Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I had an ex who reopened her OKCupid account while we were still dating after we had a fight or something. A smarter person would have taken this as a sign to break up, but I was not that smart at that point!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

wtf why isn't Wilbur drunk and hitting on Nan

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

Or they find an alligator gar

Reception is after the wedding.

As if that would hold Wilbur back

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

In no way do I expect this to happen, but I want Ed to turn out to be really good at pole vaulting

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jfc what kind of coach is like "haha you fat idiot I can't believe you aren't an Olympian on your first attempt at pole vaulting in 30 years!"

Why is everyone in that universe an rear end in a top hat?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Because it's written from the perspective of a Boomer rear end in a top hat.

Which is especially funny given Ed is almost certainly a Gen X-er now if Dustin is 24. The youngest Boomers turned 35 in 1999.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think anyone is going to complain about more Creeps

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I appreciate that he's eating cat food

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think Archie's gonna make the golf team

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Imagine being in your 20s and your mom saying your girlfriend can't stay over in your apartment.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

JethroMcB posted:

I skimmed past Dustin until I saw Huxley's post. Similarly, I spent most of my elementary school years attending a tiny-rear end, extremely rural school, and "Everybody gives everybody else a Valentine" was the standard in my class. This was THIRTY gosh-darn YEARS AGO at a school where some of my teachers had no issue routinely introducing BIBLE STORIES into our lessons plans. Kelley is bitching about poo poo that was already the norm in the heart of MAGA Country when Operation Desert Storm was being cheered on the nightly news.

Yep, adding one more to this. This was what we did when I was in elementary school in the late 80s.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bill Watterson has a new book coming out!

https://mastodon.social/@stevelieber/109865727920254658

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wilbur peering through a window is pretty good av material

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Crab Dad posted:

Notable because I laughed. Usually it's a hate read.

Once in a very rare occasion, Dustin will have a legitimately funny gag.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Drakyn posted:

Glass houses, Connie.

Jeremy is in high school, so no older than 18, but doesn't really talk about college applications or anything, so we'll say he's 17, which meant he was born in 1997 when this was published. Must have been some fun retro show his parents went to for kicks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

In a Zits treasury book I have, Jeremy lists his birth date as July, 1984, which would make him my age. The strip's been running so long now (my book's from ~2004?) that Jeremy, Walt and Connie have gotten the Simpsons treatment when it comes to their ages.
It does seem like they've been updating his parents' cultural references somewhat more recently, but that may just be in my head. But even in 2014 that was a dated reference for people in roughly their mid-40s.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vargo posted:

Breaking Cat News

One of my cats absolutely loves the little poof balls and will play fetch with me with them. The other couldn't be less interested. Cats are weird.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bruceski posted:

At the risk of starting a derail, isn't a hoagie just a sandwich on long bread, same as a sub? Is this some lexical thing where in a random neighborhood the term refers to a foodstuff that is only a sandwich in theory because it's open-faced on half a loaf or something?

It's another term for a sub yeah.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

'Friends from a distance' means 'go away.'
How does this, (or a restraining order) even work? Don't they live in the same apartment building?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Scott Adams says his syndicate cancelled him

https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/1629984186013720577?s=20

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vargo posted:

Scott Adams also said he got "cancelled from 77 papers" when a licenser cut all of it comics, so I'd wait to hear it from the syndicate themselves, who are currently stalling for time (but sure sound like they're gonna do it.)

https://twitter.com/AndrewsMcMeel/status/1629942461392097280
Confirmed.
https://twitter.com/AndrewsMcMeel/status/1630040035390021632?s=20

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hippocrass posted:

This is just a consequence of how newspaper comic strips work these days. Comics pages tend to printed out ahead of time, and then just inserted in the proper edition after publication. Dilbert is going to appear for a few more days in most papers because of this.

Yeah, at some point (this may no longer be the case), the Sunday comics pages were printed literally weeks ahead of time, so Sunday Dilbert may be appearing for awhile.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

Did the first two panels get switched in this one? It seems like it would make more sense the other way around.

