Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
They almost never call that too much mans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I'm conflicted about generational talent. I mostly have to go to YouTube to see Connor sicknasty plays which is a bummer, but on the plus side he rarely burns my team.

I guess since the Caps are going to stink soon anyway, I'd rather see him be good in the East. The current crop of Hart candidates in the Eastern Conference isn't going to challenge McD: Kucherov, Tage, Pasta... Weirdly Crosby has decent Vegas odds for the Hart too.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I was sort of assuming he had caught the Kuzy taste for cocaine, but he must be up to some worse poo poo than that.

Only one year left on his contract.

e: I still really don't like Mantha but I guess we won that trade after all.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 3, 2023

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I don't think Tage is this good. But he is certainly very good. Probably a safe bet for 40 goals and 80+ points per year for most of that contract, which is excellent.

He's got a fantastic shot, is big, and does sicknasty dangles to create for himself. Not sure what part of that would be unsustainable. I guess if at some point the team decided they cared about defense it might put a damper on things.

That was a really fun game and I was happy the Caps got away with a point. I still think Buffalo is challenging for WC2 easily.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I mean, it look like Kiviranta was holding his stick and possibly broke it? Seems only fair to take his stick as compensation.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Boston has 30 wins and it's only January 6

I have money now on Boston winning the Cup and Ullmark winning the Vezina. Because if the results on ice are going to make me sad, I might as well get cash from it.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I feel like Carolina is the better bet. While I would like the Bruins to win, of course, going through the Atlantic side of the bracket is brutal. They'll almost certainly have to face one or both of Toronto and Tampa Bay at some point, and then maybe Carolina on top of that.

I can't fault your logic, but I just don't really believe in Carolina in the playoffs. High volume perimeter shooters, middling to bad special teams, goaltending question marks. And any of the other Metro teams can go super saiyan randomly.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It's weird that Mantha hasn't worked out in Washington. Idk if it's depth problems or what but he's been so underwhelming, and he was pretty good in Detroit.

He's had every opportunity, dude just coasts most of the time.

There was a glimmer of something in the playoffs when he got some snarl in his game and started throwing his big rear end around. Unfortunately the chance to show something was brief.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

idk one cup was nice

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

fawning deference posted:

I also think they could conceivably beat any Metro they'd get in the first round. Boston, Tampa, or Carolina is going to be a series loss.

I do expect them to add a winger at the deadline who can score and I also expect Luke Hughes to be with the team for the playoffs so they actually might be super fuckin good

If that game was any indication I think they can beat Carolina in 7. Canes were the team getting the bounces and they still lost. I've said ITT how I think their style isn't built for playoff success and I still think that's true.

Plus Vitek is the kind of goalie who doesn't steal games but he doesn't lose a lot of them either. That might be enough.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Why do I feel like the Caps are losing to the Flyers tonight?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Chad Sexington posted:

Why do I feel like the Caps are losing to the Flyers tonight?

I am a sports genius

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

They're pretty sad. Their first round of youngsters in Sonny Milano, Sam Steel and Max Jones totally flamed out and now their second round in Comtois and Lundestrom have taken big steps backwards. Really beyond Zegras, Drysdale and McTavish there's not a lot to that team. They have a long rebuild ahead.

Did you know Dmitri Kulikov plays for them? I did not.

Sonny Milano has quietly been a pretty serviceable cheap middle 6 player for the Caps this year. He's played with Ovi some and has down pretty OK filling in on the PP1 at times.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Are road wins and goals per game also broken?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The Devils are a team I've been sort of rooting for the past few seasons because they've got exciting young players and have been bad for a while. In just half a season their fans destroyed all that good will by being annoying online. Which is fine, they should enjoy their team and all that, but I don't like them anymore and I hope they fail.

Where are they annoying online more than every other Metro team?

If you're going to root for them to fail, do it because they're knowingly icing someone who committed sexual assault allegedly maybe probably.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

mcmagic posted:

The Devils home/road stuff is getting silly.

