Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Pressing F to pay respects 🫡

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

If anyone's interested in the "whys" behind Rome's historical ability to just bury opponents in numbers, this is one of the better explanations I've seen: https://acoup.blog/2021/06/11/collections-the-queens-latin-or-who-were-the-romans-part-i-beginnings-and-legends/

tl;dr Rome stood out from contemporary polities due to its ability to assimilate outsiders: non-Romans could actually become Roman and wanted to.

I wonder if Rome in the game getting some kind of total absorption CB is meant to reflect this, actually.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

C — GISGO

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

NewMars posted:

I really have to wonder about a lot of foundational things like infrastructure and architecture that descended from the roman empire in western europe and how the carthaginian empire differs in such things here.

Much better harbors, lighthouses, etc, but much worse roads or anything overland really.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I mean, if we want something to be the hosed up mess that was the HRE in our timeline, the actual remnant of Rome is near to being in the right place for it...

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

hashashash posted:

I also thought about stopping Imperator around 300 CE, but again it'll be a bit boring to just watch big powers blob for another couple hundred years

You could potentially use that time to game out conversion options without doing full fledged updates, maybe?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

hashashash posted:

as in let the game run to see what might happen?

Maybe, or maybe a mix of that and just half-rear end playing (based on thread votes for the transition where appropriate/sensible) to see what develops.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

sebzilla posted:

Roll them bones

C C C

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

DDDon't care :v:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

EEE - let god sort it out

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

A, B, and let's see Axum get big idk

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

There's likely some level of syncreticism, but also potentially, if the Norse at the leading culture, an addition to the groups of gods such that in addition to the Aesir and Vanir, there's a third group called the Rumir or something.

The Romans didn't really appear to give that much of a poo poo about their own customary religion over the long run, so it's also possible they just adopted the gods of the Norse wholesale through syncretic identification. So I like this idea.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Weavered posted:

Well a portmanteau of Northmen and Romans is Normans…

Also this!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Luca_024 posted:

Honestly, I don't really think this checks out? Non-codified religions are a complicated beast for us to understand when we're not used to that, but there's plenty of evidence that the romans who followed Hellenic religion were pretty drat serious about it. Many Christian traditions practiced to this day were adaptations of earlier Roman ones to make the jump easier for the Hellenic faithful - for example, archaeologists estimate Jesus was born around August, but we celebrate Christmas near the Winter Solstice because that's when an earlier, pagan Roman festival happened, and the traditions of gift-giving and tree-decorating come from there as well. Also, even after Christianity became the Empire's official religion, there is plenty of evidence of local elites maintaining pagan customs for a while.

This blog post by a professional ancient historian goes into depth about how the religious transition happened. I think it would be interesting to have some sort of division in the Norse-Roman religion, in which the official doctrine observed by the elites of Roman descent has more Hellenic elements than the folk religion practiced by the people. That's what happened IRL as Christianity expanded in Europe; before the first Inquisition in the 12th century, the Catholic Church was a lot more heterogeneous in its practices because the local, pagan customs of each locale mixed with Christian teachings, which led to a mish-mash of local regional variants of Catholicism, even though the theology being taught to the priests was theoretically the same.

If you meant the Romans adopting Hellenic gods in the first place, though, they probably did that because of the Etruscans, who contributed to many institutions and traditions of the late Roman Kingdom and early Republic. It's unlikely the Norse would get the same treatment, as the Romans probably see them as lowly barbarians, rather than a beacon of civilization to emulate as they did Etruria and Greece.

"Romans adopting Hellenic gods in the first place" is what I was thinking of, but fair enough. Although it's also worth noting that "Rome as continent-spanning empire" and "Rome as rump remnant out on the wilderness" are two pretty different situations. Whatever Romans might think, they aren't anywhere near as powerful as in OTL, so they're probably not in the driver's seat of the cultural merger.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

It's the second best joke in that thread that a Byzantine Empire Paradox mega-LP ended up in a place where trying to revive the Roman Empire is the worst form of treason.

(The best joke is Edward Gibbon being alive to comment on the fall of Rome as it happened in his time.)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

To be fair, I am not sure that example counts as a vote

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Fivemarks posted:

Īsā ibn Maryam.

fify (we should really play it safe)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

hashashash posted:

also, i won't lie, i have absolutely no idea how we're supposed to take him/the Caliphate on. i can wait a while to see if they weaken, but... let's just say that's not looking very likely

I think the main thing we've learned so far is how powerful the strategy is of entering a larger realm as a vassal with the same intent as a xenomorph larva slithering down a host's throat.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

hashashash posted:

that was the plan, but unfortunately Adonibaal's heir is a bit of a zealous nuthead, so wouldn't make much sense to swear fealty again

Well, as long as he's not actually the King of Phoenicia, just effectively so, it's not technically his call.

(He takes over Phoenicia in fairly short order, doesn't he...)

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 9, 2023

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

A

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

C

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Rody One Half posted:

I'll change from C to B.

Same, now voting B

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

B

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

A - North Africa

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

A

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

D

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

C

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Could do B with a dash of A (ie B is the reason for the disease resistance underlying A)