Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

This year I resolve to play more video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

What will be your GotY 2023?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I started off the new year with Shootas, Blood, and Teef. I'm not crazy about it. The guns feel extremely weak. Like, a regular drat Guardsman takes two shotgun blasts to kill. And I'm playing on easy!

Also, the controls are wild. You aim with one stick and move with the other. Which I'm guessing works fine on a computer but on a controller that's gonna be pretty tough to do precisely so it kinda auto aims a little, but not well at all. Shooting at stuff above or below you is not easy

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Waffleman_ posted:

There are rumors of a Horizon Zero Dawn remake being in development

Sony has three games.

wasn't that on PS4? Can't you just play it on your PS5?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

hatty posted:

Didn’t stop TLOU

That's different, the PS5 can't play PS3 games

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Armored Core 6 gonna introduce a whole new generation of gamers to tank controls.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

poo poo wrong thread

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 2, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

What's a good browser based tower defense game?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

How did Metroid Prime 4 turn out? I remember people were really excited for it but I guess it must've been a dud

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Mode 7 posted:

#MassiveBlahBores.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Mr Hootington posted:

I've yet to see a game that appeals to me coming out in 2023.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMqvC507g1M

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/NaughtyNDC/status/1611435607074672640?s=20&t=iHPSm7NuPkXl1zUGiaJ_cw

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/pewfox1/status/1611228979830161408?s=46&t=PItDBe6pwLYNXzUd7pvNMw

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/atomicthumbs/status/1612181306716344321?s=20&t=N-cmdq9SG1Kx6R0vpEk7Tg

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/60Minutes/status/1612259213253742593?s=20&t=chaUXP63fMnMUb9gSpxWdA

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gaius Marius posted:

I haven't played a single game yet this year, feels good man

I played like an hour of Shootas, Blood, and Teef before deciding I didn't like it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

This is a good video game video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQYaRJ7RIvc

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I started playing Nier

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Looper posted:

the tedium is partly the point

huh

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I knew Nier was an action game, but I wasn't expecting it to seamlessly transition back and forth between 3d character action, sidescroller, and SHMUP. That is extremely cool I've gotten to the open world, which does have me a bit worried because the built level that did those transitions was great, but I'll see how it goes. I want to pet the moose.

I've also become somewhat concerned about the morality of 2B's mission

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

What the gently caress am I supposed to do with all this copper ore?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

if there's a smithy in this game I haven't unlocked it yet

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

man I just know there's gonna be some kind of wild twist with these aliens

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I gotta be honest, I was not expecting the aliens to actually be aliens. Now I'm starting to wonder if maybe there actually are humans on the moon.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

holy poo poo Romeos and Juliets

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I wasnt planning on doing a lot of sidequests in Nier but if there's stuff like Romeos and Juliets hidden behind them I'm going to have to do a lot of them

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

victrix posted:

only tangentially related to vidya, but I'm enjoying watching wizards of the coast speedrun burning D&D to the ground

Times like this I'm glad I got into Warhammer instead of D&D

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

AlphaKeny1 posted:

MTG has gotten pretty bad with releases in recent years with 2022 being the most egregious so far especially when they released the magic 30th set.

Secret lairs are coming out left and right and it's hard to keep up with if you're a collector. There's collectors editions for every set now, too. Release schedule has been sped up so nearly every month you need to buy something, compared with the 3 month cycle they used to do. Especially now that they print commander specific sets, it just feels like you're drowning. They show no signs of slowing down this year.

There are no more block sets, only standalone sets which I guess makes sense but good bye if you used to like older drafting blocks.

The prof at Tolarian Academy has really good vids on a lot of problems with modern mtg.

https://youtu.be/uTzmmiSvtFU

Speaking of Warhammer, they did a colab with Warhammer recently and put out some Warhammer Magic the Gathering decks. I thought I might pick one up as a curiosity even though I don't play Magic, but then I found out they were 60 dollars each. 60 dollars for a deck of cards.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Where the gently caress are these YoRHa betrayers?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I don't have any nerd tattoos but someone on Twitter posted some art of the Gundam Wing boys drawn in Simpsons style and that's tempting to me.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I’m playing Nier and I’m lost. I’m supposed to look for 9s, I got a scanner, but there’s no indication where I’m supposed to look. Am I really supposed to just run around the entire map until… something happens?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm playing through that factory cult part of Niew and I died at least 15 minutes after the most recent save point. And that factory setup is so repetitive that during multiple points I was wondering if I had messed up and was just running in circles. So I'm not feeling up to redoing that tonight.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I beat Nier. Pretty fun. The combat and character design was great, the seamless transition between 3D action, 2D action, and Shmup was fantastic. But the bosses didn’t have a lot of personality and I think I spent more time running around the hub world than actually doing the levels.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

hatty posted:

Did you get ending E?

I didn’t even know there were alternate endings. I got the one where 9S becomes a bunch of machines.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

lol keep playing.

I'm not really a postgame content kinda guy. People hyped up the side missions too but aside from the stamps one at the amusement park none of the others I did had much going on.

I tried fishing a couple times. Couldn't figure it out.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Oxxidation posted:

I don’t know if this is a bit, but you’re like 1/4 of the way into the game

Oh. I've played another game that did that, had the credits roll well before the game was actually over. I can't recall what it was. MGSV?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Barudak posted:

Gripweed, you can quit at any time. The game doesn't change, if you arent having fun now you won't be having fun later.

I enjoyed the game. I had some criticisms, the lack of personality in the bosses and the amount of time spent in the hub world compared to the proper levels, but I still enjoyed the game.

I forgot to mention that I found the plot resolution rather underwhelming, but I guess that's because I hadn't properly beaten the game yet.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Mr Hootington posted:

You have to play and beat the game like 5 or 6 times.

I don't think I liked it that much. I'll get to the proper end, but I don't replay games very often.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Barudak posted:

Ive got all achievements and all trophies in Nier Automata and its honestly a pretty middling game. I wouldn't make yourself keep playing if your reaction to "the ending feels incomplete" is to just stop playing even with people yelling at you thats not the actual end of the game.

Dude, I have other stuff going on. I played the game for like an hour today to get to the first credits. The fact that I didn't immediately drop everything to go spend more time on the game when I found out that there's more after the credits doesn't mean I didn't like the game, it just means I am a person who has to do things other than gaming and I already spent a decent chunk of time today gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Escobarbarian posted:

The new routes aren’t replays they are completely different things. Nier Automata is GOAT-level and route A is barely scratching the surface

Wait, so there isn't more after the credits, beating it once just unlocks other routes?

Why the gently caress didn't you people just say that instead of being weirdly cryptic for no reason?