Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

oh jay posted:

Waiting on a weaponized hamster ball.

man this reminded me of a CAD proof of concept someone made way back in the day of a hamster ball covered in spikes, with like a little robot inside of it driving around with an omni-wheel system to steer the giant ball. i think his name for it was Chaosphere or something equally 2005.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

sawblaze for the mf win

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I'm Blip and I drive straight into Endgame weapon

end game has really perfected the ground game, i have no idea how anyone's supposed to deal with that poo poo.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

TomR posted:

I'm really enjoying the small changes to the show format. It feels more genuine and sincere, but also fun. Giving more information and letting the team personalities shine. I love that stuff.

they just need to give me a little more poo poo from the pits. why did this bot break down, what's the damage look like when you zoom in on it. shatter looked like it barely touched HUGE but then you check after the fight and they definitely got a couple of good swings in. give some more context to the scale of things

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

that episode was uhh

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

sweet geek swag posted:

Starchild was interesting, but I'm not sure that the concept of a thwackbot scales particularly well. Combining a thwackbot with a hammer saw is different, but I'm not sure you'll ever have contact long enough to make use of both components.

Yeah, part of the problem with scaling is that the bots at this weight class are just gonna be way better armored. Overhaul isn't exactly a tank and I think the damage amounted to the nose getting chipped and maybe a couple of other glancing cuts.

Starchild is just never going to have full control of itself and the opponent when it 'fires' the weapon which also in turn makes it difficult to hit anything.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Kraken is pretty much aliexpress sawblaze now. Same design but without the forks to control the opponent.

I still like Kraken though, hope they get some wins at least.

It's kinda disappointing they went this route instead of, you know, making a crusher that can actually crush instead of their previous grabber.

They also desperately needed someone to step in and tell them to redesign their wedge (especially against horizontals, where it should be sloped on either side).

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

sweet geek swag posted:

Huge is a weird bot, and it has some very obvious flaws, but have we ever seen a flipper try to take it on legitimately? Did Huge fight Bronco once? I can't see that being effective, but Huge is one of the more unpredictable bots.

yeah it beat the piss out of bronco

Great Beer posted:

Huge keeps getting flipper fights and I'm not sure why. I think it's fought all of them at some point.

yeah, while it is 'anti-flipper', the fact that it is supposed to be 'anti vert-spinner' is much more interesting from a standpoint of disrupting the meta. let me see it fight end game, hypershock, witch doctor etc.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Well Huge did fight 2 verts last season, Uppercut & Riptide. Lost to both, although 1 was a KO because Huge got Screwed by the Screws.

Also lost to Biteforce in it's rookie season, but was the fight after Icewave tore it in half so who knows.

it was on track to win that fight against biteforce also. but yeah

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

the lynx vs riptide thing is clearly a work. eggbeater designs have been in robot combat since like, what, 2001? 2002? its an insane claim

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

Oh is it? Well now I'm definitely on Riptide's side

they've been especially popular at lower weight classes. the nature of an eggbeater frees up a bunch of weight compared to poo poo like drums and such. theres been kits for them for like a good 5 or 6 years. lynx is like a 2019 thing

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Yea I dunno. The Eggbeater bar is a pretty common weapon for robot combats (also in Battlebots).

But most the Eggbeater is in front. Also the kit bots don't have the same design as these too. Lynx & Riptide do share a lot of the same geometry.

3lb Lynx

250lb Riptide

box + eggbeater

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

El Fideo posted:

That Bot I would say does not look much like Riptide or Lynx. Egg beaters are common, I don't know about the specific geometry of these two.

Honestly the biggest surprise for me is that a Bot named Emulsifier wasn't an egg beater.

its a box with 4 wheels and an eggbeater. it's from 2001.

if you're gonna pull that card then gently caress it, riptide does not have wedges. its a completely different shape without wedges.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

this is Last Rites Is A Clone Of MOE poo poo again

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

ewe2 posted:

Literally a beatup then. If they're pulling lame PR stunts like that for attention, they must be worried about the competition. Speaking of lame PR stunts, putting Blip up against Huge, whose idea was that? Disappointing matchup out of an otherwise very good brace of fights, Claw Viper was breathtaking again.

i mean its the same show that was willing to paint ray billings as a villain. they don't mind leaning in on a 'bad blood' work. the community is generally too nice to actually buy into stuff like that and be mad. i see it as discovery trying to fill airtime because godforbid they actually go into the pits and inspect post-match damage or whatever.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

