Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Happy new year thread! Did we ever determine whether or not we wanted to add Doonesbury From Zero to the lineup or not? If so I will figure out how to start scraping and uploading it from gocomics a week at a time and start posting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

~Coxy posted:

drat, this is a deep cut!

as if to hide our shame from god

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

How drat long has this "Gonna sell the van, mmyep, any day now" poo poo dragged on for

it got interrupted by the Boomer Doesn't Understand Why People Under 40 Care About Pronouns Sasquatch arc so we have to basically start over

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Kavak posted:

I refuse to believe Kelley is anti-Russian right now.

that's why the anti-russian sentiment is coming from his LAZY FREELOADER MILLENNIAL NO-GOOD TEENAGER and his BRUTISH NAGGING BALL AND CHAIN WIFE. they're stopping him from getting his LEGITIMATE GOP DONATIONS to our OVERSEAS PATRIOTIC ASSOCIATES

just imagine I relabeled this terrible comic in the style of an onion kelly cartoon

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Panel one and panel three Cthulhu would be adorable avatars. Man, I really love this comic

e: did my best for one without the speech (thought?) bubble as well

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jan 4, 2023

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Sundae posted:

Please please please, let it be that Ed misread without his glasses and he's signed up for a pole dance class (b/c who the gently caress has ever heard of pole vault classes in adult ed :wtc:). I'd forgive this comic at least a few of its sins if it made Ed extremely uncomfortable for a week run.

Dollars to donuts Kelley is either going through a rough fourth divorce or all of his ex-wives are coming back to him for alimony or something. Boomer chud cartoonists project all of their problems and every perceived slight against them straight into their work.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Samovar posted:

Eh - there have been many snowman comics from C&H, I certainly wouldn't describe that as 'one of the best known strips of all time'.

I think that Crabgrass is fine.

Yeah, when I think C&H snowman strips, I think of the strips that are extremely elaborate horror shows Calvin builds on the front lawn.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

So based on the lack of air bags and the surplus of concussions, does the NHTSA just not exist in the Rex Morgan universe?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I really hope this Crabgrass arc really is Kevin Is Actually Pretty Goddamn Smart And That's Awesome. We need some of that to offset the "hurf blurf my kids are lazy idiots unlike me, boomer mom/dad" comics.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

NVTrainee posted:

So, what's the thread consensus on Prince Valiant lately? I remember many threads ago that it was more negative, but it could've been different people talking about it opposed to now. Compared to other comic strips, the art is gorgeous and I love the weekly story updates.

It is the best long form cartoon ever put on paper and I will die before I let it fall from this thread.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

good lord put that in the OP

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm starting to get the feeling that the pressures of syndication kills interesting comics.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Murdstone posted:

He was named after they went to a Pearl Jam concert.

:stonklol:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Doomykins posted:

Considering the dialogue of the last week I wouldn't assume Jules is making a reference unless it was pointed out four times in three days.

Also wow, that panel 4. Look at Rods shoulders. The panel two is pretty bad too... really, how many of these hand gestures and arm placements don't work without the camera cropping? Mark's jawline in panel 2 vs panel 4 is a laugh too. The shape changing monitor, the inability of anyone to be on model for longer than two panels. Looking at Rods hairline he didn't even last past his introduction before Jules stopped caring about him! What a daily treat it is to mock this strip. :allears: There just aren't that many who are this openly lazy.

I would love to see a real-time recording of the process of drawing one of these strips, just to be able to see how long it takes and how little effort goes in.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Vargo posted:

No, I get that it's Trump but like... why are you not saying "Trump?"

Is this like calling him "Drumpf" "45" or "tfg" like I see Twitter liberals do, or is there some other reason?

It's a C-SPAM version of that. It's been two years since he left office and the C-SPAM Trump thread is still the highest traffic thread on the forums, for some insane reason, and its regulars are still addicted to posting nonsensical manglings of his name.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

horny comics by someone who vaguely heard about sex exactly once

Someone in a previous year's thread mentioned once that Luann is written by a father/daughter duo, so, interpret that as you will :stonk:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hostile V posted:

I had to go into the archives for context and I'm miserable now but the long and short is that George got pinched by a bunch of pelt harvesters who were also holding Ophelia having mistaken her for a groundhog (they were after groundhog products) and she's being hunted in the sense that she's running from organized crime.

BSS: Bisexual Super Son > Comic Strips 2023: I had to go into the archives for context and I'm miserable now

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Tauhid's hometown newspaper has picked it up as well to replace Dilbert. https://www.instagram.com/p/CpVfMBoNmUn/?hl=en

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I mean, there was that arc about the underground civilization of sports mascots, so this isn't really *new* for Crabgrass, just kind of a codification of it being a thing that happens once in a while.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hempuli posted:

Fingerpori

The English term works even better here than the Finnish one!

