Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Crosby probably would have hit 9 in a row if not for injuries. He was pretty much a lock to hit 100 points if healthy prior to the 2014 season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Furnaceface posted:

The Connor Squander

They're already squandering one Connor they don't need to do it to another one

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 3, 2023

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Bedard on the Flyers would be fun even though I don't like the Flyers. The league is just more fun when the Flyers are good though. They're a rival to so many teams and a good villain. Ditto Montreal.

Anaheim or Columbus would be fun given those teams have some decent young talent already. Arizona would be amusing because of the thought of a player of that caliber toiling away there.

Vancouver would be kinda boring though I guess there's the hometown connection. San Jose seems like they have a good fanbase so I wouldn't mind that.

Chicago getting him would be yet more confirmation that we're in the worst timeline

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Vrana may very well clear and be sent down. Seems like coaches really dislike him.

Speaking of coaches disliking players I'm starting to sour a bit on Sullivan. I think he's a great coach but his player usage this year has been quite subpar and is hurting the team.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Which player(s) should he be using more?

Obviously Dumo and Carter are washed up but we can't know if Sullivan's hands are tied in terms of continuing to play them, and also they have no cap space and no prospects worth mentioning.

Sullivan's obsession with veterans is problematic but a lot of the Pens' lack of talent and youth is on JR and Burke.

POJ should be used more. Dumo and Carter less. DOC should be used more. Probably Kapanen used more as well. Probably never should have done a Rutta-Dumoulin pairing, but went with that for too long. Carter at 3c for way too long and also deployed as a shutdown center despite him being anything but.

Sullivan also went a maddeningly long time sticking with GCR even when they were sucking and despite GCRakell putting up great results earlier in the year. He's now gone back to GCR now that they've started to lose games.

Not a huge fan of his deployments this year. I don't think he's a bad coach. I think he's good or even great. But his player usage this year leaves much to be desired.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Sullivan aside though I think Hextall needs to do something. Sullivan can't keep playing Dumoulin if he isn't there. So, for me, some of the team issues can be laid at the feet of management.

I have a feeling they just don't want to make those kind of hard decisions. Dumoulin is probably well liked in the locker room so even though the team would be better off without him the most they'll do is reduce his usage and then not re-sign him in the off season.

If he's being regularly used in the playoffs (if they even get there) it will really hurt their chances though

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Scoring is inflated now so I'm not sure that averaging 40 is that unreasonable. There's like a trillion PPG players now. And there's like 20 players on pace for 40 goal seasons right now. Obviously not all of them will get there, but scoring is nuts right now. A few years ago being a PPG player would be considered the bench mark of an elite player. Now it's much less impressive.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Dirty Burger posted:

Originator of the phrase “rag it” up the boards

lol I totally forgot about that one

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Furnaceface posted:

Some team is going to slightly overpay for Kane. But that isnt what makes me excited.

What I cant wait for is the team overpaying for Toews' leadership and intangibles.

The Pens have no cap or I'm sure they'd be all over Toews

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Petry being on LTIR opens up enough cap space for the Pens to acquire pretty much anyone if the other team retains some

I feel like he'll be back before the deadline.

Pens being the Pens it's not out of the question someone else is hurt by then though

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Pens were allegedly kicking the tires on Toews earlier this year. Would prefer not. Same for Kane.

I think the better question, though, is what new ownership wants. Kind of forgot about that particular change in the Pens org and whether or not they trust Burkxtall to make these decisions vs conservative and stand pat. Either way would prefer an improvement on the left side of the defense... which is a tall ask considering what is available and a high quality 3rd liner.

A good 3c seems almost as important as improving on Dumo. But I suspect Carter is here to stay regardless so I dunno what they'll do.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Maybe I've caught them on the wrong nights but I haven't been that impressed when I've watched Boston. They're obviously good but they're riding unbelievable goaltending from Ullmark. We'll see if that continues into the playoffs. But I never watch them and think oh yeah this team is asserting its will and dominating xyz opponent. For the record they have I'd expect to watch them and see them kicking the poo poo out of their opponents and owning the puck but I rarely feel that way with them.