It's only "little brother" in context of media coverage in the market. It's not like the rangers ever win anything to be jealous of.

Franchise-wise this is true. But New Jersey in general has a little brother thing with New York and it bleeds onto the ice.

(As a younger brother and New Jersey native I would add that this is entirely justified. "Why do you have such a chip on your shoulder?" New Yorkers ask, as they dump all their garbage within sight of the city in New Jersey and then complain that the whole state must smell of their poo poo.)

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

The Caps came back from a three-goal deficit to win! ...against the Islanders, but still!

Mind_Taker posted:

Yeah it was fun to see him make some plays last night. He's still super slow but he seems maybe a step faster than last year. But until he proves otherwise I'm still skeptical he's going to be effective due to the nature of the surgery.

Wilson also had his best game since returning. Hopefully both guys were just rusty as hell and are back up to game speed because they're about to enter a tough stretch in their schedule.

I think the crucial thing for the Caps is not to loving scratch Strome so you can play Backstrom and Eller. These were the lines last night and I liked how balanced they were:

Ovechkin-Strome-Sheary
Mantha-Kuzy-Oshie
Milano-Backstrom-Wilson
Johansson-Dowd-Hathaway

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Chad Sexington posted:

I think the crucial thing for the Caps is not to loving scratch Strome so you can play Backstrom and Eller. These were the lines last night and I liked how balanced they were:

Ovechkin-Strome-Sheary
Mantha-Kuzy-Oshie
Milano-Backstrom-Wilson
Johansson-Dowd-Hathaway

Apparently Lavy just has his lines in a randomizer. Tonight Aube-Kubel is a first line winger! Kuznetsov in for Dowd on the fourth line! Scratch Mantha for reasons.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Thank you to the Arizona Coyotes for briefly making me believe the Capitals are world-beaters.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

He's 68, about to be fired by the Canucks, and not at all respected by the hockey establishment. His coaching career is almost certainly over.

I hope the Caps bring him back for one of Ovechkin's last seasons.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

th3t00t posted:

Would be a pretty good team with more consistent play out of the top 3 lines.

Most would, yes.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

who is going to fill the bald surly chair on the TNT NHL broadcasts now

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I haven't watched the last few Caps games because they've been a bummer and checked in on Caps news coverage... and now they're talking about Joel Edmundson as a possible trade deadline target. What the gently caress?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

But seriously, he was extremely good tonight. Even when he isn’t scoring, he is making insane plays like the setup of the OT winner last night. If Washington loses, the Sabres will be 3 points back with three games in hand. They still play Washington two more times :getin:

Caps looking like butt lately too. Buffalo doubters beware.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

glynnenstein posted:

Backis and Wilson coming back seems to have badly disrupted the lineup chemistry that had been so hot before. Add to that Dowd being out for the last 10 days or whatever and Carlson's extended ear amputation injury and I think it explains a lot of what changed from December to January. They're too old and thin in depth to succeed without an optimal lineup.

I suppose you could argue though that their success without Brown, Backstrom, Wilson (and Oshie for stretches) is actually evidence that their depth was quite good. Backstrom and Wilson was supposed to be a step towards a more optimal lineup and it's turned out to be Not That.

Dowd being out is a bigger deal than Carlson IMO. Gustaffson has stepped in for Johnny C on the PP and I don't think has missed much of a beat. But that fourth line has been crazy good and Dowd is one of their leading scorers despite also being a PK and getting tons of defensive deployments.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

The Dirty Burger posted:

It was worth posting the jfresh graph just to see how bad of a contract season Klingberg is having. Tony D sucking will always be funny too

https://twitter.com/jfreshhockey/status/1618267163051323393?s=46&t=Ua4mS68sUQQOYqq7yHJjrg

This supports my earlier post about John Carlson's ear removal not being a big deal.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Ten bucks says they cop out and place Crosby and Ovi in a tie

I don't think so. Crosby has always been the more complete player, he's just injured more often. They'll probably put them back to back though.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

enjoy seeing posters talk about all the things that Bourque didn't win as evidence of his greatness

