Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
warmaster terrain!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Major Isoor posted:

Looks like Bilbo and his 35 nephews are going on an adventure! :D (Looks great, honestly - nice one!)

we're going to gently caress up the elves

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Nice! what models are you using for your halflings?

e: oh those look like the new Ankylo halflings. do you like them?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
got some rats going here

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
root and tooty point and shooty

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
holy poo poo those are incredible!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Really fun Warmaster battle report featuring a 3 way battle. its properly edited to a nice watchable 20 minutes instead of being two hours of neckbeards pushing their minis around with sausage fingers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPkqdio6fXM

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
a unit of ratswarms is done

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
all's well that dooms wheel

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Under 15 posted:

Do you paint the skaven individually or all on the base at once?

Generally, Warmaster minis come in strips, one for the front rank and one for the back rank. I paint the strips individually, then attach them to a base. Then I paint the base. Basing warmaster miniatures is an arduous process because of the whole multiple strips on one base thing.

Stuff that's a "single" mini, like the rat swarms and the doomwheel, are attached the base first like a normal miniature.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Under 15 posted:

can I hit you up for any tips you got, or even just a bigass gallery to study? I like your paint style a lot and I have been fooling with 6mm space marines. My buddy bought a resin printer so the next frontier is printing and painting all this cute little poo poo I could never bear to spend money on all these years...

that's some really nice stuff! you have patterns and icons on the shoulder pads of 6mm minis, it looks awesome

for smallcale, the highlights and contrasts will be oversized and punchy (just like the details are oversized and punchy). the smaller the scale, the more cartoony you will have to get. i am finding that at this small scale, a final edge highlight that's almost pure white will look good no matter colors the mini is painted.

for a gallery, pick your social media poison i guess:
https://twitter.com/PorbleG (i'm most active on twitter, i post about video game dev and other stuff that you probably dont care about)
https://www.tumblr.com/blog/porblegames (new to this platform but i love it)
https://www.instagram.com/porblegames/ (i fukkin hate instagram. i post stuff here but dont check it at all otherwise)

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
sorry to double post but i made a silly video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCEwMHnj6n8

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
10mm rat ogres

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
warlock engineer finished:

skaven battalion so far:

that's 400 points. taking a break from skaven to do some terrain and more brets!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
i think these are what you mean? scroll down to get to the fantasy armies

https://ordinarygaming.blogspot.com/p/warmaster-counters.html

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

nesbit37 posted:

Have any of you played Warmaster at conventions like Adepticon? If so, how many points are the armies and for how many players? I'm trying to build a con game that will last 4 to 6 hours max and am not sure how many points it should be to achieve that. Assume some if not all of the players will have to be taught the system as its played.

Its really hard to say. I would keep the army sizes at 1k for new players and avoid units with complex rules. I don't think you could go wrong with four 1000 point armies in a 2v2 match.

There are rules out there for more than 2 sides, so you could get extra spicy and do a 2v2v2 at 500 points for each army if you have the space and patience for more newbies. This sounds like a blast to me

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
If you want 6 players, maybe 750 points per army and 3v3. Some armies start to fall apart at less than 1k, so I would stick to the more iconic factions. You might "gold plate" the units a bit, or take an extra hero more than needed, to keep the unit counts smaller

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

chippocrates posted:

There are links to STLs for Warmaster in the OP. Are there any decent merchants for minis for epic scale minis? I'm working on my Legio Mortis titans and want to have some little daemons/soldiers on the bases to sell the scale.

wake does quite alot of epic related stuff, and also alot of 6mm star wars that would also work

https://wakesemporium.gumroad.com/

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Varus miniatures just launched a kickstarter for a new line of 10mm/15mm dwarfs for Warmaster and small skirmish

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/variousminiatures/norse-dwarf-clans

Forest Dragon dwarfs are also coming out in the next few months, and Cromarty Forge is adding a second line of Dwarfs. Dwarfs about to be the most well supported Warmaster faction by.. quite alot!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
finished some 10mm peasants for warmaster

and resuming working on hex table system

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
drat thats incredible

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Virtual Russian posted:

Any tips for getting decent photos of 10mm or 6mm minis with a phone? I want to show some stuff off, but don't have quick access to my dslr, how are y'all doing photos? I've seen some great photos of small stuff in here, I'm sure people have a quick way to do this with a phone camera.

I have a full photo set up for my art, but those skills plus equipment don't seem to help me when my "sculptures" are 6mm tall.

Depends alot on your phone's camera unfortunately. My pixel 6 has terrible edge focus and my old pixel 4 took better photos of 10mm minis

Use Open Camera or a camera app with a pro mode that gives you some manual control. Back up to get better focus.

Tiny minis are just plain harder to photograph, especially when you want photos of whole units or dioramas. Do you have access to Photoshop? It makes focus stacking a breeze so you can alot more stuff in focus

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
hex bridge tiles for warmaster

the bridges and roads are from cromarty forge

i'll need to make some updates to warmaster stl page. there's like 3 new dwarf armies coming AND 3 beastmen armies, which is ridiculous

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

a7m2 posted:

Ridiculously good. How did you make the hex tiles themselves? Printed or manually cut out?

I'm printing them in plastic. i started with wooden ones but they all seem to warp eventually

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

a7m2 posted:

Do you just print the flat tiles and stick the roads and bridges on them after, or do you merge the STLs together?

ive merged the stls using Blender. there's a fair amount of modeling involved because the roads/rivers are sunk into the tiles rather than just being on top

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

a7m2 posted:

I'm really interested in trying this myself. I have a little 3D modeling experience. By no means professional level but I think I could probably manage it. What dimensions are you using for your tiles? Would you be willing to share a base tile (no roads or anything, just the base shape)? They seem the perfect size and would save me some time puzzling.

