Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
what is up with goaltending, it’s spelled kuemper you fucks

Propaganda Hour posted:

n/v for Nov+Dec is going to be the Blues upcoming 7 game losing streak

they did not have a 7 game losing streak in november or december

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

:toxx: The Buffalo Sabres will make the playoffs this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ThinkTank posted:

The Habs left Jake Allen in for all 9 goals lol

big roy moment

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

tomanton posted:

The outdoor game is forecast to be well above freezing, is this gonna work?

Yes. This has happened before. The NHL has a literal crack team of ice making experts they send to these games to create and maintain the playing surface. They have huge chillers and stuff. From what players have said it’s not great ice when ambient is above 0c, but it’s certainly good enough to play on. You might see more scrapes and there will be some soft spots near the hash marks on whichever end is getting the most sun.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Yikes that Florida line

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

stab posted:

Doesnt really matter that pick is Montreals lol

Thanks Ben Chiarot!

…that’s how the sadness chart works. It’s not just making the playoffs or not, it’s also whether you’ll likely get a high lottery pick (that your team hasn’t already traded away). So Florida is getting very “sad” because they’re falling out of playoff position AND they’ll have nothing to show for it. Conversely very bad teams with their first round pick aren’t very high on the chart.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

Did anyone have any idea Connor Timmins was this good?

That’s not a player, that’s the office drink order.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I love this and I want to share it with everyone but no one else in my life knows both “eat hot chip and lie” and Torts

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mennoknight posted:

yeah big python disorder

too much time in the weights room, not enough time on the shrink's couch

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

clean ayers act posted:

https://twitter.com/IanKennedyCK/status/1614433393004912642?s=20
the nhl is gonna get so many viewers! from being on tucker carlson:

Didn’t Carlson already go after the NHL once this year for some nonsense reason?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ThinkTank posted:

Canucks flawlessly tanking right now.

you put your left hand in
you put your left hand out
you put your right hand in
and you shake it all about
you put your right hand - no actually it's not coming out it's stuck

oh god
it's mangled
that's horrifying

well, maybe next year

a cursory check did not tell me which of pearson's hands was damaged, don't be a pedant and ruin the joke

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

T-Bone posted:

e: More teams not outright tanking for Bedard continues to be the most insane loving thing ever, especially when the next 3 guys all look great too. The NHL had this figured out in loving 1984! Just absolute lunacy that bad teams are trying to ice competitive teams this year

I mean really it's the Flyers, the Flyers are unreal

I think it was Jeff Marek who made the point that it’s all well and good to say your team should tank for Bedard, but tanking requires someone else to trade your cast-off players to. The problem is that the majority of NHL teams are tight to the cap already. The whole league is incredibly constipated, and the teams with cap space are mostly the ones trying to tank already! So there’s really not much room to try and make a move to actually go ahead and tank, regardless of who you are or who you have to sell.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

.Spec posted:

The Kraken's contract situation is the worst part of their books IMO. Grubauer's contract is unmovable and it's too early to buy him out, Jones is playing too well to stash when Drieger comes back and I think he's slated to be back sooner rather than later. I'm very curious to see how they navigate that and if they end up with 3 goalies on the roster or if Drieger gets reps in the AHL for a while. To your question though, both Grubauer and Dreiger have a NTC and a buyout would be brutal so I'm betting Jones walks and gets overpaid by someone. The only real out is if some team not on Drieger's list of 10 teams trades for him and they give Jones that money. Who knows though, if Drieger comes back healthy I'm ok with Jones moving on cause I do not trust that dude in the least.

Don’t make me add “it’s Driedger you fucks” to next month’s OP. I’ll do it. So help me hockey gods.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Simplex posted:

The long and short of it with Colorado is injuries, especially among the top 6 forwards. Even without Landeskog they're the best team in the west. Missing two guys they're still a playoff team. The problem this year is they've been fielding lineups like:

Compher - Newhook - Rantanen
A bunch of AHL guys

If you're in the west and haven't put any daylight from this team you should be concerned, or just hope that they continue to stay injured.

Reminder that they’re currently 10th in the conference. Like injuries sure but that doesn’t look super dangerous even for the defending champions.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Why the hell is Bruce There It Is not the thread title yet

i made the thread, i can CLOSE the thread, but i cannot change the title of the thread after posting it

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Does "boring" hockey even work anymore?

depends. does elon musk own the team?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

clean ayers act posted:

the thing that has always put hasek ahead of roy and brodeur for me is the 98 olympics. that czech team was not exactly full of all stars and he had a .97(!) GAA and a .963 SV . i mean thats just insane

just lol at this piece of hockey on the internet history:

Only 4 D feels a little light.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

clean ayers act posted:

yeah i think in 97 it was probably more difficult to find out the rosters and they just posted what they knew.

That makes sense. I'm just like "I know D-men played more back then but running four guys for 30+ minutes each across at least four games is not a winning strategy" in my head.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

That's it, it's go time. Pick anything in the room I'll lift it over my head

Yourself.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Koopa Kid posted:

That list is a pretty good argument against the idea that goaltending wins is a stat that matters

You know and I know we just have Andersen sour grapes

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Koopa Kid posted:

The NHL is an atavistic league, it’s obsessed with “returning” to some idealized state of the game that nobody wants and was objectively worse and less entertaining. Progress is actively opposed and resented.

Toronto wants it - if we went back to the original six our chances of winning a cup go WAY up.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ThinkTank posted:

It's not much of a price and they dumped an inefficient contract as part of it. I genuinely do not understand why the Islanders would make an all in move this year of all years.

Senility?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ThinkTank posted:

The Hockey Hall of Dudes Lanny McDonald Knows

Still better than the BBWAA.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

eXXon posted:

Boy, where did I hear that one before?

there was respect in the handshake line this year that wasn't there before

i'm sorry i'm being very lazy this month

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So the NBA has some known poo poo talkers, does the NHL have some dudes who are world class chirpers

Morgan Reilly, king of the “rag it”

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

This is SAS. It's important we wait for the tired gimmick.

I’ve been in a depressive episode. gently caress you.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

rex rabidorum vires posted:

lol wtf is this big brained bullshit.

keefe is explicitly saying they're trying stuff out while they've got time and that both ror and acciari will also be playing at wing while they figure out a good fit

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Both of these are also Big Brained bullshit. Pep Guardiola is taking notes on how big brained these coaching decisions are.

if acciari and ror can't line up at wing or center what position do you expect them to play? ebug?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mennoknight posted:

I'm ready to put a hit out on markstrom holy gently caress

2 minutes for goaltender interference

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Call Your Grandma posted:

woof. RoR looks washed

Just quoting this post for no reason at all

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Matt Zerella posted:

Kekkolinan couldn't fleece someone for a mediocre player. Honestly good for the Bs for finding something better as much as I hate seeing them improve from scary to terrifying.

Kekalainen. He's Finnish, he doesn't make soy sauce.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr. Fish posted:

No more Boston

Society has moved past the need for Boston

What do you think the British were trying to do in the 1770s

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

T-Bone posted:

LeBrun did a post Meier thing

Really wonder who they'll pivot to, although I think they're correct to not trade Nikishin. JVR or Schmaltz I suppose.

I haven't been paying super close attention but it feels like the Canes have swung and missed at enough trades this past week to appear standing still while everyone else is gearing up. It's weird, they're #1 in the Metro last I looked and nothing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

grack posted:

Pittsburgh clearly needs to trade for Tyler Myers. He is very tall.

E: Every time I see that picture it disturbs me just a little bit more.

that neck is photoshopped, right

....right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
march thread is up: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4025946