Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brain Candy posted:

my feedback is i don't want cspam to be 'nice' or d&d but for dsa members and it seems like there's a decorum push that's making a desert and calling it peace

fact check: this is objectively true. :) :)

random representative sample: bans & permas of cspam and gbs posters during the recent crackdown on both ukraine war threads from 10/16/22 to 11/11/22. both threads got closed at around the same time for ostensibly similar reasons (bloodlust, psycho posting, attacking other forums, etc etc). didn't know who every poster was, don't care

cspam:
bans: 14
permabans: 8
total # bans: 22

gbs:
bans: 7
permabans: 2
total # bans: 9

guess the subforum by the banned post

“.” posted:

They're a bunch of rapists and murderers and deserve nothing but painful and humiliating death.

I hope their parents die of grief.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
___GBS___

. posted:

even calling it the holodomor without ironic quotes is pretty offensive and platforms nazis tbh

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
__cspam__

. posted:

Don’t say that! With a bit of luck, they’ll all freeze to death.

___GBS___

. posted:

it rules that the thing they're glossing over as 'fixed in the 1920s and 2002' is literal laws making the entire state white only under penalty of lynchings, never let a pine tree humping smug lib pretend their state isn't one of the most cartoonishly racist in the country

__cspam__

“.” posted:

:yeshaha:

If you can't behave abroad go get turned into red mist in Ukraine.

___GBS___

. posted:

Europe can't collapse fast enough

I don't care about your stupid Polish grandma, she was probably a nazi

__cspam__

. posted:

orcspam needs to be shutdown and its posters need to have their hollowdomes filled with good strong azov lead

___GBS___

. posted:

the only thing about my actual behavior you could point to were two posts on the discord from two months ago where i stated my opinions on NATO involvement in Ukraine, which some people like the ukraine stan guy whose name i forget got angry about, so i never talked about it ever again. and neither did anyone else, to my knowledge anyway

you made this a political affair, as you said the problem was my personal political beliefs. i don't really know how to describe what kind of problem an actively enforced political shibboleth is for an organization of internet spaceship nerds

but, i won eve already, so anyway

__cspam__

in conclusion:
+400% more permabans and +244% more total bans were handed out against cspammers for what are obviously far less egregious cspam posts. this reflects an obvious biased moderation trend towards banning cspammers. in conclusion: release all cspam political prisoners (please and thank you) :) :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KirbyKhan posted:

Great reporting work. Free sexpig. Free cumshitter

release the sexpig PMs :) :)

speng31b posted:

to be fair, a big part of this is cspam's fault. when the big "neutral review" came it had been (for both cspam mods and posters) in vogue for a very long time to take a very "we're the cool kids, let them scream in qcs" attitude about the u/r drama.

the problem is, that attitude only works if you actually aren't being baited by GBS freaks into increasingly deranged takes. and the stuff the cspam people caught punishments for was pretty legit punishable in most cases.

if you ask me the gibbering snuff film lunatics who doxxed or threatened to doxx several people were of course "worse," but that comparison doesn't really matter because they're different subs with different standards.

my take after getting some distance is it probably would have been better to admit earlier that thread needed heavier handed moderation for the "im here to say how i want tankies to die" style of stuff earlier, instead of just "let them post it out until they melt down".

:wrong: i didn't want to make a long boring post even longer but nope, there were far more banworthy posts in GBS than in CSPAM, but the vast majority of the GBS ones simply resulted in a short probe and the mod telling them to pause their most racist screeds temporarily. :) :)

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crusty Nutsack posted:

gladly. they were up for a perma at one point for it but it apparently never happened, even though some of us thought it was going to. I will ban+30 that poo poo all day if I see it again

that’s odd. why are so many cspam posters up for permas? :) :)

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cspam’s a lot bigger than gbs, but not 400% bigger, so the number of permabans handed out to cspammers seem a little excessive. like sexpig, for a good example. :) :)

i thought about analyzing how many of the cspam bans and permas in that sample were for “lifetime achievement” ban reasons, while very few (none?) of the GBS bans were given out for that reason, but I got lazy :)

