Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Leafs are going to the Finals (where they will lose to Arizona in 5).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Quick had better than league average goaltending for 5 out of the last 11 seasons so the infamous tweet was almost half right.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://twitter.com/TicTacTOmar/status/1610463085227315202

I immediately thought of the time two pairs of Leafs collided with each other, leaving just one skater standing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aubV_tKfkUI#t=5s

... but I could swear there was another incident in the mid-late 00s?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Yeah that's a likely fate for Tage if he destroys his knee and stops riding shotgun with a dominant 6'4 120 point center.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Why isn't anyone talking about the biggest NHL news?

https://mobile.twitter.com/ETCanada/status/1610682980929867784

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I love that the Flyers stink and also it was really cool to see Timmy Liljegren almost score a shorthanded goal on a wicked blast from the slot, only to try again on the ensuing faceoff and actually do it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hand Knit posted:

Did anyone have any idea Connor Timmins was this good?

My ~eye test~ doesn't match the fancy stats but either way he's vastly exceeding expectations. He got absolutely clobbered crashing the crease last night so I can only assume it's just a matter of time before he's broken again.

I think the more important question is what's your all-time Ontario towns team? Something like:

F. Hamilton - Lindsay - D. Hamilton
Timmins - Barrie

Can't believe there hasn't been a good Kingston/Windsor/London recently.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Didn't he kill a guy while DUI

Uhh, not that I know of. Maybe you're thinking of Craig MacTavish.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

DancingMachine posted:

Eeli Tolvanen has 5 points in 5 games with the Kraken. His +/- is 5 as well. Why did Nashville not play him and cut him loose?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Trade Provorov for Chychrun and watch as they both get worse.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ThinkTank posted:

How does it feel to be the unassuming middle child everyone forgets about?

Watch this 53 year old whale get hosed HARD by a 59 year old!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

rex rabidorum vires posted:

You're doing a lot of assuming that there wasn't a whole bunch of incompetence and pressure put on the player to do what the team wanted/needed and not what was best for the players best interest IMO.

But enough about Auston Matthews' multi-year lingering wrist injury that still hasn't healed properly but only causes him to miss games when he's "under the weather".

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Well there was apparently a cobra king who was murdered by his wife, so...

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Just lol if your sports grudges aren't all decades old, involving long-since retired players.

e: gently caress YOU Steve Webb and Cam Janssen you pieces of poo poo!!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

it's also loving New Jersey, everyone even marginally associated with that state has a massive chip on their shoulder at all times.

Eh gently caress you too buddy!! Your Penn station loving sucks and your trains are covered in piss!

... that's a segue to say thank you to ESPN+, which has allowed me to watch zero of the last three Leafs games, because one was on TNT, another on the NHL Network, and a third on ESPN, which obviously is not included with ESPN+ (yes I know they explained this arrangement in the off season, it's still ridiculously stupid).

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Twin Cinema posted:

Nick Robertson is done for another 6 months. I don't think I have seen such a cursed player.

Hopefully he transferred all of his remaining positive vibes to Matthew Knies, our last great top 6 LW hope (my expectations for Amirov are tempered for, you know, reasons).

In other news, some Flyers fan's friend hand painted them this for Christmas:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

What a dickhead. He should go play for whichever team was dumb enough to sign Tony D long term.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

DJExile posted:

Yeah Philly as a city hasn't given a poo poo about the flyers for a good 6-7 years now. That's why they made these dumbshit splashy moves and kept saying this was just a re-tool, they're desperate to get tickets sold.

I got a call from a Flyers season ticket rep after buying tickets to two Leafs @ Flyers games, months apart (and come to think of it unless I used ticketmaster how did they get my number? oh whatever stubhub and the rest probably sell all of your data too).

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

https://twitter.com/LeafsPR/status/1615754013697527808?s=20&t=Ty993i14LF96S8xd3tJnpw

This better be temporary roster shenanigans because he’s probably their best 4th liner

McMann and Anderson are tops in CF% and xGF%. Just sayin'.

If he's staying (supposedly sick?) I'm unclear on who's supposed to center the bottom 2 lines unless it Jarnkrok/Kerfoot + Kampf though.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://twitter.com/hartgoat/status/1616151913199972353

lol. You show them, checkmarks!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I mean it would be pretty cool if the Leafs built social housing instead of generic shitbox condos.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Canucks will demand Wright + 1st and end up with Kotkaniemi + 2nd.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

More like Bruce there it isn't in Vancouver anymore.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

(Kreider's PP miss wasn't technically a shot so doesn't count towards xG)

Huh? Was it not a shot attempt?

Ginette Reno posted:

As long as the NHL allows that behavior in the playoffs - and they still do even to this day

Chuckling at the notion that it's only in the playoffs.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It listed forwards and goalies from outside the NHL. However, it's possible that this is more scrutiny than strictly necessary for a screenshot of thehockeynut.com from 1997.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://twitter.com/pat_foran_11/status/1619189328575623168

No further comment at this time.

Actually I lied, if Murray's fighting something why the gently caress was he out for warmup? And why has he still been dressing as the backup pretty much every game if he's not healthy??

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

fawning deference posted:

Also I'm very skeptical of that chart because it doesn't have any lines from the Bruins, Lightning, or Devils. That's suspicious.

It has a Lightning line 7th and Bruins line 14th, right in the embedded preview??

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Arivia posted:

Toronto wants it - if we went back to the original six our chances of winning a cup go WAY up.

