Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

A new year to us all, how wonderful! And what better way to break in a new thread than with a new adventure of Blueberry! I am translating this story not from the original French, but from Swedish (I am living there now, and want to get my knowledge up) and, while I try to keep my translation as close to the original as possible, there are times where I change it, either for the sake of certain things being... inappropriate, the occasional joke, or for other reasons, but I typically draw attention to them when it comes up.

Now, as you may all remember, when we last saw our hero he was... repeatedly gunned down in an alleyway and left for dead.

Well! I'm sure that won't put a hamper on anything, so let's see how the newest adventure, A Shadow over Tombstone starts! Let's see... Stop the press!, or Professional discourtesy coming in from all directions for the Tombstone law officials, or Truly we see the worst crimes of the Cowboys gang - cultural appropriation

And, as I am sure I have pointed out earlier, but it bears repeating in the new thread, some of these scans are a little crude... to which I say, good! If you are at all intrigued by this, I suggest you look into purchasing this from the publishers; you'll get high-quality pictures instead of my crude reproductions and in colour, too!

Samovar fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

The lighting in that last Prince Val, my goodness!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm liking the edits.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Blueberry: Strawfield knows the importance of public attention, or Miller regrets his new job almost immediately, or Campbell is fat. Hella fat, have you noticed?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Edits starting off strong this year...

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

I love the 'j'accuse redux' here, can't believe that I missed that.

Anyways, in today's Blueberry: Campbell gets his breakfast rudely interrupted, or Our hero suddenly comes to!, or Doree enforces bed rest

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

Ooh, ooh, ooh!

Is this a JoJo reference?!

Giant Ethicist posted:

The Antique Dealer’s Tale

Cthulhu and Girl

Also, oh dear in both settings.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Blueberry: Oh yeah - late 1800s America loving sucked socially, politically and morally, or Trouble brewing..., or Campbell gets thrown a bone

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

Eh, if anything I'd say this comic is being way too positive about Americas social, political, and moral state in the late 1800s if this big fancy Bostonian writer is acting flabbergasted at the notion of lynch mobs.

I think it's more the case that an elected official would demand a capital punishment for a non-capital punishment crime in Campbell's case.

But it is true that Campbell is quite the foppish dandy; and, on that note, in today's Blueberry: Blueberry neglects to read the fine print, or Virgil has a terrible bed-side manner, or Doc waxes philosophically

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

I love Tauhid and his work but I think he needs to stop using one of the most well known strips of all time as direct inspiration.

Eh - there have been many snowman comics from C&H, I certainly wouldn't describe that as 'one of the best known strips of all time'.

I think that Crabgrass is fine.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ha-ha-oof.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Has the writer of Dustin just been divorced or something? What the hell...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

'Cissy'?

I've only ever seen is spelled 'Sissy'.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's slightly delayed (sorry) Blueberry: Can YOU find the piece of incriminating evidence the Earps need?, or Goth aesthetics have got nothing on the Apaches, or Bowen is very disrespectful... but not for long!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Selachian posted:

They are, however, very knowledgeable about shoes, ships, sealing-wax, cabbages, kings, why the sea is boiling hot, and whether pigs have wings.

Cute.

In today's Blueberry: Things start shooting off, or Miller is persuaded, or Parker attracts the attention of a certain someone...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Blueberry: Campbell is fat. You get it? You get the joke? 'Cause, y'know, there's a chance you might not have gotten it, or Cue the dreamy harp music, or I get Blueberry was in a bad place at the time, but sleeping around with the police...?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Medenmath posted:

Prince Valiant

drat, that steam/smoke rising from the arrow wound of Dialyodd's corpse.

Anyways, in today's Blueberry: Harry du Bois nods in sympathy, or Blueberry impresses the local clergy with his typical charm, or He may be an alcoholic, but at least Blueberry's a functioning alcoholic

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Fingerpori

I think the funniest little detail here is that this movie would be airing at 6:45 PM on one of our national channels.

Somehow Fingerpori is able to make the punchline be 'gay sex' and yet it isn't bigoted.

I reckon it's due to Tom.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Blueberry: So, this pastor fella, reckon he's a baddie in some way?, or Will comes round on the idea of the warts-and-all representation, or Miller returns...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Blueberry: Mike waxes nostalgic, or Campbell tries and fails at censorship, or Pastor Younger gets rudely interrupted

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Look, it's not Savarna's fault the foley for a grenade launcher is the most satisfying sound in the world.

hold on

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

SuperKlaus posted:

Samovar, do you have an album of all the Blueberrys you've posted over time? I don't want to have to comb old threads 4 ur posts

And why should I make things easy for you? (Be careful with that last link, it has some pics I've not uploaded yet! I'm always happy to help out someone who's liking the work)

Seeing Janis needing to be on tip-toes is a cute details.

