Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I should probably just shoot for FF14 cause there's always a chance it wins by default

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

God I know I voted for it this year but I hate ffxiv

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Depends wether they get another expansion out by the end of the year or not

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It was a very good thread, thanks rarity and VG for running it

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Posting on the sex number page

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Help Im Alive posted:

It'd be interesting to see XIV vs XVI if there's an expansion at the end of 2023 but I don't follow the patches etc closely enough to know if they're on schedule for that

The next expansion should be in 2024... I gave 14 a ranking in an "off year" because the 5.1-5.3 patch story and raids were amazing and was basically like a 10 hour game in itself

The real Final Fantasy Wildcard is if Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth comes out December... they did say "next winter" lol

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

FF14 seems to have expansions every two years and I know they have content creation down to clockwork. When was Endwalker announced in the cycle?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It'll be BOTW 2, the game delayed to add more Souls elements into its open world, I tell myself

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The thread should stay open until rope kid comes in to accept his non-Elden Ring first place trophy

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Feldegast42 posted:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Feldegast42 posted:

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I loved this whole thing and love all the breakdowns and work that everyone did! Thank you all so much!

Here's how my picks did...

10. Golden Axe III - DNR. Only I picked this. Obviously. My urge to play ancient side scrollers is fairly consistent so who knows maybe I rank it again next year.

9. Not For Broadcast - DNR. One other person picked this if I am mathing right.

8. Marvel Snap - #65! Will be interesting to see if this picks up steam for next year. It's very possible that it does. It's also possible that it crashes and burns.

7. Paradise Killer - DNR. A few others ranked it. Very cool game but not being a new release and niche in appeal in the first place not surprising.

6. Guild Wars 2 - DNR. I'm not surprised by that necessarily, but I am very surprised I was the only one who ranked this. 2022 is widely considered one of the best years GW2 has had in a long time, and I know there are a lot of goons that play this. I suppose either the crossover of goons who play this and goons who rank is not there, or they all ranked other stuff higher, which is odd to me considering the FF MMO has such a following on this list. Some sociologist could probably explain it.

5. Scarlet Hollow - DNR. But came very close!!! With three more amazing chapters yet to come and each chapter exponentially increasing the complexity of branching consequences I am optimistic this will climb next year. Maybe I need to preach its greatness to the goons who are looking for story/horror games more. If you are into virtual novels and horror at all I really, really, recommend it! And if it completes in 2023 which I hope it will maybe it will rank next year? We shall see!

4. Control - DNR. Yeah, everyone else already ranked this in the past few years. Not terribly surprising.

3. Elden Ring - #1. Obviously. If there is a decade list for best game in the 2020s in 7 years I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was a strong contender for #1. It's really that good, and again I say this as someone who the aesthetics don't appeal to that much and is very neutral on souls-likes as a genre.

2. Immortality - #33! Pleasantly surprised this did so well! It's really a unique experience and if you have any tolerance for avant garde story games you should give it a shot!

1. Crusader Kings III - DNR and I was the only one who ranked it. :smith: I still maintain this is a game of boundless potential whose surface is just being scratched. Maybe paradox will push out some amazing patches and add ons that will give more people reason to vote for this next year? I certainly hope so!!

Overall - 3/10 ranked, 3/10 I was the only one who voted for. I like the symmetry.

As for next year...

Well I finally got Disco Elysium and a half-dozen other suggestions from people's lists are on my wish list now. Also hopefully 2023 will be the year Baldur's Gate 3 launches hopefully, which is probably the new game I'm most excited for. Hopefully I remember to check for this in 2023!

Thanks again everyone who worked so hard on this! :buddy:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I already own Symphony of War, somehow, huh. I’ll alternate between that and Elden Ring as the mood strikes me, I think.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

posting on the face groin page

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This thread was pretty nice, I’ll tell you that much

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Feldegast42 posted:

FF14 seems to have expansions every two years and I know they have content creation down to clockwork. When was Endwalker announced in the cycle?

They do a series of fan festivals every couple years which have keynote speeches that are basically an announcement and information about the expansion. The first fan festival for 2023 is in July, and yes, if we were on the schedule that we had before Endwalker, it would come out in December, but starting after Endwalker, they're giving an extra month between patches, which would push it into early 2024.