There's no way I can paint them as nice as yours but your posts are making me so motivated to try.

of course!

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5894611

my tiles are 6 inches on the long diagonal. i have no idea if that's the best size but its what i settled on.

one thing that might not be apparent from my pics is that all the tiles raised up on rubber stoppers

there's several reasons for this. the biggest one is that i want to be able to sink the rivers deep in the tiles:

if you're using the cromarty stuff, you have several challenges to overcome. first, neither the rivers nor the roads are the right lengths. you can overlap them to make them longer and use boolean to clip them.

road tile:

the rivers are especially challenging because if you sink them into the tile, you'll need to model a bank. boolean modifiers are your friend, they're how i usually stitch things together. use them to carve space and also make sure random poo poo doesn't poke out.

here's how i modelled the banks. use proportional editing to keep things looking organic!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Virtual Russian posted:

Moving loose 6mm guys around seems like a big hassle, I imagine I could use some kind of movement tray though.

Absolutely. 10mm is doable but a little uncomfortable. 6mm would be futile I think. That said, I did see someone online with a 6mm kill team setup. You had to play it with a compass :v:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Virtual Russian posted:

I have tons, maybe over a thousand in my grey pile, of unbased 6mm guys, plus there just isn't a lot of 10mm proxies for warhammmer 40k or epic. I imagine I'll need to weight their base a bit to prevent tipping.

Maybe I'll just have to do this and document my process? Google isn't really returning anything but dead links or really old info.

weights will help a ton. i might be able to help you. i designed some 10mm round bases that accept a washer: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5014713
here's a link to the washers that fit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H5ZU7Q/

i have a few 6mm tau soldiers from wake's emporium. they actually look pretty decent in the 10mm base

e: you will still definitely want movement trays for the amount of minis you have to field

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 11, 2023

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, Mordheim (and NM) can be incredibly unbalanced - we had a Mordheim game where I played Defending Sisters of Sigmar, and a friend played Attacking O&G. "If at the end of the defender’s turn the attacker has more standing models within 6" of the objective than the defender, the attacker wins." He ran his gang up and at the end of turn three, won the game simply because he had more models in his gang. That's it. I think maybe there was a little combat? I mean, I love the game, but that's just bad design - anyone who actually just read that scenario, let alone played, could see how it's just unwinnable if the attacker has a large warband.

The Crown of Command podcast just did an short interview with Tuomas Pirinen and he said that some of the inbalance of the game was very intentional - life in Mordheim is meant to be brutal and short. One thing that stuck out was the houseruling on making armor half price because it's too expensive and not super effective. He stated that armor is supposed to be expensive, because through history, only the rich had stuff like plate, and, as it turns out, it wasn't a very good defense against much anyway. He did also mention skaven sling spam and said something to the effect of "just don't be a dick."

There's another interview at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnzwrRNf5p8, but I haven't watched it yet.

all these are just excuses for why they didn't bother to make a better game. also plate armor is pretty effective in real life

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
painting break over, lets make some more warmaster terrain!

some dark brown tiles, good for forests

hay field

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
forest dragon is releasing 10mm questing knights.

amazing

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Southern Heel posted:

Ah, well I'd not really thought about Warmaster - my idea was to re-use my historical figures and so I'm not adverse to trying WM but the main driver is to scratch the nostalgia itch for WHFB 4th/5th Edition specifically, rather than to play a 'good' game system.

Is WHFB enjoyable with smaller scale games (750-1250pts) or is it going to end up monotonous? honestly my primary interest is Historicals but I think just about the only way I can get my usual opponent to play against me is with elves and orks duking it out...

How well WHFB works at small scale depends alot on the edition and factions involved. 6th edition had a warbands version of the game that let you take very small units. I always thought it looked fun but never tried it. The rules are still out there somewhere

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
warmaster! 10mm grail knights

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
i was finding that, even with different colors for each unit, peasant stands start to bleed together visually very quickly. it becomes impossible to tell which stand belongs to which unit

so i am now adding something unique to each unit, shared across its three stands. today's peasants feature 6mm Chickens from pendraken

close up of some chickens. the chicks are just spheres of green stuff

individual strips:

e: made new pics after gluing a broken spear!

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 27, 2023

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
i have yet to actually PLAY warmaster :v:

but i got some games lined up this summer (probably)

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
story time: a couple weeks ago i bought this really cool sci fi train from GrimDark Terrain , thinking i could paint it up for battletech

unfortunately, its just too big for battletech scale. its 8mm, which fits with Adeptus Titanicus i think. i didnt know if any AT players or maybe even epic players in this thread would be interested in it before i throw it up on SA mart. $70 shipped inside the US

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
10mm questing knights complete

strips:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
10mm bretonnian hero on a pegasus

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Grumio posted:

I'd love to see what you could do with the new Epic miniatures when they're out

they look awesome, but im not personally super interested in them. space marinea are just not my thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Eediot Jedi posted:

I'm pretty sure you're responsible for warmaster not getting a re-release. GW studio painters took a look at your stuff and went "gently caress going against that"

lol well i appreciate the kind words

maybe Epic is just in a different place than Warmaster but i wouldn't want GW to return to Warmaster.

Pros of GW: they're willing to make large changes to the rules, and put out experimental stuff. they're willing to make new factions and make new lore. the fan community is VERY static in this regard, which i think is disappointing.

Cons of GW: they'll wipe out most of the independent sculptors who have worked hard to keep the game alive. many of these sculptors (like Forest Dragon and Cromarty Forge) regularly include women figures among their sculpted range of troops, in complete defiance of established lore. this would also be wiped out by GWs return

all things considered, id rather GW stay out and hope the community develops some backbone in generating new ideas. i think they should even let the lore timeline diverge completely for the game