Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is foob over, or is Lynn still pumping out new strips set in the timeless nowhere you’d see if it was in reruns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

And with the new year, let's celebrate the triumphant return to the thread of Slylock Fox by Bob Weber Jr.! It's a long-running comic for kids, featuring simple Sherlock-Holmes-type mysteries, plus games and puzzles.

Today also features a drawing courtesy of Sadie, age 10, of a hollow-eyed specter that stares into your soul and can follow you into your dreams. Further bonus materials: a (presumed) mistake in the text about who invented the duplicator ray, and how to draw an anthropomorphic nutsack.

It’s my secret shame that almost never do I get all of the differences between the two images. There’s a real art to creating those that Webber really understands. Or I’m a moron.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kliban is wonderful. I love those cats.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Not creepy at all, Stell. :stare:

If Mary Worth is using this story to highlight the problem of depression and suicide among veterinarians, that’s a worthy and a thoughtful use of the strip. I had been wondering if this story was heading in that direction. Basically, veterinarians are at high risk of suicide because they’re motivated by compassion and end up seeing animal and human suffering that they can’t relieve, plus they have unrestricted access to suicide drugs and the technical skill to dose them correctly. Doctors don’t see the same outcome partially because hospitals keep the drugs locked up and partially because they’re usually part of a larger team who know and look out for each other, not that mental illness among physical hasn’t been severely stigmatized.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m glad Mary Worth is addressing suicide risk for veterinarians, but it seems like a terrible idea to go to the same psychiatrist as your girlfriend.

Maybe the psychiatrist is Wilbur in drag.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Was Stella part of the Mary Worth cast before she started dating Wilbur? Is Wilbur out of the friend rotation now that Stella is Mary’s pal?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The_Other posted:

Kit + The Wolf

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

That story can be dated pretty precisely because the Phoenix on that version of the X-Men team was only there for like 15 months before getting written out and becoming part of Excalibur.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The_Other posted:

Kit + The Wolf

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

Shouldn’t Kitty Pryde be excited about a Cats Laughing concert instead? Her liking them is like her most prominent feature, aside from using the n-word on three nonconsecutive occasion.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does Mark Trail ever sleep, or does he just get home from one adventure and then immediately get called to do another?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Murdstone posted:

Wow. She did.

Kitty Pryde loves to teach lessons about racism to black people. It is Chris Claremont’s most disturbing fetish, which is really saying something when you think about it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I like Wolverine’s cardigan as well.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Well, now we know Shermy stopped appearing because he was drafted and killed in Vietnam.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

thisusedyet posted:

Zooming in confirms that van's license plate says "ICP", this is about to get wierd.
(And you'd think the old man would've noticed the juggalos hanging around the park)

Wilbur’s been through some changes since the breakup.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Snack? What is he doing, raising crocodiles?

Mary Worth would never show us a man eating a dog, surely.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

riderchop posted:

Heathcliff

Compu-toon

It’s comforting that no matter how surreal Heathcliff gets, there’s still completely mundane reader mail where people describe cute things their cats do.

It’s depressing that Compu-toon is a stark vision of Charles Boyce’s anxieties and fragile emotional state. What was the text about? Hopefully not the syndicate noticing that they still carry his strip.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The dogfight guy in that Mary Worth story laughs like he’s the villain in a chick tract.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

manero posted:

Nancy Comics that go hard

Spoiler for Asian stereotypes

These Nancy strips are definitely racist in an absolute sense, but I have to wonder whether, in their historical context, they humanize a hated racial category by presenting an Asian boy as an equal to and friend of Nancy and the gang.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Mary: Now you see why I’ve come for this little visit visit.

Saul: [rising and sliding open hidden wall] Yes, Mary. I was a fool to think I could ever wash my hands of everything anyway. [Assembles rifle from hidden weapons cache]

Mary: [lights cigar] Now that’s the Saul I remember. [Pulls slide on pistol]

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Shugojin posted:

I dont like the mary worth story but also i do kinda want to see which of mary's acquaintances will somehow be the key to this

probably someone brings a dog into the vet that helps him figure it out but maybe it's something bizarre

also looking at the old guy's house with everything revolving around the little dog reminds me that my dog has cancer and i won't have her much longer :smith:

Has Wilbur been back since he was dumped? Maybe Mary’s following proper couple-friend break-up protocol and chose Estelle as the half to stay friends with.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Curtis is getting as stylized and abstract as the Lockhorns.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

Goddamn Mary, are you some kind of Dementor and you really enjoy this old dude's suffering?

Thank you goon for posting the girl idol and Cthulhu comic! It was really cute.

It’s actually cutting to Mary’s basement in the second panel when we see the dogs.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Am I missing a joke here, or is this just a depressing comic about a sad, trapped cat?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Zereth posted:

What makes you think the cat is trapped?

Sometimes cats climb up and can’t get down again. Maybe if the cat more of an unambiguous rear end in a top hat expression.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wait, where is Curtis set? I always thought New York. Where are they getting these turtles?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Davis is learning to do the smug face.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So there’s no way that the other dog in Mary Worth is actually dead, right? I don’t even want to see the fighting dogs, because in real life they’d probably have to be killed, and it’s not their fault they’re so aggressive.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s pretty sad that people born in a certain era got married because they felt they had to in order to participate in society, and that they resent anyone who wasn’t subjected to that expectation. Fortunately they won’t be around for much longer.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, that’s really dark for Family Circus.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

davidspackage posted:

I'm not remotely surprised but still upset that we don't see an old biddy demolish the dog fighting ring.

How long is the typical Mary Worth story? Longer than five weeks, right? Greta’s going to lead a rescue op to save the rest of the dogs.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Or what? He’s cranking hog on Lake Ontario?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is Jeff slowly starting to play to the Thel fetishists in these strips?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mary Worth: Vigilante is not something I would have anticipated, but after Wilbur surviving Im preparing myself to be disappointed with the resolution sooner rather than later.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does anyone at the syndicate read Computoon? I’m getting worried about Boyce. I understand the joke at a conceptual level, but the expression in the caption is unclear in a way that makes me wonder if something is wrong.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

“Numerous tips” means Mary didn’t even play a decisive role in busting that guy? Is that other dog dead? Do we even get to see the dogs being rescued?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Yeah, those lucky dogs get to be euthanized.

I was surprised to learn that there are rescue groups that specialize in rehabilitating fighting dogs that have pretty good success rates, but yeah, a city shelter is just going to gas those poor dogs for food aggression. Maybe Mary’s vet friend will step in to educate everyone about orgs that help dogs rescued from fighting rings.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is Sally Forth pulling a Snuffy Smith and replacing the title character?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Count Weirdly believes that safety regulations stifle innovation and that taxation is theft, leading him to take his dangerously under-engineered homemade submarine into international waters. How can Slylock use this information to determine the Count’s opinion on laws regarding the age of consent?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is this all a setup for Curtis to get a new hat that’s easier to draw? The geometry on the old one is baffling at times.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Brigman seems to be having some fun drawing dachshund close-ups with this story, and I don’t blame her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Change Clifford to Charles and it's perfect.