Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/BattleBots/status/1606983333950488583

Animorphs reboot looking pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Banners! They even had the Comedy Central champions with the old school Comedy Central logo! I don't recognize Lamachine at the end though, or the symbol above it.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

https://robotwars.fandom.com/wiki/1995_UK_Open_Competition

They didn't get a good shot of it, but pretty sure it's a Robot Wars logo. LA Machine won the 1995 UK Open championship, that turned into Robot Wars. And the bot was built by Greg Munson and Trey Roski (who created and still run Battlebots).

Ah, I thought the R might have meant Robot Wars, which confused me because they tend to never refer to that series by name. I never knew that proto-Robot Wars and BattleBots were intertwined like that from the start.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Waiting on a weaponized hamster ball.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Now make it 250 pounds.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Now you're just describing a Mario Kart 64 arena.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Jenny Taft was good. Pete was alright, but he was shackled to the side to the Battlebox.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I don't think they always led with the wedge, but yes the matches where they do that are measurably more boring.

RotatoR has the same problem. Victor Soto's fights are snoozefests more and more.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Rotator is at least capable of doing that Tombstone thing where it turns the blade into the opponent. Hijinx's wheel struts prevent that kind of thing.

Being "we have Tombstone at home, Tombstone at home:" is not high praise. RotatoR just doesn't have enough power to make that strategy fun to watch.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Optimizing bots on the Tombstone-Duck spectrum is the eternal struggle.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Mammoth creates a lot of weird physics stuff, but I never really feel like it's a good show. It's got the Huge concept of a bot that is hard to damage because of how odd it is, but then there is absolutely no weapon at all. Does a bunch of little love taps and tries to win on technically "hitting" the opponent more. It's like watching a Floyd Mayweather match except Mammoth loses 90% of the time.

Yes, I am still salty about that playoff match against Copperhead :colbert:

Mammoth had some good showings back when ringouts didn't require an act of God. In the current Battlebox, there's no chance.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Interesting tidbit dropped from Ricky Williams at the NHRL event. The Battlebots Vegas show bots don't have the 250lb limit. I think he said Mammoth was in the ~315lb range to be more durable / repairable. And also the other teams are also over 250lb.

Bring Chomp to Destruct-a-thon.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Doomba vs Dragon definitely flashed me back to the era of Wacky Compasses and Buddy Lee Don't Play in the Streets. My childhood!

What a good episode. The fights that didn't have my cheeks clenched at the edge of my seat at least had me giggling like a kindergartener.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Witch Doctor/Minotaur

Don't have the official rubric in front of me, my armchair judge's opinion is that Witch Doctor won that. I'd say that them internally breaking Minotaur's left side drive is worth more damage than scraping up a single wheel. Minotaur gets control for the pins, but I think Witch Doctor was more aggressive chasing down Minotaur in the middle of the fight. I'd be interested to see the judges' scorecards.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

There's a lot of coin flips along the way, but what I'm sure of is the Minotaur is making it to the finals, and would be favored to win in almost every possible matchup from the east side.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

They were completely forgettable in their first season. Anyone who hated them just for Ethan yelling "Let's Go" is a weirdo.

It was the Shredderator fight.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Uggggggh this bullshit manufactured drama is the worst

I mean, they had to show at least some of those behind the scenes drama, otherwise Ethan's post-fight comments would sound like a complete non-sequitur (it kinda was anyway).

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Great Beer posted:

The second I saw betas armor I knew they had lost. what a terrible decision.

Have they ever won with that armor? I seem to remember it being cursed.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

they can't very well film more now.

You know how the Bachelor does an After The Rose live special?

Introducing... After The Nut.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Wonder who's winning the design award this season. Ripperoni seems like they would win, given how much everyone is gushing over the flywheel design, but they'll probably get rookie of the year instead.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Copperhead has definitely come along way since that first season when it competed as Poison Arrow and took 10 years to spin up.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

ewe2 posted:

My gripe with Duck was always that it was an unconvincing flipper bot especially compared to a bot like Hydra. The flipper just seemed to be an afterthought and time after time it was the first casualty and then what? And he never addressed this problem in any design.

Lifter vs flipper. But Duck! still compares poorly to Whiplash, whether or not they run the spinner.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Holy poo poo. What a show

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Between the Ribbot/Hydra stare down, and the Ribbot/Sawblaze waltz, I've never been so excited for robots not hitting each other.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The cradle was getting pretty bent in by the end of the fight. Jamo should've welded Copperhead's drum to Sawblaze instead.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I want HUGE to keep a relatively traditional vert spinner configuration in their back pocket, and then have someone running a bike rack looking absolutely gobsmacked when they wasted all that extra weight just to fight a normal bot.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Does Whyachi make money on the parts they sell to other teams, or are they supporting the community at a loss?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Indirectly, maybe. They've extended Destruct-o-thon, presumably because they know they can't film the next season. They probably won't release Champions until they know when they can start filming again, so they can space out the seasons reasonably.

edit: I scrolled up I realize I have just summarized a post in this very thread, with my own added speculation.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Nice to see the bonus awards finally! Didn't really expect the sportsmanship award, but I get it. The others I'm down with. Not even MaD about MaDCatTer , since Martin Mason is always so down-to-earth and sincere whenever he drops the gimmick.

Regarding the actual matches, lots of upsets, but I will say that Victor Soto went exactly as far as he deserved with how he's minmaxed defense in recent seasons. Rotator can be cool! Come on, Victor! Do something!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I don't even know if high centering is even a useful strategy. Seems to me that they'd only be able to get one good hit out of an engagement anyway because of the spin up time for a hammer saw.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

It's transitive. Riptide was most destructive. But Copperhead beat Riptide. And Huge beat Copperhead. Perfectly logic.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Rip Blip.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Next week

Claw Viper-Shatter
Monsoon-Gruff
Ripperoni-Glitch
Hypershock-Starchild

Hopefully Ripperoni takes this one, although I wouldn't mind seeing like half these bots win.

Disappointed no Witch Doctor in the Golden Bolt though. I thought they were setting them up against Hypershock in the last bracket or something.

Starchild is the only bot I do not love. Every other fight will break my heart in one way or another.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

:perfect:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Shocked at a split decision even if it was the dumbest judge voting for Sawblaze.

I'm sorry that you don't appreciate the Something Awful sponsored judge, Derek Young.

But I love how I knew immediately how every split decision in this episode would go based on his vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

What if BattleBots, but with Mexican futbol announcers?