Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Kennel posted:

Comics killed my family.

Gotta admit it was kinda funny, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

:china:

If it's just that loving skeleton again, I swear to god...

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

I'll be damned... it's only a partially lazy clip-art comic and not a 100% entirely lazy clip-art comic.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Pancho Jueves posted:

"All I want to do is pretend I'm as athletic as I was in high school and not 50 pounds heavier with knees of porcelain, I don't know why everyone's so negative!"

Please please please, let it be that Ed misread without his glasses and he's signed up for a pole dance class (b/c who the gently caress has ever heard of pole vault classes in adult ed :wtc:). I'd forgive this comic at least a few of its sins if it made Ed extremely uncomfortable for a week run.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Howard Beale posted:

How dare you consider your parents ever thought about s-e-you-know-what

It's amazing how diametrically opposed Luann is to 9 Chickweed Lane, and amazing how both are horrible.

They should trade writers for a week and see what happens.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

There's some really questionable perspective going on here, unless the Bandar have endemic dwarfism.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hwurmp posted:

speaking of questionable, the Bandar are also known as the Pygmy Poison People

Hot drat. That's both bizarre and I suppose explains a lot.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Re: Dustin - 8’6” would’ve been below starting height for men when I was in HS. :wtc:

E: Just checked. Starting height for high school USATF guidance is 10'8" for men.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 14, 2023

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Wow, you folks found like the one and only Wikipedia article without a literally-insane contributor watching for modifications to their precious little baby. :wow:

I guess everyone hates Dustin.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

"Did you launch a grenade?"
"...no."
*explosion in distance*

"FOOMP" is a highly underrated onomatopoeia.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Noooo, I will love you, little bread. Don't cry.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Old man mozz gave one of the bandar warriors a gun and jampa's location

he will not be proven wrong

I hate that I'm even remotely invested in this Mozz prophecy horseshit storyline, but my guess is still that (somehow) it's going to be Diana behind the Bandar warriors showing up, rather than Mozz. We had that whole thing where Mozz gave Phantom the wrong book to hide in the mausoleum, followed by Diana asking him questions that would enable her to read the propecy without him telling her it (thus keeping his side of the deal not to tell her it).

So, she reads the prophecy herself, goes out and talks to Guran, sends a fuckload of Bandar after him to change his fate, and spits in the eye of prophecy. Bonus points if somehow Savarna dies instead, thus eliminating one of the very few entertaining characters in this whole hosed up mess of a comic. :v:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

it’s going to be that the bandar god got sick of everyone meddling in the prophecy and forgot about that poo poo half way through one of mozz’s dozens of retellings

This works for me. I'd also accept "flaming skeleton becomes the next phantom" as an outcome.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

$5 in 1943 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $86.47 today

I really like this particular strip. That's a nice way to play the gag.

EDIT: Meanwhile, in GBS... :wtc:

Sundae fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 23, 2023

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Giant Ethicist posted:

Embarrassingly, the only thing that got me to notice the R’lyeh / Lulu Yeah connection was a quick vocabulary check using google translate's in-camera translation feature - unlike me, google translate is aware of the usual Japanese transliteration of R'lyeh.

Really, you should just be ashamed of yourself. :colbert:

(I love your comics and translations. Thanks for doing it.)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Ardeem posted:

* For the Ghost Who Is Sleeping On The Couch When He Gets Back.

And this plot arc resolves when Diana shoots Savarna herself.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
What unspeakably evil act did we commit, in a past life presumably, to continue to have Legend of Bill inflicted upon us?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm starting to legitimately wonder if Jules isn't maybe writing it for like, 6-7-year-olds, and is just bad at communicating that.

I look back fondly at the fourteen seconds after Jules took over when the thread was excited for the change. :lol:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

Kermit and Piggy do what now?

Gilchrist was involved in the Muppet Babies comic, so it makes perfect sense.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Crabgrass

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Malachite_Dragon posted:

:ghost: "What part of 'gently caress off and escape' did you not understand?"
:blaster: "But I wanna kill people!"

I'm probably wrong, but I'm going to venture a guess that Phantom shoots her to send us into fifteen weeks of flashbacks, forwards, side-plots, and then MAYBE end the story arc.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

I do not like the Pixar remake of Wool.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Medenmath posted:

That was fast!

I do not know why I did this, but it's out of my stupid head now and I can move on with my day.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Oh man, I forgot about this comic. It's painfully true in my experience.

Back in 2006, I applied to JC Penny's because I had an 8-month gap between when I finished undergrad and when grad school was starting. I was going back for biological/biomedical engineering graduate study, and applying for the men's section as a long summer job basically.

The interviewer was very blunt about it during the interview: Paraphrased: "Why should she hire even consider someone with actual career options beyond retail?" She didn't want anyone with any leverage whatsoever.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

"And by that I mean, let's gently caress."

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Was that an actual joke (low though the bar might be) in Family Circus??! :tviv:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Greg Evans sitting there, a single tear rolling down his face as "Boys of Summer" plays on repeat while writing this. :barf:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

I'm not gonna blame the fill-in artist since I'm sure he or she was given notes, but the main writer & artist reallllly horn it up for Savarna, don't they? It's downright awkward.

Gotta say though, if this lovely-rear end arc hadn't somehow taken like four IRL years to get through, trying to dodge a future with a Savarna lineage of phantoms only to have your son fall for her instead would be a :lol: kind of ending. But nope, gently caress everything about all of this.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Its less trying to dodge a Savarna line and more trying to dodge the line ending entirely; The current one would be dead, even after pumping babbies into her, and the ring et al would be in the hands of Kit after his guerilla fighters killed his dad, and you know drat well he would not be giving them back.
I don't blame you if you don't remember the last bit because that was five hundred years ago

Yeah I forgot that part with Kit getting the ring. This loving plotline. :suicide:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Crab Dad posted:

when this happened at a store I worked in 30 years ago we just cranked up the music and turned off the lights.

I worked at Sears back in the early 2000s and her experience matches mine. You were not permitted to ask anyone to leave, your shift just extended late into the night until all the fuckers got out of the store.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

How did that work with overtime and whatnot? My first retail job the store was pretty consistently staffed, so overtime basically didn't happen. 2nd one, they made sure it didn't happen. I know home office doesn't like to be shown conflicts in their logic, and it probably didn't come up often, but if my store had to pay an hour of overtime to at least 1 person (manager usually salaried, so they don't count) questions would be raised.

Honestly, I'm not sure any of us were given enough hours to get overtime. Maybe some of the long-timers, but as a summer seasonal worker, I was min-wagers at 35 hours a week tops. I never had enough hours to get OT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Medenmath posted:

"Have I no say in the matter?" asks a familiar voice.

Your parents are Val and Aleta. No, kid, you haven't a say. Ever.