Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

For the sake of archival, would you please put the first two Archie strips into that post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

what is williams' preoccupation with the sister who gets married and moves down the street, anyway

It's not that much more specific than the rest of his scenarios. I guess it's a "Write what you know" kind of thing.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Doomykins posted:

Kind of weird that Archie will run for decades after these strips proved that Betty is the girl you want in your corner, and so early! Marry a partner that'll kick somebody like that for talking trash about you!

Well, after all, part of the premise is that Archie is dumb.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

riderchop posted:

i need this one red and rover'd

They are astonished and incredulous about the sight the boy has seen: a woman who smokes a pipe.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Comic Strips 2023: The day is at hand, fool, when the bells of doom shall ring for you, and I shall toll them

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Drakyn posted:

I was completely and constitutionally incapable of understanding a single Krazy Kat strip (despite knowing about it since I was six because of hearing about all the Pogo and Calvin and Hobbes inspiration it drove) until you started posting it here. It's very peculiar and good, so thank you very much.

Agreed. At a pace of one a day, rather than trying to binge it in a collection or something, I can finally appreciate it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Olive & Popeye

This is just a Something Positive strip.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Seems premature to think that.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

What is this even supposed to mean? I love Compu-Toon.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I swear these Sunday Lockhorns get smaller every time you post them. I can't even read that.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Incandescent onions?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Lockhorns is also way cleverer about it than anything else still doing that bit in the 2020s, and in the fiction of the comic they make it clear that their mutual scorn is exceptional. I've really come around on that strip and it's now one of my favorites. Amusingly, although technically a legacy strip, one of the two cartoonists, Bunny Hoest, is the wife of its original creator.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You fools. You're going to see that Miles and Kevin and just listening to a prophecy told by Old Man Mozz.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yeah! Take that, racist tomatoes!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Some of those volumes are out of print, so good luck filling in the gaps.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

riderchop posted:

have we posted all of Val here??? or at least continuously from the start?

Medenmath has been posting legacy Prince Valiant strips since the 2020 edition of the Comic Strip Megathread. Start here.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Newspapers (broadly defined to include the antecedents of magazines as well) were the best place to make a living as a cartoonist back in the day. Winsor McCay published in newspapers because there was nowhere else. Later, early comic books certainly had geniuses working in them, but by and large they were the cheap alternative to the sophisticated and prestigious newspaper comics page, especially during the peak of the feud between Pulitzer and Hearst (Hearst himself was a comics lover and patronized avant-garde artists like George Herriman). Even those who arrived later than that still benefited from the institutional editorial attitudes of those days.

What happened was television. For entertainment, newspapers could compete with radio and film, but not with television, which was an increasing factor in people's daily lives. So they began to focus on their biggest and most specialized advantage - timely written news - and cut costs on the funnies, by reducing the number of strips purchased and the size at which they were printed. The more the popularity of television increased, the more the comic artist depended on merchandising, following the model seen in other media where the original artwork is the loss leader that establishes the market for actually profitable spinoffs and adaptations.

Even before the invention of the webcomic, the last holdouts were the merch empires, the inheritors of legacy strips whose prestige still commanded a good price, and the Wattersonian curmudgeons with a strong artistic affinity for the daily format (for while this was going on, other media were carving out and widening niches where a comic artist could survive). And the internet changed the whole equation. The fact that online publishing is more-or-less free has led to an incredible blossoming of comics, but not much of a corresponding blossoming of comic artists getting paid.

That's why the best modern newspaper comics have the same kind of strong, singular authorial voices that was found among the most memorable works of the fat old days: because modern newspaper comic artists are indomitable freaks who are doing it for the love of the game, and managed to hustle their way into one of the few remaining paychecks. God bless 'em.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

davidspackage posted:

I always thought Archie - Betty - Veronica was more of a deal where Archie was trying to juggle them both, like "oops, I scheduled dates with both girls on the same night, now I have come up with constant bathroom and phonecall excuses to hop from one to the other". I never thought Archie so openly and constantly despised Betty. What a prick.

The dynamic has evolved since the 1940s.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

riderchop posted:

honestly sometimes i do think about not doing overboard, i think we all got the gist and the octopus isnt hitting enough lately

I wouldn't miss it, personally.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Petition to rename BSS to Gory Goon Gulch

Or at least this thread.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (December 30, 2001)

I like what they did with the coloring here.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What other options are there, though? Rosalyn? Moe??

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

riderchop posted:

Zippy The Pinhead

I appreciate this thread for enabling me to get all of th' references in this Zippy.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

mycatscrimes posted:

I feel like meat substitutes vs meat alternatives is a bit of a red herring, because based on everything we've seen so far Keith would still be Like This about a vegan meal with no fake meat.

you couldn't serve herring in a vegan dish either though

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

riderchop posted:

Zippy The Pinhead

Excerpts from Wikipedia:

William Ely Hill (January 17, 1887 – December 9, 1962) was an American cartoonist and illustrator active in the first half of the 20th-century. He is best known for his weekly full-page illustration series "Among Us Mortals" published in the New York Tribune from 1916 to 1922, and for creating the most popular iteration of the optical illusion My Wife and My Mother-in-Law (1915).

Hill began publishing satirical illustrations of everyday people in the New York Tribune on April 9, 1916, with his first small cartoon. Just a few weeks later on April 23 of that year, his work was picked up for a weekly series titled "Among Us Mortals" that ran until an abrupt end six years later on May 14, 1922. Highly successful at the time, the series has been largely forgotten in the decades since. Many Americans living abroad at the end of World War I treasured "Among Us Mortals" for how much it reminded them of home, with countless letters to the editor sent in thanks to the New York Tribune for running the collection.

Dozens of "Among Us Mortals" spreads from both The Washington Times and the New York Tribune have been preserved by the Library of Congress's Chronicling America project for online viewing.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 25, 1960)

get smote idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Wallace the Brave and Crabgrass are my favorite comic strips that started in the last decade, Flash Gordon and Hägar the Horrible are my favorite legacy strips recently taken over by new artists, Arlo and Janis and The Lockhorns are my favorite long-running strips, Prince Valiant and Archie are my favorite vintage strips, and I love to hate Dustin. I also want to honorably mention Dark Side of the Horse, Out Our Way, Jucika, Bardiche Hotel, Scary Gary, and Krazy Kat. This thread is a treasure, and I am grateful to everyone who keeps posting comic strips, even though some of those comic strips are Intelligent Life.