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

The Caps beat the Pens but I feel no more confident about their prospects than I did before.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Mike_V posted:

the blues got crushed by the coyotes 5-0. if this doesn't make armstrong sell off every older player, i don't know what will

I'm a betting genius and had a parlay on Colorado, Calgary and St. Louis last night. So somehow Anaheim, Chicago and Arizona all put up five-spots.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

You'd have to be pretty chill to just be cool with war crimes.

perpetuating war crimes is what drives the economy for the whole region so yeah

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

fawning deference posted:

It's truly amazing how Edmonton basically has 4 100-point players and solid goaltending from Skinner and yet is barely seen as a threat

The Western Conference is bad and they have just as much of a shot to luck their way to a Cup final as anyone.

Hell, maybe the Canes or Bruins will get beat up enough on their way there that they could even win. Who knows?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Mind_Taker posted:

I don’t know that I agree with this. Washington is in dire need of top-end talent and not just another complementary player. Outside of Ovechkin Washington’s top 6 forwards are easily among the worst of all playoff teams/fringe teams. Oshie and Backstrom are old and broken, Kuznetsov is in la la land most of the time, Mantha never gelled, Strome is fine but is a 2C playing higher than he should be, Wilson is fine but certainly not elite, etc.

I don’t think Boeser really does much for them. If they are going to target an expensive player might as well go all in for Timo Meier and extend him. He’s a guy who can actually anchor a scoring line.

Yeah the Caps are lousy with complimentary wingers. Sheary, MoJo, Milano, Mantha, Wilson. Boeser before his injury might have worked, but not Boeser now. Which is why it's funny The Athletic says Toews makes sense. Ah yes, another center.

Tarasenko would be fun for the Russian factor. IDK, I don't think they should be giving up assets given their prospects. They should offload Eller too if they can.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

HookShot posted:

Did the Caps tell the league they would get Ovi to show up for the all star game if he gets to rest for a whole week after or something?

Sounds plausible. He's been happy to take the suspension to skip previously.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

clean ayers act posted:

cbc's the national did a story on ovechkin/putin which is not anything we don't already know but did make some interesting points about the "he has family in russia so he cant say anything" argument
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ2Ci9x-Hfs

also watch if youre interested in seeing hasek sitting uncomfortably close to an interviewer

I've never really bought that argument. Like what, he takes the Putin picture off his Instagram and his family gets polonium cocktails straight away? I doubt it. His privilege comes from being part of this system (which he married even more deeply into) and it's potentially awkward and comprising to do anything about it. He's not like... responsible for dead Ukrainians. But he doesn't have a gun to his head either.

Yes, I now he's still in my avi.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Mind_Taker posted:

Yeah Pittsburgh theoretically has the much easier path to becoming contenders again. Getting good depth players is doable over the course of an offseason and TDL.

Washington is in a much worse position going forward. Their prospect pool stinks and their star players stink (relative to other teams’ cores). How exactly are they supposed to bring in a 1C and like two more top 6 wingers? They really don’t have any way to do that.

They also can’t really rebuild because they want to get Ovechkin to 895 and they need some decent talent around to help get him there.

The future is bleak but hey it’s been a fun ride and 895 should be one more big accomplishment before years of sucking. It’s been worth it.

Which is why they probably don't make any moves outside of maybe shuffling Eller on. I think they just keep Ovi's buddies (Backstrom, Oshie, Orlov) on the team and ride it out this season. Unclear what the future holds though for a dude like Orlov who deserves $$.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

deoju posted:

Every player is a hired gun. Instead of booing a player fans should be pissed at their GM for not making a better offer.

However, if Gaudreau is on the 4th line in Columbus and still getting 7.75m in 5 years, feel free to lol.

Booing rules. People should boo more players IMO.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

gently caress the penguins tho

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Betting against the Caps has been fruitful lately. What with my insider info that they suck.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Yeah but that's not fun though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Betting against my team: still fruitful.