I have had that feeling watching Carolina but my issue with Carolina is they lack any creativity to their game and I'm not sure their whole gimmick of being more relentless than anyone else will give them the separation they need in the playoffs to win.

In conclusion I'm impressed by nobody so maybe Toronto can actually win the cup this year

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 6, 2023

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

There are only three contenders in the East: Boston, Tampa, and Carolina. The Rangers could still get back into that group but it looks unlikelier with each passing week. I'm still not buying Lindy's team as a contender. And the Leafs are, forever and amen, the Leafs.

As much as we lol and haha at them, Toronto is absolutely a contender. 4th best 5v5 xgoals, elite finishers, goaltending is decent this year.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Are you aware that they are the Toronto Maple Leafs?

The Pens were playoff chokers for years too

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

There are playoff chokers in later rounds and then there's collapsing year after year in the first round of the playoffs and not winning a playoff series in living memory.

It's coming. This is the year

They're just timing it so it will heat back up by playoff time

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TaylorHaasePGH/status/1611552211074519041?s=20&t=BHPyB0Gt4xK4aswkM7CAbA

Horrible. It sounds like they may have ended the game because of it too. Hope he's alright.

https://twitter.com/TaylorHaasePGH/status/1611553052607004672?s=20&t=BHPyB0Gt4xK4aswkM7CAbA

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mage_Boy posted:

Update to this:
https://twitter.com/WBSPenguins/status/1611740480483590144?t=ZmPEHCD3tgp8dfGSKs-Fkg&s=19

Seems like a concussion. The trainers and those of us in the stands thought it was possible he had a neck fracture. Yes, a concussion is bad but it could have been worse.

Yeah I hate to say hopefully it was just hot brain but uhh hopefully that's what it was.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

I haven't turned on him . I just think his usages have really sucked this year. Obviously he hasn't been helped by the players provided to him either nor has management recognized they need to take those players away from him.

It's unlikely he gets fired even if they miss. They just extended him, and FSG really likes him.

Far more likely Hextall takes the fall if the Pens miss

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Florida is 6th in 5v5 xgoals so I think they are capable of going on a crazy run and making the playoffs but they better start on that soon.

I think ultimately the Metro sends 5 and the Islanders/Sabres end up missing.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
JR sucked after the two cups but two cups is two cups so I would have been okay with him making GBS threads on the conclusion of Crosby and Malkin's careers if he'd wanted to stay.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Wonderllama posted:

back-to-back cups isn't even a big deal, everyone is doing it*

*except everyone else, lmao

yeah imagine not doing b2b cups in the cap era. prolly feels bad

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ThomasDrance/status/1613079945085063169?s=20&t=UDR2SsVxr7oRT4991LX0-Q

https://twitter.com/ThomasDrance/status/1613080161871876098?s=20&t=UDR2SsVxr7oRT4991LX0-Q

Those stats feel about right. That was a shockingly bad defensive effort by the Canucks last night.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

I love when fans of other teams watch the Canucks and see them put up a pretty standard performance and go "oh my god I see why you guys are complaining now." That was not in the least bit unusual. I do not think that "horrendous" really captures just how dire they are defensively.

I've watched them a few times this year as I usually have a game on at night even if the Pens aren't on but oof. They were so bad yesterday. My condolences.

I'd like to say it was because of the Pens but the Canucks made so many unforced errors defensively yesterday

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Kakko is worse than Laine, but better than Patrick. Maybe.

Isn't Kakko good at like everything but scoring. He's bizarro Laine

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

Probably because they got outshot 2:1 by the Blue Jackets when Columbus was on the second end of a b2b while Washington was rested. Hopefully Backstrom and Wilson play better tonight.

