Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah the only real way to tank is via personnel decisions, e.g. deciding you're comfortable with a QB room where the most talented healthy player is Curtis Painter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Heinecke is probably as bad or worse than Wentz, people just like him a lot more and he's been the quarterback while the team has won.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I love that framing. Yep, that's why Carr has cleaned out his locker and won't be around the team for the final two weeks. He'd just distract people too much!

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Cthulu Carl posted:

I'm sure there's a real, Football Business reason for this, but I choose to believe that after being benched Derek was sitting in the back of team meetings trying to get pencils to stick in the ceiling tiles.

There's no football business reason; Carr just doesn't want to be there. He's been the face of the franchise for nearly a decade and a Belichick disciple dipshit and Bucky Larson rear end owner just decided to unceremoniously dump him in a particularly clunky, quasi-humiliating way.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The spicier theory is that he's trading for Mac Jones.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Longer piece from Vic Tafur: https://theathletic.com/4041696/2022/12/28/derek-carr-benched-raiders-mark-davis/?source=user_shared_article

tl;dr: Mostly just says Mark Davis has wanted to get rid of Carr for a while. Gruden was initially lukewarm on Carr but Carr won him over. McDaniels made the decision to keep Carr when he was hired but became agitated when Carr would throw his offense under the bus. Tafur still believes, though, the decision was Davis's and not McDaniels's.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Mega64 posted:

Tuck Rule broke a lot of people's brains, huh.

Yeah a bit self absorbed to act like it was the start a ref conspiracy against the Raiders. The ref conspiracy in favor of Brady affects all teams equally.

fsif fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 30, 2022

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Let the record show that Blaine Gabbert's career outlasted Cam Newton's.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

lol Adams needs to ask for a trade

In the locker room scrum after Carr was traded he kept saying, "right now we just need to focus on the next two games." Thought it was diplomatic but telling.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Surely, surely, fsif wouldnt have any clue what they were talking about before posting something that specific. Not as someone who has been posting here for probably over a decade that hasnt said anything racist before that I can remember. No it must be some racist poo poo. No other option.

I can understand why something perceived as an esoteric swipe at Newton could raise an eyebrow, especially considering the tone of a lot commentary on him throughout his career.

But yeah, to be very explicit, it was intended as just a joke about the draft class. I don't think the quintessential draft bust punchline that is Blaine Gabbert had a better career than Newton just because his was longer via technicality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah it'd be way more newsworthy if they weren't offering contracts. Doesn't really indicate whether or not they will be competitive contracts.