Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Vando posted:

Tua's situation is actually worse, Best only ever had 2 concussions in a single season (2009 in college, then again in 2011).

He had two in 2 weeks in 2009

quote:

Best was injured during the second quarter of Cal's November 7 matchup against Oregon State. In the process of scoring a rushing touchdown, he hurdled a defender into the end zone and was pushed by a second Oregon State defender in mid-air, causing him to land on the back of his head with his helmet coming off. The play resulted in a concussion for Best.[20][21] After a 13-minute game delay, Best was taken off the field on a stretcher to the Highland General Hospital in Oakland. This was his second concussion in two weeks, following a mild concussion received the previous week against Arizona State. He was released the next day.[22] and did not play the following week's game against Arizona, although he appeared as an honorary team captain. Best missed the rest of the regular season

Which admittedly was still a longer timespan than Tua's first two concussions this season (2 in 5 days, a Sunday game and then Thursday Night)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

quote:

McDaniels was asked point blank Monday whether he would consider benching Carr for backup Jarrett Stidham for the final two games. The coach didn't exactly offer a rousing defense of Carr.

"I think there's a possibility that we would do the right thing regardless of the position," McDaniels said.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Kalli posted:

Texans @ Colts might be a game for the ages.... for the Bears.

Imagine the pure joy of a Bears fan if the Texans beat the Colts, locking them into the #1 seed and the haul of all desperate hauls from a thirsty team.

It would be the first time the Bears ever had the first overall pick in the draft post-merger

They last had a first overall pick in 1947. It was RB Bob Fenimore, who was drafted despite injury history and retired after that season (played 10 of the 12 games) after discovering he could make more money and be happier selling life insurance than being a Bear

quote:

He finished his injury-shortened college career with 23 school records, including season and career total offense, and yards rushing and passing.

Even though his senior season had been ruined by injuries, the Chicago Bears made Fenimore the No. 1 pick in the 1947 NFL draft. He got a $2,000 signing bonus and three-year, $27,000 contract.

"I went ahead and played a year with the Bears, but it was kind of a waste of time," Fenimore said. "From one standpoint, I could earn more money selling life insurance than I could playing for the Bears."

So Fenimore retired after one pro football season.

the 2001 article posted:

A year before retiring from football in 1947, and on the very day he graduated from A&M, Bob Fenimore went to work for Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance in Oklahoma City. He and his wife, Veta Jo, lived in the city for seven years, and he rose to the level of supervisor.

"Then an opportunity came up where they wanted a district agency in Stillwater," Fenimore said. "The general agent asked me if I'd like to move to Stillwater, and it didn't take me long to say yes to that. That was the best move that I have ever made from a business standpoint."

Bob and Veta Jo have lived in Stillwater since 1953. They have lived in the same house on Fairway Drive, next to the Stillwater Country Club golf course, since 1978.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Bellmaker posted:

Why would you want a belichick disciple as HC :laffo:

I wouldn't even want 2022 Belichick as HC

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Also at least two of those three will not be there to play against 365 days from now

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Bird in a Blender posted:

Is Wentz really that much worse than Hinicke?

Absolutely, it’s a baffling decision

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Highbrow Slick posted:

Goddamn the Raiders are doing Carr so dirty. Not even going to practice or be at the last 2 games.

I agree they should have treated him better this year but I actually believe them about this aspect of it being a mutual agreement thing. He'd been openly emotional at multiple press conferences the past month (this last game being the most recent example) after losses, like he knew him being done with the team was a given, and after being there nearly a decade and being friends with everyone to the point it was the reason Davante came over to the team, it hurt. Stepping back, breathing, trying to relax and getting his own chance to say goodbye to them on his own time is probably better for him than being out there in-person on a set schedule and seeing how they do without him up close would be

I don't know if I'd have made it public in advance that he wasn't going to be there because it'd get this immediate negative reaction assuming it's another way he's getting hosed over, but the reaction would have definitely been worse if fans had to find it out during the games

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

fsif posted:

Longer piece from Vic Tafur: https://theathletic.com/4041696/2022/12/28/derek-carr-benched-raiders-mark-davis/?source=user_shared_article

tl;dr: Mostly just says Mark Davis has wanted to get rid of Carr for a while. Gruden was initially lukewarm on Carr but Carr won him over. McDaniels made the decision to keep Carr when he was hired but became agitated when Carr would throw his offense under the bus. Tafur still believes, though, the decision was Davis's and not McDaniels's.

https://twitter.com/VicTafur/status/1488288510637342721?t=j7ZYDGCeaNEVM5TXaxikuw&s=19
This was in January and didn't feel like an accident then and doesn't feel like one now

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The Broncos QB situation is still easily the most hosed one until 2026. Nowhere else has someone they'll a) definitely still be paying till then and b) probably still have till then because they're even more hosed financially if they try getting rid of him before then

Packers is closest but at least their QB is still able to win games right now
https://twitter.com/KenIngalls/status/1564077949242032128?s=20
https://twitter.com/KenIngalls/status/1564079181285261315?s=20

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

aperion posted:

You forgot the Browns QB situation, but that's okay because we're all actively cheering for them to faceplant with the rapist at QB.

I didn't forget. His money's fully guaranteed and he can be cut or traded at any time any year. They're definitely still hosed financially because of it obviously but they can at least technically play anybody at the position. The cap hit for getting rid of Deshaun any year is outright cheaper than cutting Rodgers next year, Rodgers waiting to move on in any capacity until '24 or '25, or anything to do with Russ from basically after next year ends on until literally 2026

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Someone will likely pay Lamar. If it were going to be the Ravens it would have happened already

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

They needed a historic run, ending in a ring, to be convinced to pay Flacco, and they almost immediately* regretted it. And that hesitation in paying him in the first place was for a QB that actually had relative playoff success (more than one playoff win) pre-historic-run-ending-in-ring

*It definitely didn't occur as quick as the Russ contract, that's 100% going to be the new "immediate regret" reference from now on

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

mllaneza posted:

Well, no. He was a hero last season, and only improved this year. I used to say that an NFL QB can't, simply cannot, have a signature interception. JimmyG doesn't have one anymore.