In this case it was more like an I-beam that broke the camel's back. He literally said that (spoilering for paint-peelingly racist stuff) because a poll showed that a majority of Black people disagree with a white supremacist slogan, then all Black people everywhere are a hate group, and so all white people should just get the hell away from them. For a long time he's been able to get away with his poo poo, usually by the just-asking-questions defense, but there's... just no possible way to spin this one.
Technically it was "almost half" disagreed with the slogan (according to Adams), but that's not actually what the poll said. The poll said 53% of Black people agreed with it, and only 27% disagreed. The remainder in the "don't know or undecided" portion. So not only was he deliberately ignoring the context of the slogan, he was deliberately misreading the results of the poll.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Adams now says he's been dropped by his non-Dilbert book publisher. Good riddance.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Washington Post interviewed Scott Adams (gift link) who contends he was only trying to be a little racist:

quote:

Adams tells The Post that his remarks that day were intended to be hyperbole, while also contending that he was responding to a larger sociopolitical narrative. He does not apologize for what he said in the episode — viewed more than 360,000 times — though he asserts that he disavows racism. Meanwhile, on a follow-up “Real Coffee” podcast, he called both White people and the press “hate groups.”

He also says he's launching "Dilbert Reborn" on his subscription site, which....I don't want to know what Dilbert Minus Editor looks like.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What is it with old people and Cheesecake Factory? Isn't it Applebee's tier food?

Nah, it's a lot better than Applebee's. It's not fine dining by any stretch, but despite the enormous menu, everything is made fresh in-house. Except the cheesecake of all fuckin' things.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I like that Third Creep looks like a combination of the main Creeps.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

"Just because I was flirting with her constantly since the day you hired me, that's no reason not to blame her for this whole thing!"

Good thing for him that lady loving hates her daughter.

Luann

Bernice just wanted to hang out and cosplay as a hippie. Little did she know Nil would awaken her latent objectification fetish.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Man, I am so glad we didn't have to do any of that poo poo, or even applications really. We applied to programs at universities by basically just ticking the "yes I want to study computer science, English translation and interpretation, or psychology at this school" boxes on forms, then a certain percentage of incoming students are accepted based on their final scores from our high school graduation exams, and grades in general, and everyone else takes entrance exams. The top x% get in.
To be fair, college applications at many universities aren't much different than what you've described. The top ones will continue to be competitive and require all this BS, but there's lots of state universities who will accept pretty much anyone who graduated high school. Lots aren't even requiring test scores anymore (though in lieu of that, they want a higher GPA).

There's also other paths such as community colleges that will literally accept anyone with an HS diploma that can pay tuition - the latter probably being the bigger lift in a lot of cases. I know at least some states even guarantee that anyone who leaves a community college with an AA will be eligible for a spot in a state university (though no guarantee that it'll be the one you want).

My application to my state's flagship university was filling out a one-page form, sending my SAT score, having my HS send them my transcripts (granted, this was over 20 years ago).

All of which is to say that popular media likes to dramatize the process since it's more interesting, but the high-pressure, need-lots-of-activities, filling-out-endless-forms experience only really applies to people trying to get into the best universities, and isn't really representative of most students.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What the gently caress Nil?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

That ain't paint, Mike.

quote:

The drawing was executed primarily with pen and light brown ink, while there are traces of brown wash (watercolor).
:colbert:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

JethroMcB posted:

"Cat food, that is! We're eating like they eat tonight!"
If it wasn't made of cat, they wouldn't put a cat on the package.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Drimble Wedge posted:

This can't be the first time he's bought gas?!

Maybe it's the first time one has had that instruction

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Esplanade posted:

Kind of...?

Instead of the chocolate egg, we get some white goop with a couple of crunchy bits. The prizes are still better than anything from the USA, though (says the old guy who remembers when Cracker Jack actually had cool prizes).

Kinder Surprise, the ones where the toy is inside the chocolate, are still banned. Kinder Joy is a different egg-shaped chocolate that's not unique to the US.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ah, so if the Joker didn't get into crime, he'd be an orthodontist. Makes sense.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

davidspackage posted:

I'm kinda feeling buyer's remorse here, I know I said I wanted Estelle happy, but loving hell this is dragging.

Can Wilbur turn out to have been hiding beneath her floor boards all this time or something already
Please reveal that Wilbur has adopted a bunch of very sick animals and appears at the vet five minutes before closing time

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This reminds me of a girl in high school who would take the perfume scent pages in magazines and rub them on her arms.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

don Jaime posted:

There should be a bar for comic strip main characters who don’t appear in their own strips. Rex Morgan, Judge Parker, Barney Google. There were a bewildering number of Peanuts when I was a kid that did NOT feature good ol’ Charlie Brown.

Peanut never ONCE appears!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

Don't you make new holes when you have to tighten your belt?

Entirely possible that 40s belts came with no holes at all and you just punched them as needed.