above) the US is a free country that shares our liberal values

If you want to retract that statement, that's fine. I'll stop arguing with you.
If you want to amend it to "American imperial dominance is preferable to Chinese imperial dominance", sure, I'll agree with you.
But if you want to support this statement, you specifically have to talk about America, being free, and sharing our liberal values.