I am being brutally pragmatic here. The 49ers have a chance to have their top two QBs both be on their rookie contracts. This opens up a lot of cap room to pay other players, or even bring in another high-profile FA. York and Shanahan have to be considering this a very strong option.

Remember, this is the team that benched Joe Montana. Which made me a Chiefs fan, so that aspect of it worked out. But that's loving sacrilege. Joe. Benched.

It sucks that someone who plays out of their mind for a team and gets great results only to get passed over for the new hotness. It happens in the NFL. HoF QBs spend a decade plus with a team and retire from another one. Jimmy's injury history suggests he might be getting there. If the opportunity cost for having JimmyG under center for maybe not the whole season is not being able to resign Warner or Greenlaw, then that doesn't look good for Garoppolo in red and gold.

It's going to come down to three things. The first is how much cap space we need to free up to keep a team together than can match or exceed the success we have this year.

The second is JimmyG's long-term health prospects. We could keep Purdy as the backup, start JimmyG, and know we're okay at QB if the starter goes down. Or maybe he'd take another incentive-laden backup deal. I'd be cool with that, so long as we can still keep the band together.

Third, Shanahan is calling a more aggressive and more productive offensive scheme for Purdy. Garoppolo has a season QB Rating of a 101, his career best. Purdy is clocking in at 110 in his first four full (-ish) games. I think coach likes this kid. The team is on record as being wildly impressed with him and totally on board for the Brock Purdy Experience.

Ask me again after the Super Bowl, I may have a fourth point, or lose one.

e.

:frogout:

Run with Purdy and Jimmy. Sorry Lance; if it's any consolation you won't be the only young QB out (Zach and ideally Mac, in addition to the last days of contracts for Daniel Jones and Taylor Heinicke; I think Jones may stay)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

it's certainly hard to do worse!

For the first time in months I'll say I believe Russ can find a way

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

First time in a while BSOHL (Best Shape of his Life) has been used outside of preseason/training camp

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:shrug:

Every injury concern people have with Jimmy is just as valid for Lance, and both last played a full season anywhere in 2019. I would trust Purdy over either of them, and Jimmy over Lance

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I don't follow the nfl as much these days but are the broncos really missing the playoffs for the 7th season in a row?

:drat:

Remember when that SB with dying Peyton happened and everyone reacted with "it's all downhill from here"

Those downhill six years since were literally, each and every one of them, significantly better than this year has been for the team, and there's no current signs that any of the next four years will be better than this one because it was mortgaged for the benefit of another washed QB and stingier owners

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/CameronWolfe/status/1608917989965066242

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://raiderswire.usatoday.com/20...or-2023-return/

quote:

Raiders giving Davante Adams space to "feel however you feel" regarding what's happening to Carr, hoping he'll come around and be back with them next season

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Yeah, he did because his was longer via technicality and he has a ring :colbert:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

ESPN posted:

Atlanta Falcons practice squad wide receiver Cameron Batson was arrested early Saturday morning after allegedly fighting with police following a traffic stop and fleeing the scene.

According to a release from the Atlanta Police Department, Batson was pulled over around 2 a.m. Saturday after speeding and failing to maintain his lane on an interstate. Police said Batson was deemed intoxicated by an officer before the situation turned physical after the wide receiver allegedly resisted arrest.

During the altercation, according to police, the officer fired his gun, hitting no one, before Batson got back into his truck and drove away. Police say he crashed the truck, fled on foot and was found hiding by police and arrested.

Both Batson and the officer were taken to the hospital for treatment. No details of charges against Batson were immediately available.

The Falcons released a statement acknowledging Batson's arrest.

"We have been made aware of an overnight incident involving Cameron Batson and are currently gathering information from law enforcement agencies," the team said. "We take this matter seriously and have no further comment at this time."

Batson has been on the Falcons' practice squad since being cut in training camp. He previously spent four years with the Tennessee Titans, appearing in 27 games with 22 receptions for 197 yards and two touchdowns

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

:shrug:

Every injury concern people have with Jimmy is just as valid for Lance, and both last played a full season anywhere in 2019. I would trust Purdy over either of them, and Jimmy over Lance

Lance needed another surgery btw https://www.nfl.com/news/49ers-qb-trey-lance-underwent-second-surgery-expected-to-return-for-otas

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Has a division ever has two 13 win teams before

I don't think so

2013 NFC West: Seahawks 13, Niners 12
2013 AFC West: Broncos 13, Chiefs 11
1997 AFC West: Chiefs 13, Broncos 12
1990 AFC East: Bills 13, Dolphins 12

1985 AFC East had five teams and three had 11+ wins

edit: oops. 1999 did

AFC Central. Jags 14, Titans 13

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Diva Cupcake posted:

The Ravens are currently not good offensively because their superstar MVP QB is currently injured and not playing. Hth.

With Lamar there and healthy they've still blown games and leads (at one point 3 in 5 games, and a second away from a fourth), including one to the Jags even Wikipedia made fun of them for

quote:

the Ravens collapsed entirely, allowing a Jaguars comeback drive that ended with a Marvin Jones Jr. touchdown and a Zay Jones 2 point conversion to give the Jaguars the lead. After making a pathetic attempt to get Justin Tucker to kick the longest NFL field goal, set by Tucker himself, the kick fell short, and the Jaguars won.

If you don't want to argue that it's on Harbaugh and he's actually perfect, then ???