They definitely manufacture drama, and of course they have some fake bad guys who are always winking at the camera and behind the scenes all the other builders love them

BUT that Riptide dude does really seem to be a prick. I don't get any "playing for the cameras" off him at all.

that's just anyone 20 years and younger. or anyone younger than me at all.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

beepsandboops posted:

Re: the Riptide controversy: there's a locked Reddit thread where people point out that people in the scene also just don't like the kid that much and that his bot is partially funded by some snakeoil that his dad sold claiming it cured his autism

https://www.reddit.com/r/battlebots/comments/10ss1t2/so_what_is_the_controversy_with_riptides_team/

lol jesus christ. alright yeah

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I think every main event this season has had some manufactured drama between the 2 teams so a lot of this week was most certainly Discovery putting their spin on things.

But also Ethan of Rip Tide probably is an rear end in a top hat and Martin Mason did look legitimately upset in the post fight interview.

Can't really hate on team Riptide or Ethan because his dad might be a piece of poo poo.

yeah the dad stuff aside, the actual sincere dislike of the team makes some of the pre and post-fight stuff come off way less like ribbing/hes a dumb kid and more that the guy is an actual rear end in a top hat

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

I'd make that face too if someone put their hand to my mouth post-covid

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

Ripperoni is going to pull a Chomp and get the perfect strike on a top tier bot and win a match it has no business winning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqZhfoADvOE

Bite Force's only loss!

I wonder how Bite Force would fare these days. They've been out of the game for a while, and these teams have gotten so much better the last 3 years.

they probably just need to update their wedgelets. they were one of the few teams even running piano teeth back then (despite it being semi common on the combots circuit). old end game got bodied by bite force because of it lol, you could even see during exhibition fights later in the season that the end game team realized this and taped some plastic poo poo to get their wedge lower

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Sirotan posted:

Ngl I thought Hydra should have won last year's match up and Tantrum just got insanely lucky. Guess I was wrong!

Hydra should've won last years fight, but also these are different bots with different configs. I'm surprised Tantrum won the groundgame this convincingly after losing it so badly last year, but thats why teams make adjustments.

I still think Hydra should've won last year, but lol uhh Tantrum definitely won tonight.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

the stick makes sense when you look at the ground clearance for the plow that banshee has.

it just doesn't make sense for the shape of valkyrie in general, and the weapon it has.

valkyrie is in desperate need of a redesign, its very clear that the shape and weight leave it insanely unbalanced, especially when in the overcutter position. its like a spinning top after it lands a hit, resting perfectly on the slope next to the weapon.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

sweet geek swag posted:

Goddammit, I even corrected it in the post where I quoted to avoid this.

this is why you just post and let god sort it out

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

ewe2 posted:

Throwing my 2c in:

Witch Doctor was amazing, I can't believe the improvement in this bot this year, now its literally throwing bots in the air. There was a time when Witch Doctor and Hijinx were both in the same kind of league but that's history baby.

what? when?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

apatheticman posted:

Wrecking the sword was a dick move.

Jamison Go is the actual heel.

overkill always sucked.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

apatheticman posted:

I just wanted to lay the groundwork for a Jamison Go gently caress yourself joke

fair

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Chronojam posted:

I don't mind that kind of mirror match. Captain Shred versus Gigabyte isn't terrible to see. For the control bot matchup for Clawviper vs Overhaul though, it's pretty clear that one team really has the gimmick dialed in. With the Skorpios match though, Sawblaze is really, really dialed in and particularly lethal.

So ultimately I'm glad Skorpios did something stupid and had some fun with things with the potential for a Chomp-vs-Biteforce golden BB shot. I would hope that Triton would try to pull some crazy bullshit instead of just exploding in five seconds if they were against Tombstone.

idk, one of the things that surprised me was that skorpios actually did win the ground game on probably the majority of those exchanges (at least the ones where the giant sword wasn't tilting them off balance).

im a big sawblaze fan and uhh not so much a skorpios one so this was definitely something that caught my eye. i dont think skorpios would've won, but i think if they played a normal game they would've had a shot. it almost felt criminal the way they undervalued their own ground game

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

Apparently the Captain Shredderator team were very pissed at the Riptide guy after the competition. Interested to see what this is about. Maybe a match controversy or an Ethan Kurtz making an rear end of himself controversy.