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crusty Nutsack posted:

your dumb forum wars brain is so strong that you seem like you're advocating for keeping the user who loves to talk about how all dogs should be murdered around

shut up

ya i thought so too which is why I went back and double-checked the data. nope, objectively 400% more permabans for cspammers :) :)

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

redneck nazgul posted:

refusing to use buttons and moderator authority except in the obvious cases of rulebreaking or when another forum piles in to gawk is how cspam managed to achieve all of the following:

a dipshit in an elementary waving a razor blade for vlog clout when he wasn't noticeably increasing the forums revenue by plastering his face everywhere
a thread that radicalized the scourge of pacific northwestern proud boy toes
a goonfund run by the laziest possible person instead of being given parameters before it was allowed to not be gassed on sight
a "containment" thread for baiting people into arguing with the most tedious and contrarian centrist takes since the media literacy thread

and the takeaway from all of this is "no, mods should use their buttons less and just let posters riff it out"

the mods are too darn busy to do any of those things they’ve got their hands full permabanning sexpig for no reason :) :)

“there must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect” -some admin

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr Hootington posted:

Which is the "containment" thread?

the one full of d&d mods, op

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr Hootington posted:

What threads do you post in?

i don’t post much anymore. jeff keeps banning me for not being nice enough :) :)

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Weka posted:

Been thinking this myself.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
azathoth, can you weigh in on why so many more cspammers have been getting banned? it seems like an obvious trend (+400%), but so far only crusty nutsack has chosen to comment on the situation (by denying it exists).

your feedback would be very much appreciated. :) :)

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
or please feel free to post the sexpig pms. either is fine

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Azathoth posted:

That is my memory of how it shook out, though we didn't have a goal of "one for one" at any point. We read the threads and came up with what we came up with based on the posts people made, not out of some weird desire for parity.

I thought that it roughly ended up being about even on permas and more bans for the GBS thread, with the GBS thread getting more if anything, but I'm phoneposting so I couldn't easily trawl the Leper's Colony looking for it.

I can understand people wanting to view it as one "side" getting off easy (which I'm guessing GBS thinks about C-SPAM too but whatever) but the idea that GBS and C-SPAM are at war was the same bullshit dynamic that made the thread into such a problem. Each thread had problems, we addressed the C-SPAM one and as near as I can tell the GBS one got addressed too. It just so happened that we had roughly equal permas and GBS got a couple more bans.

Azathoth posted:

Ah, my bad, I read Fly Molo's posts as implying exactly that and felt the need to refute the assertion.

az, i sincerely hope your job has nothing to do with numbers, or you're just having an off day. again, just for the record:

cspam:
bans: 14
total # bans: 22

gbs:
bans: 7
permabans: 2
total # bans: 9

that's +200% more bans for cspam and +400% more permabans. if you recall it was around equal and gbs got slightly more bans, your recollection is completely wrong. speculation about the reason why cspammers keep getting banned so much more often is beyond the scope of what i'm allowed to discuss, but the difference in outcomes is a plain material fact. :) :)

Weka posted:

That's the operation Jeff keeps performing.

exactly. every time i get banned it just makes me nicer :) :)

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brain Candy posted:

my man, there doesn't have to be anyone going 'nyah nyah i'm going to go get those cspamers' in some elaborate plot and nothing mentioned requires one. please be a materialist

imagine a situation with two police districts, and one has 400% more arrests than the other. now if you ask anyone who is working in either of the districts they don't twiddle their mustache (because cop mustache's are too short) and they don't necessarily think they are doing anything differently if you asked them, just making calls based on what they actually see

but the 400% happens for reasons that have largely nothing to do with the individual qualities or virtues of the people making the decisions in the moment. this is how police think they aren't racist even as they arrest way more Black people, because liberalism has done this cool slight of hand where you're supposed to evaluate what you feel or believe instead of what you do

literally no one has to actually think the thought 'i should come down harder on x or balance with y' for that to be the practical result

tbh it's frustratingly difficult to discuss any such problems like this with the mods. even if multiple posters comment on problem moderation, the mods usually ignore the feedback or say they're on vacation or phoneposting, that's too much work to figure out, they'll check later. if you go the extra mile, gather the numbers, and do all of the legwork, they just ignore it. or say "no, that's not what happened."