But yeah, 7.0 will probably be announced at the show in July.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rarity posted:

Trying to call my GOTY for '23 is really hard cause a) I have no idea how much I'll actually game this year and b) nothing coming up on my list is screaming 'certified banger'. If I get far enough I'd say Metroid Prime, if not then it's probably Prince of Persia. Also looking at my list I've got a whole lotta JRPGs coming up, perfect timing for the Year of the JRPG :getin:

:f5h::ssh: Mirror's Edge: Catalyst

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Rarity posted:

Trying to call my GOTY for '23 is really hard cause a) I have no idea how much I'll actually game this year and b) nothing coming up on my list is screaming 'certified banger'. If I get far enough I'd say Metroid Prime, if not then it's probably Prince of Persia. Also looking at my list I've got a whole lotta JRPGs coming up, perfect timing for the Year of the JRPG :getin:

Could I recommend that it start with Sl and end with eeping dogs

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Feldegast42 posted:

:hai: to everyone who voted for the sex number game, harvestella

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Songbearer posted:

I'll give some postlist props to Vampire Survivors which I've been playing over the last few days, I can easily see why people like it so much since it's a straight up dopamine factory. I can't help feeling used by it after I'm done playing though.

All games are ways of killing time, let's not kid ourselves, but VS feels almost especially egregious for how easily it sucks time away without really leaving any lasting impression other than the sensation that I just popped a load of bubblewrap over the course of three hours. It's definitely not as stupid as it looks and there's a level of challenge there, but man is it like eating a bag of raw sugar in game form.

I started playing it last night and I think I'm stopping playing it today. I have so many other games to play and while this one is fun, all of what you said is true. I feel like I wasted 2 gaming sessions basically. It was fun but I don't really feel like I achieved anything. I might play this during lunch breaks or something but the sessions are pretty long (at this point, 27-30.01 minutes for me generally) and all that happens is some numbers go up.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
There are a lot of unlocks and such but hey, not every game is for everyone.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
VS, like a lot of good casual/mobile games, isn’t really a “session” game. If you play rounds over and over you burn out very quickly, you’re supposed to play a bit here and there to fill gaps between important things

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Oh me and my match were basically only a match because we both ranked Pokemon SV #2 and Elden Ring #1. So it goes when you have a weird collection of games in your list.

Still though these extra stats and gamer matches and stuff are incredibly cool, this thread gets better and better every year I love it.

I'll see y'all in 11 months when I rank Cyberpunk stupidly high in a year full of other releases.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I finished my first playthrough of Roadwarden last night and I wish I'd managed to finish it up in December because if I had it absolutely would have gone into my top 10.

Ah well.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

:hai: to everyone who voted for the sex number game, harvestella

:hai:

Hope more people check it out this year.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Thanks, goons. Thoons.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

rope kid posted:

Thanks, goons. Thoons.

No, thank YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

rope kid posted:

Thanks, goons. Thoons.

Thread of the Year :hellyeah:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Finally, now we can close the thread

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

rope kid posted:

Thanks, goons. Thoons.

See you next year when you have to accept another goon GOTY list Pentiment award!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Nice thread

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I can't believe the dude from icewind Dale 2 posted itt

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

rope kid posted:

Thanks, goons. Thoons.

You did a good game

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I put pentiment on my list because of this thread and hope to get to it this month!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

rope kid posted:

Thanks, goons. Thoons.

:patriot:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

rope kid posted:

Thanks, goons. Thoons.

There we have it. Thread over as soon as it rolls to 70.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

There we have it. Thread over as soon as it rolls to 70.

See you all in 11 months!!

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

A grand time as always! Everyone have a good year of videogames!

rope kid posted:

Thanks, goons. Thoons.

Goongrats!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

rope kid posted:

Thanks, goons. Thoons.

Listening to the interview with Rob Zacny that you, Dr. Kern, and Dr. Black did for Waypoint right now and it's good stuff (your own prior interview with Rob was also great).

Thanks for Pentiment, it's a drat special game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

excited for everyone to put zeno clash 3 (clash: artifacts of chaos) at #1 this december