Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Ytlaya had an objection to my probating comedyblissoption for engaging in Glenn chat outside of the designated thread (currently the Brie Gray thread). I figured I should respond to it here:

Ytlaya posted:

He was directly replying to someone else (with the conversation starting due to another person actually mentioning Glenn "out of the blue" - as had a bunch of other people who weren't punished for breaching some imagined containment zone), and in a way directly relevant to Twitter.

There were a bunch of people telling him to knock it off, and he kept going right off of the warning 6er I gave him. He has a bad history of not knowing when to stop when it comes to his gimmick, and a lot of CSPAM regulars that don't post in the Glenn threads are pretty vocally tired of it. They don't want these weird "Glenn cannot fail, he can only be failed" arguments making GBS threads up other threads.

e: Turns out Ytlaya wasn't meaning to object to it too strongly in particular; as usual, I am dumb.

Majorian has issued a correction as of 23:34 on Dec 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

The Pussy Boss posted:

What do you think his "gimmick" is, and why do you think it's so terrible that he has to be probated instead of letting people argue with him

Hijacking discussions to engage in these weird, tedious arguments about why Glenn can never be wrong, even as the thread regulars keep saying, "stop, this is annoying." The Glenn thread and its successors were supposed to be the place for that sort of thing to happen freely. cbo did a pretty good job of keeping it there, which is why his rapsheet was clean for the last year and a half - up until his Matthew Shepard posts.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I think majorian is generally a good poster and has the potential to do a good job but should probably just let threads deal with people being annoying unless it becomes overwhelming. Some of the best melt downs happen when people get stuck in that negative feedback loop and cutting it off with probes should be limited to people who go absolutely insane like when xtal did their thing in the podcast thread (and everywhere else they posted)

Thanks, that's good feedback. I usually try to follow a "less-is-more" strategy when it comes to moderating, but I fully admit that I strayed from that a bit last week and used my buttons more than I should have. Sorry about that, folks. I'll go back to using a lighter touch unless it's necessary to do otherwise.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Dustcat posted:

so why would they shoot up a car because black kids are driving it

they definitely thought shots were coming from that car

Oh wow.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Dustcat posted:

i don't know what actually happened at the protest

what's happening online is that people are using these kids' deaths as evidence that black people / leftists / whatever are bad because they will heedlessly shoot up a randomly passing car, especially if a black kid is driving it

Maybe take it to another thread? It seems like a lot of folks here would rather not talk about it here right now.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

comedyblissoption posted:

shiroc that sounds much less sympathetic than dustcat's speculation, but i guess we can make another thread if we want to elaborate

Thanks, I'd appreciate it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

anyways as much as i hate to say it i agree with some plague broad. az and NHD are actually doing fine and majorian should shut the gently caress up

lol

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

lobster shirt posted:

i guess it really was a cool zone

Woody Harrelson voice: and it will be…a Cool Zone of Apes!

\/\/\/admins, name change please?\/\/\/

Majorian has issued a correction as of 06:45 on Dec 13, 2022

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I think it's too long anyway.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

apes? seriously?

Movie trailer reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEP1Mk6Un98

\/\/\/ty i need it :( \/\/\/

Majorian has issued a correction as of 07:54 on Dec 13, 2022

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

docbeard posted:

Man, first Majorian gets run out of D&D for being too friendly to CSPAM, and now this.

Honestly, compared to, you know, most CSPAM mods previous to I guess Son of Thunderbeast, he's doing fine. Just admitting when you've made a mistake is A-Class mod material. (It'll be S-Class if he actually follows through.)

NHD has really scaled back the Main Character Syndrome posting, or at least is confining it to places I don't read, which is basically the same thing as far as I'm concerned.

Dreylad and vyelkin seem pretty cool, though I don't interact with them that much.

I'm still a bit surprised when I see that Crusty Nutsack is still a mod. I suspect she is too.

Free sexpig, free larry, double-permaban Alec Eiffel if possible, free cu-, no that's all.

TY. I really do mean it when I say I'm going to try to use my buttons less (at least for probes), although Phone is being a weird prick so I'm not going to take it easy on them. People can hold me accountable on that.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

docbeard posted:

My general belief is that thread topics aren't real, but I do get why a feedback thread might not be the best place for the relitigation of bad things that happened in Seattle a couple years ago. It's definitely true that "take it to a different thread" is usually a more complicated way of saying "shut up", and I always favor the more direct "shut up".

This particular topic is a little complicated because its natural home thread was not just closed but disappeared (for good reason) and there's really no thread where "Black Teens In Cars: Threat Or Menace, CHAZ Edition" would really fit right now (and I'm not sure a new thread would survive very long tbh).

Ultimately CSPAM is at its best when it's a place for mostly-unfettered conversation, even when those conversations are weird or terrible.

Yeah I agree with that.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Calibanibal posted:

does anybody remember fruit stripe gum? It had a colorful zebra mascot and it lost its flavor in 5 seconds. Today I saw Fruit Stripe brand gummies and bought them on impulse. They taste awful

I don't know if I ever tried the gum even once, but I loved the TV ads.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

comedyblissoption posted:

i was reminded of a conversation we had in the succ zone

there were a lot of people sympathetic to the idea that maybe it's disingenuous to call taibbi rightwing and taibbi dialectics should be considered more fully. no frantic slapping of the report button and calls for bans.

i presented this case to the new landscape of the musk thread. being as nice as possible [i.e. boring], citing over a decades long support of sanders, support for specific policies such as medicare for all, essays about tying the censorship directly to the billionaire privatization of the commons and war propaganda. people were deeply upset that someone would dare suggest this.

idk where im going with this but i hope this helps for feedback

Syq

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Lib and let die posted:

I'd like to rescind the following feedback

lol tough but fair.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Dustcat posted:

i don't know where on the forums a defense of matt taibbi would be at home except the now dead glenn thread, but yeah the musk thread isn't going to be receptive to it

The Brie Gray thread (ie: the Glennchat refugee thread) is still open.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

lol there isn't.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Lib and let die posted:

Glennthread posters reaching out and turning other threads into LCL as the Human Glennstrumentality Project begins

How disgusting...