idk how to discuss a problem if they won't even admit that a problem exists

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Azathoth posted:

For the record, I was only referring to the big wave of bans and probes that we did, not to the life of the thread or whatever longer timetable you are using. I also have no interest in comparing numbers even if you list the times and bans, because I don't really care how GBS mods or doesn't mod. I'm not gonna put through more or less bans or probes because they put through more or less, and comparing the two is useless because of it.

but you’re an admin? you should care how other forums moderate. unless you’re a cspam-only admin, that’s absolutely within your purview. that’s certainly not how other admins act.

okay, that’s very disappointing to hear but thank you for the honest answer. i don’t know how moderation on SA will ever improve if the old bad lowtax standard of “mods can do whatever they want in their feifs, I don’t care if problems exist, I just don’t ever want to hear about them” is still the SOP. if we can’t discuss or compare moderation itt and you don’t care what we think, all bans are justified, then what is there to provide feedback about? :) :)

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and sorry, if you’re still confused about what timetable I was discussing it’s listed in my first post. god bless :) :)

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Azathoth posted:

I am not obligated to care about GBS and I stopped reading threads there quite a while ago when the OSHA and Schadenfreude threads got boring. If a GBS mod needs help with something, I'm happy to oblige, usually running a longer probe or ban, I'm happy to look it over but otherwise no, I mostly stick to politics forums. It isn't exactly helpful for me to have in depth opinions on how to moderate somewhere I don't really post.

As for feedback, I do listen to your feedback, but just because you have a particular perspective, that does not mean that I must automatically agree. I will always consider what you have to say but I'm sorry, I just don't find your arguments compelling.

you misread my post 3 times then ended the discussion with “I don’t care, no comparison is valid” so what is there to discuss? poster feedback doesn’t matter, the bans will continue until morale improves.

this is an excellent example of how mod feedback typically goes:

Azathoth posted:

Ah, my bad, I read Fly Molo's posts as implying exactly that and felt the need to refute the assertion.

posters assertions that a problem exists get ignored or refuted, and the feedback ends. no problems get fixed, which is why the moderation on SA is so dysfunctional. :) :)

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brain Candy posted:

you can't, unfortunately

you're asking someone to re-evaluation something they already think they know. and that only happens after overwhelming evidence, typically over a long time. partly because if it wasn't true your mind would be so open the wind would whistle through it and partly because at the physical level that takes significant energy to rewire everything; it literally makes people tired, which is just the feeling you get when you evaluate something as taking too much energy to do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN8Z7y_QcwE

tbh I’m beginning to wonder if that’s just a systemic problem with how SA moderation is structured. going back to the lowtax era, posters get ignored by mods, mods get ignored by admins, and admins get ignored by the head admin until obvious problems become huge festering shitshows. one-person irregular authoritarian decision-making processes mean any serious reassessment or changes are reliant on one person changing their mind again and again, which is exhausting and unpleasant, so the system trends towards policy stagnation and conservatism. :) :)

i don’t remember the exact line, but in a history podcast about the collapsing Ming dynasty it was something like “nothing was so corrosive for the regime’s legitimacy as the wild swings between absentee rulers and sudden poorly-considered kneejerk responses.”

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vyelkin posted:

I'm not sure how you compiled these numbers but I'd rather this 400% number doesn't enter forums lore forever so I'm happy to ask you to elaborate a little here.

As far as I can tell you've picked a time period that roughly coincides with the Ukraine-related ban wave and then tallied every ban in CSPAM and GBS for that time period, even if they have nothing to do with Ukraine. That's the only way I can come up with numbers close to the ones you got for bans in CSPAM at least (if I compare just bans in Ukraine threads, I get much lower numbers), but it's not a great way to compare moderation in the two forums, let alone compare them like for like on a specific issue like Ukraine, as your post implies. But even then, if you count all the bans in each forum from October 16th to November 11th, these are the numbers I got:

CSPAM:
bans: 18

GBS:
bans: 11
permabans: 6

In CSPAM, in addition to bans related to Ukraine, those numbers include bans or permabans over goonfund drama, making lovely posts about domestic violence, telling others to kill themselves, transphobia, advocating violence, hoping for the deaths of others' children, and whatever this is. I don't think all of that should be lumped in with Ukraine-related quotes to suggest that all the numbers you compiled arise from the Ukraine ban wave.

