Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

The new Fire Emblem might be good, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I'm not fact checking this but I can only assume that
Flash Party [PC] – January 10, is an Atari 50 style collection of the hottest Flash games from the early 00s

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Gripweed posted:

What will be your GotY 2023?

Xenoblade Chronicles 3

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

External Organs posted:

Are there any games that give you the same joy as getting into your second cup of coffee on a Monday morning? It's a complex kind of joy ..

I was going to say Dragon Quest, but that's more of a tea game

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Mr Hootington posted:

My 2023 GotY list so far is
1. Fortnite

:rms:

I accidentally looked at some Fortnite gameplay footage earlier today and thought "that looks sort of okay"

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Sakurazuka posted:

NFTs also have a different perception in Japan, less insane crypto bros and more 'oh this is just like the personalised cards you can scan in Japanese arcades for stuff'.

From what I read about what the Square-man actually said, there's apparently some big Digitalization thing being pushed by the Japanese government so there might be some sweet government subsidies in it for Squeenix

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

victrix posted:

my medium hot take for the day: vampire survivors is a significant bellwether for the game industry - but not for games, for gamers

specifically, dopamine poisoning across gaming and social media has become so normalized that an entire game (and now, genre) built around slot machine psychology was destined for widespread success

number go up? player happy

flashing lights go boom? player happy

unlocks and achievements galore? player happy

my opinion on this is almost entirely divorced from the game itself (which is decent) or the genre gold rush (some of which are decent)

it's more just bemusement at how these types of mechanics aren't just encouraged or embraced, they're actively demanded by players, who will complain if a game doesn't have enough grind and isn't repayable for infinity hours

I suppose the success of auto battlers and idle games was sort of a hint at this already, and VS' ability to run on a toaster and an incredibly low cost both helped to grease the tracks

looking forward to Ubisoft or Actibliz's open world AAA clone with loot crates, a battle pass and a cosmetic shop. maybe some nfts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9kXKzYorFo

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Dabir posted:

There's already a perfectly good Hobbit video game, it came out in like 2003 and it's great

Now, I finally realize what that weird wizard mmo someone posted about reminded me of

bone emulator fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 4, 2023

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

thehoodie posted:

god drat xenoblade chronicles 3 is so good.

:yeah:

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I'd beat up Star Citizen and take its lunch money (10 billion dollars)

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

oh, that's just his middle finger

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

RE4 really was so good. Its so over the top stupid sometimes. But never overly so. It hit that sweet spot of being enoyably corny. Plus its fun to play.

Man did they gently caress up that formula up for RE5

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

ymgve posted:

How much Russian are the devs of this? I see them referred to everywhere as a Russian game studio but their own site says they were founded in Cyprus. Lot of cyrillic in their studio photos though.

They are a Russian studio with their headquarters in Cyprus, probably because exporting things from Russia is ... you know.

also, this is from wikipedia:

Controversy

In January 2019, a report was published on gaming forum ResetEra that cited anonymous sources within Mundfish who reported about mass layoffs and incompetency at the studio.[3][12][13] The report stated that development had been rebooted as of August 2018, and it resulted in a gameplay downgrade.

In November 2022 a report was published on gaming forum ResetEra that cited an article on DTF.ru published on October 17, 2022, by Andrey Apanasik who reported crunch, bad management, no milestones set, reboots, multiple prototypes, feature creep, high turnover rate.[14][15][16]

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

if you think about it Resident Evil only makes sense for 1 and 7, since they take place in mansions i.e residences.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

this is why the cube is the optimal shape for a games console

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I played an On-Line Multi-Player First Person Shooting game today and when our team failed to capture the objective, somebody kept going on about santanoobs in the chat, which is a phrase I've never heard before, but he kept using it like it was a very common thing that everybody knew about.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

can't wait to snipe these dogs and get the xp treasure in that wagon, gonna get me a shipment of some sweet cannons

( don't worry the dogs are evil)

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Shinmera posted:

Oh hey, Kandria is my game. Didn't realise January was this crowded, dang.

the fishing looks pretty neat

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Rarity posted:

Congrats to this forum's Game of the Year 2022 Elden Ring Triangle Strategy for its record-breaking 1199 points :toot:

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Hwurmp posted:

sometimes I say "GG," even when the g was not g

when it was in fact, b

:mods:

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I think I heard something on a podcast or something about the weird social manipulation and psychology behind those weird mobile ads.
It's something about targeting people they know won't be interested in the actual game, but are enticed by some strange narrative hook that never exists outside the ad. Wish I could remember were I heard/read it but it was both fascinating and frightening stuff.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

you ever sit around minding your own business, when suddenly your brain decides to remind of that weird magazine ad for the Half-Life expansion Opposing Force?

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Putting Sonic 06 as your GOTY in 2021 owns btw

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

This is violence

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Weird to think about that the generation that watched racist gamers on YouTube since infancy are almost adults

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Xenoblade 3 has the worst kind of RPG shoopkeeper, the ones that gives you poo poo if you don't buy anything. It's not my fault their inventory is bad :(

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Rarity posted:

Filthy capitalists can gently caress right off imo

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

The 7th Guest posted:

the resetera GOTY doesn't require explanations for votes so almost every post is just a plain numbered list

but i gotta give it up to the one guy who voted lawn mower simulator #1 and powerwash simulator #2. a real gamer awash in that ocean

can a GOTY thread were someone does not submit their list as a .wad really be considered a real GOTY thread?

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Waffleman_ posted:

Skull & Bones got delayed again, lol.

they needed all hands on deck to write more cusses for the monkey in Beyond Good & Evil 2 which is stealth dropping next month

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Kerrzhe posted:

my problem is i can't fuckin think of any

i dont play dad games or semi-dad games and i don't know of any mom games

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

the best way to watch tv is to have it on your second monitor while you play a map game or something similar and occasionally glance at it.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Volte posted:

I just replaced my dual monitor setup with a single ultrawide OLED. I'm entering a new era of focused gaming here.

The word lifehack is thrown around a lot these days

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

External Organs posted:

Is this....about the new Rabbids game?

It looks cool I just know that in a year it'll be like 10 bux.

it was 50% off almost immediately after release

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I don't think Xbox consoles are selling that much. Probably better than the Xbone, but who knows.
The PS5, despite what you've might have read in this thread, is actually very popular.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Feels Villeneuve posted:

every time i see a picture of someone's setup including a PS5 i lol

it is so loving huge

It's probably the silliest and least practical console design since, oh I don't know, the fat PS3.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

the slanted sandwich design of the PS4 was also really stupid and bad. Ironic that the best looking Sony console is the one were they just copied the design from some weird rear end old computer:

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Seemed at the time like Sony was thinking the console market was dead and put in the least amount of effort they possibly could in the PS4. Even at release it was pretty under-powered. But, idk I definitely enjoyed playing games on it, bought it on some sort of sale when the slim model was new and there was tons of cheap games for it

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Looper posted:

look I'm just gonna say it: vertical consoles are for freaks

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I said come in! posted:

Xbox is where all of the chill gamers go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

what a ... surprise?