Anyways, in today's slightly late Blueberry: God, I love Gir's art, y'know?, or Campbell's not ONLY a foppish fool, or They got headed off at the pass!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Blueberry: Blueberry gets some rephrenology inflicted upon him, or timg'd for old man rear end, or Well, at least there's mood music

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 1, 1992)

When I was young I thought this was funny. Now that I'm older, I think it's hilarious.

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (February 19, 2001)

Man, A+J has kicked rear end really consistently.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

SuperKlaus posted:

^part of what makes Footrot Flats an A-rank comic to me is the absolutely honest, no-punches-pulled approach to farming life

In the PYF comics thread, there was a manga called 'The Noble Peasant' which detailed the life of a person who grew up on a Japanese farm. It was really good.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jan 24, 2023

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's slightly-delayed Blueberry: Blueberry has evidently played Assassin's Creed, or Campbell gets rudely interrupted, or Tension rising...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jun. 12, 1955)

Oh Gawain, you ladykiller

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's slightly-extended Blueberry: It was the gunfight at the O.K. Corral, not the gunfight at the Dunhill saloon!, or the hatchet is buried... for now..., or Normally, I'd supply some text leading up to the next adventure but... well, I've done so already. See you next time!

Samovar fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jan 26, 2023

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

EasyEW posted:

Our Boarding House (June 7-9, 1923)

What the heck is the goat the boy in the background is referring to? Satan?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

BigglesSWE posted:

Ballard Street

I love these all, but especially Harry.

In today's Blueberry: OK, I hate to draw in another thread, but THIS Mookie? This is how you do a comic without dialogue, or You're pretty good..., or Will and Simon talk about the future of America

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Blueberry: The bourgeoisie are revolting. They're also protesting outside town hall!, or Clum gets a rude awakening, or Autopsies before refrigeration must have been a hell of a thing

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

~Coxy posted:

Our Boarding House

Very good

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Aww, bless.

And thanks for the post re. Charlie Brown, r.a.w.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Kavak posted:

Is no one going to question why the ring is on her middle finger?

It's the post-apocalypse, they've lost the tradition of which finger on which hand to use.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Blueberry: The town leaders of Tombstone get introduced to realpolitik, or And that, Parker, is why you have to internalize Volumetric poo poo Compressor, or Billy's internal monologue is a bit too loud for his own good

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Hempuli posted:

I've been participating in a Sci-fi TTRPG and we visited a seedy space yakitori stand. I tend to doodle during the sessions and was inspired by Uramachi Sakaba on how such a place could source their meat.

Better than how hot dogs are made (drat, that's a fine post-apocalyptic burger bar).

In today's Blueberry: Campbell can't read the room, or Where we last left our flashback, or timg'd again for old man-rear end

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

riderchop posted:

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Boo

Yay :3:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Blueberry: GOD, Gir's art is SO GOOD, or timg'd and spoilered for male nudity, or The cavalry has arrived! So, uh... are you guys... gonna do anything, or...?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

EasyEW posted:

Something that probably won't figure into OOW anytime soon turned up on the New Year's Day 1941 front page, but it's still one of the signs that '41 was going to be a cursed year beyond what was happing on the warfronts, because that was the day when ASCAP's contract ran out with the radio networks with no new deal in sight, so the vast majority of American radio stations were banned from playing ASCAP-controlled songs.

In the short term, the ASCAP broadcast boycott meant that radio listeners got a weird, off-brand version of the hit parade, but The History of Rock 'n' Roll in 500 Songs podcast makes the case that the long-term implications were profound.

In hindsight, it was the first brick pulled out of the Jenga tower that was the Big Band Era. That might make it a little bit more relevant to 1946 Archie, which was created in the wake of the escalating unintended consequences of that and the other music-related strike that Andrew Hickey goes on to talk about. But we'll more than likely get to that sooner or later.

God, I love this thread sometimes.

Also, glad you're enjoying Blueberry, Cowslips.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Blueberry: Mike gets demolished, or Now is not an ideal time to have a legal dispute, gentlemen, or Gee, I'm sure that third-last panel isn't a clue as to why precisely the pastor isn't liked by the indigenous people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

NVTrainee posted:

So, what's the thread consensus on Prince Valiant lately? I remember many threads ago that it was more negative, but it could've been different people talking about it opposed to now. Compared to other comic strips, the art is gorgeous and I love the weekly story updates.

It's a bit old-fashioned, but on the whole it's good, and the art is astounding.