Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Blockchain has applications outside cryptocoin, especially in supply chain.

When you use it outside of the cryptocoin bullshit you can probably use the name it was given in the 70s - Merkle tree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

MikeJF posted:

Are they going to make it so you don't have to pay full and get some back and instead just have to pay the remainder?

I always figured that was left that way as a gentle nudge to encourage bulk billing

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Not to be cynical but it's probably just the big pharmacy chains trying to stop the supermarkets undercutting them with the 50c packets of cheap store brand paracetamol.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

MikeJF posted:

That bullshit shouldn't even be legal to sell it's so much of a fraud. Just putting something that does absolutely nothing out and claiming it's real medicine. Not even herbal or anything.

Agreed
I've even had pharmacy employees try to give it to me when I've explicitly asked for pseudoephedrine.

The other one that bugs me is that pharmacies will sell homeopathic "drugs" and even recommend them. This should be something that gets them slapped the gently caress down by their governing body at the very least.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

The reserve bank sending us into a recession because taxing wealthy people is off the table is the crisis that will play into the coalition's hands.

But if they keep denying climate and bashing trans people I don't think it'll help as much as they need

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I think what they meant was that a "bigger tank" is expanding the relatively simple part of the system rather than the expensive high technology bit.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

MikeJF posted:

I do have to wonder what the cost efficiency of a hydrogen plant is when we still have hydro that hasn't been converted to act as grid storage. Isn't that massively more economical and easier?

Doesn't conversion to pumped hydro require two reservoirs to work
I assume it's a significant undertaking to build a lake below an existing hydro dam

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Given Coles and Woolies rely on a lot of minimum wage staff they could kill a few birds with one stone and make minimum wage way more livable.
Don't listen to the dipshits that say that will cause inflation

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Thanks to whoever bought my new less-scary Dutton avatar,

I'm starting to wonder if the Trump avatar I won in this thread a couple of years ago is starting to get cringey enough to open my wallet to remove

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Eediot Jedi posted:

Ah, but if you were a tradie, you wouldn't have a HELP debt.

Didn't they change that so that VET courses could be put on hecs?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Red onion makes it significantly harder

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Basically you've summed up why referendums normally don't get up

Even though we haven't seen the question you can be loving absolutely certain that the nuance required to make any sort of informed decision will be completely absent from the 2-3 single sentence yes/no questions posed on the ballot. Most people go "gently caress change, vote for status quo".

The other side is that if people say no then the reality will be that any action on Aboriginal representation, no matter how small, will be fought against by racists because "the matter is settled".

Even if what we get is some vague limp wording in the constitution from a yes vote then that's a shitload better than what we have now where a bunch of old rich white fuckheads argue amongst themselves. In the long run having any sort of hard to remove say in government will allow for other changes to be made to improve aboriginal representation.

At the end of the day any constitutional change made by this won't be the exact form of the voice. Whatever wording goes into the constitution will leave enough leeway for the final rules and makeup to be decided by legislation or convention.

Note - I'm a relatively privileged white guy and my goal isn't really to push you one way or another, I just know that it's likely this is a once in a generation chance to make this kind of change

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Being better than United is a loving low bar.

Basically I'm saying that's a lot of words to say Qantas did the bare minimum.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Konomex posted:

Why not just put a road tax on tyres? They'll wear evenly for electric and fuel vehicles. And the more you drive, the more they'll wear down. The heavier your vehicle, the more they'll wear down.

The set of tyres that came with our car lasted about 60,000km
To be equivalent to the Victorian EV tax that would be adding $600 to each one.... It would basically wind up being the equivalent to increasing stamp duty by $2400 since most first owners likely sell their car around the 5year mark, often before the replacement point of the OEM tyres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Konomex posted:

Alright, clearly you've all put a lot more thought and effort into understanding the intricacies of tyres than I. I don't think using the existing tax system is a great idea though, rich fuckers rort it constantly. The point of the fuel excise was to match payment to use, how do you track electric vehicles usage other than straight up tracking chips?

How were Victoria going to charge their km tax?

From what i understand they were just going to make it an honour system thing which is far easier than some tax on a consumable that isn't really frequently consumed.