Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Ghostlight posted:

okay, bill, i'm entirely here for your take on how much of a virgin the actual historical figure leonardo da vinci is

I'm pretty sure it's a take on how gay he is, but I'm sure we'll very quickly get confirmation either way, as Holbrook is not known for not running a thought into the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

This is a whole lot closer to how I've actually helped sight-impaired individuals learn their surroundings and how to navigate them than I expected two panels of goddamn Invisible Scarlet O'Neil from 1940 to look.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Alhazred posted:

Which make me wonder "what animal was Jesus?"

The same animal as each individual animal perceiving Him.

No, seriously.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

What? No, no they aren't! Math is a shared game where we see how much we can invent from as few basic rules as possible. Playing with math is exactly how we should teach kids to engage with it! That's basically the entire gimmick of channels like Stand-Up Maths and two dozen others! Matt Parker's books are explicitly, textually, about helping people to engage with math for enjoyment.

Imagination is expanded by understanding more things! "A few trees I climb on all the time" isn't 'imagination'. Imagination is reaching for new and different thoughts, it's exploring new things. Math is just as important for that as exposure to new art and philosophy, or history and psychology, or...

gah

This is always a twee and awful strip, but this is one of the worst single comics it's ever put out, discouraging readers from learning, encouraging them to stay in a little box of no new thoughts or experiences, and pretending it's for their spiritual growth.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Giant Ethicist posted:

Cthulhu and Girl

Thanks for your work with this! I had a lot of laughs following along with it, and I wouldn't even have heard about it without you.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Yeah, the vibe with the Lockhorns is more like... mutual annoyance at both of their foibles. You and I both hate this thing about me.

That Dustin is just "I can't believe my wife wants to talk to me, what grievous sin did I commit to be saddled with this". There's no shared relationship or basis. Just "wimmin, amirite?" For a queer Millennial like me, that reads a little different than intended.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Murdstone posted:

Pooch Cafe

...I'm not the only one reading this as a gay/bi Poncho, am I?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

I don't expect rivers of gold from a daily strip — it's a tough gig — but Nu-Nancy's contrivances can be so strained and feeble sometimes. This is barely even a joke; this is trying to weave cloth from a fart.

If your cleverness formula isn't delivering today, just have Nancy slip on a banana peel or something, my god.

I liked this specific strip. It's a dumb joke, but it amused me.

Nu-Nancy hits way more often than it misses, for me. It's me, this series is aimed at me in particular, and I greatly look forward to it.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Is that supposed to be "Guernica"? Please tell me it's supposed to be anything else.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

That's backwards from how to do it right. The better option would be to show the piano in the first panel, and then only in the second panel show the piano and the octopus drawn by someone who has only had the idea of an octopus described to him once to figure out what they should look like.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Following this Wallace arc has been one of the highlights of my day.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

God, I love this.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

muttpupdog posted:

Am I the only one who finds it embarassing that these jokes are *so* similar yet one is so clearly superior? There's no way the Daddy Daze guy didn't know about this Calvin & Hobbes strip.

Nope, I feel you on that. The C&H comic both plays with the concept by having Dad clearly making it up as he goes, and Calvin getting worked up as he tries to make sense of it. It allows it to escalate the joke and build up to an overall funny conversation.

DD has its usual problem of the characters not really emoting and only one actually having a speaking part, which doesn't help, then doesn't have that subtle interplay of the characters. It also neither has a real punchline ("two crayons!" is not a punchline) nor does it have the overall funny conversation. It doesn't even quite hold up its own logic, like it would if Baby was convinced that the world was B&W and provided at least some funny evidence that supported the concept.

Bill Waterson knew when he was beginning to make a product he couldn't be proud of any longer, and he stopped. DD should have had that recognition... well, sometime before now. I'm not sure it ever had that much of a golden age.

Tauhid, on the other hand, is really finding his feet and it's wonderful to see.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

What an incredibly Joss-Whedon-rear end scene. Not in a good way, if it needs to be said.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

That's a really efficient character and tone setting strip there, that is.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Post the first half of the pastebin link! If someone is really going to try all the other possible parts of the URL, they're going to be trying... what, 62^4 options? I think you're safe enough for the almost fifteen million combinations that would leave out, and it's also proving that you didn't have more than one prepped pastebin dump for the same reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Medenmath posted:

Q-Rais is the good kind of weird IMO.

Here's my controversial comment for the end of the year: Heathcliff is the bad kind of weird. It's monkey cheese, but also repetitive. I try to avoid being negative about strips (except maybe Dustin or something) but I don't like Heathcliff at all. There, I said it.

Other random thoughts:

Flash Gordon is the best reboot we've seen in these threads and I hope Schkade can maintain the quality.

Scarlet O'Neil is absurd in the best way, I love it.

My guilty confession is that I have been enjoying the Kevin & Kell posts. The strip is fun to read, if perhaps for reasons not intended by Holbrook.

I'm very grateful for everyone posting old comics, translated comics (especially if you're the one doing the translations!), or really any other kind of comics. Comics! Comics!!

Heathcliff is trying for a sort of surreal where its repetitive nonsense starts to take on a type of moon logic of its own. I really do enjoy it, but it's not to everyone's taste, for completely legitimate reasons.

I'd echo the rest of this, especially the stunningly good Flash Gordon and my deep love of generally-translated comics. Fingerpori especially.