Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Ranter posted:

Why is ETH better?

Web3, metaverse, blockchain, NFT. Future, tesla, AI, bots, #nowork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
It's been awhile since I last asked, but what is the Greens position on the Voice?

The longer the debate goes on, the more it seem they are on a unity ticket with Dutton and Abbott?

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

There goes Lydia.

lol

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

its actually very on brand to protest police presence at pride fwiw

What does a youth support groups float have to do with it though?

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-08-06/pm-warns-no-constitutional-indigenous-recognition-if-voice-fails/102693828

This is awful - agree or not there are more nuanced reasons people are not supporting the voice than just racism/not wanting any kind of recognition - this all or nothing approach is the worst possible messaging

Working with Pauline, Dutton and the Nats to vote no and encouraging people to vote no is the worst possible messaging.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

https://ulurustatement.org/the-statement/view-the-statement/

It really isn't.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Bald Stalin posted:

Someone didn't read the BPU statement lol

I'm actually curious, why does that statement carry more weight in your decision making when compared to the Statement from the Heart? One of if not the largest consensus statement of First Nations groups?

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Bald Stalin posted:

Why do you think a small group of people picked by the colonizers, ruling class and their collaborators, at a meeting from which some walked away, to ask for something that won't help the first nations plight and instead set back the cause, should trump the correct analysis given by the BPU and ACP?

Hold up. That opening sentence is a doozy.

I'll leave it at that.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

saying the statement from the heart was a consensus is kind of telling on yourself for not actually giving a poo poo about this because it was actually notable because it was not a consensus and a lot of the black people arguing for no were in fact part of that group that disagreed with the minutae of what it entailed

As the largest consensus of First Nations peoples on a proposal for substantive recognition in Australian history, the road to the Uluru Statement from the Heart is a long one even without mentioning the decades of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander activism that came before it.

True. I got that bit wrong. There was a small group of dissenting voices, as there always are.

But again, if the majority agreed on the wording in the statement. In your decision making on how youre going to vote, what puts their voices behind a smaller groups who dissented/walked out?

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like a lot of people I was eh on the voice til I saw all the worst people in the country furiously frothing against it.

As long as you tell people its a progressive no, it's different. Write in "progressive" above the No on the ballot and theyll have to count the votes as Yes/No/Progressive No.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

remember: better things are not possible, so why even try

If the question put was in line with the progressive no position, would you vote yes or would you want to have even better wording and vote no because things can always be better.

EvilElmo fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 7, 2023

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

JBP posted:

Labor really want it to get up, they're just doing a bad job. They think a four week super push will do it. I think a year of poison might win.

E: like they actually expected some kumbayah come to Jesus style thing to happen. Johnny Australia says nah me mortgage.

At the beginning of the campaign the Greens were telling their supporters they will probably vote no and should vote no because the voice is poo poo. We had awkward silence from the Greens leadership. It took months until they finally had a position on it, split and in the process lost their Aboriginal affairs spokesperson to the crossbench.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

ShoeFly posted:

No it’s the Greens’ fault that the government hasn’t been able to communicate anything

Greens haven't been saying much. Last media release I can find was on page 9 of their media releases back on 19 June. It is easy to say "drat Labor getting their message wrong and ruining the campaign!" When the Greens aren't campaigning.

https://greens.org.au/news/media-release/voice-campaign-begins-sovereignty-motion-passes-senate

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Greens fold and pass the HAFF.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
I'm advocating everyone vote no because it doesn't go far enough.

Also, if the result is no, Australia is racist.

I'm honestly confused by the progressive no camp.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

GoldStandardConure posted:

Went and voted today, but did not engage with any of the HTV people as I don't give a gently caress about insane people and their cooked pamphlet for idiots.

The cookers with their HTVs are the path to yes winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Mola Yam posted:

BRS at least had the support of the psycho "soldiers can never do anything wrong" crowd.

No one's going to go to bat for this guy.

No surprise you don't read The Australian, but yeah, they are.