*furiously computes odds of Leafs beating Rangers and Bruins losing to Red Wings* ah, well, about that.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Dom L made some player cards for the Leafs (and probably a bunch of other teams) and they are uhhhh interesting:

Listen, I can believe that Tavares' defensive play is improved this season. I'm not much of an xG believer but naturalstattrick has him close to the team lead in xGA/60 and actual GA/60 (worth noting he's a +9 in GA 5v5 but a -1 on the season so how many SH/4v4/3v3/6v5 GA has he been on for??). You can also see Keefe has preferred putting him on to defend leads in the final couple of minutes to Matthews or even the collection of interchangeable bottom 6 forwards (Kampf gets roughly equal billing). But man, those numbers vary wildly season to season. And then we get to the defensemen...

Timmy Liljegren is doing (not falling down a, ha ha haaaa) pretty well. But he's got a middling xGA, whereas his stellar 1.22 5v5 GA/60 is probably unsustainably propped up by a 95.8 on-ice sv%. And the whole point of this exercise is to isolate individual player contributions, right? If you add up all the Leafs' D cards' market value you get:

Rielly: $6.8M, Giordano $7.2M, Brodie $6.2M, Holl: $3.7M, Liljegren: $9.3M, Sandin $6.8M.

Yes, the Leafs are a great team, and top 10 in the league defensively. But good lord they are not all individually worth that much.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Those have been out for months, they get updated every week for every player and team. All that market value number means is that the current level of play, when compared to every other defenseman who has performed at that level, is hypothetically worth that much in a system where every team has infinite money. Most decent players have a market value that's significantly higher than their actual salary in this exercise.

If every team has infinite money then every player should surely be worth either $0 or $INT_MAX, no?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Alex Kerfoot will score a Cup-winning goal. I will not be taking any further questions.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

clean ayers act posted:

tanking is cool, more teams should tank. half the teams that think they have a shot at a championship dont have any shot at all. but owners want that sweet playoff box money

The owners hear your concerns and are drafting a plan to expand the playoffs to 24 teams.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I don't know who Bob Stauffer is but this article from 2016 is great:

quote:

Basically his scenario had the Edmonton Oilers winning the draft lottery and making a deal with the Arizona Coyotes. It went as such:

To Arizona: 1st overall selection in 2016 (Auston Matthews)
To Edmonton: Dylan Strome, the 7th overall, 18th overall, and 37th overall picks in 2016.

Thankfully Edmonton got Puljujarvi instead of, hypothetically, Dylan Strome, Clayton Keller, Logan Stanley, and Libor Hajek. You know, I think I would've kept Matthews.

quote:

[David] Staples didn’t like it so much saying the following: "It would be next to madness to trade any of the top three picks in this draft unless you’re bringing back a player like P.K. Subban or Erik Karlsson."

Now I'm tittering, imagining the Oilers picking Laine 2nd and then trading him for Subban.

Any idiot could :iceburn: Steve "Dangle".

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ThinkTank posted:

All three of these guys were on the Canucks roster at the same time in 2018/19.

Ah, but that makes them parallel rapists/misogynists (allegedly).

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Matthews is gonna lift the cup with the bloody stump of his wrist, the rest of his hand dangling off to the side attached only by a thin strip of skin and that paste trainers use to fix up messy high stick wounds.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Leafs fans will pour out into the streets to celebrate and the Jake Gardiner Expressway will finally collapse from the weight thereof.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ginette Reno posted:

Tbh though I thought Toronto played pretty well last year and could have won that series.

Boy, where did I hear that one before?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

VOTE1 posted:

2 thoughts, pretty sure future player development is not it..

1) digital subscriptions- lots of (globally) rich potential customers who will happily pay for streaming services.

2) sports betting- australia has some of the loosest gambling regulations and combined with a culture of “having a bet” (we have a public holiday for a horse race..) means we will happily invest the kids education fund on whether or not McDavid has an odd or even number of shifts in the 2nd period. It’s obviously part of the new NHL financial model and we can pour some money if given the invitation. Suspect at the moment average gambler here wouldn’t know enough to feel confident betting, perhaps some local games and increased coverage would help.

Aussies are easy to get obsessed with sports. I enjoyed playing in Perth's three ice rinks while I lived there, and watching NHL games from 8:30-9:30AM while you could rewind and skip ads easily with nhl.tv, but... 7PM ET is 7AM in Perth half the year and 10AM on the east coast where most people live. Is there really such a bjg market for people betting on live sports in the morning/early afternoon?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Premier league popularity has been up ticking pretty well in the US , and most games are 8am to 10am (and some in the afternoon), so I would say yes.

Well that's another thing, there's no shortage of North American sports leagues including two different varieties of footy, why go for the pucky?

VOTE1 posted:

You can bet from your phone via an app in Australia (something that I didn’t realise some places couldn’t). I can imagine plenty of worksites where guys are betting on morning break. Or lunch break or fuckit, during work.

Or just follow a west coast team, I’m in Adelaide and Canucks games start at 1:30.

Now I'm vaguely curious how much betting is done during game play and/or by people actually watching the game vs just the scoreboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I'm excited to see how they follow up these blackjack and Miami Vice all star games with a Toronto themed one. I hope they capture the essence of the city: traffic jams, hot dog carts, and a tower.

- Shoot the puck at a gallery of garbage bins (regular size) and green bins (smaller, for organics). Hit every target and dunk a player into a tank of hungry raccoons.
- Players ride the streetcar to the game, only to have it randomly short turn three times and leave them stranded in front of Kessel's second favourite hot dog stand.
- Take your hardest shot at any designated piece of Toronto's crumbling infrastructure; whoever takes off the largest chunk wins a no-bid maintenance contract.