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

HashtagGirlboss posted:

What’s the money line on Dems getting destroyed in 2024?

They'll get annihilated in the Senate and Biden will somehow win by more than he did in 2020.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Zodium posted:

no one cares. stop reading threads and forums that upset you

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

goons like to gawk and laugh at other goons. always have always will

That's great, keep it to yourself, you dweeb.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Zodium posted:

gas aids psycho freak goons ftw 😂

Done.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

docbeard posted:

Have you considered making the thread that is nominally about former president Donald Trump a good thread instead of an incoherent nightmare realm?

Be honest - would you actually post in such a thread, or do you just want the current Trump thread to not exist? Because if it's the former, yeah, make your own. Call it the "non-lovely Trump thread" or whatever you think is appropriate. If it's the latter, then pretend like it doesn't exist and poof, wish granted.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

docbeard posted:

Ah but have you considered that I am very lazy and easily distrac

Unironically the best type of poster, G*d bless.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

speng31b posted:

not gonna make a trump thread but ive been thinking of a megathread for age gap discourse and opinions about other people having kids. hope i have your blessing as a mod

You don't need my blessing, but sure, I think that's a really interesting idea.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nah, I don't like needlessly hostile people.

speng31b posted:

lmao what happened here

He closed his thread to keep me from posting in it, which seems kind of dumb since I can post in closed threads.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

speng31b posted:

so you gassed the thread?

Yeah, I sure did. If someone wants it back in the live forums they can PM an admin and explain why.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

lobster shirt posted:

can i recreate it

Sure, go ahead. Don't close it if people you don't like start posting in it though, that's cowardly.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

Retaliatory probing is a bad look regardless

If that were my only reason for probing AIT, I'd agree. But like I said, I don't like needlessly aggro people, and I'm not getting paid to take abuse from shitheads like that. So I'm going to probe people who are needlessly hostile, either to me or to anyone else. If you have a problem with that, take it up with an admin.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

redneck nazgul posted:

i request that the mods and admins do not work to develop three or even thirty minute probation lengths

I can't even begin to imagine how angry people would get over those.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

lobster shirt posted:

i have never PMed a mod about a probe or gotten mad about being probed at all however if this happened to me i would go berserk with rage

The mod version of playing "keep away" with a nerd's inhaler.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Zodium posted:

this d&d poo poo is much closer to how I expected you to use buttons

if a thread is bad, don't read it. if someone is hostile, flame them. very simple

Okay, well, I'm sorry to disappoint, but here's the thing: if you're going to be a prick to me, gently caress you. I'm going to probe you.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Zodium posted:

you should resign then, because you will be a bad cspam mod.

Sorry you feel that way.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

speng31b posted:

i don't have any feedback on this stuff related to moderation policy but i will say that going back to when i started posting in SA actively again (i guess about a year?) you and AIT have been so openly hostile to each other in such petty ways that I wish you'd just fight or gently caress or whatever it is you need to end the bloodshed

I honestly have no issue with AIT other than his hostility towards me. If he could chill even for just a little bit I'd ignore him.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

speng31b posted:

idk man, i have no dog in this fight. im just telling you from the outside it's looked super weird and petty from both of you, and now that you're a mod you'll just get more poo poo for using your mod powers to litigate your slapfight. Take that as you will

It's just as weird and petty to me, and I really don't know why it's happening, but I didn't start it. You can believe that or disbelieve that however you like, but I'm tired of it. Like I said, I don't get paid for this, so I'm just not going to put up with it anymore.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CODChimera posted:

i think u gotta tiptoe around certain posters or they wear u down with endless whining. good luck though!

TY, I need all I can get.

lobster shirt posted:

no i invented it

He did, it's true.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

speng31b posted:

fwiw, I thought you did a pretty good job with the whole Ukraine meltdown saga and keeping things from going off the rails again. hope your experience on the forums stays positive. try not to let cspam's trademark style of low effort aggro trolling get to you too much

Thanks, I really appreciate this.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Yeah that’s fair as long as they don’t start slamming their buttons and declaring loudly in mod voice that they’re the boss

Works for me.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

lumpentroll posted:

wait you gassed the stewie thread

After AIT closed it yeah. I regret doing it, I could've just unlocked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Weka posted:

It probably would have been a better troll.
As somebody else has mentioned, I think you are pretty quick to respond and could probably do well not to be. I also think you are perhaps a little too sensitive and could roll with the punches better.

You have been making a visible effort to improve and have historically been good about constructive criticism. The Ukraine thread has been better for your work but most threads requires the same level of moderation as that one.

Yeah, I think this is correct. It's been a really stressful week and a half for me in my personal life, which means I probably shouldn't have moderated during that time. Sorry to everyone for that. I'll take my lesson and do better going forward. No more slapfights for me, no more moderating during slapfights.