In addition, those numbers are counting reregs of permabanned users, which I think is the only way you can get to 8 permabans in CSPAM for that time period. Likewise, the 6 I found in GBS include a number of Seraph accounts for example. If you exclude rereg accounts when counting permabans, for that time period I count 5 in CSPAM and 2 in GBS, which means you're comparing the total including rereg bans in CSPAM with only the unique permabans in GBS. If you compare just the results of the Ukraine-related ban wave in early November, I think the numbers are 4 bans and 2 permabans in GBS and 2 bans and 3 permabans in CSPAM. Two of CSPAM's 5 unique permabans during your chosen time period were unrelated to Ukraine posting.

If I count just bans in Ukraine threads alone, I count 7 bans (1 of which was rescinded) and 4 permabans (1 of which was a rereg account) in the CSPAM thread in your chosen time period, and 8 bans and 2 permabans in the GBS thread.

You've also been here long enough to know that a permaban is rarely just for one post, and you must have read the Leper's Colony to compile those numbers so you know that the descriptions Jeffrey wrote for the Ukraine bans were very clear that they were for longer patterns of posting rather than for the individual posts that you quoted.

If the ultimate point here is that GBS and CSPAM have different moderating standards then I would answer yes, they do, because they're different forums with different posts, different rules, and different mods. I think I would need more than this to agree that the only explanation is biased moderation.

why bother spending any more time discussing this? the admin already weighed in and said any such comparison is invalid and all of the cspam bans were justified on their own merits. :) :)

it’s time to move on, heal, and reset the clock

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

speng31b posted:

i mean, if you actually want to litigate the legitimacy of any of those punishments this is the thread for it. i don't speak for the mods but i don't think anyone would stop you or argue that's an invalid topic.

just stop pointing at GBS and reminding everyone there are bloodthirsty liberals there. it's obvious enough

what would be the point? azathoth already said he disagrees with my feedback and isn’t open to reconsidering sexpig’s perma. I’ve gotta do the nice thing and respect his decision. :) :)

Azathoth posted:

lmao trying to hide behind my legs is seriously the best response you've got to that?

oh now you can count

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

speng31b posted:

i've probably been the loudest and most annoying complainer about people posting war snuff (Az can confirm, I'll even share my shame and admit I've sent him a bunch of extremely annoying PMs about it). I think it loving sucks and I wish admins would get their poo poo together and finally make a hard and fast global forums rule against this absolutely deranged garbage.

but that still doesn't mean people in cspam who did deranged poo poo should get lesser punishments just because GBS mods decided to protect some of their freak squad from what should have happened. the two are unrelated

the anonymized posts quoted in my first post itt do a pretty good job showing the comparison between the two. here's one of the GBS superstars, for example:

jazzyhattrick posted:

They're a bunch of rapists and murderers and deserve nothing but painful and humiliating death.

I hope their parents die of grief.

the previous two entries in his or her rapsheet are:

jazzyhattrick posted:

I for one am glad of this disgusting man's misery. My only regret is that his wife and other children weren't also in the car when it exploded.

jazzyhattrick posted:

Not that it wouldn't be extremely cool and good for this tereible woman to be repeatedly shot in the face, but the kid should probably find out what kind of assets she has and the terms of her will before calling the cops. It can be kind of tricky to recover a debt from a corpse.

which earned a total of 18 hours probation between them. i think there's an obvious distinction between complete bloodthirsty psychos like jazzyhattrick being treated with kid gloves (ultimately resulting in a ban, not a perma) and the many banned cspammers in that same time period. here's one:

OK baizuo posted:

Russian war crimes are as real as the Ghost of Kiev

with a lepers colony entry of:

quote:

Between this and your old account, Zeno-25, you sure do love denying war crimes. This is not just about the post here but about the pattern of your posting over the course of the war. The forums are better without your posting, gently caress off forever.
if you don't see the difference between the bloodthirsty psycho getting off with a few probes then a regular ban, and the poster catching a lifetime achievement permaban for a joke, then i don't know what to say. out of the bans & permas i counted up earlier, I count a total of 6 bans/permas against cspammers that list their post history, rap sheet, or lifetime achievement as a reason in the LC entry, but only 1 GBS perma that even mentions their posting history. it really comes across like the admins are hate-lurking more cspam posts while they can't be bothered to read posts in other forums, for some reason. :shrug:

but again, what's the point discussing this? all comparisons are invalid, every forum is an island. :) :)

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

lol fly molo you are definitely getting banned again

ftfy, it’s just a question of when jeff decides to ban me again. getting into spreadsheets of ban dreasons with dreylad would only accelerate that process. jeff’s been pissed off at me ever since I made a fuss about him calling nichael and wampalord homophobes, or when I kept bringing up his post in defense of PPJ saying that “informants like this” are what keeps SA safe in off-site spaces. little details like that bother me and I’m an annoying spergy prick, idk.

last time he waited surprisingly long before going for his treats, maybe this time I’ll last til new years. :) :)

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sexpig was a much better poster than me, I’m shocked that he’s permabanned and I’m not. if I could trade places with him, I would. same goes for thatfatkid, the white hand, OK baizo, steinrokkan, or the many other good cspam posters on that list.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nice av btw

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mawarannahr posted:

SPR is fit to be a moderator due to failing to model good behavior and committing button abuse in the Glenn thread so that's two good reasons to make her CSPAM's next mod.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cspam needs a mask mandate

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AnimeIsTrash posted:

did the math and it looks like 4003% of the probes in pyf are on cspam users, and 1056% of the probes in pyf are on non cspam users

this

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

docbeard posted:

didn't calculate

vyelkin:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

some plague rats posted:

yes i would be honored

congratudolences to cspam's newest mod

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lobster shirt posted:

spending 30 dollars to argue with the mods

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

these alleged messages werent ever mentioned until there was pushback on the permaban, at first it was all "obsession with D&D!!!!!" and then when that didnt land then it was "oh yeah and he was a psycho in the DM's as well"

plus they hadnt ever been punished for harassing PM's before, which seems highly unlikely if there was this established history of messaging moderators after getting probed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KirbyKhan posted:

Mod feedback at the time was "ramps don't work, just perma the freaks" so I get why admin staff pressed the buttons. But holy gently caress it has been months of "free sexpig" and it is being treated like a bit like "free larry".

yes, it’s the policy of the SA admins that if you post a lot but also have complaints about how SA is run then you’re doing so insincerely, like a soccer player faking an injury. which doesn’t make sense to me when it’s specifically a complaint about my posting friends getting banned over nothing, but what do I know

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

500/posts a week is not the problem by itself, but an aggravating factor - it makes the mean level of mean in your posts have a larger impact on the site. It's probably why I noticed in the first place. It felt like every c-spam thread and many other thread had many aggro posts from you that were entirely non-constructive and brought the general mood down for everyone. It also makes it transparently clear that, despite your dozens and dozens of complaints about how this place is run, this site is extremely conducive to your presence and you are fairly dependent on it. To me this makes your complaints come off as very insincere, like a soccer player faking an injury after any player gets within a few feet of them. That is simultaneously why I dismiss your complaints, but also why I don't just permaban you and move on with my life - I really do want you to be able to simply enjoy the thing you have and am hoping that this extreme measure can mitigate the negative externalities of your presence here.

I really do not care about whatever obtuse politics reason you have for being angry at a given person - I'm sure that, to you, you have a valid reason for all of them, but to me it's like those guys who are very mad about what kind of ram the xbox has. It's never going to compute - I ceased being "shocked and appalled" that "america is full of liberals" in the LF days and moved on with my life. If you don't like someone and they are posting near you, it costs exactly nothing not to engage, but for you, it costs :10bux: if you do engage, so choose wisely. I am not a moderating computer and being sarcastically nice is not any better.