i will say that, without reading or knowing anything at all, if this is nick nave (brian's son) he's been on the subreddit a lot over the years just kinda generally being an rear end and a sore loser. usually willing to talk up any and all drama. so just take it for what it's worth. it varies from year to year but i remember him popping off years back about multiple stuff

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Great Beer posted:

The ewerts have a long history of being rules lawyer types. The things they do aren't always in the spirit of the competition but are technically allowed. See: son of whyachis initial weight bonus as a walker for using shufflers, minibots that do nothing but high center opponents, the bike rack. Kinda douchy but not being assholes.

too many teams used those minibots prior and after for me to hold that against them, and warrior clan using them was because it was designed for the 200lbs class and it's legitimately a psychotic enough design that you can't really simply just 'scale it up'. using that extra weight as minibots just so you can get a design that never got on TV is fine

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

ilmucche posted:

just found that season 3 is on netflix here so that's fun. the spinner meta isn't as fun though

edit: okay nevermind. duck v free shipping v mecha rampage was a great fight

I'm really glad Tombstone won a tournament when he had the chance because I just cannot see it happening again lol

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

lol dude come on now he just said he was watching it on Netflix

oh pff my wording could've been better. i saw him say he's watching season 3. so i assumed he saw season 2 (which, along with 1, was back on ABC instead of discovery), which is a season tombstone won lol.

i'm just now realizing the ABC seasons probably have some weird licensing so they probably aren't on netflix (i'm pretty sure they're not on discovery+), although iirc every fight from those seasons are on youtube.

anyway all this is to say, no, this isn't spoiling season 3. just season 2, which i apologize for

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

ilmucche posted:

looks like discovery plus doesn't have it here :(

I'll find other ways to watch it I guess

Turns out they are still on youtube

Season 1
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDe0CguuqcMD6Ee3rQfJBkUCKzilzx1lF

Season 2
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDe0CguuqcMA-fu_fwgE1vIFA0IA2PsTP

The playlist does not have the fights in order so I don't really have a recommended way of watching it without spoiling all the fights for yourself, but there's still some interesting stuff that pre-dates the current meta.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

John Reid really loves the skirt armor design even when it doesn't work

See last year

i legit don't know what the gently caress they're talking about when they mean there's no 'edge' for the drum to catch. like i get that a wedge will get bent upwards taking a similar hit, but a square edge like beta was using is awesome for a vert to hit and launch

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

3rd & 4th fights are a weird spot for Battlebots and why they just let teams into the tournament last year after winning 2 fights. Teams that started 2-0 really have no incentive to run their last 2 fights with a strategy to win the fight. So there's no reason for a team to run their best parts in a fight. 50 bots competing for a 32 spot tournament, 2 wins and you're probably going to get in.

Yeah, and there's not really much in the way of incentive to fight for higher seeding, since the 'seeding' is pretty arbitrary and it's not like teams ranked 17 and lower are necessarily 'bad' teams, and even moreso you can get awkward matchups that could put the higher seed at a disadvantage anyway (thinking of HUGE vs a vert or flipper).

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

i dont want it to turn into the no fun league where people can't yell in triumph after a win. this shouldn't be golf. but my opinion to this is the same as other sports - i do not think there should really ever be immediate postgame reaction interviews. it doesn't really matter what it is - any competition is going to be hugely emotional and any athlete/competitor should get the leeway of having some time to compose themselves before a camera is shoved in their face.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

i don't know what some of these british teams are on. the tactics some of them deploy are just head scratchers

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Railing Kill posted:

They seriously need a name on that trophy. It's not "The Golden Football" it's the goddamn Lombardi Trophy. Name it after Paul Ventimiglia or Ray Billings or something. Christ.

no loving way. the giant nut is the best name in sports.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

mikencr sighting behind the judges after the final. lookin good dude

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

MikeNCR posted:

Thanks, made a lot of positive changes the last few years.

good to hear man. you're a big part of what makes this sport cool. appreciate the work you put in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Great Beer posted:

I'm not sure why sawblaze needed the cradle part of his huge attachment. Seems like all it did was give huge something to hit and the eyebrows did all the work.

it was to basically blunt huge's weapon so it doesn't have a direct line to the arm belt, i believe. i wouldve liked it lower to the ground but i think that also runs the risk of deflecting or huge bouncing weird and they snipe it anyway. i was hoping they were just gonna put a thick as gently caress cover over the chain that runs the arm, but i guess this works too.