Washington needs to keep winning because they really need to avoid the wild card this year. Avoiding Carolina and especially Boston in the first round seems like a prudent move. Much rather they take their chances with one of NJ/NYR/PIT.

The Pens and Caps having one last battle that reminds people how cool Ovie/Sid/Geno are and then the winner promptly getting swept by Carolina in the second round.

Next to no chance that happens though. I don't see New Jersey slipping past third place

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Yeah those look pretty cool

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

The worst/most boring team I've ever seen was the Penguins just before Crosby and Malkin got there, 2003-2004. They were awful.

The 22-23 Ducks might actually be the worst team since the 1990s expansions though. They're certainly giving the 2019-20 Red Wings a run for their money.

Yeah the 03-4 team was pretty god awful. I saw them in person against the Devils and that was about as lopsided as a matchup could be.

A part of me is surprised there aren't even more horrible teams this year given Bedard and given how good in general the top 4 is supposed to be. Anaheim not even having 100 GF yet is pretty impressive in a league that has become pretty high scoring again.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Happy Birthday to Connor McDavid. And also to me. Hopefully the next 40 years of my life has less decades of darkness, more boys on the bus + hangman games.

Happy birthday.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
From an on-ice perspective the Ducks and Hawks are pretty woeful. Staggeringly bad. It's on purpose to get Bedard but I wonder how quickly they can turn that boat around even with him, and whichever one of them doesn't get him is gonna be in bad shape for a while yet.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Carter has at least produced in the playoffs while here, which is something McCann struggled with. But Carter's underlying numbers have still sucked in the playoffs so that's probably as much luck as anything.

The Pens bottom six is an absolute mess this year and it may cost them a playoff spot. Even if they get there, I cannot imagine that they go very far with this roster.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The Pens barely beat the Ducks and should have lost if Fowler had any hockey sense at all to anticipate Zegras' great pass.

gently caress me if this team isn't a pain to watch right now.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I hope the Flyers crowd relentlessly boos him for the duration of his time there (and after). If any crowd would, it'd be them.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Torts and Provorov are gonna (deservedly) see a ton of backlash from this. They probably would anywhere but especially in Philly imo.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

shyduck posted:

Honestly it probably won't be as large as you'd think here. Flyers are virtually an afterthought and the Eagles are in the playoffs.

We'll see I guess. Philly is pretty liberal so I'd be surprised if a lot of people aren't up in arms over this

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/GMillerTSN/status/1615760220197617692

So who misses?

I still think the Oilers are going to finish second in the Pacific (their schedule is pretty good the second half and they've been a good team for a while and Campbell isn't the worst goaler on earth anymore) and one of the Kings/Flames/Avs will miss altogether.

I feel like Florida has the talent to go 24-12 but I don't see it happening

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
How did nobody on the Oilers kill Maroon for this

https://twitter.com/spittinchiclets/status/1616266319971729409?s=20&t=v4jkwRMZdJwHi1auQiV1-A

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

lol don't make excuses for the Oilers ineptness at the time. They overpaid Lucic and then kept trading and signing grinders so they could be "tough to play against". And then Connor liked playing with Kassian cause Connor is a hockey player.

at the time?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

https://twitter.com/timandfriends/status/1616520533184495618?t=LriVObNCZI9UKxK7qRg9gg&s=19

It's just delightful that the Canucks consistently kill the spark of joy in people.

You are almost certainly correct and I hate that so much.

drat. I've always liked Bruce even when he was with the Caps. I hope he gets a cup some day as a coach.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

He's 68, about to be fired by the Canucks, and not at all respected by the hockey establishment. His coaching career is almost certainly over.

This is the NHL we're talking about here. If he wants to keep working he'll get a job at some point. The NHL is terrified of bringing in anyone new to coach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The Pens should be interested in Horvat since 3c is a big weakness for them and they have no insurance right now at all if Crosby or Malkin get hurt.

It would require salary out for them though so they might have to overpay to make it happen. But he would fill a big need.