The backwards eyeballs on the dude in the front made me absolutely lose it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Green Intern posted:

The coach thinks that players shouldn't drink water. I don't think he's very good at his job.

This whole arc is reminding me of the football part of the original MASH film what with the characters' self-sabotaging incompetence.

Unfortuntaely, I don't think we're going to get to see Archie say "alright bub, your fuckin head is coming right off".

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

... the merfolk civilization... uses whale farts as currency.
:cripes: gently caress you, Holbrook.

Man definitely draws his comics one handed.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Makes perfect sense in Kelleyparkerworld. A lawyer is a successful respectable person who has Made It Through Hard Work and Has Money unlike the lazy youths, and simultaneously a lawyer siphons your hard earned cash because the law has you pay taxes and parking tickets and poo poo. Much like a doctor is a respectable person with money but he tells you you can't eat all the meat and donuts and you have to exercise.

My prayer is that Kelley has suffered a near-fatal stroke and this is Parker seizing the opportunity to poo poo on the strip while still being vaguely Kelley-esque.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Fingerpori

Do they sell Kinder Surprise Eggs in the United States yet or are they still forbidden?

In case they are still banned, they are small milk/white chocolate eggs that have a plastic cylinder inside. Inside the cylinder is a surprise, usually a small toy or something.

They never got banned in Canada, I can tell you that much. As far as our horrifically devalued currency goes though if you want a sweet that's a hybrid of milk and white chocolate, you want he Kinder Bueno instead. You get a nice wafery crunch in there as well.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Safety Dance posted:

If Tiffany wants to bone down on her roommate's boyfriend and blame it on her other roommate's proprietary tea blend, that's nobody's business but all the consenting adults in the room.

It'd also be one of the most fascinating things to happen in the strip in decades, so I'm all for it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Classic Zits was genuinely a great strip. When we had some classic Zits being posted last year (I think? time is fuckin hard) it was a highlight of the thread imo.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Poil posted:

Here we go again. :allears:

But do they really need a sales director? It looked like things kept on trucking fine despite the ones who did no work whatsoever for months.

My personal theory is that Ed-N-Son Lightbulbs is actually just a money laundering operation.

Powered Descent posted:

Wallace the Brave

Several excellent thread titles here.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Doomykins posted:

These kinds strips are my least favorite Forths and make me agree with Transmodiar briefly. Let's get back to some character growth with grandma.

They always feel like they're trying to capture the Achewood "magical realism" arcs but the general absurdity of Achewood's setting is what makes them work, and that just literally cannot translate over to the mostly grounded reality of Sally Forth.

Schwarzwald posted:

is...

is Spud just Roastbeef?

I see I got beaten to the Achewood references today. Dammit.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Spud would never make the metals kiss and the fuel turn lively.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

It takes me about ten minutes to do my taxes. Fifteen if you give me paper forms and a calculator.

Boomer wankery myths about taxes are the stupidest loving thing jesus loving christ

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

holy poo poo a foob that made me laugh

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

double-postin because I just learned that there's a fuckin Fingerpori film

I don't know if there are english subtitles for it or what but this looks so bad that I am just interested enough in a horrified way to start looking :magical:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Sally's descent into psychosis was the tragic straw that finally broke her family's cohesion for good

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Zereth posted:

So is Lyn just gonna avoid mentioning that the reason for that is what's NOT there this arc? Specifically, that his dad who beats him isn't there?

Considering her history of self-admitted child abuse...

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Feels more like she's seen the writing on the wall that some creators may be more expendable than others

At this point I'm interested in anyone left of Steve Kelley taking over on Mark Trail.

I'll even take that dickshit who does Monty. Jules has Charlie Browned the football daily for two years straight.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

Archie is such a piece of poo poo to Betty.

I like to think Jughead gets all raw and brutal on Archie to try to make him realize this is the case.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

davidspackage posted:

That boat looks absurdly big.

And Mary, cruises have a habit of turning out badly in your world!

Jeff is secretly a Russian oligarch in disguise and that's his megayacht.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Fingerpori

I know the English term is camera surveillance, but the original Finnish (once again) can either mean "the police are doing enhanced surveillance by camera" or "the police are doing enhanced monitoring on cameras" and I'm not sure if "camera surveillance" would have both meanings. Maybe it would?

This feels like the Finnish equivalent of the American joke where a sign that says "speed enforced by aircraft" has an Apache gunship just visible over the horizon. Non-lethal, but sufficiently derisive and belligerent.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I think this is all you need to know. It certainly was for me:

Christ, it's like if Quentin Tarantino was a webcartoonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Kennel posted:

The guilt of feeling like a bad mom. Also, some parents are quite obsessed about their child's hair.

Also, the author/artist of foob has been documented as a good ol' 1970s style child abuser who once threw her toddler out in the freezing canadian winter and locked the door before her "guardian angel" told her to bring the child in from the multiple digits below zero weather.